• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

That's not really how it worked.

You realize that wasn't a serious suggestion, right?

Obviously I'm not seriously stating that there was somehow some sort of logical path to follow to free the slaves, send them up north and then let the south rot on its own. lol

No, I actually am a compassionate person, and I don't mind our collective money helping them stay afloat, because I know even though I sit here and say things about how shitty they are they're still human beings.

Civil War-GAF is kind of weird. I don't want the south to go away and turn into Mexico, I just want them to stop being so RACIST all the time. That means they need to stick around for us to shun them into submission.

Right, it doesn't actually solve much by having them be a separate country that does really terribly right next to us. I mean it's nice to sit here all smug and know they couldn't make it, but realistically that scenario doesn't make much sense either, obviously.

HylianTom

Banned
Finally home, so I can now more fully comment!

Wow. Explains why Gallup's been the outlier so far. I suspected as much. The first debate made red states go from being merely red to scorching hot red.

I offered that theory here on PoliGAF, but it was dismissed.

Again: when you're out of the cities down here and you mention Obama's name, white folks begin foaming at the mouth and growling. These folks would vote for Satan himself before they vote for Obama.

Averon

Cheebs has been saying this for a while! But to be honest I think the red contingents everywhere got hella red. Which is why you see the margins narrowing elsewhere. There are still small potions of dumb people/undecideds in each state though so you gotta be careful.

Yeah. It would be more accurate to say the first debate made red states and red areas in blue and swings states even redder.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I believe the South polarization. Years ago, when I was more conservative, I thought that the stereotype was overblown and unwarranted. Now it's apparent it's much deserved. Besides a few moderate metro areas, the South is full of people that cannot think in a rational manner. Whether it's substituting Science with Religion, young earth creationism, racism, small talk theories that rely on reputation over facts, you name it. They live in a bubble.

With Rupert Murdoch and the laziness of mainstream media, they now have their own official echo chamber.

Fuck, I've gotten "secret muslin kenyan" emails from extended family. I just don't reply. They're crazy.

On the bright side in a very cynical way, when Clinton runs in 2016 the GOP doesn't stand a chance.

actually just this past weekend i ran an analysis to determine the effect, if any, that a southern surge for romney would have on national and state polling. basically, there is little evidence to support the theory that 1) gallup is wrong and 2) that southern "outlier" states disproportionally harm obama.

obama's problem right now is obama and the two debates. not to mention an increase in negative fb and twitter posts hurled at him at a rate not ever seen which has a small, but crucial effect for romney.

thefro

Dat Dean reframing

Howard Dean‏@GovHowardDean

On Kudlow again. The RWNJ's are obsessed with Benghazi. They ought to stand up for our country when its under attack.

I think he's on to something there.

Man, so many campaign ads on TV, they're like every other commercial. Just this morning I saw three commercials attacking Democrat Richard Carmona, who's running for the Senate. All in a row.

pigeon

Banned
Finally home, so I can now more fully comment!

I offered that theory here on PoliGAF, but it was dismissed.

Again: when you're out of the cities down here and you mention Obama's name, white folks begin foaming at the mouth and growling. These folks would vote for Satan himself before they vote for Obama.

I just wanted to note that it cracked me up to notice you edited boldface in to make it clear they're not growling ironically or whatever.

Clevinger

Man, so many campaign ads on TV, they're like every other commercial. Just this morning I saw three commercials attacking Democrat Richard Carmona, who's running for the Senate. All in a row.

Yeah, I've been seeing those anti-Carmona commercials back to back as well. The GOP didn't think he'd be doing this well.

You know what's more offensive? Idiots voting on racism. You know what's also offensive? Idiots voting for "smaller government" even when their state relies on that "larger government" in order to not descend into inhuman squalor. Some of the south is just unfathomably stupid. I realize that just letting it go to the dogs, so to say, is kind of heartless, but come one... they're not doing themselves any favors here.

And this stereotyping is typical of what you accuse them of doing. Regional identity is a huge problem in American politics and this nonsense isn't helping.

I believe the South polarization. Years ago, when I was more conservative, I thought that the stereotype was overblown and unwarranted. Now it's apparent it's much deserved. Besides a few moderate metro areas, the South is full of people that cannot think in a rational manner. Whether it's substituting Science with Religion, young earth creationism, racism, small talk theories that rely on reputation over facts, you name it. They live in a bubble.

Those regional area's are also desperately poor with terrible education systems, so religious zealotry takes hold - but if you talk to people in those regions and not take your worldview on the idiotic opinion polling you people are obsessed with you'd see many of them are full of doubt as well. Churches aren't full in the Bible belt on Sunday, I can tell you that.

As for science and religion - many creationists won't have their children taught it in schools because they are well aware of what the consequences are for their future.

HylianTom

Banned
I just wanted to note that it cracked me up to notice you edited boldface in to make it clear they're not growling ironically or whatever.

The foaming at the mouth could be a result of the poor healthcare down here. Who knows?

But seriously.. if he were assassinated, I'd honestly expect to see folks dancing in the dirt roads down here.

They haaaaaaate him.

I know we like to talk about racist Massholes and pockets of racism in the old Union states, but the scary folk down here put them to shame.

RDreamer

And this stereotyping is typical of what you accuse them of doing. Regional identity is a huge problem in American politics and this nonsense isn't helping.

Dude, come on. We're talking about a poll where the difference between the rest of the country and the south is absolutely astronomical. I'm not saying they're bad people, and as I pointed out I'm not actually advocating to hurt them at all. I'd fight to keep helping them overall. I realize, too, that not everyone down there is like that, obviously. There are a lot of great, decent people down there.

Still, overwhelmingly that area of the country is very different from the rest. There are only a few reasons for that astronomical difference, and I outlined them. I don't think you can say with a straight face that racism isn't at least a small part of that difference. And on top of that completely aside from any racist reasoning I don't think it's bad stereotyping to say that they believe they're voting for "small government," when in reality it's that "larger government" that helps them along. They'd be in kind of a crisis much like Greece if that big government didn't constantly bail them out. I don't think it's stereotyping to say that they should get a little bit fucking realistic when it comes to their politics, since obviously quite a bit of them are missing the big picture.

I don't understand how Obama is suppose to come out aggressive in a townhall format... he's going to start screaming and pointing his finger at the questioners in the audience?

RDreamer

Once again, polling confirms that the firewall is safely intact. =D

And fuck, only about 80 mins away. Getting nervous/hyped.

Why is Iowa considered the firewall if Nevada seems to be polling on par or better? They're both the same EVs. Doesn't he really only need one of the two?

pigeon

Banned
Is this a hipster death-metal band?

Well, it is NOW.

Those YouGov polls have pretty tiny sample sizes, but they're all impressively good news for Obama.

Why is Iowa considered the firewall if Nevada seems to be polling on par or better? They're both the same EVs. Doesn't he really only need one of the two?

I think people are pretending not to remember Nevada so that if everything goes to shit in Iowa somehow we can still point to Nevada. But yes, the firewall is Ohio-Wisconsin-(Nevada or Iowa). Plus PA and MI which have never really seemed to be in play.

kirblar

The Gallup poll should ease a lot of people's minds. But they'll only look at the (utterly irellevant) national numbers.

Wish Econ were taught super early. Thinking on the margins helps so much.

Why did Obama drop again in 538's model? Was there another bad poll released today?

Gallup poll had the race +4 Romney. Gallup internals show Obama leads in the Midwest, Northeast and West, though; he's just down 22 points in the South, which he was never going to really win outside maybe FL.

Zabka

You should try my debate drinking game.

About 30 minutes before the debate starts, drink whatever alcohol you have available. Stop when cable news repeats their post-debate coverage.

markatisu

Because if IA stays Blue then most likely OH and WI do as well.

If NV is blue it means jack shit because CO is not identical in terms of population or voting trend

Allard

I don't understand how Obama is suppose to come out aggressive in a townhall format... he's going to start screaming and pointing his finger at the questioners in the audience?

He isn't going to go Biden aggressive, just do what he should have done at the first debate; look like 1) he wanted to be there and participate in the democratic process 2) willing to argue his points directly against his opponent and characterize him (like his campaign has been doing since before the republican primaries) instead of treating him like an etch a sketch that can only speak the truth. Its about exuding confidence in the face of opposition. There is a happy medium between his sleep walking performance in debate 1 and Biden attack dog mode.

Brinbe

Personally, it's because Iowa has early voting, he's making an obvious push there these past few weeks, and it's easier to see his lead there. And combined with Wi/OH, it brings him to 271.

I know the thinking is that NV is safe too, but the shitty economy there worries me. But if others are confident that it's also leaning Dem, then that's just icing.

kingkitty

Crowley better bring her A game, if she had any to begin with. Obama will bring his A game. Romney preferably should make terrible gaffes, like calling him "that one" or better yet, something out of touchy.

i am worried for the Libya question that Mittey will inevitably bring up. I don't know how Obama can get out of that cleanly without looking weak. Perhaps he'll pull a Biden and blame Congress but with Clinton taking one for the team, taking the blame...it'll be interesting to see how the president answers.

Dude, come on. We're talking about a poll where the difference between the rest of the country and the south is absolutely astronomical. I'm not saying they're bad people, and as I pointed out I'm not actually advocating to hurt them at all. I'd fight to keep helping them overall. I realize, too, that not everyone down there is like that, obviously. There are a lot of great, decent people down there.

Still, overwhelmingly that area of the country is very different from the rest. There are only a few reasons for that astronomical difference, and I outlined them. I don't think you can say with a straight face that racism isn't at least a small part of that difference. And on top of that completely aside from any racist reasoning I don't think it's bad stereotyping to say that they believe they're voting for "small government," when in reality it's that "larger government" that helps them along. They'd be in kind of a crisis much like Greece if that big government didn't constantly bail them out. I don't think it's stereotyping to say that they should get a little bit fucking realistic when it comes to their politics, since obviously quite a bit of them are missing the big picture.

The idea of small government comes from the frontier, calvinism and resistance to DC which is seen as a Northern institution thats looking out for Northern interests. There's widespread resistance to Government influence for those reasons, but thats as much a part of the American experience as FDR's policies are.

RDreamer

The idea of small government comes from the frontier, calvinism and resistance to DC which is seen as a Northern institution thats looking out for Northern interests. There's widespread resistance to Government influence for those reasons, but thats as much a part of the American experience as FDR's policies are.

I still don't see how holding onto that ideal this much is in any way realistic for them. DC, that Northern institution that's only looking out for Northern interests is, again, putting money into their state and propping them out. Without those "northern interests," they'd be in a situation like Greece, practically bankrupt. I'm not saying they have to abandon their ideals completely, but the difference between every other part of the country and them is astounding and completely counter to their actual best interests. I wouldn't be complaining if they were simply voting Republican a little bit more than the rest of the country. Whatever, that's fine, there will be differences in ideology. But when they're voting that starkly in contrast to everyone else for bogus reasons, I just think there's something wrong in general.

Cloudy

Banned
I'll be watching Friday night lights and if it goes well, I'll watch the full debate afterwards. I can't handle this live lol

Look at the regional breakdown internal numbers on that poll.

Oh....

IcanSee.gif

It's all in the South. Crisis averted.

RDreamer

Looking more at the Gallup, and wow, it's 39 to 61 in favor of Romney with College Graduates only... I would think graduates would be smarter than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom