• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

I thought he was up in VA?

I think all three states are competitive. I am just asking for the sake of argument if Obama could still realistically win the electoral college if Romney won all three. I think Virginia and Florida right now are leaning towards Romney and Ohio is leaning towards Obama. If Obama and Romney are at about 50-50 come election day there is a much higher chance for this being a state by state race.

Tim-E

I think all three states are competitive. I am just asking for the sake of argument if Obama could still realistically win the electoral college if Romney won all three. I think Virginia and Florida right now are leaning towards Romney and Ohio is leaning towards Obama. If Obama and Romney are at about 50-50 come election day there is a much higher chance for this being a state by state race.

The President is always elected state-by-state.

gkryhewy

Yeah. It's a bill that puts more information about their food before consumers. Naturally the agribusiness and food manufacturers are adamantly opposed.

I can honestly see both sides on this one. A lot of skepticism toward genetically modified foods strikes me as similar to the paranoia about vaccinating children. Information without understanding won't really advance anything.

On the other hand, transparency is never a bad thing.

Puddles

Banned
Which one is 30? This is my first time voting in CA, Pennsylvania was not this overwhelming.

I'm voting to ban the death penalty. Haven't really looked at the other ones yet except for the torrent of advertisement on 27.

30 is the revenue-raising bill.

If it doesn't pass, public sector pensions don't get cut. Prison spending doesn't get cut. Education gets cut to the tune of 6 billion U.S. dollars. The UC system gets a bone-crushing 20% tuition raise. Our priorities are so fucking fucked right now.

apana

The President is always elected state-by-state.

I know but if one of them has a "big" lead in the popular vote then he will probably see a bunch of states swing in his direction whereas if they are at 50-50 there is a much higher chance of states going in different directions.

Just requested by CA ballot. How do we feel about these propositions? There has been a ton of ads against the labeling of genetically modified foods, but I was under the impression that they weren't bad for you?

Theyre not bad for you....that we know of.

Thing is, the prop is just a label, theyre not banning it or anything. How is giving consumers more information a bad thing?

And then look at the funding list. Its obvious who you should vote for.

When in doubt, vote against the side with massive funding.

And please vote YES for anything that involves taxes.

Remember, theres a shit ton of people who would vote against a .0000001 tax to save a child from a lava pit because "derp herp taxes bad"

Even if youre iffy....realize youre actually weighing the issue, vs the ideologues.

Speaking of props, there are a lot of california voters on gaf, and the props can get pretty damn confusing.

Who wants to start the best proposition thread ever?

Jackson50

I can honestly see both sides on this one. A lot of skepticism toward genetically modified foods strikes me as similar to the paranoia about vaccinating children. Information without understanding won't really advance anything.

Right. The information would probably engender greater confusion without actually benefiting anyone. The provision seems unnecessary. If I resided in CA, I'd vote against it.
Nate Silver and Sam Wong on NPR yesterday

http://sciencefriday.com/segment/10/19/2012/making-sense-of-presidential-polls.html

Hopium! I didn't know Wong was even better than Silver in 2008
Interesting interviews. The media's reporting of polls is awful. It's nice to have a few sane voices out there.

ivysaur12

Banned
Tight lead in Ohio - 49-48 - but still walloping among early voters.

@ppppolls
Obama is up 66/34 with early voters in Ohio (21% of electorate) but down 52/44 with those yet to vote

This is what struck me as the biggest issue.

GhaleonEB

Just filled out about 2/3 of my ballot. I need to research some state and local measures, and the non-partisan local office candidates.

Voted straight Dem, again. I did not used to do so, but the GOP has offered me little alternative.

I can already tell which ballot measures are going to pass and which won't, and it's depressing. (No, we shouldn't eliminate the estate tax on "large estates". Yes, my dipshit town will vote for it.)

Our new Ohio poll finds Barack Obama leading Mitt Romney 49-48, down from 51-46 last week

Hmm. Not really buying a four-point swing in one week. The state polling there has been very stable for months. At the time of their poll, PPP stood out as being among the most kind to Obama, since most put the race 1-3 points ahead. Feels like regression to the mean here, especially with the early vote lead.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I really don't understand what's going on here. How is Romney closing all these gaps after the second debate? Is the first debate's effect still carrying over or something?

doom

I really don't understand what's going on here. How is Romney closing all these gaps after the second debate? Is the first debate's effect still carrying over or something?

I think what the first debate really did was legitimize romney in the mind of a lot of people. He finally seemed like he could be president. I think a lot of support Romney is picking up are people that didn't really feel comfortable with him but lean right. They now see Romney as a viable option.

GhaleonEB

Did anyone actually believe Obama was five points ahead in Ohio, when the consensus of polls has the race in the 1-3 point range during the same time period?

Haven't you people learned by now to evaluate polls against consensus? I realize the freakout has become routine by now, but good grief people.

obama-ohio-2.jpg

Right. The information would probably engender greater confusion without actually benefiting anyone. The provision seems unnecessary. If I resided in CA, I'd vote against it.Interesting interviews. The media's reporting of polls is awful. It's nice to have a few sane voices out there.

It benefits those who have made a decision for themselves not to consume GMOs and want to know what products to avoid. I don't see how it engenders confusion any more than nutritional content does.

I'm voting to ban the death penalty.

Awesome. I hope everybody does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom