• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This seems appropriate.

iPg35SogqI26b.jpg

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=JjL

This is the most realistic win for Romney without Ohio, which I don't think is very realistic. If Obama is going to win Ohio I don't see him losing Iowa, Nevada, and New Hampshire.
He's got a huge built-in lead in Iowa. And he leads in Nevada polls even though those have a history of lowballing Democratic support.

I still think he wins Florida and Virginia but it doesn't matter, his firewall's holding strong.

Diablos

Seriously wtf is going on.

Gallup really scares me because they're the holy grail of polling at this point in a Presidential race. PPP is pretty damn good too.

He's got a huge built-in lead in Iowa. And he leads in Nevada polls even though those have a history of lowballing Democratic support.

I still think he wins Florida and Virginia but it doesn't matter, his firewall's holding strong.
If Mitt continues to widen his already 4-point LV lead the firewall is up for grabs.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Tuned into Rush and I think he has a good point about Romney's ability to control the debates, owing it to his time at Bain. How many 'flim flam" (Rush's word, I've never heard it before) men do you think Romney has had to deal with - guys in business who we all know that try and get by on BS, their companies are in the tank and asking Bain for more capital, etc. - people Romney needed to see through and shoot down as part of his business (suspend belief that he shut down companies for his own profit for a minute)?

Now, whether or not you agree that Obama is running on a failed record and trying to sell it, Romney may have more experience in actually controlling the room, versus being "given the room" as happens with a President.

I think we discount Romney's ability in this respect because he's awkward as a campaigner at times (most of the time). He might have a hard time relating to Joe Main Street, but we shouldn't project that on his ability to control a room when something is being sold/pitched/debated.

Come on, Romney is the flim flam man. Are you serious? Rush? Really now.

pigeon

Banned

Gallup really scares me because they're the holy grail of polling at this point in a Presidential race. PPP is pretty damn good too.

If Mitt continues to widen his already 4-point LV lead the firewall is up for grabs.

Gallup's likely voter spread is absurd. There's not going to be a four-point turnout difference. It's going to tighten up. I posted a Nate Cohn article about this two weeks ago.

Black Mamba?

This election was completely changed by the debate
Gallup is the only one showing this

Remember, Gallup also said Obama had no bounce from the convention after a week when everyone else had Obama up big.

Obama is up in five of the seven trackers and only Gallup is bigger than three.

Either Gallup knows something no one else has all year or they're missing something. Guess well find out

Tim-E

I still stand by my 303 EV prediction.
http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=JjY

Obama can lose like four states with this map and still win, too. Sure, I don't like that this race has tightened, but Obama's electoral firewall will keep me from taking anxiety meds.

Diablos

Gallup is the only one showing this

Remember, Gallup also said Obama had no bounce from the convention after a week when everyone else had Obama up big.

Obama is up in five of the seven trackers and only Gallup is bigger than three.

Either Gallup knows something no one else has all year or they're missing something. Guess well find out
They have to know something. I don't think they are one to bluff. And the Obama campaign calling them out reeks of panic/desperation.

Gallup is the holy grail for this, they would not fabricate their numbers or use sketchy stats.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
They have to know something. I don't think they are one to bluff. And the Obama campaign calling them out reeks of panic/desperation.

Gallup is the holy grail for this, they would not fabricate their numbers or use sketchy stats.
I'm guessing they're just polling idiots.

Honestly if Romney wins on a wave election, I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing. Hopefully four years of being absolutely destroyed by plutocrats would help start a revolution.

I don't think it'll be above that on Election Day though. I think we're seeing the early signs of the public, specifically independents and white voters, divorcing a likable incumbent right now. Romney can seal the deal tonight.

Voters agree with Obama on most issues yet he has failed to effectively communicate it effectively. I don't see that changing tonight; he won't bomb, but he'll be the same unclear and unfocused candidate he's been since late August.

Romney doesn't need Ohio to win

OK, I'm officially over your shenanigans. They're tired and dumb.

Their 2010 polls were complete shit.

Reuters, Rand, USB/tippz and even google has shown a clear shift back to Obama. The national polls from abc and NBC has too. He'll even raw has just held steady. Gallup is literally the only poll to show a shift to Romney in the past seven days.

It really makes no sense cuz Gallup isn't bad.

SmokeMaxX

Should Obama split his attack to all the battleground states? It seems obvious that Romney needs to flip/hold like 4 states to win. Of course if Obama holds Ohio, he wins. But what if the Romney wave is making progress in Ohio? Should Obama attack the other states and force Romney to defend them? Romney can't win without all of them while Obama only really needs to hold one.

Reuters, Rand, USB/tippz and even google has shown a clear shift back to Obama. The national polls from abc and NBC has too. He'll even raw has just held steady. Gallup is literally the only poll to show a shift to Romney in the past seven days.

With Gallup it's much better to just look at the trends then focus on day-to-day aberrations. However we're getting closer to crunch time so people are attaching undue significance to the horserace numbers.

pigeon

Banned

I would just call it an outlier, but it's weird that the same thing happened in the same direction during the DNC bounce -- Romney gained in Gallup during the thick of it. Could be a structural issue, I guess, but we'll never know.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think Gallup is much more credible at this point in the game.
A massive shift like this demands a high level of proof, so we should see a similar shift in the other polls before reaching a conclusion. Yet Gallup is the only one showing that Romney is more than +1. In comparison to the ABC/WaPo and the Reuters polls, Gallup show Romney in a position that is seven points better. I don't care how much credibility they have. There is no way that every other poll, which has generally shown an even race or a slight shift back to Obama, is wrong. Even Gallup's RV has stopped making sense.

It should be noted that back in June Nate Silver had Gallup pegged as the most Republican-leaning major national pollster at the moment, though I don't think that accounts for the shift we are seeing now. Gallup does have credibility, which is why this is so strange.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So out of five polls, only one shows any sizable lead for Romney, and you think the other four are the ones that got it wrong.

Can ask you something?

Are you a fucking idiot?

He's the king of chickenlittles. If he isn't panicked he isn't happy.

With Gallup it's much better to just look at the trends then focus on day-to-day aberrations. However we're getting closer to crunch time so people are attaching undue significance to the horserace numbers.
My post is talking about the trends. Every poll but ras has trended big back to Obama. Some over five points. Ras shows no trend. Only Gallup is showing a Romney trend. It's weird.

Tim-E

If I didn't love you guys so much I'd vow to bail out of this thread until November 7. I love punishing myself, though, so I stay.

Cloudy

Banned

Gallup really scares me because they're the holy grail of polling at this point in a Presidential race.

At least the approval ticked up and that's based on 3days lol. Obama MUST do well tonight and change this freakin' narrative.

I'd also like to point out that Gallup has Obama and Romney tied among registered voters

His outcome is laughable. No single poll since summer has had it within here points among registered voters. And repubs can pretty much never win an rv battle.

They've show. The rv lv gap so small all year. Like I said either Gallup is an outlier or everyone else is doing something very wrong. My money is on outlier.

bananas

Banned
He's the king of chickenlittles. If he isn't panicked he isn't happy.

It's truly fucking pathetic. It's one thing to panic when the drop was happening over the last two weeks. But the bleeding has stopped. The worst Obama ever got to in FiveThirtyEight's chances of winning was 61%. It was never close to a 50-50 race or a Romney lead. And now that Obama is actually improving in the polls, he's still shitting his pants over one poll when a number of others contradict it.

It's absolutely fucking pathetic. Hey Diablos, why don't you find your fucking testicles and start acting like you have at least some amount of self-respect left.

So why do people think they are infallible?
Because they are, in presidential elections?

Even the other trackers aren't really great news for Obama. He's still under 50% as an incumbent, a couple weeks from the election.

It's obvious that a lot of voters were looking for an excuse not to vote for Obama, but didn't have a legit alternative given Romney's horrible campaign. That changed at the first debate, and Obama stil hasn't recovered. And all this because Obama couldn't will himself to play the game for 90 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom