• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That this election still isn't locked up, frustrates me to no end. Still so many wildcards and scenarios possible. Bah!

Chill, Obama's got this. Early voting has basically shut off Ohio and Iowa for Romney and that's not even mentioning Obama's gains in Colorado and Nevada.

Shit, even states that I'm considering lost for Obama (Florida, NC) could still be tipped back to blue due to the ground game.

I remember McCain's last stop in Indiana was the equivalent of him stepping out of his plane and giving a rally on the tarmac. Needless to say it didn't mean much.

It was the night before the election and McCain was still holding rally's in PA while Obama was at home in bed. Tis' a fools errand.

Cuomo isn't campaigning and he is running. Schweitzer really isn't out there at all either tier than the DNC. Pretty much only one is O'malley. So I don't think that is indicative of anything.

Actually I disagree. Cuomo and Schweitzer are governors of uncompetitive states; plus I'd argue Cuomo is hedging against Obama, planning to run in 2016 as a business friendly democrat. Warner is the most popular person in a very important, competitive state. What better way to gain favor with Obama and (perhaps most importantly) his campaign staff than to go all out in Virginia? It seems to me like the perfect spring board to 2016: help Obama win Virginia (and thus the election), get rewarded with a more visible role in the senate, easily win re-election in 2014, then run for president in 2015/2016.

Regardless of who I'm for, I love when it is this close and keeps you guessing all the way through election night. LOVE IT.

Nope, these aren't NPD numbers. It's the decision on who's gonna be president. Despite me being a political junkie, I want the good guy to win, obviously, in a landslide. Fuck this "it's a tossup" bullshit.

pigeon

Banned
Wow I'm shocked it's even that close. I thought Romney would have it on lockdown.

R+1 in Florida is basically the consensus of all the recent polls. There's still no battleground state where Romney is running away with it -- a two point shift towards Obama would deliver him 330 EVs. The same isn't true for Romney.

So just hope Mitt calls somebody "whitey."

That has to be the stupidest hit job ever. The entire point of Silver's model is that it takes a shit ton of data, weigh it, and predicts an outcome. That is not something you simply fiddle with one day to get whatever outcome you want (to save face).

The RCP aggregate is based on national polls, which do not reflect what's happening in states - hence why being virtually tied in a national aggregate does not make an election a toss up. That article boils down to "lol math."

I can't wait for Silver's response. Better yet, I'd love for him to offer an interview to the author.

Cloudy

Banned
I can't wait for Silver's response. Better yet, I'd love for him to offer an interview to the author.

Nate Silver ‏@fivethirtyeight

The surest sign that you're a hack is that you think everyone else is a hack.
Details

Nate Silver ‏@fivethirtyeight

If you don't like the 538 forecast, you can bet against it! Bookies have pretty much the same odds that we do. http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/us-presidential-election/winner …

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
let's survey some facts now. while biden will be campaigning in minnesota, yes that minnesota, paul ryan will be holding a campaign rally outside pittsburgh. and i don't have to tell you what state that's in. pretty strong position for the RR ticket...

LOL. love it.

But the race changed dramatically, and my guess is that, right now, it’s probably a 50-50 proposition. (Silver would likely dismiss this by arguing that political commentators always think every election is a coin toss. But empirical evidence suggests the race is actually close. At the time of this writing, Real Clear Politics poll average has Romney up .1 percent.)

So why hasn’t Silver adjusted accordingly?

It could be that he is just frankly smarter than all the other pollsters, pundits and predictors.

Maybe he just got lucky last time?
Gee . . . maybe it is because the national vote really doesn't matter and his model is heavily weighted using state polls which predict electoral votes.

Or maybe you should teach me more about the President Gore administration. Duh.

wait that FL poll has it O +7 among RV? that is great.

any word on obama's florida ground game? if there really is such a big discrepancy between LV and RV, perhaps his team can pull it off after all.

i really want FL to go blue, it would make the obama victory so much larger. 29 EVs, damn.

50 Obama, 43 Romney RV same poll

Depends...
Holy shit.

I think LV screens tend to be tighter on polls with RV and LV subsets because it's more about measuring enthusiasm than whether someone will actually take the time to show up at the polls (if they finish a poll I tend to think they're pretty politically in tune). OFA just needs to mobilize those voters.

I don't understand the "skin in the game" argument either. If Silver has Obama at a 60-70% chance of winning on election day, and Romney winds up winning, he will lose a lot of credibility.

Diablos

Isn't Pittsburgh in several OH media markets? It'll take more than that to convince me that the Romney camp believes they have a real shot in PA.
fwiw I have seen hardly any Obama signs here in suburban Pittsburgh.

That said Philly will make up for it and then some, and Obama will still carry Allegheny County, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Also is Faux News having some report tonight about Libya tonight?

gcubed

I don't understand the "skin in the game" argument either. If Silver has Obama at a 60-70% chance of winning on election day, and Romney winds up winning, he will lose a lot of credibility.

the entire article is a disaster, to pick one piece of it puts more pain on yourself.

Holy shit.

I think LV screens tend to be tighter on polls with RV and LV subsets because it's more about measuring enthusiasm than whether someone will actually take the time to show up at the polls (if they finish a poll I tend to think they're pretty politically in tune). OFA just needs to mobilize those voters.

Also, according to CNN:

Likely Florida voters 50 and under: Obama 56, Romney 36

He shouldn't though. At 70% where talking about virtually being correct 2/3s of the time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Early voting is probably the only reason that Obama wins this thing, as it looks now. If it were relegated just to day-of voting, with ID in hand, Romney could probably take Ohio, Iowa, Colorado and NV. This is the main reason why ground game matters. Obama's people have been out passing out registration forms for months, getting people aware enough to send in for absentee ballots. Telling them where their polling place is, etc.

Romney is outmatched on people by far.

So what do you think this says about our country's Presidential election process?

Diablos

Tune in to Fox News this Friday at 10 p.m. ET for a "Special Report" investigation on the Libya consulate attack.

Bret Baier anchors an investigation into the violent fiasco in Libya that ended in the deaths of a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.

The special includes Baier's exclusive interview with the head of the U.S. Embassy's Site Security Team, and the latest developments from Benghazi.

It will also include additional reports from the White House and the campaign trail -- where voters are asking: What did President Obama know, and when did he know it?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-death-and-deceit-in-benghazi/#ixzz29mPu1YTs
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/18/special-report-investigates-death-and-deceit-in-benghazi/

Fair and balanced or last ditch effort to make Obama look like Carter?

You decide.

Jackson50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom