• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
If this is an outlier, we'll find out over the next few days. No need to discredit it. Outliers exist, but we'll see.

When you're questioning the methodology of the polls, you're probably not winning.

So a net +3 with Republicans, net -1 with Democrats, and net +5 with independents is enough to swing his numbers around 12%?

So they're expecting Hispanics to make up 5% of the electorate?

So Romney just wiped out an 18% lead with women with one debate?

Their model is telling them that democrats are staying home and repubs won't. That explains the gains.

But the RV model swung by a lot, too. This indicates Romney supporters more likely to answer the phone than normal thanks to the debates.

Which is why I cautioned the immediate polling. We've already seen wild swings in Ras and Gallup as a result, both ways.

Claiming pew needs to be unskewed really

I'm not claiming it needs to be unskewed. I'm saying they missed a large segment of the population so it's hard to say how serious to take this poll.

Remember, 1 out of every 20 polls will be an outlier no matter what. Go look at my posts, I've been very consistent saying to wait for polls of this week.

Sealda

Banned
Debates means nothing. Now playing:polls means nothing. And launching this thursday night: its not about the vp anyway.

thefro

Apparently more people live in the South than in the West & Northeast combined

wFY53.jpg

pigeon

Banned
If this is an outlier, we'll find out over the next few days. No need to discredit it. Outliers exist, but we'll see.

When you're questioning the methodology of the polls, you're probably not winning.

This is it. It's not a great poll, but we already knew that every poll that includes Thursday and Friday was horrible for Obama, while the weekend looks significantly better. Neither this nor the dkos poll are wildly out of line with what we should expect. So let's see what happens.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
This is like the most atypical last few pages of PoliGAF. The usual suspects try to extrapolate from short-term effects to shout "TOLD YOU SO DOOMED" from their months-and-years-long even preconceived notions.

In other words, Diablos, PhoenixDark: stop the confirmation bias bullshit. You guys are being low-information voters.

jbug617

Banned
Romney's debate performance has rejuvenate the Republicans and Obama's flat performance has hurt him with Democrats and Independants.

I just want to see if Fox News will run these numbers since they spent a long time trying to discredit polls (even their own).

Claiming pew needs to be unskewed really

I hope you're referring to me so I can tell you how clearly I'm joking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily trying to discredit it, I just don't think (admittedly based largely on the evidence we've seen already from Gallup, Ras and PPP) that this poll is necessarily going to be representative of where the race currently stands.

This is it. It's not a great poll, but we already knew that every poll that includes Thursday and Friday was horrible for Obama, while the weekend looks significantly better. Neither this nor the dkos poll are wildly out of line with what we should expect. So let's see what happens.

I think we're starting to see a pattern here:

1. Diablos kneejerks
2. I and/or Black Mamba bring up something... odd
3. ??? (usually everyone tells Diablos to "wait for the rest of the polls jesus christ")
4. Backpats!

So a poll that has a large number of southern voters, no Hispanics, and taken during the 48 hour period where Romney flashed hot shows him ahead? No shit

I'd say Romney +4 is out of line for a 4 day polling period. If it was just thurs/fri, sure. But this is a massive swing and I can't imagine this is accurate.

I mean, we have 2 daily trackers showing gains back for Obama, 2 others showing no new gains. Then a couple other polls showing it much closer than +4.

+4 for Romney is a massive swing, statistically. And no one else is showing this swing, which makes this poll seem peculiar.

I'm not faulting the methodology. This could be a sampling error issue which isn't in Pew's control. This happens all the time.

So now that Obama is officially doomed, what does Romney's first day as president look like? Does he fire Big Bird first thing in the morning?

ivysaur12

Banned
You've gotta be kidding me.

This Pew poll is really horrible news. It erased all of Obama's lead on economic/tax issues, and made everything else damn near dead even.

One poll a trend does not make. If every other major polling firm over the week shows increasingly large gains for Romney versus the relatively small ones shown over the past few days, then yes, that's a trend. If not, then it's an outlier. We don't know at this point.

It's hilarious watching you guys spin party ID numbers, after laughing at conservatives for doing the same.

Obama might have lost the election last week. It's not that he lost the debate: it's that he legitimized Romney. Before, this seemed to be a race between a somewhat popular president and his unacceptable challenger. Now this is truly a choice race between two candidates people feel comfortable with to varying degrees.

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney is almost ahead in Silver's model by this time next week

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
only in America can someone write off half of the population and still be seen as a viable candidate for the presidency.

Mike M

Nick N
I tried the concern trolling the night of the debate, I just couldn't keep it up for more than the night.

Don't know how some of you do it.

reilo

Diablos and PhoenixDark made up their minds years ago that Obama wasn't going to get reelected -- and in PD's case, that he wasn't going to get elected period.

Ignore them. It's classical contrarian bullshittery that has been built up over a period of years. So any time a poll or event happens that reaffirms their years-long preconceived notions, then they double down on that like a drug addict.

The same bullshit will happen 4 years from now.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I think a lot of people will come to this conclusion, especially after the debate. Romney would have to govern moderately with dems in control of the senate, and many of the positions the tea party holds are toxic for presidents; I don't see him giving them what they want anymore than Bush would have.

Contrast that to Obama won't likely won't get anything accomplished if he's re-elected, as republicans simply obstruct until 2014. There may be more of a chance of getting stimulus under Romney

If you are banking on Democrats keeping the Senate with a Romney win, good luck. I think you are starting to believe your drivel.

Loudninja

It's hilarious watching you guys spin party ID numbers, after laughing at conservatives for doing the same.

Obama might have lost the election last week. It's not that he lost the debate: it's that he legitimized Romney. Before, this seemed to be a race between a somewhat popular president and his unacceptable challenger. Now this is truly a choice race between two candidates people feel comfortable with to varying degrees.

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney is almost ahead in Silver's model by this time next week
Like I said many times right now, this shtick is gotten beyond old now.

Diablos and PhoenixDark made up their minds years ago that Obama wasn't going to get reelected -- and in PD's case, that he wasn't going to get elected period.

Ignore them. It's classical contrarian bullshittery that has been built up over a period of years. So any time a poll or event happens that reaffirms their years-long preconceived notions, then they double down on that like a drug addict.

Yeah I think i goign to do that.

Diablos

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney is ahead in Silver's model by this time next week
Most importantly if the Pew poll is any indication of what's to come from other pollsters, Obama erased his lead on what this election is about - the economy and taxes.

Everything else, he's leading, but only by 3 or 4, which is a steep drop.

Like Cheebs pointed out it includes yesterday.

and like Black Mamba repeatedly pointed out, not only does it also include Thursday and Friday, which were significantly better days for Romney, but it's also directly contradicted by everyone else who's released a poll including post-debate numbers

not only that but Pew isn't a tracker so daily samples weren't necessarily equal

It's more hilarious how you extrapolated my joking post about that into all of PoliGAF joining in. I've made it!

Allard

Unless Hilary is in the race then no matter the bad news she will always win no matter what (for PD).

I have not mentioned party ID numbers once. FFS, only Ras really uses Party ID. Pew's methodology isn't at issue here. Sampling error happens all the time.

Every other poll today is saying the opposite of this one.

reilo

lmao

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I take it October is normally the crazy month for polls. I'm starting to wish I had followed this stuff more closely in previous elections, although I guess I have the excuse of this being the first time I'm voting.

reilo

Most importantly if the Pew poll is any indication of what's to come from other pollsters, Obama erased his lead on what this election is about - the economy and taxes.

Everything else, he's leading, but only by 3 or 4, which is a steep drop.

You are saying that women will start voting in support of Romney in even numbers based on the Pew Poll? ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOURSELF?

I take it October is normally the crazy month for polls. I'm starting to wish I had followed this stuff more closely in previous elections, although I guess I have the excuse of this being the first time I'm voting.

Even Pew's normally crazy around this time, unless everyone somehow forgot how they were finding Obama +14 and +15 two weeks before election day in 2008 before their voter enthusiasm models finally settled down.

Hey what was the last PPP poll for MN?

Obama by 7, 51-44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom