• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahem..

New ABC/WaPo poll

LV
Obama 49
Romney 46

Swing States
Obama 51
Romney 46

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...es-for-romney-obama-has-a-right-track-retort/

He's got this.
Obama-Smiling-Sit-Room1.jpg

Trurl

Banned
I wonder what it would be like if America went to a national popular vote for electing the president. So much that we know about American presidential elections would change. Would elections become so expensive that it would make 2012 look cheap?

Paches

I wonder what it would be like if America went to a national popular vote for electing the president. So much that we know about American presidential elections would change. Would elections become so expensive that it would make 2012 look cheap?

For sure, they would have to go nation wide instead of laser focusing on a handful of states. It would be insane.

AniHawk

may be too early to say this but

man what a crazy fucking week

good thing we all kept level heads, especially me, with how level my head was.

By the way, Obama's margin in the last ABC/WaPo poll was only 2. So this is actually an improvement since before the debate.

AniHawk said:
may be too early to say this but

man what a crazy fucking week

good thing we all kept level heads, especially me, with how level my head was.
Yeah, it's great that we all kept cool in the line of fire. Especially diablos, he took it like a champ.

AniHawk

wait what the hell is going on with their sample:

Partisan divisions in this survey, Democrats-Republicans-independents, are 33-22-37 percent among the general population, 34-25-36 percent among registered voters and 35-26-33 percent among likely voters. Partisan divisions in the 2008 exit poll were 39-32-29 percent.

By the way, Obama's margin in the last ABC/WaPo poll was only 2. So this is actually an improvement since before the debate.

Yeah, it's great that we all kept cool in the line of fire. Especially diablos, he took it like a champ.

Yup, ABC/WaPo showed the race very close even when others had Obama running away with it. Would be good to see some pro-Obama movement in trackers too now.

Which also brings to light the lack of non-tracking national polls this Election year :(

Partisan divisions in this survey, Democrats-Republicans-independents, are 33-22-37 percent among the general population, 34-25-36 percent among registered voters and 35-26-33 percent among likely voters. Partisan divisions in the 2008 exit poll were 39-32-29 percent.

I like that Independent number, but the Republican number? Ugh.

Trurl

Banned
For sure, they would have to go nation wide instead of laser focusing on a handful of states. It would be insane.

The importance of the "undecided voter" would probably be greatly diminished as the campaigns would have to motivate as many people as possible in red and blue states to vote.

It would be a lot of fun to see strategists have to figure things out during the first few cycles. They'd have to write entirely new playbooks.

wait what the hell is going on with their sample:
Ah. Good eye.

Is there anyone who can unskew these numbers for us? thx

when PoliGAF and Dating-GAF collide!

I went out with a pretty cool woman, and we seem to be getting along pretty well. I'm walking her back to her car, and we were chatting about a part time job she had (in addition to her full time job).

She then told me that she did get offered a promotion at the part time job, but she didn't take it because that would've moved her into a higher tax bracket...

I got alphanoided :/

I was kinda stunned so I didn't even get a chance to respond, lol. She's not like a hardcore conservative or anything, but man. I kinda feel like I should've clarified how it worked (without somehow making her feel dumb, lol)

Seriously speaking, based on the other polls, this would be considered an outlier.

You do realize that, right?

Nope. TIPPS, Reuteurs, RAND, Gallup RV, and now this poll all show Obama up. +1 to +4 in them all (two have +4).

In fact, only Ras and Gallup LV poll has it for Romney right now. I would say the polls, in aggregate, have moved about 2 points in Romney favor suggesting a 2 point shift. And since Obama was up about 4-5, this puts the race where it should have been.

In fact, since most expected to tighten, one wonders if all Romney did was "bring home" his base 2 weeks sooner than expected and nothing more.

Not that I think Obama can have another terrible debate, of course.

Finally, PD would have lost our bet. I've been right in that the model went down 2 straight days and RAND went up for him.

Trurl

Banned

I went out with a pretty cool woman, and we seem to be getting along pretty well. I'm walking her back to her car, and we were chatting about a part time job she had (in addition to her full time job).

She then told me that she did get offered a promotion at the part time job, but she didn't take it because that would've moved her into a higher tax bracket...

I was kinda stunned so I didn't even get a chance to respond, lol. She's not like a hardcore conservative or anything, but man. I kinda feel like I should've clarified how it worked (without somehow making her feel dumb, lol)

I wonder if any employer has ever given this as an excuse for not giving a pay raise.

"Gary, you do great work for the company and I'd love to pay you more because you deserve it, but if your earnings go up you'll be put in a higher tax bracket and end up taking less home over all. That'd hurt both of us, Gary. Please understand."

watershed

Banned

You definitely should have cleared her up on how progressive income tax works. Plus, if you play you're cards right you only stand to benefit from her making more money.

I wonder if any employer has ever given this as an excuse for not giving a pay raise.

"Gary, you do great work for the company and I'd love to pay you more because you deserve it, but if your earnings go up you'll be put in a higher tax bracket and end up taking less home over all. That'd hurt both of us, Gary. Please understand."

This totally happened to me only a few weeks ago. I work outside the US but basically one of the higher ups suggested that I should take less pay because if I took the pay I deserved it would end up with me getting taxed more. I said let that be my problem, I can handle it and got my fair pay.

I might bother volunteering in my area if that were the case. Louisiana isn't exactly a swing state. =/

Nope. TIPPS, Reuteurs, RAND, Gallup RV, and now this poll all show Obama up. +1 to +4 in them all (two have +4).

In fact, only Ras and Gallup LV poll has it for Romney right now. I would say the polls, in aggregate, have moved about 2 points in Romney favor suggesting a 2 point shift. And since Obama was up about 4-5, this puts the race where it should have been.

In fact, since most expected to tighten, one wonders if all Romney did was "bring home" his base 2 weeks sooner than expected and nothing more.

Not that I think Obama can have another terrible debate, of course.

Finally, PD would have lost our bet. I've been right in that the model went down 2 straight days and RAND went up for him.

Glad to be wrong.

I think Reuters was still +1 R today?

Should have clarified it for her. I do that and people may look at me as overeducated pompous asshole, but fuck it, that's their problem.

I keep thinking no one tuned into the RNC and Mitt had his "here I am America, aren't I cool" moment in the debates and not back during his convention. It "explains" the polling discrepancy almost completely ( swing states less impacted, as they have been bombarded with information for a while now, whereas the national polls swung a lot ) and reconciles the complete lack of an RNC bounce.

I think on election day we will be back to status quo of the race - Obama by two or three, and Republicans will manage to find a valid but rough electoral path for Mittens and it will fail for them like it failed for Kerry in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom