• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

so i have my doubts about rand. it shows there has been a 4 point slide from romney to obama in the last week. has there been any evidence of this trend in other trackers?

Diablos

so i have my doubts about rand. it shows there has been a 4 point slide from romney to obama in the last week. has there been any evidence of this trend in other trackers?
Yeah, that's pretty significant imo.

afaik no other pollsters are showing it. Perhaps by the weekend that will change.

Uh, Reuters and TIPPS have shown 6+ swings in the last week.

Reuters was I believe +4 Romney maybe +3 and now is +3 Obama.

TIPPS was +5 Romney and now +1.5 Obama.

RAND went from +2 Obama to + 4 (yesterday) and now +6.

Ras went from I think +3 Romney to +1 Romney. And if Ras's problem is cell phones not being used, it will miss the trend as well.

Gallup is the only one to go the other way.

To criticize RAND is silly since the other 3 trackers have moved for Obama with 2 of them moving even more than RAND.

AniHawk

it's hard for me to trust pollsters in general because i know how this shit works, but it just seems weird that it'd always be generally pretty accurate. the math of it kinda blows my mind.

i trust gallup knows what they're doing. fallacy of authority or whatever, but they've been doing this a fucking long time, so it's weird whenever they're the outlier. rand seems like it's been the outlier going the other direction- i don't believe obama's lead is a +6 right now.

but i guess it is pretty in line with what the movement has generally been, which is a shift back to the president. i think ras not showing a lead isn't quite as important as the improvement overall, although they tend to be closer to the truth in october than anytime before that.

I'd actually argue that because Gallup has been doing something for so long that they're more likely to be worse at it.

Slower to change with the changing dynamics. Happens all the time in the business world (blockbuster, borders, etc). And technology has really changed polling.

RAND is supposed to show a more stable race because it polls the same people. But the trends should play out similarly regardless. And it has. Reuters, TIPPS, and Ras has had similar trends with RAND in the middle (it was a 2 point shit until today).

The non-trackers also show a similar result. If we look at things like Pew and other polls from a week ago to the polls today despite being different firms we're now seeing Obama +1 or +3 which does also signal the same 3-6 point shift back.

To me, the only polling firm completely inconsistent with the rest is Gallup right now. And we've seen their crosstabs by region to make us worry about what is going on. Hell, does anyone believe Obama is losing the entire South by 22 (including Florida)? I sure as hell don't.

Like I said, I don't know why this is happening with Gallup right now but it is. So either they are on to something and everyone else is wrong or it might be time for a shake-up in their firm.

edit: And don't think for a second Gallup isn't aware. They're probably looking at the other polls and trying to figure out why theirs is so different.

SmokeMaxX

Some stuff for you guys to read up on if you're interested in accuracy and what not
2008 Electoral Map - Election Results and Report Cards for Polling Firms
Intrade was one vote shy of predicting Obama's exact total in 2008 (although had two states wrong and didn't predict Nebraska splitting its vote) and I believe they got every state correct in 2004.
A small sampling of polling firms
Poll Score Grade Accuracy Consistency
Rasmussen Reports 91% A- 92% 86%
Ipsos/McClatchy 89% B+ 92% 79%
CNN/Opinion Research 88% B+ 92% 77%
Fox News 84% B 92% 61%
Pew 83% B- 92% 56%

If you give Obama every state he's at least a 66% favorite to win (Ohio, Wisconsin, and Nevada), he gets 271.

EDIT: Just view the grades for the polls on the link; I can't get it formatted correctly.

syllogism

Some stuff for you guys to read up on if you're interested in accuracy and what not
2008 Electoral Map - Election Results and Report Cards for Polling Firms
Intrade was one vote shy of predicting Obama's exact total in 2008 (although had two states wrong and didn't predict Nebraska splitting its vote) and I believe they got every state correct in 2004.
A small sampling of polling firms

If you give Obama every state he's at least a 66% favorite to win (Ohio, Wisconsin, and Nevada), he gets 271.

EDIT: Just view the grades for the polls on the link; I can't get it formatted correctly.
Again, this site is using wrong (dated/premature) data for grading. Obama won 52.9% - 45.7%, not "52.6% - 46.1%" . Also grading by consistency isn't reasonable when you have pollsters such as Rasmussen who weigh by party id, which reduces volatility but can also cause them to miss genuine shifts. Grading should be done over multiple elections as grading for accuracy based on a single poll with a margin of error that is larger than the margin between the of the worst and best poll is laughable. Better to be lucky than good, I suppose

Forever

Banned
Wow.

Scott Brown accused Elizabeth Warren of using paid actors in her asbestos ads, later forced to apologize.

US Senator Scott Brown on Wednesday night issued an apology for earlier saying that his opponent, Democrat Elizabeth Warren, had paid actors to appear as victims of asbestos-related illnesses in television advertisements defending her role in a lawsuit that has become a key issue in the campaign.

Two of the victims, speaking through the Warren campaign, said that was not the case.

“It was wrong for me to have jumped to those conclusions and I apologize to those I offended,” Brown said in a statement.

According to the Gazette, Brown made his comments while visiting Taunton Fire Department’s central station Wednesday morning, when a firefighter asked Brown why family members of asbestos victims were appearing in her commercials.

“A lot of them are paid,” Brown said. “We hear that maybe they pay actors. Listen, you can get surrogates and go out and say your thing. We have regular people in our commercials. No one is paid. They are regular folks that reach out to us and say she is full of it.”

Families respond.

"What Scott Brown said today is so offensive to me and my family after what we went through," Jackson said. "He's sunk to a new low."

Jackson said going through her husband Sam's sickness and death from mesothelioma was one of the most difficult situations she ever endured.

"Sam and I were childhood sweethearts and we had been together since I was 15 years old," Jackson said. "I came forward in this campaign because Massachusetts voters need to know the truth about what Elizabeth Warren did to help families like mine who were affected by asbestos poisoning, rather than Sen. Brown's misleading attacks."

Brown pointed to legal work the Harvard professor was involved with, on behalf of Dow Chemical, related to silicone breast implant safety problems and LTV Steel, involving employee health benefits.

Brown's message is that Warren says she is working on behalf of the little guy, but that in reality she really is not.

John F. English, who appeared in another one of Warren's ads talking about his father who died from mesothelioma, was more direct in his response to Brown's "actor" comment.

"Let Scott Brown tell me to my face that I am nothing but a paid actor, and I'll set him straight on what it was like to watch my father suffocate to death," English said.

Another victim's family member who appeared in a Warren advertisement about the asbestos controversy spoke out about Brown's comments as well. Steven Yapp said that Brown's actor comments were cruel.

"To dismiss what my family went through by calling me a paid actor isn't just disrespectful, but it's cruel," Yapp said. "He's attacking people who lost loved ones to asbestos poisoning, just because we stepped forward to tell the truth about Elizabeth Warren. Sen. Brown showed his true colors today. He's a politician who will say anything and attack anyone that gets in his way."

Farmboy

Took a look at the prediction I made way back on Aug 1st, which seems a lifetime ago. Wasn't a particular bold prediction at the time; it was the 'state of the race' at that point...

...and it's very close to the current state of the race according to Silver (bar Virginia being light red on 538).

So after everything that's happened - including the first debate, the conventions, the 47% remarks, Libya, even the Ryan pick - we're pretty much back where we started. Which isn't necessarily bad news.

Of course, an Obama win was always going to look pretty much like this (perhaps adding Florida, with an outside shot at North Carolina. Or removing Viriginia and Colorado, if things go slightly in the other direction).

Averon

I think Scott Brown may have had a decent shot keeping the seat if 2012 were a mid-term election, not a presidential one. In a heavily democratic state where Obama will likely win it by 20-30 points, and it being an extremely high profile senate seat, Brown always had an uphill battle imo. The fact that he came off so badly after the debates was just extra.

Forever

Banned
Look at these campaign schedules for today:

Barack Obama — Manchester, NH, and New York City, NY

Veteran's Memorial Park (Manchester)
11:55 AM EDT

Comedy Central Studios for taping of Daily Show with Jon Stewart
3:30 PM EDT

Waldorf Astoria, private campaign event
4:20 PM EDT

Alfred. E. Smith Memorial Dinner, Waldorf
7:55 PM EDT

Joe Biden — Las Vegas, NV

Event Center, Culinary Academy
11 AM PDT

Bill Clinton and Bruce Springsteen — Parma, OH

Tri-C Western Campus Fieldhouse
11 AM EDT

Bill Clinton — Wintersville, OH

Indian Creek High School Gymnasium
1:30 PM EDT

Mitt Romney — New York City, NY

Alfred E. Smith Memorial Dinner, Waldorf Astoria
9 PM EDT

Paul Ryan — Ocala and Fort Myers, FL

Ocala Town Square
12:00 PM EDT

Lee County Sports Complex (Fort Myers)
6:45 PM EDT
Obama puttin' in dat work.

Like I said Obama campaign needs to step up their florida ground game.

I feel like they are going to have Obama/Biden concentrate on NV, IA, OH, NH, VA, WI, CO

But in terms of GOTV, latest reports said that they had greatly reduced the Republican advantage in absentee ballots from 2008.

massoluk

Banned
Wow.... so that's it for Scott Brown then? Shame, I didn't even dislike him. He seemed much better than most other GOP congressmen.

Here is the article I read yesterday, the 4 states for Obama Campaign:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/what-s-next-in-the-obama-romney-duel-20121017

What also became clear after the dust began to settle from the rumble on Long Island was the electoral map has narrowed and Obama's team, while conceding nothing publicly, is circling the wagons around Ohio, Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada. Plouffe said that Obama remains strong in all four states, but he would not discuss the specifics of internal polling or voter-contact analytics, saying only that Obama has "significant leads" in all four places.

It is uncharacteristic of Team Obama to concede any terrain, but Plouffe offered no such assurances about Obama's position in North Carolina, Virginia, or Florida. Romney advisers have seen big gains in all three states and now consider wins likely, although not guaranteed, in all three. They are similarly upbeat about prospects in Colorado but not confident enough to predict victory. That Plouffe left Colorado off his list of states where Obama's leading and can withstand a Romney surge might be telling.

I think they have given up on NC for the most part. I am sure they will continue with their ground game though, but doubt we will see any Obama visits. I see them not caring too much about FL, it is not essential to their math.

I wouldn't think they would have given up on VA though.

It is mind boggling that Romney's campaign has pretty much relied on Ryan to get FL...the one guy who wanted to private SS and convert Medicare into vouchers. wtf Seniors indeed.

Also, Biden should campaign more!

Jadedx

Banned
I just feel like Obama missed a huge opportunity in my home state, Obama was winning over the older voters just a few weeks ago. All they have to do is send Bill Clinton and Charlie Christ for the old people, and send Michelle Obama and Eva Longoria for the Women/Black/Latin vote. Come October 27 I want to see surrogates marching people toward early voting booths like they did in Ohio.

Also, Obama needs to spend the next 3 days preparing for the debate instead of campaigning.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Look at these campaign schedules for today:

Obama puttin' in dat work.

LOL at that Bill Clinton schedule. A high school and a college? I see what he did there.

I just feel like Obama missed a huge opportunity in my home state, Obama was winning over the older voters just a few weeks ago. All they have to do is send Bill Clinton and Charlie Christ for the old people, and send Michelle Obama and Eva Longoria for the Women/Black/Latin vote. Come October 27 I want to see surrogates marching people toward early voting booths like they did in Ohio.

Also, Obama needs to spend the next 3 days preparing for the debate instead of campaigning.

Why? He has alot of very winnable states that Mitt is currently up in. I don't think he will take another debate off again.

Besides, Mitt managed to fuck up on one of the easiest bunnies he was thrown in reagrds to FP. He's pretty clueless and his team is too. This isn't like the economy.

Jadedx

Banned
Why? He has alot of very winnable states that Mitt is currently up in. I don't think he will take another debate off again.

Besides, Mitt managed to fuck up on one of the easiest bunnies he was thrown in reagrds to FP. He's pretty clueless and his team is too. This isn't like the economy.

Over confidence is the enemy.

Loudninja

What the hell?He has to campaign.

You do know the election is almost here right?

I think I read somewhere that the last claims report wasn't able to get CA in time, hence the significant drop. So this may be taking CA into account again.

codhand

What? Who's that from?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49460659
Weekly applications for U.S. unemployment benefits jumped 46,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 388,000, the highest in four months. The increase represents a rebound from the previous week's sharp drop. Both swings were largely due to technical factors.

The Labor Department says the four-week average of applications, a less volatile measure, fell slightly to 365,500, a level consistent with modest hiring.

Last week, California reported a large drop in applications, pushing down the overall figure to the lowest since February 2008.

This week, it reported a significant increase as it processed applications delayed from the previous week.
A department spokesman says the seasonally adjusted numbers "are being distorted ... by an issue of timing."

Applications are a proxy for layoffs. When they decline, it suggests hiring is improving.

The prior week's figure was revised up to show 3,000 more applications than previously reported to 342,000.

... Source, man. Source.
!(story developing)
!

Drek

I'm not saying not to stop campaigning completely, just for the next 3 days till the debate starts.

Or he could try to walk and chew gum at the same time, prepping for the debates between campaign stops and cramming in the evenings.

This should be a lot of 20 hour days for Obama followed by a 24 hour break before the debate where he can do some last minute cramming and recharge the batteries.

Tim-E

After complaining before the second debate that Obama wasn't campaigning enough, now you guys are complaining that he isn't doing enough debate prep.

I'm pretty close to bailing on this thread entirely.

codhand

I'm pretty close to bailing on this thread entirely.

jennifer-lawrence.gif

this bird that's attention whoring across this room from me kind of reminds me of some of these posts

e: and the cat that's trolling it reminds me of PD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom