• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure that in 2008 the VP debate had higher viewers than the first Presidential Debate. So, I wouldn't say inconsequential. Biden has a brilliant opportunity to tie Romney to Ryan and house Republicans.

Would the larger number of viewers be due to the high level of interest in Palin?

Do people care about Ryan and Biden?

I am pretty sure that in 2008 the VP debate had higher viewers than the first Presidential Debate. So, I wouldn't say inconsequential. Biden has a brilliant opportunity to tie Romney to Ryan and house Republicans.

That was 100% Palin's doing. With no circus show like that this time, I'm expecting the number of views to drastically decrease.

Tim-E

I think that was mostly the hoopla surrounding Palin. Biden/Ryan is far less exciting to the average viewer than Palin was four years ago.

RDreamer

Would the larger number of viewers be due to the high level of interest in Palin?

Do people care about Ryan and Biden?

I don't think Dems care so much about Biden. Republicans love their golden boy, Ryan, though. I think most of them will definitely be tuning in, salivating at their man eviscerating the gaffe machine.

So, a convincing Biden win could be pretty demoralizing for them. It could also get some media spin just because it's a nice narrative to show the downfall of the guy they crowned the wonk king. A Biden loss probably doesn't do much, though the media will probably play it a bit to try and show Obama campaign crashing or something ridiculous.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
If nothing else, we could make a poligaf twitter list. Twitter is popular among politics nerds, so I bet a number of us have them. I think I already follow a few of you.

As usual, I can be irrelevant and contribute nothing!

Just got an American Crossroads ad here in southwest Virginia during Sunday Night Football. The ad was in part about how the unemployment rate is at 8.1%.................oops

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think Dems care so much about Biden. Republicans love their golden boy, Ryan, though. I think most of them will definitely be tuning in, salivating at their man eviscerating the gaffe machine.

So, a convincing Biden win could be pretty demoralizing for them. It could also get some media spin just because it's a nice narrative to show the downfall of the guy they crowned the wonk king. A Biden loss probably doesn't do much, though the media will probably play it a bit to try and show Obama campaign crashing or something ridiculous.

Biden ripping into Ryan would be amazing.

RDreamer

I feel like they should get Krugman in to prep Biden with some facts. He seems to absolutely despise Ryan, and I'd love to see Biden armed with some of the numbers and facts Krugman puts out when he goes out there.

There's a guy chicken little-ing on another board I read to a degree that makes CS look cocky and overconfident. It's actually rather hilarious.

Forever

Banned
He has pretty much ruined his presidential aspirations over the last four years by being a dumbass. Expect him to say something crazy on thursday and embarrass the administration/campaign

He promised Obama when he was selected that he wouldn't run for President again, any rumors to the contrary can probably be attributed to him not wanting people to write him off for the next four years. He's too old and his mouth is too big. He won't run.

He promised Obama when he was selected that he wouldn't run for President again, any rumors to the contrary can probably be attributed to him not wanting people to write him off for the next four years. He's too old and his mouth is too big. He won't run.

Link? There was a story a couple months ago about his camp putting out feelers about 2016

I always pegged Biden as a no bullshit type of person. Hopefully we will see that on Thursday.

Biden had to worry about looking like an asshole picking on a woman. Fair or not, that was what I believe people close to the Obama campaign even said?

He will need to do no such thing against Ryan.

Biden is gonna be fully off the leash on Thursday and SO FREE.

He should get a little sauced right before so we can have Uncle Joe...

Forever

Banned
Link? There was a story a couple months ago about his camp putting out feelers about 2016

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/10/20/081020fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all

Unlike Humphrey, Mondale, Bush, and Gore, Cheney has not spent his tenure worrying about a future Presidential campaign, and, during conversations with Obama, Biden, who will be seventy-four by Inauguration Day, 2017, ruled out the possibility of another Presidential run.
The feelers are just so that people won't blow him off constantly for the next four years.

Great news on Kaine and Tammy - I obviously hope Democrats win both the House and Senate, but the Senate is more important. Can't really get much passed without both, but if he has one it buffers him from having to veto right-wing bullshit, and with the Senate he can fill up the judicial branch (provided Reid is serious about filibuster reform).

Also a senate victory is more lasting than a House victory - we're gonna have Professor Warren and that Madison liberal lesbian in Congress for six years!

Oh, so I never saw that Biden wasn't running. Damn shame 'cuz I like him, but Hillary would be a much easier win provided Obama doesn't majorly fuck up in his second term.

Forever

Banned
Oh, so I never saw that Biden wasn't running. Damn shame 'cuz I like him, but Hillary would be a much easier win provided Obama doesn't majorly fuck up in his second term.

I like Biden as a person and where he is right now but you just can't be a serious Presidential candidate when you gaffe that much nonstop.

teiresias

Biden has always struck me as someone who I feel would make a good president, he's just not a very good top-ticket presidential candidate. Basically, I think he'd do good in the office, just be unable to get there under his own power at the top of a campaign ticket. It's why he makes a good VP, imo. Of course, he seemed a bit more lucid back in '08 than he seems now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This.

I want him to verbally fuck up Ryan. Definitely not getting my hopes up, but I really want to see the GOP golden boy get owned by the guy characterized as a gaffe machine. God it would be delicious.

My math teacher from 1st year in high school would fucking destroy Ryan on basic arithmetic like Drago Vs. Creed.

I WILL BREAK YOU.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Biden has always struck me as someone who I feel would make a good president, he's just not a very good top-ticket presidential candidate. Basically, I think he'd do good in the office, just be unable to get there under his own power at the top of a campaign ticket. It's why he makes a good VP, imo. Of course, he seemed a bit more lucid back in '08 than he seems now.

I agree completely. In defense of his recent gaffes, I think at this point he doesn't really care all that much. He'll care about the debate though.

Wray

So I'm bored and I was thinking....

In another 10 years or so when we have a Liberal leaning Supreme Court. Would it be possible for Medicare to be ruled unconstitutional to only provide service for those above 65? Thus allowing for anybody to be able to receive medicare? Wouldn't that be considered discrimination and a violation of your civil rights? If worded right, would that be possible?

Just trying to think of alternative ways to force a single payer type of healthcare solution through.

teiresias

In another 10 years or so when we have a Liberal leaning Supreme Court. Would it be possible for Medicare to be ruled unconstitutional to only provide service for those above 65? Thus allowing for anybody to be able to receive medicare? Wouldn't that be considered discrimination and a violation of your civil rights? If worded right, would that be possible?

Just trying to think of alternative ways to force a single payer type of healthcare solution through.

I'd expect such a change to come about via legislation before anyone thought of making some kind of challenge to that aspect of medicare via the courts.

RDreamer

New Ad

It's a decent idea, though I kind of feel like using clips mostly from MSNBC was probably a mistake. I'm sure they could have found some other ones saying the same thing.

Yeah, that's my feeling.

If he ran though I would definitely support him in the primary, and he would probably get backing from Obama's crew.

Owzers

New Ad

It's a decent idea, though I kind of feel like using clips mostly from MSNBC was probably a mistake. I'm sure they could have found some other ones saying the same thing.

definitely agree, get rid of both the msnbc clips and find something else, and the rest of the ad works imo.

New Ad

they are stupid for using MSNBC clips. they should use clips of romney himself saying he will cut taxes for rich people in the republican primary debate, quotes from his own campaign clarifying that people with pre-existing conditions won't be covered, and some nonpartisan analysis of his tax plan that says it will cost 5 trillion.

there is no need to use news clips . . . you can make romney look like an ass just by using romney clips or statements . . .

the last line in the ad was ice cold though. they should definitely make a proper version of this web ad and start airing it on tv.

Gotchaye

That's hard to imagine.

Gay marriage bans are just about the most obvious conceivable example of totally unjustified discrimination against a non- protected class, and the courts have been somewhat slow to find even those unconstitutional. There are obviously much stronger arguments for treating old people differently when it comes to health care, and I expect courts to find that Medicare as-is passes rational basis review and even intermediate scrutiny for the foreseeable future.

George Romney: Possibly still a better man than his son, not as good a man as some remember him being.

whqfG.png

We could tweet this old post from Dax on the 2010 Election:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22503177&postcount=125

Man, if not for the House being more of a bloodbath than expected, ClovingWestbrook would've been all kinds of prophet

Predictions:

House- Repubs gain 33
Senate- Repubs gain 6

Reid stays
Boxer stays by a hair
Rossi loses yet AGAIN

November 3, 2010- Fox News/Drudge Headline
Tea Party beats Democrats

Reality- Tea Party has made it impossible for anybody to beat Obama in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom