• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

Gallup is the standard, and those 2 polls only seem to have gained a lot of credibility here the last few days when Gallup failed to show Obama coming back.

I think there is some cherry picking going on.
There certainly is, but we also have that Washington post/abc poll showing Obama up by +3 and it is a very reputable poll. I think it's likely Romney is up by 0-2% nationally, assuming likely voter screens are accurate, and with that kind of lead it is expected that on some days he is ahead by as much as 4-5%.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can't Obama get his Chicago boys to rig Gallup already?

The psychological damage is more worrying than anything else.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Can't Obama get his Chicago boys to rig Gallup already?

The psychological damage is more worrying than anything else.

Gallup is in Omaha, where nobody comes. Chicago politics don't work here with everyone as nice as they are...just don't come to north Omaha.

pigeon

Banned
Gallup is the standard, and those 2 polls only seem to have gained a lot of credibility here the last few days when Gallup failed to show Obama coming back.

I think there is some cherry picking going on.

This is the consequence of you showing up in the thread only when Romney started doing well. There was a lot of discussion of the four different tracking polls after the DNC, because they showed wildly different readings of Obama's bounce. Then as now, Gallup was the most right-leaning, RAND the furthest left. They did eventually converge. (And I stopped talking about Rasmussen entirely as part of my plan to eradicate them from existence.)

Regardless of what Gallup may or may not be doing correctly, I think we can safely call the national polls statistically tied at best right now, which is terrifying enough.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is the consequence of you showing up in the thread only when Romney started doing well. There was a lot of discussion of the four different tracking polls after the DNC, because they showed wildly different readings of Obama's bounce. Then as now, Gallup was the most right-leaning, RAND the furthest left. They did eventually converge.

Fair point. I do largely avoid this thread. For a relatively right leaning poster, this is account suicide if I get too carried away.

My personal feelings not withstanding, I do enjoy the actual political conversation and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

I don't know what polls are accurate, but I do know that Gallup recently changed their methodology to address the Obama camp complaints and that historically Gallup has a great track record- to try and trivialize the results right now after people were tracking it obsessively for signs of Romney's bump fading strikes me as cherry picking.

For the record, I think Obama is still a 65% favorite to win.

(i don't understand why you'd be using a 7-day sample instead of 4-day at this point in the first place even if the latter's more susceptible to noise - and this is directed at both gallup and RAND - but then i'm not super into polling)

Tim-E

Regardless of what Gallup may or may not be doing correctly, I think we can safely call the national polls statistically tied at best right now, which is terrifying enough.

As long as Obama is favored to win in Nevada, Iowa, and Ohio then there's no reason to care what national polls say.

Edit:
It may have been already discussed, but Virginia and Colorado are back in Obama's column (though slightly) on 538.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
All because Obama doesn't fancy debates. Hilarious.
I was honestly surprised how down on Obama's performance people were. The MSNBC meltdowns were lol. I suppose I'm a substance over style person which puts me in the minority, but I knew Romney was just talking loudly out of his ass. Obama's responses seemed to me more like he was actually thinking of a response based on what Romney said, where as Romney as just reciting talking points he had memorized. MSNBC should've spent all their meltdowns on what a horrible liar Romney was rather than about how Obama was a big sissy.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Man, that would cause some squirming. "Mr. President, Secretary Clinton took responsibility for the security lapse in Libya and said the Buck Stops With her. President Truman had a sign on his desk that said "The Buck Stops Here" and I fundamentally believe the buck stops with the President. Do you take any responsibility for the disaster in Libya and the loss of 4 Americans?"

How does he get out of that? I think the best thing he could say is "This happened on my watch and yes, I take responsibility." Anything else will come off bad.

This is the exact kind of inane and myopic questioning that makes political debates so useless.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The Daily Kos/PPP poll shows Obama cratering through a three day period

Friday (38%) Obama 47, Romney 49
Saturday (39%) Obama 49, Romney 47
Sunday (24%) Obama 43, Romney 55

He is down Friday, ahead Saturday, and down again on Sunday.. far from cratering... and that sunday number is just odd. Romney went up eight points in a day with no major news or issues? Looks like an outlier to me.

By your own standards though Gallup has no precedent for a President with approval above 48% to lose.

I don't think it'll be above that on Election Day though. I think we're seeing the early signs of the public, specifically independents and white voters, divorcing a likable incumbent right now. Romney can seal the deal tonight.

Voters agree with Obama on most issues yet he has failed to effectively communicate it effectively. I don't see that changing tonight; he won't bomb, but he'll be the same unclear and unfocused candidate he's been since late August.

Romney doesn't need Ohio to win

pigeon

Banned
Fair point. I do largely avoid this thread. For a relatively right leaning poster, this is account suicide if I get too carried away.

My personal feelings not withstanding, I do enjoy the actual political conversation and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

I don't know what polls are accurate, but I do know that Gallup recently changed their methodology to address the Obama camp complaints and that historically Gallup has a great track record- to try and trivialize the results right now after people were tracking it obsessively for signs of Romney's bump fading strikes me as cherry picking.

For the record, I think Obama is still a 65% favorite to win.

I don't want to trivialize them per se, I mean, that poll sucks. But the point is that PD is critiquing a particular claim by Mamba, and that particular claim was about the tracking polls, not necessarily a specific tracking poll. On average, Obama has been gaining in the tracking polls in the last few days. Would it be nice if he were doing better in Gallup? Sure. But I don't think that they're necessarily superior to all the others. (Nor do I really think we should be getting so obsessive about tracking polls in any case.)

Tuned into Rush and I think he has a good point about Romney's ability to control the debates, owing it to his time at Bain. How many 'flim flam" (Rush's word, I've never heard it before) men do you think Romney has had to deal with - guys in business who we all know that try and get by on BS, their companies are in the tank and asking Bain for more capital, etc. - people Romney needed to see through and shoot down as part of his business (suspend belief that he shut down companies for his own profit for a minute)?

Now, whether or not you agree that Obama is running on a failed record and trying to sell it, Romney may have more experience in actually controlling the room, versus being "given the room" as happens with a President.

I think we discount Romney's ability in this respect because he's awkward as a campaigner at times (most of the time). He might have a hard time relating to Joe Main Street, but we shouldn't project that on his ability to control a room when something is being sold/pitched/debated.

pigeon

Banned
I don't think it'll be above that on Election Day though. I think we're seeing the early signs of the public, specifically independents and white voters, divorcing a likable incumbent right now. Romney can seal the deal tonight.

Voters agree with Obama on most issues yet he has failed to effectively communicate it effectively. I don't see that changing tonight; he won't bomb, but he'll be the same unclear and unfocused candidate he's been since late August.

Draw us a map?

I voted for Bill Clinton in a 1996 Nickelodeon Presidential election.
I voted for Bob Dole on the principle of liking the name Bob better than Bill. I was five years old.

Don't mind if 'bams takes it, then.

pigeon said:
Draw us a map?
Most likely Romney victory without Ohio: http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=JjN

If Obama won any other swing state besides New Hampshire he'd win.

Kusagari

I honestly think a good number of people were just looking for a reason to support Romney.

The debate gave them that.

People that might not have liked Obama to begin with were basically required to vote for him in 2008 because of the Bush hatred and financial crisis.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't want to trivialize them per se, I mean, that poll sucks. But the point is that PD is critiquing a particular claim by Mamba, and that particular claim was about the tracking polls, not necessarily a specific tracking poll. On average, Obama has been gaining in the tracking polls in the last few days. Would it be nice if he were doing better in Gallup? Sure. But I don't think that they're necessarily superior to all the others. (Nor do I really think we should be getting so obsessive about tracking polls in any case.)

I'm not trying to call out Mamba or get personal, but I distinctly recall him predicting Gallup specifically was going to swing back to Obama.

Diablos

Holy shit, PPP/Gallup polling is absolutely devastating.

Just when I thought the bleeding had stopped... we had a lot of strong polling breaking in Obama's favor, now this. Not happy to see PA tightening either.

I did a double take when I saw the LV model. I thought it had Obama at 50%, not Romney. Fuck.

That is a really drastic swing from pre-debate. I don't know if surviving this one will be enough to pull Obama out of this ditch.

It's really incredible, this President has done so much to help people and now they are getting turned off because he turned in a bad debate. Granted, he should have known better, but if people think Romney is going to do a better job they're insane.

This is looking like 2000, where the GOP wins by a razor thin margin.

I think Gallup is much more credible at this point in the game.

Loudninja

Haha sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom