• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Republicans Try To Seize Control Of The Word ‘Binder’ Following Debate
The press release for the conference call advertised that RNC chair Reince Priebus and Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) would “talk about Obama’s empty binder second term agenda.” They were true to their word.

“[Obama] didn’t lay out a plan for a second term agenda. He’s had two debates, he’s offered plenty of excuses but he hasn’t offered a plan,” Priebus said. “And that’s what we’re calling the empty binder. So either he’s out of ideas or he likes the way that things are going.”

Romney’s binder metaphor came up during a discussion of women in the workplace and pay equality. Romney said he had sought and received “binders full of women” to consider when deciding who to appoint to his cabinet after being elected as governor. Ayotte defended Romney’s record on women, and attacked Obama’s. She also used the binder metaphor against Obama. Twice.

“On this empty binder issue, it’s the president who has the empty binder because there’s no legislation planned for the second term other than more spending. And how are we going to afford that given our $16 trillion in debt?” she said.

Ayotte said the Democratic use of the binder metaphor was actually demeaning to women.

“One of the things about this whole focus by the Democrats on this ‘binder’ issue is because they don’t want to talk about the issues that really matter to all voters,” she said. “All issues are women’s issues. It’s very diminishing that they only want to focus on a limited number of issues as opposed to how are we going to make sure we get people back to work, and particularly women?”
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/republicans-empty-binder.php?ref=fpa

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's funny listening to her try to parse her words...
She shouldn't even have to. I don't see any problem with the moderator correcting a blatantly incorrect accusation being thrown out, especially when she had the information in front of her.

Triple U

Banned
He was right before he was wrong. Poor Candy, though. She tried so hard to get in the requisite CNN "but this side has it right, as well" before the damage was done.

He wasn't right though. Thats the whole point. Of all the things he could of choose to attack about Libya, he choose the one that Obama actually did correctly.

Edit: see your second post.

HylianTom

Banned
So hilariously desperate.
"Desperate" is apt. Time is running out for them. Obama had most likely reversed polling's general direction. There's lots of ground to make-up in must-win Ohio. I fully expect their desperation to be more and more visible as time goes on.

Why exactly am I supposed to be outraged over the confusion of "it was due to the tape" versus "it was an organized pre-planned attack!" What does that information change for me? How does that information affect my perception of the response?

I honestly cannot parse what I should be angry about.

And the outrage is coming from the same people who are ok with satellite pics of "WMD" trailers?

pigeon

Banned
this whole thing is a pile of Obamaloney.

Ah, it's nice to be back to the days when Republicans had comically bad messaging. The days we called September. This augurs well for the polls. (And remember, the campaigns already have internals, so if they're acting like it's September again....)

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Why exactly am I supposed to be outraged over the confusion of "it was due to the tape" versus "it was an organized pre-planned attack!" What does that information change for me? How does that information affect my perception of the response?

Fuckin' Obama, man!

markatisu

Republicans Try To Seize Control Of The Word ‘Binder’ Following Debate

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/republicans-empty-binder.php?ref=fpa

Why does the GOP insist on making culture issues, especially in regards to women a focal point. I know they live in a bubble but all this does is make people even more aware of their feelings on the matter

And this is just stupid ass, people are going to be like WTF are they babbling about and be re-introduced to the binder of women lol

Does the whole "Acts of terror" thing strike anyone else as similar to "You didn't build that" in terms of how it is coming across? If you're best defense is lexical parsing, you are losing that argument.

you didn't build that didn't end up mattering much, we'll see how this one plays out.

And the outrage is coming from the same people who are ok with satellite pics of "WMD" trailers?

I do want our state department and CIA to be on the same page, conflicting messages isn't good for anyone, but on the importance scale, I'd say it rates about a 2-3 out of 10.

Conservatives get worked up for two reasons, one it's a crack in the armor of Obama FP and there aren't many. Two it fits into the worldview that Obama is out there bowing to terrorists and trying to protect them, by not jumping up and down screaming AlQueda he's actually trying to shield muslims because he likes to apologize.

CHEEZMO™;43313515 said:
Someone needs to cut Mitt's face out for an emote.

Here ya go. Transparent PNG.
slide_257198_1649591_free.png

Allard

If only we could find the Binders full of tax deductions!

I'm actually a bit surprised Obama didn't bring up Romney's inability to show his tax returns, maybe someone thought it would come across as too petty in his debate prep with so many other things that were wrong with him.

I'm actually a bit surprised Obama didn't bring up Romney's inability to show his tax returns, maybe someone thought it would come across as too petty in his debate prep with so many other things that were wrong with him.

He mentioned his tax rate but I do think Obama would be walking a fine line with the tax returns.

On the flip side, Obama made a quip when Romney attacked his portfolio. Obama could have gone nasty and said "well governor, we'd like to know what you are investing in overseas, but you won't release your tax returns and show us."

But I do think Obama played it right. Romney came off as a douche in that exchange and Obama stayed above it.

Trakdown

So not only are they gonna bring attention to the binders, they're gonna call out Obama for not having a platform.

There's no way this could possibly backfire.

jbug617

Banned
Paul Ryan made a sports gaf today when talking to Colt McCoy. He talked about McCoy and his play for Oklahoma St. McCoy went to Texas. Nothing big but funny for McCoy and Ryan.

markatisu

I mentioned in the other thread: Drown the conversation in semantics is GOP's line of attack, so they can confuse the person who wants to know where the words 'binder full of women' came from.

But won't that make them figure out where the binders come from, thus making it worse for Romney lol

Its like when Romney's people kept saying WE ARE DONE TALKING ABOUT TAXES, and then Romney and his wife bring it back up during an interview and reignite the topic

Brinbe

Paul Ryan made a sports gaf today when talking to Colt McCoy. He talked about McCoy and his play for Oklahoma St. McCoy went to Texas. Nothing big but funny for McCoy and Ryan.

lol, way to make Colt feel better for losing his starting gig, confuse him with Weeden.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

What Republicans hope is that you will think because it was premeditated that they should have been prepared for it. If they were able to tie that with repeated requests for enhanced security and the prior attacks on the consulate over the past month, that would have been a convincing blow to a relatively tarnish-free foreign policy (sure, you and I hate drone attacks, but the American public loves them, apparently) and would set up a more even foreign policy debate. Unfortunately for Romney, he struck out on what was a total setup in his favor.

If Obama were to win, how would you guys prefer he handle the various cuts that go into place in January?

I'm not sure I want Obama to do anything this year outside of maybe cancel some of the defense cuts that directly impact jobs. Overall though I think he should let everything expire, which would give him around 5T in revenue to play around with. I think Obama should offer a tax cut for those making $300k and under, roll back some more of the defense cuts (but not all, obviously), and also attach the legislation aimed at getting veterans into the work force (security jobs).

If republicans reject it, oh well. More revenue for Obama. Let them go back to their districts and explain why they won't cut middle income taxes

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He's in Iowa/Ohio today and tomorrow. And Clinton/Springsteen and Michelle are all out for him in places like Ohio/Wisconsin this week. He has you covered there, don't worry.

XBL users are generally younger and would go towards Bams, it's not surprising.

Now THAT'S a ticket I'd vote for in 2016.

Brinbe

They must coordninate this shit. One of the papers' headlines referred to the binder issues of each candidate.

They do coordinate it. Once the memo comes down from the leadership, they're in lock-step on talking points. That's how their powerful echo chamber works.

You can definitely tell Obama won because the way each campaign is handling aftermath. Romney campaign hitting "binders full of women," Obama campaign hitting Romney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom