• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trurl

Banned
As already mentioned, hawaii is solid blue.

I'm a pessimist so I'd put VA and CO in Romney's column but Obama still wins.

I predict that Obama keeps every state he won in '08 except Florida, NC, VA, CO, and IN. So the same as you.

Unfortunately I also have a weird sense of dread that Obama will lose some state that few of us saw coming.

GhaleonEB

538 forecast actually increased to 65.7 from 64.8 yesterday, despite the Gallup poll. Nate's not buying it. Good stuff.

Nate showed how it's weighted in his poll:

fivethirtyeight-1018-galvote2-blog480.png

It's not so much that he's not buying it, but that the rest of the pollsters aren't seeing it.

So what are the odds of my map being a reality? I did this two months ago.

GFWZR.png

Back then a lot of people said I was crazy, and Obama would get more than this. I feel like it's not too far off now.

Trurl

Banned
538 forecast actually increased to 65.7 from 64.8 yesterday, despite the Gallup poll. Nate's not buying it. Good stuff.

I don't think the Gallup poll has been included yet. The last update was at 12:14 AM.

Also, I'm paying way more attention to this stuff than I promised myself that I would.

Damn you, Gallup!

Forever

Banned

GFWZR.png

Back then a lot of people said I was crazy, and Obama would get more than this. I feel like it's not too far off now.

I think that's a reasonable prediction. If I were to be cautious I'd knock off Colorado and Virginia.

pigeon

Banned
Looks like they got that guy in Va who was throwing away voter registration forms:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...inia_gop_voter_registration_fraud.php?ref=fpb

Wow, that is a lot of charges.

One thing I'm starting to find fascinating is that the evidence suggests Romney's actually just a bad manager. No ground game investment, vastly overpaying for ad time because he wants to micromanage the very moment it airs...in a sense, this is actually just a battle between a Silicon Valley agile/data-mining/cult of personality style of management and a Wall Street waterfall/gut feeling/unitary executive CEO style of management. Moneyball, politics style. The funny thing is that Romney was, of all the campaigners, the one with the most experience with management.

Maybe the real takeaway is that MBAs are bad for you. But then, I basically already knew that.

GhaleonEB

GFWZR.png

That's been my exact map for about a month as well. I think it's quite likely. Virginia will be close, though.

I still think that Florida isn't quite the toss up people think it is, so I'd say your map is still kind of a "floor" as to where to expect him to end up.

Wow, that is a lot of charges.

One thing I'm starting to find fascinating is that the evidence suggests Romney's actually just a bad manager. No ground game investment, vastly overpaying for ad time because he wants to micromanage the very moment it airs...in a sense, this is actually just a battle between a Silicon Valley agile/data-mining/cult of personality style of management and a Wall Street waterfall/gut feeling/unitary executive CEO style of management. Moneyball, politics style. The funny thing is that Romney was, of all the campaigners, the one with the most experience with management.

Maybe the real takeaway is that MBAs are bad for you. But then, I basically already knew that.

The funny thing is that running a private equity firm is absolutely nothing like managing a government, or running a campaign. nor should it be. The fact that experience gutting companies for shareholder profits is considered some kind of asset for running for president, or qualification for managing a campaign is one of the more head scratching things about the political discussion right now.

Trakdown

GFWZR.png

I'm leaning towards this as well. As long as Obama has his Red Bull before the next debate I don't see much coming up to sway anybody.

I predict that Obama keeps every state he won in '08 except Florida, NC, VA, CO, and IN. So the same as you.

Unfortunately I also have a weird sense of dread that Obama will lose some state that few of us saw coming.

Well . . . I don't really view VA and CO as Romney wins . . . more like toss-ups. I just wouldn't count on them for a win. They should definitely campaign hard in those places. I think Obama has a very good shot at CO. I'm kinda skeptical on VA though. Maybe I'm just taking their Governor picks too seriously.

RDreamer

"I don't think anybody in America wants to see us take the same kind of healthcare program that Canada has." - Tommy Thompson

I fucking hate Republicans, and I hate that Baldwin probably can't defend her position of Obamacare not going far enough...

Forever

Banned
To recap state polls released today:

Colorado (PPP, 10/16-18): Obama 50, Romney 47
Florida (Newsmax/Zogby, 10/14-16): Obama 47, Romney 44
Iowa (Marist/NBC, 10/15-17): Obama 51, Romney 43
Michigan (EPIC-MRA, 10/17): Obama 52, Romney 46
North Carolina (Rasmussen, 10/17): Obama 46, Romney 52
Ohio (Rasmussen, 10/17): Obama 49, Romney 48
Ohio (SurveyUSA, 10/12-15): Obama 45, Romney 42
Virginia (PPP, 10/15-16): Obama 49, Romney 48
Wisconsin (Marist/NBC, 10/15-17): Obama 48 51, Romney 47 45

265.jpg

"I don't think anybody in America wants to see us take the same kind of healthcare program that Canada has." - Tommy Thompson

Goddammit, I hate this so much. I wanted the Canadian system so bad in the US that I fucking moved there (well, that wasn't the reason but it helped). And I have yet to meet a Canadian here who would trade their system for anything and isn't completely baffled by Americans reactions to Obamacare.

pigeon

Banned

Actually kind of breathtaking when you look at them all together like that. Good news for Obama.

Sometimes I feel like PoliGAF needs a guide.

Listen to: Cyan, GhaleonEB, Jackson50
Troll with or otherwise ignore: PD
Panic with: Diablos and CS
Be calm with: Black Mamba, pigeon, loudninja, Tim-E, Forever
Harass PD, make sarcastic/joking responses, fake panic with: Dax
Appreciate trolling of: Incognito

Something like that.

Piecake

Goddammit, I hate this so much. I wanted the Canadian system so bad in the US that I fucking moved there (well, that wasn't the reason but it helped). And I have yet to meet a Canadian here who would trade their system for anything and isn't completely baffled by Americans reactions to Obamacare.

Im sure most americans will start loving it once its fully implemented. The mouth-breathing crazy republicans might still hate it (or love it 'dont touch my medicare!), but those people are just nuts

Tim-E

Something like that.

I'm down with this.

Drek

Zogby? Really? How they got Obama doing in Georgia this time around?

Something like that.

And I'm in categories 4 and 5

RDreamer

lol, Thompson has a tax plan that gives people a choice between a flat tax or normal taxes. He touts it as something you can totally do at half time of the Packers game, and then get a beer afterwards. smh

What I hate is that I know she literally cannot defend that. She can barely talk about it, because people are fucking stupid.

Loudninja

Something like that.
Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom