• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Confident on: California
Optimistic for: New York
Nervous about: everything else
Hopeful that: Obama gets some good news

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I wish everyone was so desperate for the truth back in 2003 when we really needed hard nosed reporting. I think that's one reason the Libyan attack issue doesn't resonante. The complaints are coming from people whose fuck up lead to thousands of deaths yet they were never questioned in a serious manner. In fact if you did you question it you would be branded unpatriotic.

How many embassy attacks occurred during the bush administration ? 12! most during a US president. I don't recall Democrats making it a political issue at least not to this extent.

pigeon

Banned
Why the discrepancy then? You'd think they'd both want them as accurate as possible.

The actual internals they strategize with probably are. Any campaign internal that gets to the press is the most optimistic one they had lying around. So we're seeing both ends of the scale.

Effect

Do campaign internals ever really end up being wrong in the end? They have to know if they're really win or losing an area or state. They wouldn't use them to delude themselves right? No one else ever really sees those numbers until maybe after the fact.

Tamanon

Banned
Do campaign internals ever really end up being wrong in the end? They have to know if they're really win or losing an area or state. They wouldn't use them to delude themselves right? No one else ever really sees those numbers until maybe after the fact.

It's possible sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes campaigns would poll in a certain way to ensure the staff works well.

pigeon

Banned

Well, people delude themselves all the time in a political campaign, because if they were honest about the possibility of defeat it would demoralize volunteers, donors, and candidates.

Politico just had a piece about superPACs scrambling to put together measurable accomplishments to show their hidden masters during the Obama victory speech so that they don't get sued fo failing to deliver. That's what reality looks like. That time is not being spent helping Romney.

Loudninja

Pro-Obama Super PAC Revives Bain Capital Attacks In Final Push To November
The super PAC Priorities USA announced Saturday that it’s re-airing one of the Bain TV ads from its summer blitz and preparing new spots focused on Romney’s time at the company to run in the coming days.

Viewers in the swing states of Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Ohio, Nevada, Virginia and Wisconsin will get to see “Stage” — a spot ABC News called “The Bain Ad That Romney Should Fear the Most” when it debuted in late June.
“Stage” has more than 2 million views on YouTube, and Priorities says the spot has left a lasting impression. “In our Ohio focus groups this week, we asked swing voters to name the television ads that stood out most to them, in all the welter of advertising they have seen,” Priorities chief Bill Burton wrote in a memo detailing the new Bain plans. “‘Stage’ is the ad that most frequently came to mind: participants were able to describe it in detail and recall the emotional impact it had on them, despite the fact that it had not run in that market for over six weeks.”
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/bain-capital-ads-priorities-usa.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just voted a straight democratic ticket for the first time in my life. I usually try to spread it around for balance. Sadly this year the right wing has no balance to offer. Just stupidity.

Tim-E

I'll more than likely be voting straight ticket except for House of Delegates, because I once overheard our democrat incumbent drunk ranting about Obama being a muslim and whatnot while at a restaurant. The way the party in this state has tried to distance itself from the national party has been frustrating, but they are much better options than their republican counterparts, so I'll be going democrat for those seats, as well.

By the way, here's what Charlie Cook says the campaigns are seeing in swing states

The numbers worse for Obama are from Romney's camp and the numbers better for Obama are from Obama's camp, obviously.

Funny that by Romney's polls they've still got Obama winning 284 electoral votes. And NC is ridiculously close either way but with a slight advantage for Mittens.

Also a huge gap in Iowa which I find interesting. Perhaps Obama is accounting for the early votes and Romney isn't? The gap's not as big in the other states.

Link?

pigeon

Banned
Why are campaign internal considered more accurate than the piblic polls we see?

They're done more often and they cost more, I'm pretty sure.

So the reversion in RAND is because of another shift in intention to vote. Really illustrates how important GOTV is for Dems once again.

Mike M

Nick N
Got my WA ballot yesterday, filled it out before I even got my coat off after walking in the door. I'd been willing to consider every candidate, but every GOP offering for every office was just rewording the same platform as the national level. Wound up with a straight ticket.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Got my WA ballot yesterday, filled it out before I even got my coat off after walking in the door. I'd been willing to consider every candidate, but every GOP offering for every office was just rewording the same platform as the national level. Wound up with a straight ticket.

It was actually a really well laid out, simple ballot this year. I had to read the gay marriage bill like 100 times to make sure I meant yes though. That wording was excruciating.

Downhome

Gary Johnson in Richmond, VA last week...

JdcBQ.jpg

I wonder if we'll ever be able to have a third party taken serious and actually win an election. I don't see it happening anytime soon though. It would be amazing if someone like that could get in, but then again what would likely happen is both the republicans and democrats would be bitching nonstop instead of just one of them.

EDIT:

My comments in no way endorses Gary Johnson, I'm just sayin'...

remist

Just voted a straight democratic ticket for the first time in my life. I usually try to spread it around for balance. Sadly this year the right wing has no balance to offer. Just stupidity.

Same thing here. I've been pushed pretty far left the last couple years and I was brought up by pretty hardcore baptist christians.

Mike M

Nick N
It was actually a really well laid out, simple ballot this year. I had to read the gay marriage bill like 100 times to make sure I meant yes though. That wording was excruciating.

Yeah, it was a bit tortured. I knew to vote "yes" and I still read it three times to be sure.

At least McKenna didn't get his way with the wording of the measure with his copypasta from anti-marriage equality talking points. Fuck that guy, seriously.

Tim-E

I wonder if we'll ever be able to have a third party taken serious and actually win an election. I don't see it happening anytime soon though. It would be amazing if someone like that could get in, but then again what would likely happen is both the republicans and democrats would be bitching nonstop instead of just one of them.

Our form of government simply doesn't lend itself well to electing third parties by being winner-take-all as opposed to a parliamentary/proportional representation system. For better or worse, most people are going to vote strategically for either of the two big parties because it's next to impossible for third parties to get a majority of the vote.

No amendments in NC's ballot. Though I am kind of confused by the way these judges are presented. There are 11 different ballots for NC Court of Appeals Judge, most with only one name but some with two. So I'm voting for eleven different judges?

Tim-E

Honestly, better that than tea party conservatism.

I'll take Republicans over Libertarians any day because their economic ideas scare the absolute shit out of me. One benefit to our winner-take-all system is that libertarians will never hold serious power.

Owzers

this voter suppression stuff is ridiculous, i hope everyone shows up on November 8th and shows these local governments that they won't be stopped from voting.

Cheebo

Banned
Wow, looks like the crowd is all young people.

The amount of young people getting roped into libertarianism honestly scares me.

It usually appeals to young people. They like to think they are unique and fighting the system and other such nonsense by supporting a third party candidate. They'll grow up eventually. To this day I am embarrassed for being a huge supporter of Nader in 2000.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man, romnesia is getting play everywhere. Just heard it twice on local radio stations. It's gold, Jerry!

RDreamer

Honestly, better that than tea party conservatism.

I suppose, but these kids were probably never going to go for that anyway. That ideology just doesn't fit with the millennial generation.

Young people are pretty liberal in some key ways, especially on social issues like gay marriage and also drug legalization, and they also want to stop the war machine. Alongside that, though, I feel like a lot of the young people I've met have benefitted a lot from liberal economic policies. In all respects they should be (and I suppose statistically are) liberals.

So I guess what's scary (though probably more sad than scary) to me is that they should be going one way, but seem to be completely and utterly discouraged by the situation in our country today. I can sympathize with them. They feel like neither candidate really represents them, and neither party really represents them, and for good reason. And things aren't going great for them as a whole. But then I feel like libertarianism is kind of the easy answer for the discouraged. This all sucks, so let's just throw it all out. Government sucks, let's throw it all out and elect a guy that'll do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom