• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

And this stereotyping is typical of what you accuse them of doing. Regional identity is a huge problem in American politics and this nonsense isn't helping.

Those regional area's are also desperately poor with terrible education systems, so religious zealotry takes hold - but if you talk to people in those regions and not take your worldview on the idiotic opinion polling you people are obsessed with you'd see many of them are full of doubt as well. Churches aren't full in the Bible belt on Sunday, I can tell you that.

As for science and religion - many creationists won't have their children taught it in schools because they are well aware of what the consequences are for their future.

The votes don't lie, it isn't a stereotype if it's true. All the normal logical people can come to the north, let the southerners secede and do what they want. Everyone wins. Honest reasonable people in the north don't deserve to have their country turned to shit due to these idiots, period. The south wants what they want don't they? Why not give it to them?

markatisu

Looking more at the Gallup, and wow, it's 39 to 61 in favor of Romney with College Graduates only... I would think graduates would be smarter than that...

College Graduates tend to fit in the demographic of Republican due to their age (29-40), plus more and more are not graduating college due to the costs so they won't be in that set

I still don't see how holding onto that ideal this much is in any way realistic for them. DC, that Northern institution that's only looking out for Northern interests is, again, putting money into their state and propping them out. Without those "northern interests," they'd be in a situation like Greece, practically bankrupt. I'm not saying they have to abandon their ideals completely, but the difference between every other part of the country and them is astounding and completely counter to their actual best interests. I wouldn't be complaining if they were simply voting Republican a little bit more than the rest of the country. Whatever, that's fine, there will be differences in ideology. But when they're voting that starkly in contrast to everyone else for bogus reasons, I just think there's something wrong in general.

The reason the Government gives the south large volumes of money has a lot to due with military bases there, but many states are dependant on the federal Government and in some sense all of them are.

Talking about cutting the south loose isn't going to make the movement any less radical. The Democratic party doesn't do well there because they don't relate to that part of the country well - but its definitely doable.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looking more at the Gallup, and wow, it's 39 to 61 in favor of Romney with College Graduates only... I would think graduates would be smarter than that...

There are plenty of smart Southerns that compartmentalize the crazy. I've met several.

Angry Fork

Talking about cutting the south loose isn't going to make the movement any less radical.

But it will no longer be a leech on the rest of the country, and once their society implodes they will be forced to become less radical to survive. It all evens out in the end.

Jackson50

Presidents from the Midwest:

William Henry Harrison - Senator from Ohio
Rutherford B. Hayes - Governor of Ohio
Benjamin Harrison - Senator from Indiana
Abraham Lincoln - Congressman from Illinois
Ulysseys S. Grant - General from Ohio
Herbert Hoover - Secretary from Iowa
Harry Truman - Senator from Missouri
Barack Obama - Senator from Illinois

So only 8 out of 44, and none since Truman.

You can see why the Midwest would support one of their own.
You omitted McKinley, Taft, Harding, and Ford.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/16/adviser-romney-will-tell-obama-to-man-up-at-debate/

Adviser: Romney will tell Obama to ‘man up’ at debate

Obama better have a solid answer for Libya.
Romney's adviser actually raises an important point. Targeted killings are insufficient to solve the problem. We should reconfigure our counter-terrorism policy to produce an enduring solution. Mind you, I'm not suggesting the Obama Administration's policy consists solely of targeted strikes. Rather, their importance should be reduced. And that has been true of our nation's policy for decades. However, the Republicans relinquished credibility on the issue long ago. And Romney's alternative, to the extent he's actually elucidated one, is actually worse.
It wasn't a rage flip out it was more "If that's really how people see me I'm gunna hang up my hat " mixed with utter bewilderment.

Comparing someone to Kosmo is so over the top it ceases to be detectable as satire in certain cases (and is just inaccurate in most others)
Interestingly, PhoenixDark's inclusion failed to elicit objection. If that isn't revelatory...
Cha-ching!

How is YouGov's rep btw?
Respectable. They (Polimetrix) are pioneers in scientific internet polling. As I recall, they rate favorably in Nate Silver's pollster evaluations.

GhaleonEB

Something is wacky on those crosstabs. Gallup shows Obama taking a -24 point net swing with college graduates. Which isn't happening. The only education group they show him leading with is post-graduate, and that's a -16 point swing from 2008.

Wacky.

HylianTom

Banned
I still don't see how holding onto that ideal this much is in any way realistic for them. DC, that Northern institution that's only looking out for Northern interests is, again, putting money into their state and propping them out. Without those "northern interests," they'd be in a situation like Greece, practically bankrupt. I'm not saying they have to abandon their ideals completely, but the difference between every other part of the country and them is astounding and completely counter to their actual best interests. I wouldn't be complaining if they were simply voting Republican a little bit more than the rest of the country. Whatever, that's fine, there will be differences in ideology. But when they're voting that starkly in contrast to everyone else for bogus reasons, I just think there's something wrong in general.

After the 2008 elections, two of my uncles (who voted McCain) called me "out of touch" for my Obama support. To counter this claim, I showed them a regional voting breakdown showing the South tens of points away from where the other three regions were as far as Election 2008 was concerned. In addition, I showed them a theoretical world electoral map showing almost-uniform support for Obama.

In summation, my counter-argument was that they were out of touch. They didn't really have a comeback, and we haven't talked politics much anymore.

(And if New Orleans ever drowns and I survive, I'm moving to Vermont.)

RDreamer

The reason the Government gives the south large volumes of money has a lot to due with military bases there, but many states are dependant on the federal Government and in some sense all of them are.

Talking about cutting the south loose isn't going to make the movement any less radical. The Democratic party doesn't do well there because they don't relate to that part of the country well - but its definitely doable.

You do realize I'm just being sarcastic when I talk about cutting loose the south, right? I've said a few times in this thread now that it wouldn't really help at all to have a country right below us that isn't doing that well at all. We get to be smug, but that isn't really worth a ton to me.

And the thing is that yes the Democratic party doesn't do well there, but that doesn't make sense if you think realistically. The democratic party is far more for the hard working little guy in the system. The republicans are more for the rich wall street and business tycoon types. The south shouldn't be able to relate to that. But they're getting played. The republicans play up and use religion in order to fool these people, and I find that kind of sad. Almost equally sad, though, is that they'd want to vote their religion on others to begin with, but when that's used against them it's still sad.

I'm as liberal as they fucking come, but please, pretty please stop acting like the South is 100% dumbass. I live in NC. We are only 50% dumbass

Angry Fork

Romney will have a nice long answer about how he was completely wrong, and voters will forgive him because he looked confident and caring when he spoke.

i6SsdVkiuyEH3.png

I'm as liberal as they fucking come, but please, pretty please stop acting like the South is 100% dumbass. I live in NC. We are only 50% dumbass

Abandon it comrade, come to New York we'll take care of you.
Unless you want really large soda's

Man up? Governor, I have been at the helm of overseas contingency operations for years now. Of course I take responsibility for the lives lost in Libya, just as I take responsibility for the many more lives we've lost in Iraq and Afghanistan under my four years as Commander In Chief. Is this your idea of a foreign policy strategy, to man up? Foreign Service can be dangerous, governor, whether you're an ambassador or in the infantry. Is that your policy for the thousands of women we have serving overseas as well, to 'man up'? Is that how you're going to keep our ambassadors safe going forward, tell them they need more chest hair? Do you have some secret formula that makes it grow out as kevlar? Security for American men and women overseas is a real, actual problem, governor, it can't be handled by a phrase you might find on a t-shirt produced by one of the Chinese factories Bain Capital operates.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What did he say?

He's saying that Obama needs to regain the "spiritual momentum" of the campaign by stating up front his vision for America. He has the plan but hasn't articulated the vision. He's the opposite of romney.

...basically what Silver said yesterday.

Man up? Governor, I have been at the helm of overseas contingency operations for years now. Of course I take responsibility for the lives lost in Libya, just as I take responsibility for the many more lives we've lost in Iraq and Afghanistan under my four years as Commander In Chief. Is this your idea of a foreign policy strategy, to man up? Foreign Service can be dangerous, governor, whether you're an ambassador or in the infantry. Is that your policy for the thousands of women we have serving overseas as well, to 'man up'? Is that how you're going to keep our ambassadors safe going forward, tell them they need more chest hair? Do you have some secret formula that makes it grow out as kevlar? Security for American men and women overseas is a real, actual problem, governor, it can't be handled by a phrase you might find on a t-shirt produced by one of the Chinese factories Bain Capital operates.

Best debate fan-fiction of the day so far.

Abandon it comrade, come to New York we'll take care of you.
Unless you want really large soda's

Ha. I would love to actually, but I have a pretty bangin job here and I've struggled to convince my wife of the glorious wonders of NY. She is too attached to the idea of living close to her family, which to make matters worse, is hardcore right-wing and Mormon. (Unlike my wife obviously)

32 oz. Soda for life

And the thing is that yes the Democratic party doesn't do well there, but that doesn't make sense if you think realistically. The democratic party is far more for the hard working little guy in the system. The republicans are more for the rich wall street and business tycoon types. The south shouldn't be able to relate to that. But they're getting played. The republicans play up and use religion in order to fool these people, and I find that kind of sad. Almost equally sad, though, is that they'd want to vote their religion on others to begin with, but when that's used against them it's still sad.

Well thats the Thomas Frank line. The other is that in the 1970's the working class saw their tax dollars increasing used on ineffective Government programs and became more right wing as a result. As for the religion - the republicans are as religious as their voters at this point. That may have been a fair point to make in the 80's, but now the Republican establishment is very religious. That religion is a matter of identity, not necessarily policy however.

Plenty of Liberals wish large parts of the country were excised from the state, I find it repulsive.

fallagin

Man, I really fucking hate the news media. The only way someone can win a debate is by looking good enough. And of course at fox news the only way you can win is by being the republican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom