• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

I don't have confidence, and I'm preparing for a loss, but I have so much hope that he eviscerates Ryan. There's so much material to work with there, and it seems like Biden has the absolute correct personality to do it.

If he loses this thing decidedly to Joe Biden does anyone else think his political ambitions toward the white house are over after this run? I certainly hope and think so. That's still a big "if," though.
This will be Ryan's first national debate and Biden has been at this for 30 years. Rational observers will take that into account. If he ends up running in the future he will have numerous primary debates to erase the memory of this one. Of course a Bentsen/Quayle "You're no Jack Kennedy" moment would be damaging to Ryan, but those sorts of theatrical moments are rare.

I think the bigger thing to keep in mind on this topic is that Ryan will be bending to the center as far as he can, which of course is off message from the political career he has crafted thus far. To the extent that he looks like a moderate he will help Romney in the general election but he will hurt his own chances at winning a Republican presidential primary in the future. I full expect that team Obama has crafted a debate strategy with this in mind. The will want to distract Ryan with concerns for his political future all night.

gcubed

I don't have confidence, and I'm preparing for a loss, but I have so much hope that he eviscerates Ryan. There's so much material to work with there, and it seems like Biden has the absolute correct personality to do it.

If he loses this thing decidedly to Joe Biden does anyone else think his political ambitions toward the white house are over after this run? I certainly hope and think so. That's still a big "if," though.

i dont think the debate will matter in that. I think that if he is part of a failed ticket, and some of the reasons why the ticket failed was because of his past policies, his white house ambitions are over

HylianTom

Banned
Good mornin', PoliFolks! Such a beautiful day!

You're welcome America.

I'm just mad I'm going to miss Morning Joe this morning. Should be glorious watching Scarborough eat crow all morning long.
I told my best friend in Cleveland that I'd root for the Browns as my fave AFC team if they deliver Ohio for Obama, including me visiting her and going to a game each year (meanwhile, she visits me and we go to a Saints game). She's working on it, and sounds pretty damn confident.

Ohio is becoming the electoral darling of Dems everywhere, hehe..

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This debate is weird. Because of the Romney win last time, way more importance is being given to this - and focus is going to be put on style, and this time they are looking for Biden's style to attack the already apparent lack of substance in the Ryan plan. It's embarassing that the media will set it up this way, but that's what's happening.

Secondly Biden doesn't have to go easy on Ryan, as he was forced to with Palin. This could go one of two ways - full retard or Rocky IV. For either person.

Thirdly, polling shows that Biden is actually the underdog in this debate, although lord knows why, but Ryan is expected to do better here.

Fourthly, and I have been banging this drum for a while, Ryan's voice is literally aggravatiing. Hearing him talk policy wonkinshness in that voice for that long will not do him any favors.

So I think it's going to come down to gaffes or implosions. Either way it is one of the most artificially important VP debates ever, second only to the Palin one.

RDreamer

If Biden does well it'll make the dem base happy and stop their whining, which is all I ask for.

It could also help in Wisconsin. In that I don't mean it'd gain polling points, just that if Ryan wins that might gain Romney a few polling points.

This debate is weird. Because of the Romney win last time, way more importance is being given to this - and focus is going to be put on style, and this time they are looking for Biden's style to attack the already apparent lack of substance in the Ryan plan. It's embarassing that the media will set it up this way, but that's what's happening.

Secondly Biden doesn't have to go easy on Ryan, as he was forced to with Palin. This could go one of two ways - full retard or Rocky IV. For either person.

Thirdly, polling shows that Biden is actually the underdog in this debate, although lord knows why, but Ryan is expected to do better here.

Fourthly, and I have been banging this drum for a while, Ryan's voice is literally aggravatiing. Hearing him talk policy wonkinshness in that voice for that long will not do him any favors.

So I think it's going to come down to gaffes or implosions. Either way it is one of the most artificially important VP debates ever, second only to the Palin one.

It could come off as a father scolding his son for 90 minutes.

codhand

Sounds similar to people saying Biden would come off as sexist to Palin.

What poll is Drudge using for their headline?
animal20sci.gif

RDreamer

Good. Ryan's an immature twat that never grew up. He deserves to be "son'd" more than anyone else in politics. Whenever anyone at all asks him about the details of his plan he already asks like a whiny little twit and tries to slide out of it exactly like any crafty toddler might.

Vyroxis

Banned
Yes. That doesn't make organization impossible, though, just a lot more difficult.

Ah ok. Well, best luck to them. But after dealing with failed union drives for two years straight where I work and all the ugly crap that went down with it this year, my attitude towards unions has soured to the point where I hope they fail.

Dude Abides

Banned
Ah ok. Well, best luck to them. But after dealing with failed union drives for two years straight where I work and all the ugly crap that went down with it this year, my attitude towards unions has soured to the point where I hope they fail.

Yeah, the lengths employers will go to in order to deny their employees representation can be pretty disgusting.

WaltJay

Romney would give uninsured a ‘choice’
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/11/romney-would-give-people-with-pre-existing-conditions-a-choice/?wprss=rss_politics

Romney’s comments suggest he would create a window during which all Americans would be able to get some form of health insurance, regardless of pre-existing conditions.

However, in the same interview, Romney again suggested that the uninsured will get care — “it’s paid for, either by charity, the government or by the hospital.”

Another idea from the fantasy world, as this would never happen. Insurance companies aren't going to take pre-existing condition people unless they get lower risk (ex: young people) people to offset the risks/costs. No relatively healthy uninsured person (or someone that cannot afford it) is going to voluntarily sign up for insurance without a mandate, especially, as he mentions, they can get care anyway.

The only way this happens is if everyone's insurance rates go up to offset the flood of high-risk, uninsured, pre-existing condition people. Great idea!

Trakdown

I love how choice is good unless it's a public option. So you're still paying more than you should, but at least you get to choose who does it!

Trakdown

One thing that just occurred to me....were we ever given a reason why Romney selected Ryan? Seems kinda like a "just because" thing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
By choice, he means you'll have the ability to look for a charity to help you out in the event you can't get insurance and you end up with significant medical issues. Hooray, you have the freedom to look for help that might not exist! Isn't that better than getting help for certain?

Romney may be talking about some kind of pre-existing condition insurance pools just for sick people. Something that is prohibitively expensive for most Americans.

Funny how determining Romney's policies is like playing Mad Libs.

edit:
"some form of insurance" - or maybe insurance that doesn't cover their condition.

Cheebo

Banned
He was a favorite of conservatives. It gave him credibility with them just like Palin did with McCain.

Palin wasn't known by the base, just like the rest of the country. Ryan is and has been for a while a beloved figure by the base (why Romney picked him as you say). Palin was more of a "I am losing, let's do something crazy and see what happens."

RDreamer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/11/romney-would-give-people-with-pre-existing-conditions-a-choice/?wprss=rss_politics

Another idea from the fantasy world, as this would never happen. Insurance companies aren't going to take pre-existing condition people unless they get lower risk (ex: young people) people to offset the risks/costs. No relatively healthy uninsured person (or someone that cannot afford it) is going to voluntarily sign up for insurance without a mandate, especially, as he mentions, they can get care anyway.

The only way this happens is if everyone's insurance rates go up to offset the flood of high-risk, uninsured, pre-existing condition people. Great idea!

This interview is like word salad. None of it makes any sense. It's partially fantasy and partially vague words resembling what we already had for healthcare before Obamacare.

Created the thread here

Vyroxis

Banned
Yeah, the lengths employers will go to in order to deny their employees representation can be pretty disgusting.

Employer? Our employer was awesome through the whole ordeal. The union drive people were nothing short of thugs. To the point that the police had to get involved, restraining orders were being filed, some employees were outright quitting rather than put up with it all. I realise not all drives are like this, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

codhand

Our latest Reuters-Ipsos tracking poll has Romney 47, Obama 44 among likely voters
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican challenger Mitt Romney has pulled ahead of President Barack Obama in the race for the White House for the first time in more than a month and leads 45 percent to 44 percent among likely voters, according to a Reuters/Ipsos tracking poll released on Wednesday.

Huh? So it's tracking towards Romney?

Edit, nvrmind, I guess your quote is more recent.

Thread explosion imminent.

Downhome

If Romney doesn't win the entire thing, it's looking more and more likely that Obama will win the electoral vote and Romney will win the popular vote.

If Romney doesn't win the entire thing, it's looking more and more likely that Obama will win the electoral vote and Romney will win the popular vote.

If Romney gets in office, I'm going to guarantee him 8 years. He doesn't have to do anything and he will get good economic numbers. Obama did some of the lifting, and Romney will coast in as if he did a good job.

Democrats aren't insensitive jackasses like Republicans, they won't let the fiscal cliff hit us. Once that passes, the only thing that could derail is an implosion in Europe or China. I suppose starting a trade war with China could end up doing that for us, but I don't think Romney will actually go charge China with being a currency manipulator.

HylianTom

Banned
God, how that would be such sweet, sweet entertainment. Heads exploding everywhere!

But after some consideration, as much as I love Republican tears, I'd rather a big, juicy, undeniable mandate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom