• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
It's not complicated. 2/3rds of 21 is 14, Obama has a 7 point lead. Romney needs to make up that 7 point lead in the 79 percent remaining, that's a little less than 10 points assuming perfect turnout.

That's worth emphasizing. The more people out of that 79% that don't vote, assuming the distribution remains the same, the better Obama's chances become. According to this poll, Romney needs to get the entire Ohio electorate to come out, at the split they're indicating on this poll, in order to lose by only a little bit.

Wtf

Raise your hand if you understand that if Obama is up by a point in Ohio it still counts as a win.

*raises hand!*

You do know he was up 5 last week and not a massive swing for no reason this week?

I am so sick of the debate nonsense.
Or Obama was up 3 last week and is up 3 this week and ppp just polled around it due to normal circumstances.

As long as polls consistently show Obama with a lead don't sweat.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are there any running theories out there for why our presidential elections tend to be so close all the time? Isn't it a giant fucking statistical anomaly that a contest between two opposing parties -- who for all their similarities are still wildly different on a lot of key issues -- so often comes within one or two percentage points of a draw?

Is it just due to the large number of "undecided" low information voters who are easily swayed to one side or the other?

Slime

Banned
You do know he was up 5 last week and not a massive swing for no reason this week?

I am so sick of the debate nonsense.

Speaking generally, not just about Ohio.

Debate wasn't nonsense though. Might have just accomplished what was going to happen anyway faster, but either way the game changed almost immediately after.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Maybe this is a dumb question, but are there any running theories out there for why our presidential elections tend to be so close all the time? Isn't it a giant fucking statistical anomaly that a contest between two opposing parties -- who for all their similarities are still wildly different on a lot of key issues -- so often comes within one or two percentage points of a draw?

Is it just due to the large number of "undecided" low information voters who are easily swayed to one side or the other?

I've got no data but my speculation is that it's not real undecideds that are breaking for Romney but a combination of embarrassed conservative-leaning voters who finally found Romney to be palatable and disillusioned hardcore tea party types who probably still don't like Romney but are energized enough to get out and try to oust Bams.

apana

New Hampshire is leaning towards Romney I guess but aren't they very independent or something? They might give us a surprise on election day.

Also, Obama is now up 3 in the IBD/TIPP poll. He's also up 3 in the UCONN tracker poll.

He's up 3 in those 2 and up 3 in RAND. Also up 2 in PPP and was up 3 in Reuters/IPSOS (hasn't updated today)

I believe if he's really up 2-3 in the nation, he's up 2-3 in Ohio.

Wall

Wow, going to be tough for Obama to overcome that deficit. What? He is actually still leading by a point? Never mind then.

Seriously, the only poll in October to show Romney leadIng in Ohio was done just after the debate. It was a one point deficit. A later poll by that same pollster showed a tie; which was Obama's second worst poll in the state.

A poll taken in the same timeframe showed Obama up by two in Arizona. Does anyone think Republicans are seriously afraid they are going to lose that state?

PPP's polls have been very erratic this year anyway.

thekad

Banned
Also, Obama is now up 3 in the IBD/TIPP poll. He's also up 3 in the UCONN tracker poll.

He's up 3 in those 2 and up 3 in RAND. Also up 2 in PPP and was up 3 in Reuters/IPSOS (hasn't updated today)

I believe if he's really up 2-3 in the nation, he's up 2-3 in Ohio.

So basically, Romney is winning.

Bad news.

Loudninja

I am sorry I just dont get this random swings in PPP poll from one week ago.
Ohioans trust Romney more on the economy by a 51/47 margin and trust him more on Libya 49/47. Obama had the advantage on each of those issues in our poll last weekend
This makes zero sense.

I was meeting with a client today and he works on complex statistical stuff involving Bayesian predictions, Principle Component Analysis, Auto Regressions, etc.

So I asked him, do you read Nate Silver's stuff? "YES! He does very interesting work, I read 538 all the time." It was a nice endorsement for Nates methodology that this Ph.D entrepreneur was basically giving Nate the big thumbs up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
We really needed Nate on Real Time this week with that dumbass John Fund started saying Romney is going to win PA (PI for loudninja).

AniHawk

the ppp ohio poll is lower than i wanted it to be, but not super surprising. it was a tie last friday, and then went up for a +5 total on saturday. for obama to overcome a tie and then go for a huge +5 meant one of those days was an outlier. considering the national polls, and what the ppp poll released today, it was that saturday.

if the next ppp poll for ohio comes out next week, and it's tied or +1 romney, maybe then it's time for panic.

anyway, here's the breakdown of the ppp poll using 2008 numbers:

5.6m people
o: 776,160
r: 399,840

election day:
o: 1,946,460 | 2,722,620 | 48.61%
r: 2,300,480 | 2,700,320 | 48.22%

Effect

Trying my best to clock out at the moment. Going to be spending time this weekend and during the week to finish updating my resume. There are a few IT positions open at local hospitals in the area and going to be trying for them. Should be helpful in keeping my mind off of this. That and gaming as well.

Jackson50

I think people are seriously starting to make up their minds and an unexpected about of voters are breaking for Romney.

The IA poll from yesterday is pretty awful too, NH as well.
The reason it seems that way is that many of Obama's supporters have already voted. Look at people who've actually voted...who's breaking for whom?
What will exit polls look like on election night. Won't they dramatically overstate Romney's edge?
No. Exit pollsters poll early voters to account for them.
It benefits those who have made a decision for themselves not to consume GMOs and want to know what products to avoid. I don't see how it engenders confusion any more than nutritional content does.
True. Personally, I consider whether it serves the public interest to provide that information. And I don't think it does. If there were evidence GMOs were harmful, I'd support the measure. However, it provides information irrelevant to making a healthful choice. And if I had to guess, consumers are generally more knowledgeable about proper nutrition than the evidence on GMOs. So I can envisage ignorant consumers making uninformed decisions based off extraneous information.

I am so afraid of Romney winning. Seriously. No surprise that the only people I know that support Romney have warped views of what PPACA is, think that Candy broke the rules, think the health care industry should be decided by the free market, think Bush gets hated on too much, etc...

I mean it's cool if you have conservative values but is it any wonder why cities (cultural centers) are usually more liberal?

/rant

Diablos

I am sorry I just dont get this random swings in PPP poll from one week ago.
This makes zero sense.
With the election so close it could just mean people are finally starting to make up their minds and after warming up to Mitt, decided to choose him.

election day:
o: 1,946,460 | 2,722,620 | 48.61%
r: 2,300,480 | 2,700,320 | 48.22%
way too close for comfort.

I'm starting to feel like I did in 2010. Really uncertain but things seem to be breaking slightly for the GOP at this point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This shit isn't right.

Forget the Obamacare repeal that will kill thousands of people every year. Kevitivity does not deserve to be happy for a single moment of his life. Romney shouldn't win for that reason alone.

I like how we're at the point where we just want to fuck Kevitivity over.

I dont think its suprising that ohio would be trending towards romney given that the RR ticket have started to focus on pennsylvania. I bet they know the score

I think Obama's big problem is in the debates he really hasn't shown his vision for the next 4 years and it's making people apprehensive.

It might be too late now. He needed to hammer home in the 2nd debate his Jobs bill and Obamacare. He did well to show why Romney sucks but not enough to show why he's definitely better.

And people could very well start to think "maybe I should try something new."

Also, despite the Bush question, Obama should have made it a theme of the night that Romney is Bush and really pound on it. No mention that he has the same economic and foreign advisers at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom