• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

I have an exam tonight during the beginning of the debate. Hopefully I finish it quickly and can catch most of the debate afterwards. I'm actually more worried about the debate than my exam lol

ezekial45

Banned
You guys should just take a break till the debate starts. Don't watch any news channels, don't read any articles, and don't come back to any politics threads on gaf till then.

A number of you just can't handle this anxiety. Just chill out.

guys any reccomendations to dwell the feelings of nausea starting to swell up from nervousness?

i keep fixating on the clock.

i think im going to go walk on the beach from 9 to 11.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ghaleon flipped out at Jackson's list? How'd I miss that?
It wasn't a rage flip out it was more "If that's really how people see me I'm gunna hang up my hat " mixed with utter bewilderment.

Comparing someone to Kosmo is so over the top it ceases to be detectable as satire in certain cases (and is just inaccurate in most others)

You know what I'd say to Romney? "Man up like Bush and doctor some intel and cost us 4,000 troops and $5 trillion? You guys are all the same, aren't you?"

KingK

Guys, do you think republicans are nervous? Put your game face on. Goddam

I expect Obama to do well. At the very least, I don't expect it to be the same level of disaster the first debate was. But I also thought he was going to dominate the first debate, so I'm keeping a cap on my expectations this time. I'm not going to underestimate Mittens again.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If that old rolleyes gif were still available, I would use it.
You and me both.

The problem is, a sitting president that constantly relies on a president who ended his last term 12 years ago seems a bit weak to me. Obama needs to be hammering these points, not a surrogate. The buck stops here, etc.
Obama does hammer these points, plenty of times, in stump speeches, in videos and ads of his own. He doesn't "constantly" rely on Clinton - don't exaggerate.

And don't act like we wouldn't be having the opposite conversation if Clinton was barely involved. Then Obama would be "weak" for not getting Clinton onboard. If he can't get his own party behind him, if he can't get last Democratic president worth a damn to strongly endorse him, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Fuck it. Obama is going to shine like a 1,000 exploding stars, and Mitt Romney will reference "living la vida loca" as a way to connect to common humans.

Forever

Banned
Guys, do you think republicans are nervous? Put your game face on. Goddam

Republicans aren't nervous because they literally cannot lose. Mitt Romney could drop his pants and take a shit on the debate floor and Fox/CNN would call it a tie.

Gray Man

Banned
My fellow PoliGAF bro's, I've been up to my ears in work and haven't had time to keep up with polls/ if Romney is still making a comeback. Have I missed anything?

So there aren't going to be any direct questions and there can't be follow ups asked by the audience or the moderator? This isn't even a debate.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Republicans aren't nervous because they literally cannot lose. Mitt Romney could drop his pants and take a shit on the debate floor and Fox/CNN would call it a tie.
CROWLEY: Yes, Mitt shit right on my face and told me I resembled a sloppy joe, but to be fair to Mitt, it was a highly impressive shit and I do resemble such a sandwich. Obama really needs to be clearer. Tie!

When Romney is on his game, he's a class 5 shapeshifter. It's really hard to hit him on any particular issue because he'll just change his position/policy on the fly. I doubt Obama will be able to really pin anything on him.

It's hard to debate a guy who has his own rules of reality. Obama will probably do better than the first debate, but I doubt he'll make much headway.

KingK

My fellow PoliGAF bro's, I've been up to my ears in work and haven't had time to keep up with polls/ if Romney is still making a comeback. Have I missed anything?

Polls are all over the place right now (some with Romney up, some with Obama up). General consensus seems to be that Romney has already reached the peak of his debate bump and the bleeding has stopped on Obama's side, but things are definitely settling closer than they were before the debate.

Obama still has a heavy electoral advantage.

When Romney is on his game, he's a class 5 shapeshifter. It's really hard to hit him on any particular issue because he'll just change his position/policy on the fly. I doubt Obama will be able to really pin anything on him.

It's hard to debate a guy who has his own rules of reality. Obama will probably do better than the first debate, but I doubt he'll make much headway.

Hopefully the one that thought it was a good idea to make a 10,000 dollar bet during a debate shows up

This might be too brutal, but if ever asked to man up on FP, Obama could just rattle off his rather impressive Al Qaeda kill list. Honestly, Obama is one cold mofo. He just has a nice guy exterior.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I'd love it if Obama called Romney out on his flip flopping. Saying something like "This man has changed positions on everything, but don't take my word for it. Google it. I think he forgets we live in the information age."

Zabka

I'd love it if Obama called Romney out on his flip flopping. Saying something like "This man has changed positions on everything, but don't take my word for it. Google it. I think he forgets we live in the information age."

Unless Romney comes out with a whopper, I think it would be better off if he talks himself up as consistent.

Tim-E

If that old rolleyes gif were still available, I would use it.

The problem is, a sitting president that constantly relies on a president who ended his last term 12 years ago seems a bit weak to me. Obama needs to be hammering these points, not a surrogate. The buck stops here, etc.

Weak Obama will probably come out cowering again and have to have Papa Bill to clean things up for him after the debate.

Obama hammers these points in stump speeches all the time. Stop being disingenuous.

WASHINGTON—Saying he was excited to “finally get out there” and defend his policies in front of the entire nation, President Barack Obama told reporters he was energized and eager to participate in his first debate of the 2012 election cycle Tuesday night.

“Everyone—myself, my opponent, pundits, the media—we all recognize how crucial the first debate is, and that’s why I can’t wait to knock it out of the park,” Obama said Monday during a break from his near constant debate training sessions, which he described as essential for making a strong first impression on viewers. “After all the sound bites and attack ads, it’s great to at long last have the opportunity to appear alongside my opponent and offer a full-throated argument in support of my plan to return our middle class to prosperity.”

Admitting a subpar performance on his part could give Romney a significant bump in the polls and critically shift the electoral landscape just weeks before Election Day, Obama vowed to approach the first debate very seriously. The president said he and his team had devised rebuttals to every possible Romney answer and were working on ways he could stay bold, aggressive, and on-message throughout the evening, adding that he did not want to take any chances in the first debate and be forced to rely on a rebound in the next two.

Obama also told reporters he was fully aware that the first debate would be watched by as many as 70 million Americans, and that “this is the big one.”

“The bottom line is that I have a much stronger plan for middle-class families, I actually have consistent and detailed policies on the economy and the deficit, and I have proven myself to be strong on national security,” Obama said. “All I need to do in the first debate, really, is make this distinction to the American people, and then this first debate should pretty much seal my reelection.”

“Frankly, it’d be pretty embarrassing if I couldn’t pull that off,” Obama added

YouGov has Colorado Obama 48% Romney 45%

http://today.yougov.com/news/2012/10/16/colorado/

and Florida Obama 48% Romney 47%

http://today.yougov.com/news/2012/10/16/florida/
Good to hear. YouGov was pretty reliable in 2010 even if their methodology is a tad unorthodox.

This is about in line with what I feel about those states: a small Obama advantage in Colorado (solidified by early voting/registration efforts), toss-up race in Florida. We'll see what PPP's snap poll in Colorado shows tonight I guess.

An internal poll for McCaskill in Missouri has her up by 14, 52-38. Wocka wocka doo doo yeah.

Angry Fork

It's really shocking how bad CNN has become with the false equivalent 'fair' bs. I still like Anderson Cooper though he seems like someone who genuinely cares about being a legit journalist.

She's with CNN.

Yeah....

=/

Get ready for moderator to ask Obama to disprove he's a muslim communist. Surely if republicans make the accusation there MUST be some truth to it!

Arde5643

It's really shocking how bad CNN has become with the false equivalent 'fair' bs. I still like Anderson Cooper though he seems like someone who genuinely cares about being a legit journalist.

Soledad O'Brien is also one of the best ones in CNN - hot as hell to boot.

RDreamer

Anyone know if the Paul Ryan soup kitchen story is getting any play in the evening news, particularly Ohio? It's been popping up on my facebook and stuff, so I'm curious. I would think something like that could be really fucking damning in Ohio, and since it happened there I'd think they'd be reporting it.

Brinbe

Nice @ those yougov numbers... that's encouraging, the more open avenues towards 270, the better.

And as someone who watches it often, since it's the only choice here, CNN as a whole isn't actually too bad. A-Coop/Soledad/Fareed are all obviously solid and a bunch of their normal morning/afternoon presenters aren't bad at all. However, their most visible 'journalists' in Blitzer/King/Crowley are all pretty fucking terrible and simply drag everything down. Combine that with their mostly awful crew of talking head pundits/analysts and it feeds that poisonous perception about CNN.

You give the solid people more of a voice and further face-time and opinions can change. Unfortunately, they seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Anyone know if the Paul Ryan soup kitchen story is getting any play in the evening news, particularly Ohio? It's been popping up on my facebook and stuff, so I'm curious. I would think something like that could be really fucking damning in Ohio, and since it happened there I'd think they'd be reporting it.
But he's just so darn earnest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom