• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
we were in a good mood with the ABC poll last night and most of today. Now we are fighting with each other again.
If anything this enhances Hillary's stature as people get to croon about how accountable and responsible she is.

The only people who'd hold it against her are wingnuts.

And Obama supporters will not forget her loyalty in four years.

Cloudy

Banned
The Obama Campaign should have stayed quiet concerning that poll. It makes them seem desperate and whiny.

Let the facts bear out.

You have a point but letting the "losing" narrative get out of hand this close to election day is dangerous. You want to be winning or tied going into election day. That's why the debate tomorrow is so important

You have a point but letting the "losing" narrative get out of hand this close to election day is dangerous. You want to be winning or tied going into election day. That's why the debate tomorrow is so important

Based on the idea that any of this bullshit makes a difference when it comes to election day. There is a hypothesis that those perceived as winning gain more votes, I don't see that it has anything to do with this election.

JCizzle

Well, she did, pretty much, because it's the truth. Embassies and consulates are the State Department. She's the SecState. I mean, Obama is the top guy and he shares the responsibility because he appointed her and he's supposed to stay on top of things. But at the same time, this was something that was supposed to be handled by her office.

And it's not like this even directly involved her, either. Some undersecretary didn't make the right call or was too slow. And Foreign Service in a post-revolutionary country is still dangerous, no matter how good security is. Still, Hillary was right to own this. The Foreign Service is hers.

The State Dept is so comically underfunded I find it hard to fault them for much of anything. Blaming State for intel failures was an even bigger lol during one of the debates.

I mean, with that said (just like 99.9% of these situations), it wasn't her fault nor was it any one persons. But where's the fun in that.

Al-ibn Kermit

I think Obama will be considered the "winner" of the debates tomorrow only if Romney does a big gaffe or gets caught in a flip flop. So basically it all depends on what questions the voters ask.

RDreamer

So, someone linked Romney's plan in the other thread. So, I was flipping through, and these things caught my eye:

Long-Term Goal: Pursue a Fairer, Flatter, Simpler Tax Structure

In the long run, Mitt Romney will pursue a conservative overhaul of the tax
system that includes lower and flatter rates on a broader tax base.

How the fuck does a flatter tax fit at all with him saying now that he's going to keep the progressivity in the code?

Also:

As president,
Romney will seek to eliminate taxation on capital gains, dividends, and interest
for any taxpayer with an adjusted gross income of under $200,000, helping
Americans to prepare for retirement and enjoy the freedom that accompanies
financial security.

Alright, does this mean what I think it means? Would this mean if you got all of your money from Capital Gains and didn't make above $200,000 of normal salary (like a lot of rich people do), you wouldn't get taxed on your capital gains?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Alright, does this mean what I think it means? Would this mean if you got all of your money from Capital Gains and didn't make above $200,000 of normal salary (like a lot of rich people do), you wouldn't get taxed on your capital gains?

It means capital gains cuts on the wealthy and upper middle class without offering any actual cuts to the poor and middle class. We have IRAs and 401ks...remember? We don't need this for retirement, unless you're maxing out 5k in IRA and $17000 in 401k.

It says gross income, not wage or salary.

I know that Obama doesn't want to go ABM but couldn't he just go Stump Obama and start taking playful shots and calling Romney out directly on his shit?

Fuck looking Presidential.

Clinton didn't look "presidential" at the DNC and he absolutely destroyed. He didn't have a hint of angry on his face.

So, someone linked Romney's plan in the other thread. So, I was flipping through, and these things caught my eye:

How the fuck does a flatter tax fit at all with him saying now that he's going to keep the progressivity in the code?

Also:

No. Capital gains are part of AGI. The tax rates for above $200k would be the Bush rates, anyone who earns less would pay $0.

I actually like the notion of the middle class paying $0 capital gains taxes but I wouldn't tack it to AGI but rather just make the capital gains rate itself progressive.

Of course, I'd rather eliminate capital gains and payroll and just have income taxes...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Ah, duh. I suppose I was just wondering if Capital gains counted as gross income. Had a brainfart. I thought it did, but wanted to be sure. I guess it does, so that's not too terrible.

unless he was taking a deliberate cut to 200k of his massive 20 million income...definitely not. Don't be daft.

The Ryan plan, however, eliminated capital gains rates completely. So Mitt would have paid under 1% in income taxes the last 2 years if Ryan's plan had its way.

RDreamer

unless he was taking a deliberate cut to 200k of his massive 20 million income...definitely not. Don't be daft.

lol, no I wasn't thinking that. I was just being dumb I suppose and completely missed the "gross" part of adjusted gross income the first time. So, for a moment I thought it was a weird loophole where if you made all your money in capital gains, yay you have to pay taxes on none of it, since your actual income from salary would be less than the 200k. I'm dumb. I apologize. Probably shouldn't be looking at tax plans while this tired, lol

No. Capital gains are part of AGI. The tax rates for above $200k would be the Bush rates, anyone who earns less would pay $0.

I actually like the notion of the middle class paying $0 capital gains taxes but I wouldn't tack it to AGI but rather just make the capital gains rate itself progressive.

Of course, I'd rather eliminate capital gains and payroll and just have income taxes...

Yeah, I'd agree with this.

Trurl

Banned
Is anyone watching JK Rowling on The Daily Show? She made a few comments about how she has not avoided the UK's tax rates as a way of repaying society for the time that she survived through government benefits. It was refreshing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is anyone watching JK Rowling on The Daily Show? She made a few comments about how she has not avoided the UK's tax rates as a way of repaying society for the time that she survived through government benefits. It was refreshing.

Another example where self made vs inherited makes so much difference.

Forever

Banned
I know that Obama doesn't want to go ABM but couldn't he just go Stump Obama and start taking playful shots and calling Romney out directly on his shit?

Clinton didn't look "presidential" at the DNC and he absolutely destroyed. He didn't have a hint of angry on his face.

I think Clinton looked very Presidential in his own folksy way at the DNC.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea I caught that, she's good people.

Clinton is Clinton. Obama isn't good at off the cuff riffing, and I have a feeling Romney will get the better of him in terms of those types of exchanges. And we don't know how Crowley will be moderating; after the fuck up in the first debate I expect moderators to be very focused on keeping things under control whenever possible.

Romney is going to harp on the emotional impact of this economy, and I'm not sure Obama will effectively remind people where we were four years ago compared to now. However, I really want to see the healthcare debate. Obama should definitely harp on Romney's ridiculous emergency room comments and more importantly remind voters that Romney has no idea what a regular person goes through when sick

I wonder if that discussion made Stewart ashamed for dodging taxes. Probably not

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What a shame that such an illustrious career could be marred by this. I guess the only good thing is that she's going out with the same dignity and selfless spirit that has defined her entire life, so perhaps this is bittersweet. Still, it's sad nothing has changed in terms of her being abused by men in power.

What in the actual fuck is going through your brain?

Averon

Is there an explanation as to why Thompson imploded? I remember he came out of the primary in a pretty strong polling position.

What a shame that such an illustrious career could be marred by this. I guess the only good thing is that she's going out with the same dignity and selfless spirit that has defined her entire life, so perhaps this is bittersweet. Still, it's sad nothing has changed in terms of her being abused by men in power.

I'm enjoying this meltdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom