• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Jackson50: Why would they pick such a high number then? They must have their reasons.

markatisu, I wasn't worrying. Just because my post does not bleed blind optimism does not = worrying.

Also, why does anyone take We Ask America seriously? They seem like a clown pollster, bro. They shouldn't even be in the RCP average imo.

pigeon

Banned
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/va/virginia_romney_vs_obama-1774.html#polls

RCP has the 51/46.

That link is weird. Look at the sample size for Likely Voters. 2700!? When does anyone do almost 3k LV for a state like Va? That is very large

Anyway, I have no idea why RCP has the 14-16 and this one is 17-19 of Sept. There is a mistake somewhere. I mean, there is no way PPP did 2 polls back to back.

Apparently they were doing a long series of private battleground semi-push polls for NRDC. http://www.nrdcactionfund.org/undecidedvoters/ Anyway, either way, it's a solid poll for Obama.

@pppolls said:
Friday was a strong day for Romney in our VA polling, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday were about par for the course of our work there this yr

Boing.

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls
Friday was a strong day for Romney in our VA polling, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday were about par for the course of our work there this yr

BOOM. Makes that 1 point even more insignificant. If all the 1 point switch came from Friday, indicates lead is unchanged.

Apparently they were doing a long series of private battleground semi-push polls for NRDC. http://www.nrdcactionfund.org/undecidedvoters/ Anyway, either way, it's a solid poll for Obama.

Okay, makes sense.

So as I said, this is a BAD poll for Romney. It is showing ZERO bounce.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So as I said, this is a BAD poll for Romney. It is showing ZERO bounce.

Lawrence O'donnell: Guess which polling flip flopped?
*short pause*
Lawrence O'donnell: That's right, Mitt Romney.
*grins*
*intro music*

Jackson50

Greetings Americans. I'd like to enquire as to which shape shifting reptiliod is perceived to be winning the faux popularity contest you call an election.
Ron Paul.
Has enough time passed since the jobs report for it to have a noticeable effect on the polls? I know it doesn't normally have a major effect, but I'd think the one from Friday would carry more weight than usual.
Considering the simultaneity of the debate and employment report, I don't know that we'll be able to infer an effect. That's requesting a lot from what are effectively slight variations in the polls.
Jackson50: Why would they pick such a high number then? They must have their reasons.

markatisu, I wasn't worrying. Just because my post does not bleed blind optimism does not = worrying.

Also, why does anyone take We Ask America seriously? They seem like a clown pollster, bro. They shouldn't even be in the RCP average imo.
I'm not sure. Once you approach a certain threshold, the gains in certainty from a larger sample size are marginal. So firms usually elect not to waste the resources.

So to translate PPP's tweets: Obama got hammered while Romney was felated by the media Thursday which effected Friday's polling. Come Saturday, people were over it and back to preferring Obama.

So basically depending on the day's events (say, on November 5th or 6th), Obama can lose the state. I don't see how that's good news for Obama

giga

Flve+

DOOMED

Trakdown

So Romney did good for one night and had good polls for one night. Lolz.

Even better, he just turned his back on a bunch of his positions and lied his ass off for nothing.

HylianTom

Banned

Even better, he just turned his back on a bunch of his positions and lied his ass off for nothing.

It wasn't for nothing: Obama got a ton of great campaign ad material. Score!

Diablos

They better be cooking up some ads like some GOPers think the White House is cooking up UE data.

They only have about $1b to play with.

teh_pwn

Holy shit.

Obama can barf on himself for 90 minutes and get away with it. I tip my fucking hat.

This probably would have happened regardless given the bounce is what was previously anticipated...

Now you can continue to be worried about the House and the filibuster like the rest of us.

I predict Romney's next morph will be into a compassionate, caring person with many stories about his great empathy.

Averon

Like I said before, people have already made up their minds on who to vote for. You can say Romney won the debate and still vote against him.

teh_pwn

I predict Romney's next morph will be into a compassionate, caring person with many stories about his great empathy.

I love Romney's "I care" mode. It's like a mixture of sadness and annoyance.

pigeon

Banned
Obama can barf on himself for 90 minutes and get away with it. I tip my fucking hat.

I don't know why everybody can say "only an idiot would care about Romney winning those debates so it's going to make a huge difference for him." The evidence of this whole cycle is that people are paying more attention to the things candidates actually say. Horrifying and unprecedented, I know.

Speaking of early voting, how long does it take for you to get an absentee ballot in NC? I remember them being very fast for the midterms, and I still haven't gotten mine yet.

And as the new Virginia poll also indicates, Romney was unable to overcome Obama's lead.
xSM17.gif
Dat 47% ceiling. Poor Romney can't shatter it in any swing state.

Also I'm pretty sure Obama's gonna clean Mitt's clock in next debate unless another Mitt shows up.

Diablos

Dat 47% ceiling. Poor Romney can't shatter it in any swing state.

Also I'm pretty sure Obama's gonna clean Mitt's clock in next debate unless another Mitt shows up.
If Obama and his peeps are smart they'll be bracing for Mitt to shapeshift back into one of his other 50,000 clones.

I'm certainly expecting it.

teiresias

This makes me want pollsters to break down their "who won" question. I mean, if he "won" by that margin but only splitting the questioned independents, it seems to me it would be worth finding out how people define "won." Are these people who are as cynical as everyone else and define "won" as "appeared to win in an 'optics' way of winning" or do they actually agree with the policy's presented and hence say he "won"?

I mean, obviously I'd say Mittens "won" the debate in terms of just looking like he won, but certainly don't give any credence to anything he said and he certainly wouldn't be getting a vote from me. So trying to determine anything based on a simple "who won" poll (particularly the insta-polls right after the debates) seems silly.

Diablos

Obama lost the debate plain and simple. The important question is if it made people abandon ship. So far the answer seems to be a huge no.

So it's like their favorite team lost but they aren't fair weather fans and will stick around no matter what.
Maybe living among Steelers fans is what makes me worry about this kind of stuff more than usual ;)

Jackson50

Fucking told you ninnies. Bow before your new god.

Romney's debate bounce lasted all of a day.
More like bow to the thread.

Romney made the prudent play. He had nothing to lose, really. But his deficit was too large.
No matter what I don't think the House is flipping.

Best we can hope for is like 51 Dems in the Senate.
The Democrats are polling surprisingly strong in Senate elections. The prospects for them to maintain their margin, or even gain a seat, are pretty damn good. The House is largely a toss up.

This makes me want pollsters to break down their "who won" question. I mean, if he "won" by that margin but only splitting the questioned independents, it seems to me it would be worth finding out how people define "won." Are these people who are as cynical as everyone else and define "won" as "appeared to win in an 'optics' way of winning" or do they actually agree with the policy's presented and hence say he "won"?

I mean, obviously I'd say Mittens "won" the debate in terms of just looking like he won, but certainly don't give any credence to anything he said and he certainly wouldn't be getting a vote from me. So trying to determine anything based on a simple "who won" poll (particularly the insta-polls right after the debates) seems silly.

Winning a debate has nothing to do with agreeing with policies and everything to do with confidence, body language, ability to look like you believe what you're saying, and perceptions. I'm a Virginia voter and can say without a doubt, Romney won that debate, but there is no way I'm voting for him.

Trakdown

So as for the Ryan-Biden debate (not that I think it's gonna affect the race), I'm thinking we're going to have a repeat of both the last debate and Ryan's speech at the RNC. He'll win slightly and then get fact-checked to death. 1 night bounce, if even that d/t it being a VP debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom