• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Obama better memorize this completely, even then no one on the right will believe it.

Incidentally...

fp.com said:
House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) compromised the identities of several Libyans working with the U.S. government and placed their lives in danger when he released reams of State Department communications Friday, according to Obama administration officials.

Issa posted 166 pages of sensitive but unclassified State Department communications related to Libya on the committee's website afternoon as part of his effort to investigate security failures and expose contradictions in the administration's statements regarding the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi that resulted in the death of Amb. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans....

But Issa didn't bother to retract the names of Libyan civilians and local leaders mentioned in the cables, and just as with the WikiLeaks dump of State Department cables last year, the administration says that Issa has done damage to U.S. efforts to work with those Libyans and exposed them to physical danger from the very groups that had an interest in attacking the U.S. consulate....

One of the cables released by Issa names a woman human rights activist who was leading a campaign against violence and was detained in Benghazi. She expressed fear for her safety to U.S. officials and criticized the Libyan government.

"This woman is trying to raise an anti-violence campaign on her own and came to the United States for help. She isn't publicly associated with the U.S. in any other way but she's now named in this cable. It's a danger to her life," the administration official said.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/p...p_exposes_several_libyans_working_with_the_us

I just keep getting more amazed about this. I really hope the complete GOP mishandling of the entire concept of investigation gets media attention. Probably need to make a thread.

Owzers

coldfoot

Banned
It's no secret that I read a lot of political debates, and recently I've come to notice something.

Generally, the people on the conservative side of a debate have very uniform, predictable arguments. You could read the same debate play out across ten different forums and see ten posts which, while not 100% identical, are very close. To me, this seems to imply that most conservative political warriors are not coming up with their own arguments, but are basically copying and pasting from one or more common sources.

On the other side of the debate, I find that the liberals almost always show a lot more original thought in their arguments. It's much rarer for me to see a liberal copy someone else's talking point word for word unless it's not particularly serious (i.e. binders full of women). The liberals are almost always more likely to be able to quickly come up with a statistical or otherwise empirical study on the subject of the debate at hand and construct an argument based around that.

I had never really put all of this together, but it's quite fascinating.

There is a study on that which explains your observations

Owzers

Romney is going to get all his Libya information from the one hour Fox Libya special tonight. At least Obama will know his attack lines.

"Death and Deceit in Benghazi"

With "straight newsman" Bret Baier

Peggy Noonan (WSJ contributor) is a goddamn halfwit.

The Year Debates Mattered

I don't understand why this woman gets paid to write for a major business/politics publication.
Maybe if Peggy paid attention to the gas price situation back in '08 she'd understand why gas prices were the way they were. Oh wait she most likely did and is feigning being an idiot about it because she knows that most potential Romney voters didn't pay attention to gas prices back then or didn't give a shit.

In '08 gas prices went up to $4 a gallon for the first time, while George W. Bush was in office mind you. When they got so ridiculously high, hybrids started selling a lot more and many people traded to smaller more efficient cars so they wouldn't feel so much pain at the pump, and prices of everything from milk to bread and other things skyrocketed due to the fuel prices rising. Demand for gas eventually went down after the summer and also we had that little economic collapse thing going on with Bear Sterns, Lehman Bros, AIG etc etc etc. Gas prices ended up plummeting by the end of the year due to dramatically decreased demand both due to the high prices, and due to the economic collapse which also decreased demand even more. A recovering economy like we have now has increased demand and here we are again with high gas prices.

If the economy wasn't recovering, gas prices would still be low due to low demand. Peggy Noonan is counting on the Republican base not having enough sense to realize she is full of shit.

I don't get how someone can be proud of belonging to a party that depends on its base being stupid. They just don't pay enough attention to realize that it's happening and they just watch Fox News though. I guess that's how.

Tim-E

biggest newspaper in wv? so circulation of 4?

:ba dum pish

Closer to 40-60k.

Is this news? Newspaper endorsements don't really matter anymore. With the right's ascent up bullshit mountain, everyone's entrenched their sides. I doubt any major newspapers will flip from their 2008 endorsements. I doubt even more that it'll change any votes.

People were posting newspaper endorsements. I posted a newspaper endorsement.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
With all the mileage the Romney campaign squeezed out of "You Didn't Build That" (not to mention their ridiculous attacks on the Libya situation and the "If We Keep Talking About The Economy We're Going To Lose" ad) I don't want to hear any Republicans bitching about "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt". Obama campaign gets a gimme for that.
The spirit of Obama's attack is factually correct. Numerous estimates at the time suggested that GM and Chrysler would not have survived a bankruptcy in the way that Romney thinks it should have occurred. Obama even pointed this out during the second debate. Republicans can bitch all they want, but the worst that the ad does is simplify the argument.

It is the WSJ OPed page, it is completely worthless. I had an econ teacher who would assign homework from the WSJ but he always told us "Never get your information from the OPed pages, they are completely worthless and filled with half-wits of the highest caliber." On a side note the guy was/is a HUGE Joe Biden fan.

The WSJ news pages have historically been reliable (well, as reliable as can be expected for a corporate enterprise). I think it dubious Murdoch will retain quality. Everything that asshole touches turns to utter shit. I can't believe Australia birthed such an abomination.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The WSJ news pages have historically been reliable (well, as reliable as can be expected for a corporate enterprise). I think it dubious Murdoch will retain quality. Everything that asshole touches turns to utter shit. I can't believe Australia birthed such an abomination.

The news pages still aren't too bad (they can have a pretty bad lean if you are looking for political news or anything non-economic/business), but the OPed pages are a cesspool and are constantly getting worse.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why Joe Biden, out of curiosity? He doesn't usually inspire rabid fandom.

He sees Biden as one of the few genuine politicians I suppose. It was just something he mentioned off-hand one day when asked about it. I wouldn't say he was rabid, put he made it sound like he'd definitely vote for the guy.

Forever

Banned
He sees Biden as one of the few genuine politicians I suppose.

Makes sense. He is that, I think. When a man can't control what comes out of his mouth you tend to be able to rely on his honesty.

That reminds me, time to feed the PD.

The war room within a war room dismissed or discredited much of the gossip floating around, but not all of it. The stories about one woman were more concrete, and after some discreet fact-finding, the group concluded that they were true: that Bill was indeed having an affair—and not a frivolous one-night stand but a sustained romantic relationship.

This was exactly the scenario that had incited so many members of the conspiracy of whispers to urge Obama into the race—and what everyone who signed up with Hillary feared each waking day. But whatever storm of emotions Clinton herself might have been experiencing she put aside in the interest of survival. She instructed her team to prepare to deal with the potential blowup of Bill’s personal life. For months thereafter, the war room within a war room braced for the explosion, which her aides knew could come at any time.

Hillary was in Washington for votes in the Senate. So was Obama. The next day, as both of them prepared to fly to Des Moines for another debate, they found themselves boarding their campaign planes at the same time at Reagan National Airport. One of the strangest things about presidential campaigns is how rarely the candidates are ever in close proximity to one another. They might greet voters one county apart or brush past each other in a debate hall, but private conversations almost never happen.

Yet now came an exception.

“Senator Clinton would like to speak with you,” one of her advance people told Obama. Obama ambled over to Clinton as she stood there on the tarmac.

I’m sorry about what Billy said, Hillary began. I didn’t know he was going to do that. I’m not running that kind of campaign.

That’s fine, Hillary, Obama replied, but this wasn’t an isolated incident. There were those emails in Iowa . . .

Now, hold on a second! Clinton said, cutting Obama off, uncorking the long list of grievances she’d been stewing on for months. What about Geffen? What about attacking her about her White House papers? The list went on and on.

For the next several minutes, the two went at it in animated fashion. Bug-eyed, red-faced, waving her arms, Hillary pointed at Obama’s chest. Obama tried to calm her down by putting his hand on her shoulder—but that only made her angrier. Finally, they broke from the clinch, stalking back to their respective planes.

“Wow, that was surreal,” Obama told Axelrod. He was struck by her fury, and more than that, he thought that she seemed shaken. “You could see something in her eyes,” he said, something he hadn’t seen before. Maybe it was fear. Maybe desperation. “You know what?” Obama said. “We’re doing something right.”

On her plane, Clinton related her interpretation of what had happened. I tried to apologize, she told her people, but then he started yelling. The way Obama came back at her told her that he was rattled. She couldn’t believe he’d put his hand on her, violated her personal space. “He’s got a lot of nerve,” she said.

Obama’s association with Rezko was one of the missteps from his past that the press had barely touched—much to the chagrin of Bill Clinton and Penn. Although Penn had told Hillary before the debate that this wasn’t the time or place to raise Rezko, the chief strategist couldn’t contain his visceral excitement in the moment. Watching the debate on TV with his colleagues, Penn yelled out, “Yes!”

No one was belting out affirmations in the Obama staff room; everyone was too busy grimacing at Barack’s performance. The candidate had presented an image—caustic, sarcastic, and thin-skinned—at striking variance with public perceptions of him. It was a side of Obama, however, that his aides sometimes saw in private, and one they feared might cause voters to view him as an angry black man if it were displayed in public. After catching the clips on TV afterward, Obama didn’t disagree. “I probably went a little too far,” he told Jarrett over dinner, “but she did, too.”

Hillary shared that assessment, but believed she had justification. “I’m sorry,” she told her aides as she exited the stage, “but he was such an asshole.”

Penn, always on the lookout for business, said he wanted to try “to reconcile with the Obama campaign.”

“They’re never going to reconcile,” Clinton said dismissively. “Ain’t gonna happen. Ain’t gonna happen. Ain’t gonna happen. They are vindictive and small. They don’t think they need me. They had that conversation with Bill, they never called and asked him to do anything. They don’t care about a former president.”

Clinton returned to Obama’s prospects in the general election. “I think it’s fifty-fifty whether he wins, right?” she said, noting that Obama’s VP choice was critical, giving odds on whom he would pick: “Biden, one-in-two chance. Bayh, one-in-four chance. Kaine and Sebelius, both which I think are terrible choices, one-in-eight chance.”

For a year and a half, Hillary had spent every waking moment not just trying to defeat Obama, but convincing herself that he was a lightweight, a nose-in-the-air elitist totally unfit to be the leader of the free world.
A little more than a month after he ended her dream, she hadn’t become unconvinced. But now she would be forced to sit back and watch him run against McCain—a man whom Clinton considered a friend, but one whose election would be tantamount to reelecting Bush to a third term.

“The campaign was a terrible disappointment,” she said. “I hate the choice that the country’s faced with. I think it is a terrible choice for our nation.”
Hillary felt the pressure more than her husband. The eyes of the world would be on her Tuesday night as never before in the campaign. But by that morning, her speech was in good shape, she thought. She went over to the Pepsi Center, the sports arena where the first three days of the convention were taking place, to practice it on a prompter with the convention’s dedicated speech coach, Michael Sheehan. When she was done, she returned to her room to rest. In the afternoon, she wandered down the hall to the small meeting room where her speechwriting team had been laboring over her text, to rehearse it one last time. She picked up the speech, began to look it over—and was stunned to discover that the thing had been rewritten. It was unrecognizable.

“This is my speech?” Clinton said. What the hell happened to it? Your husband happened, her speechwriting team informed her.
Bill had shown up with a pile of handwritten notes, ideas about how to restructure the speech to make it better. New lines, language, themes. The speechwriters had dutifully incorporated his edits.

Hillary was furious, apoplectic. “This is my speech!” she said, and then stalked out of the room and back to her suite.

A few minutes later, Bill walked into the conference room looking sheepish and chastised.
The speechwriters were frantically trying to reconstruct the address. There was paper strewn all over the long table, hard copies of various versions of the text. Standing over the addled aides as they cut and pasted on a laptop, Clinton attempted to pitch in. This was here, I added this, I like this, I like that, the former president said.

Bonus repost:
To one friend in Chicago, Obama complained, “It’s basically the same as Springfield”—the Illinois capital where he had toiled in the state senate—“except the average age in Springfield is forty-two and in Washington it’s sixty-two. Other than that, it’s the same bullshit.” After enduring an unceasing monologue by Senator Joe Biden during a committee hearing, Obama passed a note to Gibbs that read, “Shoot me now.” Time and again after debates on the floor, he would emerge through the chamber’s double doors shaking his head, rolling his eyes, using both hands to give the universal symbol for the flapping of gums, sighing wearily, “Yak, yak, yak.”

The news pages still aren't too bad (they can have a pretty bad lean if you are looking for political news or anything non-economic/business), but the OPed pages are a cesspool and are constantly getting worse.

Yeah, the opinion side has always been shit. It can't even get worse. I'm just doubtful the news side will retain quality with Murdoch ownership.

Peggy Noonan (WSJ contributor) is a goddamn halfwit.

The Year Debates Mattered
The heart of the debate? Romney and the price of gas: "The proof of whether a strategy is working or not is what the price is that you're paying at the pump. If you're paying less than you paid a year or two ago, why, then, the strategy is working. But you're paying more. When the president took office, the price of gasoline here in Nassau County was about $1.86 a gallon. Now, it's $4 a gallon. The price of electricity is up. If the president's energy policies are working, you're going to see the cost of energy come down."

Mr Obama's reply seemed like a non sequitur: Gas prices were lower when he came in "because the economy was on the verge of collapse, because we were about to go through the worst recession since the Great Depression."

I don't understand why this woman gets paid to write for a major business/politics publication.
What the fuck?

Supply & demand is now a non sequitar in a discussion on prices? Yeah, conservatives are truly the economic geniuses. Go back to masturbating to pictures of the Pope, Peggy.

Seriously now . . . this is why the GOP should lose. They just do not apply facts, science, and logic to the problems at hand. Instead we get conspiracy theories, echo chamber, religion, and blind ideology.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah, she's a complete imbecile. As I watched the debate I immediately knew that's how Obama was going to reply to that because it was the truth, and it was common knowledge to anybody who read a fucking newspaper or knew anything about business and economics.

For nearly 8 years I defended Bush with regards to gas prices from left.

The past 4 I now defend Obama from the right regarding gas prices.

Fucking politics.

RDreamer

Incidentally...
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/p...p_exposes_several_libyans_working_with_the_us

I just keep getting more amazed about this. I really hope the complete GOP mishandling of the entire concept of investigation gets media attention. Probably need to make a thread.

Man, seriously, if we had any semblance of a decent media here this crap would leave Romney dead in the water and the GOP as a whole ridiculed and their jobs threatened. This is fucking ridiculous. Let the CIA do their investigation and do their fucking job, don't go around playing junior detective. And Romney needs to quit trying to play cheap political games with an incident that isn't even fucking figured out yet.

Seriously, this should end Romney. He says in a tape that he wants to try and play something up like he's Reagan and turn Obama into Carter. It comes up, and he plays it like a jackass, and it turns out he's dead wrong about things. This should end his campaign.

PPP said:
Obama had a small lead in our national tracking for the 3rd night in a row, and a good Romney night Tuesday is rolling off. Results shortly

Probably Obama +2

Edit: Bill Maher is in rare form on this panel tonight

Makes sense. He is that, I think. When a man can't control what comes out of his mouth you tend to be able to rely on his honesty.

That reminds me, time to feed the PD.

Bonus repost:

I read that long ago, truly a sad series of events; I don't see how anyone could not feel bad for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom