• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still think a decisive Obama victory would get fair play in the media. Just not with CNN.

Also candy is horrible on regular tv. How'd she get picked?

HylianTom

Banned
I still think a decisive Obama victory would get fair play in the media. Just not with CNN.

Also candy is horrible on regular tv. How'd she get picked?
Yeah.. I could see an "Obama comeback" narrative being hatched tonight, especially if he's particularly good tonight. Or if Romney's particularly bad.

dschalter

Indeed.

I can see where folks may be convinced that Obama is headed for a popular vote defeat.. but the level of fear over the Electoral College is, at the moment, a bit overboard.

the idea of an electoral college win with a popular vote defeat is massively overplayed. it's not impossible of course, but it's very unlikely and could end up the other way.

Tamanon

Banned
It's going to be a weird moderation this time, CNN loves being wimps to anyone on their stage, but also I don't think they want her to put out a stinker compared to the VP moderator. Pride talks now.

Tendo

If you are scared, act. Don't sit and chicken little. Obamas campaign page is slick and makes getting involved super easy.

Don't complain about a problem you aren't doing anything to make better.

Feels good to get involved too. :)

Y2Kev

New Hampshire hates Obama. That's why they voted for Hillary. They will see the disgusting way Obama has thrown Hillary under the bus and vote for Romney. Think of how alone Hillary must feel.

Unless Obama is able to catch Romney's lies quickly and succinctly, Romney will capture the flow of the debate again. He's willing to lie and flip and will keep it up because it apparently works and NO one is calling him on it.

Hopefully OBama proves me wrong

norinrad

Seriously, can we at least wait until after the debate to excoriate the man? God, such needless defeatism.

Throwing him under the bus before the debate will motivate him to keep his pants on this time around and take that liar apart piece by piece

Yeah.. I could see an "Obama comeback" narrative being hatched tonight, especially if he's particularly good tonight. Or if Romney's particularly bad.

It's incredibly hard to be bad @ a Town Hall Debate.

On a related note, how many here think that 47% will be a question?

Also, will abortion come up again, since it was already raised @ the VP debate?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
New Hampshire hates Obama. That's why they voted for Hillary. They will see the disgusting way Obama has thrown Hillary under the bus and vote for Romney. Think of how alone Hillary must feel.

Goddammit PD give it a rest.

wat

from that point to "non-medical doctors aren't real doctors" and "obama doesn't want to be president anymore" I don't know what the fuck you're on lately.

Also why bother bringing up that point when you contradicted it in your same post by saying Romney wouldn't be able to capitalize on it without further resembling a smarmy politician.

I'm looking at the opportunities on both sides - to say Libya is not an opportunity for Romney is nonsense. How much of an opportunity, I don't know/

On the "doctors" thing, I was half-joking. I like to think of being on plane when someone has a heart attack and the captain asks "Is there a doctor on the plane?" and all the English PhDs raise their hand and he says "Sorry, I meant a REAL doctor" and they all bow their head in shame.

pigeon

Banned
So let's talk about something else -- California propositions!

Here's what I have:

Yes on 34, 35, 36, 37, 39, 40
No on 31, 32, 33

I know I want to support one of 30 or 38, but I'm pretty unclear on which. 30 seems superior since it avoids the trigger cuts? But 38 raises more cash. I'll probably vote 30 for Jerry Brown if there's nothing I'm missing.

(And yes, I'm voting for GMO labelling. Sorry, you can just put me down as crazy if you want.)

HylianTom

Banned
Given early voting, it would really take a huge catastrophe to flip Ohio.

Not that Obama is incapable of a huge catastrophe, mind you.

Agreed. If he leads by 40% for the first 1/4th of the vote, Romney has to win the remaining vote by a ridiculous margin just to pull even. It's funny watching the media tiptoe around this whenever the state is brought-up.

In 2008 the race was called at 10pm EST right? Might go a little later this year.
We'll either be waiting for Virginia, Iowa, or - worst case - Nevada. If one key state is close, perhaps even later.

Y2Kev

Right, off by an hour. Might be a long night.
I'm not sure. They have 2-3 hrs to call Iowa. That will basically end the race.

If its super tight (and to be frank we have no indication it is right now) then this could go on into the night...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Here's what I have:

No on 31, 32, 33

I know I want to support one of 30 or 38, but I'm pretty unclear on which. 30 seems superior since it avoids the trigger cuts? But 38 raises more cash. I'll probably vote 30 for Jerry Brown if there's nothing I'm missing.

(And yes, I'm voting for GMO labelling. Sorry, you can just put me down as crazy if you want.)

Florida was easy, No on everything. (11 is up for debate, but seniors already have a pretty good deal with property taxes).

Forever

Banned
I'm not sure. They have 2-3 hrs to call Iowa. That will basically end the race.
Just watched some old election coverage, seems that Iowa was called at 10pm EST. Could take longer this time but I think they should have it before 11.

Iowa and Ohio will clinch it.

Here's what I have:

No on 31, 32, 33

In Ohio, we have only two.

Issue 1 is to allow for a constitutional convention. Not sure how I feel on that since I feel like it would just lead to chaos, but I don't think it'll pass.

Big yes on Issue 2, which the GOP is throwing a shitfit over. It shifts redistricting to a citizen commission. Gee, I wonder why they're so upset:

FINAL_CONG_MAP-2012-592x641.jpg

It's because they couldn't gerrymander the fuck out of the state anymore.

A123 went bankrupt. That is a hit to the gut that is going to be brought up tonight.

This sucks. If they had got the Volt contract they probably would have been fine. The good news is that Johnson Controls snapped them up so they'll continue on but politically this really hurts Obama.

Obama better have a good answer for this.

So the race basically comes down to NV, CO, IA, OH, VA, FL.

Obama's (9) Winning Combinations: OH/IA, FL, OH/VA, OH/NV, VA/IA, OH/CO, VA/NV, VA/CO, CO/NV/IA

Romney's (4) Winning Combinations: FL/OH/VA/CO, FL/OH/VA/NV, FL/OH/VA/IA, FL/OH/CO/NV/IA.

I think the 3 bolded are his best bet. Also, Romney is kinda screwed in that he needs OH.

Trakdown

A123 went bankrupt. That is a hit to the gut that is going to be brought up tonight.

This sucks. If they had got the Volt contract they probably would have been fine. The good news is that Johnson Controls snapped them up so they'll continue on but politically this really hurts Obama.

I sincerely doubt this is in tonight's questions.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Anyone have any idea about the sequestering budget cuts? I've been reading a lot of studies lately that this could lead (especially the medicare cuts) to as many as 700,000 jobs being lost over the next decade (just from the medicare cuts). This leads me to think that the Repubs will go into full stalling mode just to let this happen, because it'll hurt Obama. I always assumed that no way could these cuts to Medicare (and the military, and other federal programs that people depend on) go through, but now I wonder.

In Ohio, we have only two.

Issue 1 is to allow for a constitutional convention. Not sure how I feel on that since I feel like it would just lead to chaos, but I don't think it'll pass.

Big yes on Issue 2, which the GOP is throwing a shitfit over. It shifts redistricting to a citizen commission. Gee, I wonder why they're so upset:

FINAL_CONG_MAP-2012-592x641.jpg

It's because they couldn't gerrymander the fuck out of the state anymore.

I'm voting yes on both issues - if Issue 1 passes it could lead to recalls being added to the Ohio constitution, something I'd be pretty okay with.

Tamanon

Banned
Anyone have any idea about the sequestering budget cuts? I've been reading a lot of studies lately that this could lead (especially the medicare cuts) to as many as 700,000 jobs being lost over the next decade (just from the medicare cuts). This leads me to think that the Repubs will go into full stalling mode just to let this happen, because it'll hurt Obama. I always assumed that no way could these cuts to Medicare (and the military, and other federal programs that people depend on) go through, but now I wonder.

Might happen, if only because it's easier to get a bill passed replacing the spending and certain cuts than to negotiate what they need to to avoid it. So if it does pass, it won't really be in effect for long.

Trakdown

Romney will bring it up - doesn't have to be in a question. Anything related to green energy or energy independence allows the tangent.

Mitt would be downright fucking stupid to bring up letting companies go bankrupt if he's honestly trying to make a play for Ohio.

The answer as it was before when solyndra was brought up is that the program as a whole has a success rate in the very high 90 percent range. By anyones definition it's a good investment. I think Biden brought up your average hedge fund has a success rate in the 60 percent range.

There's a story on TPM right now saying Romney plans on demanding Obama "man up" and take responsibility for Libya, aimed at politicizing Hillary's resignation. Very interesting trap that I'm not sure Obama will be prepared to handle

HylianTom

Banned
I think the 3 bolded are his best bet. Also, Romney is kinda screwed in that he needs OH.
Yeah..

I'm doing some rough back-of-the-napkin math here.

Let's assume that PPP's poll is roughly right.

About 20% of the population has voted already.
About 80% of the population (at most) is expected to vote in this election. {This was ~66% in 2008.}

Obama won the already-voted group, 76-24. That's a 52-point lead.
In order to pull slightly ahead, Romney would have to win the remaining 75% of the vote by about 18%.

First quartile of vote: 76-24
Second quartile: 59-41
Third quartile: 59-41
Fourth quartile: 59-41

Total: 199-201 >>> 49.75% for Obama, 50.25% for Romney

And if turnout is even less, around 2008 levels, Romney would have to win by an even larger margin.

I don't see Romney making-up that kind of margin.

Y2Kev

There's a story on TPM right now saying Romney plans on demanding Obama "man up" and take responsibility for Libya, aimed at politicizing Hillary's resignation. Very interesting trap that I'm not sure Obama will be prepared to handle
Romney trying to protect Hillary from the firestorm?

I have no idea what to feel!

Forever

Banned

Hillary announced her resignation like a year ago.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Not as alone as Obama, with his loveless marriage and his constant use of his power to abuse women.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Sometimes even after serious "well-intentioned" intervention, companies go bust. Romney knows all about that. Only when they go bust, he profits.

Romney trying to protect Hillary from the firestorm?

I have no idea what to feel!

Man, that would cause some squirming. "Mr. President, Secretary Clinton took responsibility for the security lapse in Libya and said the Buck Stops With her. President Truman had a sign on his desk that said "The Buck Stops Here" and I fundamentally believe the buck stops with the President. Do you take any responsibility for the disaster in Libya and the loss of 4 Americans?"

How does he get out of that? I think the best thing he could say is "This happened on my watch and yes, I take responsibility." Anything else will come off bad.

teiresias

The answer as it was before when solyndra was brought up is that the program as a whole has a success rate in the very high 90 percent range. By anyones definition it's a good investment. I think Biden brought up your average hedge fund has a success rate in the 60 percent range.

That and I can't get behind the idea that the government should only be providing grants to completely tried and true businesses and tech. I mean, part of the reason for government expenditures in science is to do the things that are not projected to be profitable enough (or are simply too unknown or risky) for private enterprise to want to take the risk since they're all about getting a return.

gcubed

Sometimes even after serious "well-intentioned" intervention, companies go bust. Romney knows all about that. Only when they go bust, he profits.

yeah i mean, if obama was at all interested in the last debate the whole "you pick companies that go bankrupt" is an embarrassingly easy charge to come back from against Romney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom