• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

rNm88.png

Uh dude. You didn't see my post on how this is an illegal activity?

fairly sure someone just cleared that up

e: yep

From my very little research that I just did, it's not legal in California for an institution to do it, but I don't see anything about individuals.

So...

Edit: Legal as long as no money (or anything with monetary value) is exchanged.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/net_election/2000/11/is_voteswapping_legal.html

Continue making the thread!

So checking out some articles, Romney is going to attack on Libya for the next couple of days.
Its the only thing he's got.

That and "Iran is four years closer to a nuclear weapon". I was surprised he used that term rather than 'nuclear capability' like his muppet boy wonder.

Pretty sure vote swapping violates the intent of the electoral college. If it were to go to the Supreme Court...you'd lose.

You should put your effort to reform the voting system(IRV) so that you're not forced to vote for the lesser of two evils.

IrishNinja

Pretty sure vote swapping violates the intent of the electoral college. If it were to go to the Supreme Court...you'd lose.

You should put your effort to reform the voting system(IRV) so that you're not forced to vote for the lesser of two evils.

that's not where it stands right now, so yeah, if the supreme court shuts down my thread, i'll take the L? i am decisively uninterested in the intents of the electoral college as it stands, anyway.

the 2nd half of your post is pretty useless, though. sure, that's an excellent effort! it's not where we're at a few weeks from an election though, hence the thread. talking about ways to loosen the deathgrip our 2 party system has is a loaded (and very important) topic, so if you make a thread for that, i'll certainly participate.

thekad

Banned
It's not really possible for Romney to win on foreign policy, but I'll stay with my prediction that he can turn debate #3 into a tie.

SmokeMaxX

One thing I'll note- If (when) Obama wins, we'll look back and remind ourselves that debates don't matter. Is that true? Well, we'd have to see Obama get smoked in three debates and see how it affects him. He lost the first debate and won the second one. Considering he's likely to win the third one as well, I don't see how Obama can possibly lose the election. Even if Romney gets close to winning, I don't know if people will embrace the idea that debates matter. They might say "oh it has X effect but it won't affect the outcome of the race."

Keio

For a Finer World
It may be that social media has actually added to the relevance of the debates. Each highlight gets so widely circulated.

kingkitty

it was an entertaining debate and exactly the shot of hopium the Democratic party needs. Obama did what he needed to do. Crowley did her job. Romney made a gaffe or two.

I still think that Libya scandal is going to sting Obama in the next debate, but it'll be a bit softer now because of Romney's accidental seppuku. Beyond that, the foreign policy debate should be in Obama's favor. Should be.

I think it's impossible for Obama to win one of these snap polls by more than a handful of points because Republicans will never admit their guy lost.

if that snap poll was any indication he's now got OH, IA, and CO on lock
In addition to already having Nevada.

That's basically two of his paths covered - win Ohio, win IA/CO/NV/NM.

For the sake of getting to say I told you so on Facebook, I hope he gets the momentum to carry Florida, Virginia, and North Carolina.

I love this fact check . .

OBAMA: "And what I want to do is build on the 5 million jobs that we've created over the last 30 months in the private sector alone."

THE FACTS: As he has done before, Obama is cherry-picking his numbers to make them sound better than they really are. He ignores the fact that public-sector job losses have dragged down overall job creation. Also, he chooses just to mention the past 30 months. That ignores job losses during his presidency up until that point. According to the Labor Department, about 4.5 million total jobs have been created over the past 30 months. But some 4.3 million jobs were lost during the earlier months of his administration. At this point, Obama is a net job creator, but only marginally.
http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-stumbles-latest-presidential-debate-015330844--election.html

The damn 'trickle-down government' Obama creating private sector jobs while shrinking government!

Wait . . . what?

Angry Fork

On libya next debate Romney will ignore this debate and double down on the administration being wishy washy on whether it was a pre meditated 9/11 anniversary attack or a riot because of the muslim video. That's what he tried to do in this debate but failed because he got caught trying to lie about Obama not saying it was a terrorist attack.

But ordinary people won't care about this and have likely already forgotten about it so Romney will bring it up again next debate and make sure he focuses on the main point of his claim while throwing in scare phrases like administration failure, responsible for american deaths, apology tour etc.

Obama still has to be on his guard on this point even though Romney lost it at this debate, Romney can still rework his statements, play with semantics and make Obama look bad on it next week. Obama should have something prepared about how romney/republicans are just itching to get into another middle eastern war, willing to spend american lives and 2 trillion dollars for more military spending and so on.

Romney needs another debate #1 win to stand a chance in November.

He needs far more than that especially with the next debate not being about the economy. Foreign policy is not what most people care about, so the next debate can either cement Obama as the "media victor" or have Romney come looking like he's the person to choose on the issue that isn't the most important this time. If this was still 2004 the Benghazi attack would be a huge blow to Obama though

it was an entertaining debate and exactly the shot of hopium the Democratic party needs. Obama did what he needed to do. Crowley did her job. Romney made a gaffe or two.

I still think that Libya scandal is going to sting Obama in the next debate, but it'll be a bit softer now because of Romney's accidental seppuku. Beyond that, the foreign policy debate should be in Obama's favor. Should be.

I still can't quite figure out where the 'scandal' is. I guess they did not give a completely consistent message? So?

As I mentioned in the debate thread, the GOP seems to blame the white house for not disclosing national security secrets of an attack investigation. Really? Is that the way it is supposed to work? They should tell the enemy the details of the investigation and how close they are to getting them?

The questions have never stopped either side from getting their point across.

What point does Romney have to make about foreign policy?

How he disrespected the Brits during the Olympics?

How he outsourced jobs to China?

How if he were born of Mexican parents he'd have easily won the election?

The questions have never stopped either side from getting their point across.

Sure, but if Romney somehow tries to argue going to war with Syria is good for the American people he will end up looking like a fool like Ryan did. Ryan's worst part of the VP debate was the foreign policy segment. The only thing Romney has is Libya to keep focusing on and god if they kill the group responsible before next Monday I can't even imagine what he would do.

Edit: On China I'm not exactly sure what Romney can do that he didn't do tonight. Romney will say how tough he will be on China and Obama will just throw Bain back at him. I really see foreign policy as the worst possible story to be going into the election with for Romney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom