• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasRaven

Apropos of nothing, but on the 2nd live Hardball just now, Matthews just totally schooled a Romney supporter from Lynn University.
The young man said he supported Romney because "he doesn't cover up foreign policy failures." Here's the convo that followed (from my best memory):

Matthews: "What's the controversy, nail Obama right here."
Student: "Bengazi."
Matthews: "Call it out, what's the issue?"
Student: "Well, he said it was about a video."
Matthews: "It was about a video, read a newspaper." (referring to Schmitt's NYT article today on the CIA talking points)
Student: "..." <looks crushed>
Matthews: <throws to commercial>

Just an epic dismantling of a talking point live on TV while the student was surrounded by other Romney supporters.

watershed

Banned
Apropos of nothing, but on the 2nd live Hardball, Matthews just totally schooled a Romney supporter from Lynn University. The young man said he supported Romney because "he doesn't cover up foreign policy failures." Here's the convo that followed (to my best memory):

Matthews: "It was about a video, read a newspaper." (referring to Schmitt's NYT article today on the CIA talking points)

Just an epic dismantling of a talking point live on TV while surrounded by other Romney supporters.

Would love a link.

Apropos of nothing, but on the 2nd live Hardball, Matthews just totally schooled a Romney supporter from Lynn University. The young man said he supported Romney because "he doesn't cover up foreign policy failures." Here's the convo that followed (to my best memory):

Just an epic dismantling of a talking point live on TV while surrounded by other Romney supporters.

Lol I saw that. Sadly that's what I see here in the South everyday. Plenty of people are willing to just take a side and believe whatever they hear.

RDreamer

jeremy bird of OFA says that the AA vote in NC is up 52% compared to 08 while the youth vote is up .2%.

Bad news for Obama.

African Americans are voting him out for his endorsement of gay marriage, and the youth are voting for Romney because the Obama economy has been keeping them down.

Apropos of nothing, but on the 2nd live Hardball just now, Matthews just totally schooled a Romney supporter from Lynn University.
The young man said he supported Romney because "he doesn't cover up foreign policy failures." Here's the convo that followed (from my best memory):

Just an epic dismantling of a talking point live on TV while the student was surrounded by other Romney supporters.
Yeah I saw this, it was pretty hilarious.

Why are they all doing this national poll crap? You want headlines, do an Ohio poll.

What they want is a horserace showing a close race that keeps people reading the news. National polls provide that story well so they run with it. They are also simple for people to understand.

Electoral vote counting is the domain of nerds like PoliGAF. It is a relatively small market.

pigeon

Banned
I had an interesting conversation with my (extremely left-wing truther) dad about Cayetano and the Hawaiian rail plan. Basically his take on it is that the companies building it are somewhat crooked and they recently got slapped down by a federal court for intentionally doing their environmental impact study in three stages, starting with the cane fields and ending with the downtown areas that are certain to uncover more Native Hawaiian archaeological sites -- so that by the time they uncover the kapu areas, the rail is already built in the cane fields and it'll be a huge waste of money to change anything. It's also elevated and all-metal, which, as a former kama'aina, I agree is very likely to produce a horribly rusted, creaky, dangerous system in just a few years. He did mention the fact that it wouldn't pay for itself, which I of course responded to by noting that highways don't pay for themselves either and nobody expects them to, but overall I felt like he gave a pretty good explanation of why Cayetano is aggressively against it, and he's a pretty trustworthy guy I think.

I'm out at dinner with family tonight so if Romney does anything incredibly dumb in the debate somebody PM me. That way I can just glance at my phone and know immediately that the Axis of Evil has claimed another victim.

I stopped reading Andrew Sullivan. Is he still hyperventilating?

Oh God even MORE than before.

Was at a hispanic joint, eating food.

Univision was on TV.

Evening news was all about the election.

One story was on how the hispanic vote could be the tie breaker in swing states like florida and north carolina (note the difference between them and white people media when it comes to swing states)

Then they had a segment on early voting, how it started in many states and how it was very important for hispanic families that couldnt take time from work on a tuesday to vote.

----

Also, $1 that Romney says "soviet" tonight, probably during a cuba segment.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I had an interesting conversation with my (extremely left-wing truther) dad about Cayetano and the Hawaiian rail plan. Basically his take on it is that the companies building it are somewhat crooked and they recently got slapped down by a federal court for intentionally doing their environmental impact study in three stages, starting with the cane fields and ending with the downtown areas that are certain to uncover more Native Hawaiian archaeological sites -- so that by the time they uncover the kapu areas, the rail is already built in the cane fields and it'll be a huge waste of money to change anything. It's also elevated and all-metal, which, as a former kama'aina, I agree is very likely to produce a horribly rusted, creaky, dangerous system in just a few years. He did mention the fact that it wouldn't pay for itself, which I of course responded to by noting that highways don't pay for themselves either and nobody expects them to, but overall I felt like he gave a pretty good explanation of why Cayetano is aggressively against it, and he's a pretty trustworthy guy I think.

I'm out at dinner with family tonight so if Romney does anything incredibly dumb in the debate somebody PM me. That way I can just glance at my phone and know immediately that the Axis of Evil has claimed another victim.

pffft...no. access mobile GAF brah.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I've become hooked on browsing the politically related top trends on Twitter. You get gems like these:

lPFEA.png

Forever

Banned
I stopped reading Andrew Sullivan. Is he still hyperventilating?

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/10/five-lies-in-30-seconds.html

But it's working. There seems increasingly little doubt to me that Romney has the momentum now, and that October 3 was indeed the moment this election completely re-shaped itself. None of the proposals domestically add up (which means much more Republican-driven debt); we will be soon engaged in a protracted war against Iran, regardless of the views of the American public (more debt, untold damage to the global economy, a wave of renewed Jihadism to be met with more bombs and restored torture); millions will soon lose the only decent chance they had for health insurance, and those of us with pre-existing conditions will remain vulnerable to bankrupting ourselves if we ever lose private insurance for a period; but we sure will have more battleships for the long hoped-for neocon Cold War with China. And billionaires sure won't pay more to help out.
Obama is now fighting for his political life. And right now, to my genuine horror, he's losing to a fraud, a war-monger, a liar and a budget-buster.
Has anyone seen Sullivan and Diablos in the same place at the same time?

Well, this is why I want you to link some other stories. I mean, this is from the one you linked:

So my response to this story, which says that I am correct, is that it's correct, and that the administration did not have solid information as to the fact that it was a planned terrorist attack rather than a reaction to the video. The lede of the story, which makes claims contradictory to the body of the story, should be disregarded as unsupported.

Except in the part you quoted it says "The only thing for sure was that the Americans in the consulate were facing a concerted terrorist assault," which precludes the possibility of a spontaneous mob that happened to get violent. I just don't see how the administration, or the CIA for that matter, goes from that to thinking it was a mob over the video.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Jesus, Chuck todd was on Hardball basically saying Obama could win a 275 electoral vicory without Ohio or a Romney landslide. W...T.....F

EDIt:

OOPS, this was from last week sorry Diablos

RDreamer

Except in the part you quoted it says "The only thing for sure was that the Americans in the consulate were facing a concerted terrorist assault," which precludes the possibility of a spontaneous mob that happened to get violent. I just don't see how the administration, or the CIA for that matter, goes from that to thinking it was a mob over the video.

Not necessarily.

From the news stories that have been coming out it seems like the crowd was a sort of mish mash of people. It was a violent flash mob that had a lot of different intentions. There were local extremist militants that apparently saw the protests in Cairo and decided to get violent, and they were, I suppose the actual cause of the attack, but there were others there too, some probably wanting to protest and others probably wanting to get in on the violence.

pigeon

Banned
Except in the part you quoted it says "The only thing for sure was that the Americans in the consulate were facing a concerted terrorist assault," which precludes the possibility of a spontaneous mob that happened to get violent.

Why? In case you forgot, Libya is filled with armed militias and leftover assault weapons from a recent civil war. It's dangerous to leap to conclusions based on level of firepower in a country where you could probably organize a "concerted terrorist assault" within a day.

pffft...no. access mobile GAF brah.

It's dinner with family! I can't get on GAF! This isn't Dating-AGE and I'm not a 22-year-old virgin.

pigeon, I'll PM you CS's and Diablos' anxiety levels if they're too high – just in case an ambulance needs to be called.

I appreciate that, although I should probably clean out my PM box in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom