• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

I take it October is normally the crazy month for polls. I'm starting to wish I had followed this stuff more closely in previous elections, although I guess I have the excuse of this being the first time I'm voting.
I'm not sure October is any more volatile than normal. It might seem more volatile recently because the focus has been on minor shifts in the polls. So they seem volatile because we're focused, ignoring a few outliers, on minor variations. For all we know, we might be obsessing over noise.
Debates means nothing. Now playing:polls means nothing. And launching this thursday night: its not about the vp anyway.
You're correct about the first and last point. Although I'd prefer Biden's victory to shift public opinion, it will likely prove inconsequential. The second, however, is an erroneous characterization. I only miss the tired reference to The Hive.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
uh, you are the one who said Obama 55-45. It has to be below that. Okay, if it's exactly 55-45, you win too. I don't want you claiming victory at 55.9-44.1 That's all.

Bro, he's got 6 different avatar bets going on. He's playing you.

uh, you are the one who said Obama 55-45. It has to be below that. Okay, if it's exactly 55-45, you win too. I don't want you claiming victory at 55.9-44.1 That's all.

Relio is right, I have too many bets. I don't want to ruin your avatar with basketball season/Lakers implosion on the horizon.

besides I still have to wear this avatar due to a bet

eBay Huckster - "Try to look at the big picture."
Black Mamba - "These numbers don't correlate with established trends. There's no sense in the 37% to 56% jump!"

HylianTom

Banned
I'd love some swing state polling right about now. Seeing where the numbers are in Ohio, for instance, at Romney's "peak" would have been interesting.

Amazing how Thursday/Friday polls are looking so dramatically different from Saturday/Sunday polls.

HylianTom

Banned
Political drama is some of the very best. While this season hasn't been as rich as 2008, it's been good in its own weird, sometimes sad ways.

That said.. I still have ice in my veins.

edit:
original.jpg

Mitch Romney takes a moment on the trail to flatulate on a small schoolgirl.

gcubed

Romney talking about more intervention in the ME... more wars is a winning strategy. I expect this being the ground work for his foreign policy debate where he spends 2 hours arguing how he didn't really say that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Romney talking about more intervention in the ME... more wars is a winning strategy. I expect this being the ground work for his foreign policy debate where he spends 2 hours arguing how he didn't really say that.

Yeah, it's really ludicrous. I'm stunned he took that stance today when it's so unpopular.

pretty hilarious how RCP is using Gallup's tied article as it's Gallup poll, not the +5 one which went up for Obama today. lol

edit: more war and more tax cut. Gives Obama a bigger talking point regarding the Bush policies. Why doesn't Obama even mention Bush? I would say Romney is proposing war and tax cuts just like Bush did. 2 things that killed our deficit and economy (as a talking point).

Allard

Well he has to explain somehow how he wants to expand military by 2 trillion dollars!

pretty hilarious how RCP is using Gallup's tied article as it's Gallup poll, not the +5 one which went up for Obama today. lol

They are good at that. Took months of good polls for them to switch Ohio to Lean Obama but took it away after one not so good poll. Also didn't add Nevada to Lean Obama (despite crossing the +5% average) because it would have put Obama over 270.

SmokeMaxX

Yeah, I think I am going to do the intrade thing, but funds will take forever to clear. I would love to pick up some Obama stock at around 6.00/share!

If you PM the guy on the forums (under General Discussion), you can get your funds cleared within the same day. You can PM me for how much he charges for his services (I don't want to publicly display private information). I gave him $500 blindly and got back what I was supposed to get back into my account as fast as possible. Actually I think "he" might be a "she" but I'm not quite sure.

You're never going to get Obama at $6 a share though. It hasn't been that low in since September 11th. I doubt it's going to drop that low again. There's just not that much time left in the election cycle. Voting has already started in a lot of places and the Election is in less than a month. If it drops to $6.40 or below I'd definitely jump on it. Knowing my luck though, I'll jump on $6.40/share and then Obama repeats another terrible debate performance. Anyway, I'm not worried about Obama losing- he has roughly an 80-90% shot at winning. He could probably lose all three debates and still win fairly comfortably.

coldfoot

Banned
edit: more war and more tax cut. Gives Obama a bigger talking point regarding the Bush policies. Why doesn't Obama even mention Bush? I would say Romney is proposing war and tax cuts just like Bush did. 2 things that killed our deficit and economy (as a talking point).
Agree, looks like the perfect opportunity to equate Mitt to Bush, who is hated by most Americans.

Wouldn't you be claiming victory at that point?

Edit: Doesn't matter, looks like PD bailed on the bet.

Loudninja

Yep,I an not sure how he though this is a good idea.

gcubed

Yep,I an not sure how he though this is a good idea.

Gives Obama data that he will prepare for that he will walk back at the debate.

"I didn't say more wars!"
"You did. Right here."
"Well that's your interpretation, I can get someone else who doesn't share your opinion."
"Wtf?"

Measley

I love the pivot here.

"It's all about the economy! If the economy sucks, Obama winning the debates won't matter one bit!"

*economy improves*

"It's all about the debates! Nobody cares about unemployment dropping to the lowest level in 4 years!"

Heh, You noticed that too?

The media is fucking that chicken until the very end of this election cycle.

Oh, and Mitt's stepped in it again;

FACT CHECK: Romney's one-sided story on trade, defense
http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-one-sided-story-trade-defense-190815851--election.html

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I love the pivot here.

"It's all about the economy! If the economy sucks, Obama winning the debates won't matter one bit!"

*economy improves*

"It's all about the debates! Nobody cares about unemployment dropping to the lowest level in 4 years!"

lol, I didn't even realize. PD was a big proponent of the debates don't matter, all that matters is the economy stupid.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Heh, You noticed that too?

The media is fucking that chicken until the very end of this election cycle.

Oh, and Mitt's stepped in it again;

FACT CHECK: Romney's one-sided story on trade, defense
http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-one-sided-story-trade-defense-190815851--election.html

Now i see why everyone who ran against Romney hated his guts. That man is just so full of shit lol. It's really unbelievable, I mean the balls. I really have no idea what he would do if he actually won. That my friends is a fucking scary thing :/

giga

Is there any chance Bama ordering some sort of intervention in the m.e if the polls would hit alarmingy low lvls?
Bama should stay on top for the foreseeable future. I don't see anyone on their schedule giving them trouble apart from LSU. Oregon has a tougher schedule ahead.

Would Diablos and PD acknowledge something for me? That there is a very high correlation of Democratic Senators winning their states with Obama also winning that state. Currently this is the breakdown of swing state Senators by 538:

State - Senator (Party) - Positive Polling Average

Florida - Nelson (D) - 7.4
Nevada - Heller (R) - 2.6
Ohio - Brown (D) - 7.1
Virginia - Kaine (D) - 2.6
Wisconsin - Baldwin (D) - 2.8

How many people do you think will split their tickets? PD is always talking about Romney winning and having a Republican Congress and Senate. But if Democratic Senatorial candidates are in the lead, then it's also likely that Obama will pick up similar voters. PD, do you honestly think that Romney will win the Presidency and the Republicans won't win the Senate? And conversely, do you honestly believe that Democrats holding the Senate while Obama loses?

My main point is that if the Democrats keep the Senate as the polling shows, then it is more probably that Obama will win. Both are more likely to occur than just one or the other.

Popping back in for a mo' to post some preliminary Minnesota results.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/10/minnesota-marriage-amendment-narrowly-trails.html

-PPP's newest poll on Minnesota's amendment to ban gay marriage finds it running slightly behind, with 46% of voters planning to support it and 49% opposed. That represents a 4 point shift compared to a month ago when it led for passage 48-47.

[...]

Things are starting to get interesting with Minnesota's voter ID amendment. When we polled on it in June it was leading for passage by a 58/34 margin. By September that had tightened to a 56/39 advantage. And now it's leading only 51/43. Democrats are now even more opposed to the voter ID amendment (23/71) than they are to the one on marriage. And although independents continue to support it their 52/41 favor for it is down a good deal from 62/33 a month ago. This fight may end up a lot closer than people initially expected.

Democrats have a 52/40 advantage on the generic legislative ballot, including a 48/34 lead with independents. It's always hard to say exactly what a generic ballot translates to in terms of seats gained, but that should lead to a pretty healthy number of pick ups for the Democrats.

RDreamer

Would Diablos and PD acknowledge something for me? That there is a very high correlation of Democratic Senators winning their states with Obama also winning that state. Currently this is the breakdown of swing state Senators by 538:

State - Senator (Party) - Positive Polling Average

Florida - Nelson (D) - 7.4
Nevada - Heller (R) - 2.6
Ohio - Brown (D) - 7.1
Virginia - Kaine (D) - 2.6
Wisconsin - Baldwin (D) - 2.8

How many people do you think will split their tickets? PD is always talking about Romney winning and having a Republican Congress and Senate. But if Democratic Senatorial candidates are in the lead, then it's also likely that Obama will pick up similar voters. PD, do you honestly think that Romney will win the Presidency and the Republicans won't win the Senate? And conversely, do you honestly believe that Democrats holding the Senate while Obama loses?

My main point is that if the Democrats keep the Senate as the polling shows, then it is more probably that Obama will win. Both are more likely to occur than just one or the other.

Yeah, I've been trying to make this point for a while now using Baldwin as the example. Along with that, I think this shows that his support should be easy to win back. There aren't going to be a metric ton of split Baldwin/Romney tickets, I can tell you that. Baldwin's pretty liberal and is being painted as an extreme liberal here. If she wins, Obama wins. There's really no question in my mind about that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Detroit Free Press is now reporting that Obama's 10-point lead in Michigan is now down to 3 points after the debate.

Edit: Here's the big thing:

Undecided voters shrank from the September survey’s 16% to just 7%.

RDreamer

On the bright side, maybe this scare means democrats will be more motivated to get the hell out and vote.

Edit: HAH! They're finally running a Thompson commercial with the "Who better than me to do away with medicaid and medicare" line.

Dude's done.

Though with that I think Baldwin could actually win with a Romney victory despite what I just said out there... if they push this hard enough anyway.

Plinko

On the bright side, maybe this scare means democrats will be more motivated to get the hell out and vote.

It better wake Obama up to actually go on the offensive at the debates.

Seriously, I have no clue what was going on or why they decided to go that route at the first debate. It makes absolutely zero sense.

RDreamer

It better wake Obama up to actually go on the offensive at the debates.

Seriously, I have no clue what was going on or why they decided to go that route at the first debate. It makes absolutely zero sense.

The one article I read said that Obama was just incredibly back and forth with practice debates. They said he was like his campaign self once and then the next day was like he was for the real debate.

Problem isn't really a concentrated decision, really. The problem for incumbents is that they have to run a country at the same time as campaigning, and so practice gets pushed aside. Hopefully this is the bug in his butt to go harder and better next time, though.

The one article I read said that Obama was just incredibly back and forth with practice debates. They said he was like his campaign self once and then the next day was like he was for the real debate.

Problem isn't really a concentrated decision, really. The problem for incumbents is that they have to run a country at the same time as campaigning, and so practice gets pushed aside. Hopefully this is the bug in his butt to go harder and better next time, though.

Michelle could say to Obama no sex for u till he gets his shit together.But alas we all know from PDs insight tht she doesnt even love him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom