• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the hell is wrong with Gallup?

Gallup is a joke.

Meh. Sometimes you strike out with a non-random sampling and get bad results. The fact that their numbers are so far away from everyone else indicates this may be the case.

I think polling is much more difficult these days because of various reasons
-Cell phones have really thrown a monkey wrench into things
-A much more cynical and manipulative public.

15% of people polled said that Romney was more responsible for Bin Laden's death than Obama. Now clearly, those are people just fucking with pollsters because it is an illogical answer. People do that these days. A couple of Romney supporters claiming to be independent/liberal that say they'll vote for Romney can really throw off the results of a poll.

Bruce out there playing his new song "Forward"

As a long-time Bruce fan, his new partisan role is a little weird. The subtext of his lyrics have long revealed a more liberal position but he stood steadfastly as non partisan for a long time. He then started leaning more to the left. He's now totally abandoned being non-partisan now. I guess he's in semi-retirement these days so he just does whatever he wants.

Drek

Meh. Sometimes you strike out with a non-random sampling and get bad results. The fact that their numbers are so far away from everyone else indicates this may be the case.

I think polling is much more difficult these days because of various reasons
-Cell phones have really thrown a monkey wrench into things
-A much more cynical and manipulative public.

15% of people polled said that Romney was more responsible for Bin Laden's death than Obama. Now clearly, those are people just fucking with pollsters because it is an illogical answer. People do that these days. A couple of Romney supporters claiming to be independent/liberal that say they'll vote for Romney can really throw off the results of a poll.
Yep. Only takes a few dozen tea party "independents" to dick up a likely voter model and sink a poll.

Now imagine you do a 7ysi day rolling average. You have an entire week to poll before moving a single dishonest group out of the model. Add that they're using a pretty unproven model and you have a recipe for errors.

It would be nice if Gallup could give dailies plus detailed breakdowns on the raw data.

TiVo

As a long-time Bruce fan, his new partisan role is a little weird. The subtext of his lyrics have long revealed a more liberal position but he stood steadfastly as non partisan for a long time. He then started leaning more to the left. He's now totally abandoned being non-partisan now. I guess he's in semi-retirement these days so he just does whatever he wants.

Every country singer(Hank Williams Jr., Ted Nugent, Guy from Metallica, etc.) out there except Dixie Chicks > Bruce Springsteen
When it comes to being non-partisan

Loudninja

Va. Sheriff Investigating GOP Tie To Trashed Voter Forms
A Virgina sheriff confirmed to TPM on Thursday that his office is investigating whether a man seen tossing completed voter registration forms into a dumpster is connected to the state Republican Party.

Rockingham County Sheriff Bryan Hutcheson (R) said his office may make an announcement about the case as soon as Thursday afternoon depending up the outcome of interviews conducted earlier in the day.

His office began investigating after manager Rob Johnson at a home good store called Tuesday Morning in Harrisonburg, Va. spotted a man on Monday afternoon throwing eight voter registration forms into a dumpster behind the shopping center where he works.

In an interview with TPM on Wednesday, Johnson said the man was driving a black Toyota with Pennsylvania license plates. He said he thought he saw the same car parked outside the Republican Party’s Harrisonburg Victory Office the following day. The office is just down the street from the shopping center.

“I spotted the car that the gentleman was driving when he threw the voter registration applications into the dumpster parked in front of the Republican campaign headquarters,” Johnson said.

A staffer at the Harrisonburg Victory Office referred TPM to the Republican Party of Virginia, which has not responded to repeated requests for comment.

Virginia does not register voters by political party, so it would be difficult for someone to discard forms from their political opponents. Rockingham County Registrar Doug Geib said that his office was able to process the recovered forms after receiving advice from the Virginia State Board of Elections.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...ublican_voter_registration.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Any model showing a 50+ for Romney is suspect in my eyes. I just don't see it, particularly not because he won the first debate, i.e. he scratched his nose at the exact right moment causing some pundit to say he's more presidential or whatever.

AniHawk

Not concerned about Gallup anymore, outside of the inevitable voter fraud charges if Obama wins while down in their poll. They switched their methodology recently and it's clearly off.

I hate even exposing myself to charges of skewing but come the fuck on

weird thing is, the switching of their methodology was supposed to be a plus for obama. instead it's been the opposite of what i just said.

Tim-E

It just popped up on Political Wire, and I wasn't around last night. I see that it's garbage now. Weird that Goddard would post it now.

Excuuuuuse me, pricess!

Diablos

What the fuck is wrong with Gallup? How can he be averaging at 50% in the daily approval but down by 7 in the LV model?

Something is seriously wrong... wtf

Also Mitt can drop Libya but what's that gonna do for him at the debate? What's he gonna do? Try to tie his defense budget and then repealing Obamacare into making a case for the economy?

Dumping money into PA and MI is stupid, WI I understand though. I really hope Bams can eek out a win in VA, he's going to need it if something unexpected happens. CO too. Obama should just take all the money and resources from FL and NC and dump them into VA, and to a lesser extent CO.

Gallup's tweaked model might be the culprit for the LV data but you can't help but feel a little uncomfortable when you see it continue to grow for Mitt.

Crisco

Banned
Obama should come to Utah. Obviously he has no chance of winning the state, but he would get a MASSIVE crowd in salt lake city, which would make for some nice optics.

DasRaven

Obama should come to Utah. Obviously he has no chance of winning the state, but he would get a MASSIVE crowd in salt lake city, which would make for some nice optics.

That would be some incredible optics in front of the Tabernacle's reflecting pool.
I have a bunch of friends in SLC. Good town, smelly though.

Gallup made their bed, nothing we can do. Obama has lost ground consistently since they changed their model, and that probably won't change

The problem is that if Obama wins a close election we are going to see multiple fraud stories, and once again the GOP will give credibility to fringe voices on the far right. We're going to have a very, very ugly election aftermath if Obama wins. The south might guarantee a virtual vote % tie nationally

Diablos

Now more than ever I'm reminded how much it sucks that the census data has given an advantage to red states. Assuming the GOP takes back FL, we're looking at, what, +8 for the GOP's EV prospects and -5 for Democrats? That sucks. If the results are super tight, the census data is what could let Romney win, whereas in 2008 it would have given Dems a slight edge instead.

While they are calling more cell users, they are also calling more white and elderly voters than before

And just calling more cell phones does not solve the cell phone issue. Caller ID changes things. When I was growing up when the phone rang, you answered it. There was no voicemail, there was no caller ID, there was no texting instead of answering, etc. So even with calling more cell phones, an old person is more likely to answer their phone than a younger person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom