• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone here direct me to a good resource detailing why America's relationship with Israel is such a major political issue to so many people?

Because evangelicals vote a LOT, and they believe that Israel is where Jesus is going to come back. Yes, really.

On top of that, conservatives and moderates who dislike Arabs see Israel as the good guy defending Americas interests in the middle east against the Muslim threat. This is mostly a post 9/11 attitude though.

codhand

uu3sc.png

pwh1oirwj.gif

This article brings back memories. (written in 2007 about Obama's Pakistan comments)

My position on this when it went down was that Obama's position wasn't that radical or anything, but everyone else was just trying to score points because he said it first, I still think that was basically correct. In the end it's more of an example of political cowardice than bad FP thinking.

Romney still deserves to get hammered over it though, you said something dumb, now you get to figure out how to get out of it.

I really hope this comes out at the debate, I think it's a moment that's escaped a lot of peoples recollections, and a sharp reminder could provide a powerful rebuke to Romney.

Can anyone here direct me to a good resource detailing why America's relationship with Israel is such a major political issue to so many people?

It's kind of similar to Cuba, where a really vocal minority can arrest a huge portion of the debate. The dynamics are a bit different than Cuba though, because each party has a constituency that's very vocal, very loyal and very pro Israel. For the Dems it's Jewish vote, who go about 70-80% democratic, are extremely progressive on social/financial issues, but can be hawkish on Israel (though, I'll note, it's not really monolithic, my Jewish peers here in liberal brooklyn are all over the map, but I think the older and more influential set is more hawkish.)

The republicans have the Evangelicals and Neo Cons, one who sees the existence of the Israeli state as a religious prophecy, and the other who just kind of likes having someone in the middle east pissing off Muslims.

The end result is that we have a policy there that both parties end up supporting fairly strongly. I think the influence of AIPAC (the largest Israel lobby) can be overstated, and the US and Israel do share some overlapping policy goals, and a large number of citizens with dual citizenship,but it's an issue that takes undue prescience in electoral politics.

Tim-E

When I was an undergrad in 08 I worked with one of those companies that was contracted by polling organizations to do live surveys. Fun stuff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm trying to decide on what channel I want to watch election night coverage on. I'll probably hop around, CNN for the holograms, MSNBC for the backpats, and Fox for the tears.

It makes me so happy knowing that's his Twitter avatar.

What about NBC for William's awkward flirting? I swear to god the guy thinks election night is speed dating.

PoliGAF, today I am proud to introduce the DAX™ national tracking poll.

DAX is a manual tracking poll that uses the most accurate eyeball estimates to measure the most important factors of NeoGAF’s PoliGAF |OT| thread. These factors are then thrown into the most sophisticated mental processes, giving way to the most accurate throwaway numbers and determining the state of the presidential race.

DAX disregards sarcastic and troll posts (unless otherwise noted).

How to Read DAX

1. Diablos and Cartoon Soldier Anxiety Level – The higher it is, the more likely the poll will lean towards Romney (and vice versa).
2. Aaron Strife Optimism Level – The higher it is, the more likely the poll will lean towards Obama (and vice versa).
3. PhoenixDark Troll Level – The higher it is, the more likely the poll will lean towards Obama (and vice versa).
4. Ratio of panic posts to calm posts – The most important factor. Measures the overall mood of PoliGAF. The more calm posts there are in comparison to panic posts, the more likely the poll will lean towards Obama (and vice versa).

Today’s Poll (Oct. 19 - 21)

Diablos and Cartoon Soldier Anxiety Level: 68%
Aaron Strife Optimism Level: 72%
PhoenixDark Troll Level: 30%
Ratio of panic posts to calm posts: 35/65

Results: Obama 49 - 48 Romney

**Special Note: The DAX poll disregards posts in reaction to its own poll.

Aylinato

Obama wins election!

Media: "Looks like bad news for the Obama camp as he wins Ohio by a slim margin."

Media: "Obama may lose election after winning Ohio and Pennsylvania. Bad news for Obama."

You know what sickens me the most about all these polls, and all the numbers coming out. That out of all the polls, they have to weigh every single poll for the best case scenario for Romney in every single case so far. Heck, the media went so far to give Romney best case scenario on his budget proposal while not ripping the entire "plan," if that's what we want to call it, to shreds. No one should be surprised over how CNN has acted within the last two weeks, and you guys need to calm the fuck down.

I was forced to listen to Fox news the other night, and my god they were spinning every single issue so hard that I felt like I was playing Modern Warfare when the helicopter starts spinning out of control. I also had(not my radio, was at someone's house) to listen to Rush Limbaugh the other day and it made my mind sick from hearing so much sewage coming out of his mouth that I had to tune it out.

One note on the internal Obama polls that came out a few days. I know that the campaign weighs those in worst case scenario for Obama, and we had been doing that since the summer, as to why the Obama campaign kept saying that indeed we could lose. However I refuse to let that stop me from continuing working on the ground for Obama, and will be knocking on 300 doors this weekend in his re-election effort.

Tim-E

One note on the internal Obama polls that came out a few days. I know that the campaign weighs those in worst case scenario for Obama, and we had been doing that since the summer, as to why the Obama campaign kept saying that indeed we could lose. However I refuse to let that stop me from continuing working on the ground for Obama, and will be knocking on 300 doors this weekend in his re-election effort.

My man. I got some e-mails asking if I could come out to Ohio and do some work, but with grad school and a baby I don't think I'd be able to, so my money will have to do.

Aylinato

My man. I got some e-mails asking if I could come out to Ohio and do some work, but with grad school and a baby I don't think I'd be able to, so my money will have to do.

I'm jealous, I had applied to be a field organized in Ohio but never even got a call back =(

Then again, they asked all the fellows from Michigan, and I'm assuming all the fellows from around Ohio to apply as well.

I'll settle for what I am right now(wish I could be an organizer, would have been amazing to work for OFA)

Cloudy

Banned
Anytime there is a close OH poll, it's a Politico headline. I go over there now and see a battleground poll with Mitt leading and no mention of the Qunnipiac poll

Hey guys, this late in the election, you gotta do a real national poll or state by state!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I gotta admit; if a Romney sex scandal with a maid came out and had some evidence I'd laugh pretty damn hard.

I'd be legitimately shocked if there was one, the guy seems way too whitebread to have an affair or try and Hermain Cain type shenanigans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am pretty sure it will, of course whether it has any evidence behind it we don't know but the blogs have been lit up for 2 days about it.

Really? I haven't been following along very closely, when is this supposed to hit? I feel like if they're gonna hit him this close to the election there must be something there, it would be a massive backfire if there wasn't.

Tim-E

Really? I haven't been following along very closely, when is this supposed to hit? I feel like if they're gonna hit him this close to the election there must be something there, it would be a massive backfire if there wasn't.

It's not coming from the Obama camp, so I doubt they're would be any backfire. It doesn't really matter if Gloria Allred faces any backlash.

Cloudy

Banned
I do not want Allred injecting herself into this. Why can't the crazies wait till the 7th? If Obama can't win with facts and his record, the country deserves Romney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom