• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

*looks around in the thread*

Well, shit. Guess I'll have to be the one to ask.

Are you hawt, Dax?

J/K of course!

Seriously, though.

Come on poligaf, hot? Where all my January real-pic heads in this thread? Their silence speaks volumes ;)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Come on poligaf, hot? Where all my January real-pic heads in this thread? Their silence speaks volumes ;)

I'll have you know this is my January real-pic! I really am a pixelized Lupin the III!

EDIT: actually shorten the sideburns, cut the hair a bit shorter and...nevermind

RDreamer

Dax is a chick?! Mind blown. That's cool, though. We need more ladies around here.

I did it last year, and intended to this year, but never got around to it. I didn't want to use the same picture. I should really get a fucking haircut before plastering my real mug around here, though.

Edit: Found a picture on my phone from a month or so ago. That'll do.

Taxman

Obama's going to be presenting his proposals to the public in a minute, right? Is there a livestream somewhere I can watch while at work?
Edit: Oh there's one on the white house website. Cool.

RDreamer

Real avatar'd!

I can't believe over *two-thirds* of the House Republican caucus voted against the Sandy relief bill. What the hell.

Not surprising in the least anymore. I kind of wonder what the republicans would have to do in order to surprise me at this point....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I can't believe over *two-thirds* of the House Republican caucus voted against the Sandy relief bill. What the hell.
I want, so badly, to be able to go into the voting booth and have an actual choice. I really do. I dream of a world where its not a choice between a flawed but often well intentioned party and a cabal of supervillains.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

CWfBm.png

Meanwhile in the Hall of Doom...

RDreamer

Fund research into the connections of violent video games and violence? Meh... I suppose that research will probably come out that there isn't much of a connection, but whatev.

Palom

I do, too. If there's any part of it that I'll accept as a bargaining chip, it's that. The universal background checks will undoubtedly do the most good of anything else proposed.

The one issue I have is that in redneck states like mine (Idaho), you can buy and sell guns without restriction through classified ads.

gcubed

The one issue I have is that in redneck states like mine (Idaho), you can buy and sell guns without restriction through classified ads.

i'm sure it won't stop automatically, but if the gun you sell gets used in a crime and you get arrested, it will stop itself

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like he's literally throwing everything into this, so everyone has a slight problem, but also everyone sees it as reasonable. The media will eat it up because it makes him look like a very serious person.

Pretty much, so long as some actual useful legislation gets in I'm good.

KingK

That kind of shocked me too (although it probably shouldn't have). I'm wondering if at this point the only things that will pass these next 4 years will only do so with majority Democrat support plus 20-40 House Republicans. Of course I'm not sure how many more times Boehner can justify to his fellow party members bringing up bills for a vote that a majority of his party opposes.

I'm seriously worried that Republicans in the House will make it impossible for any single issue to get resolved in Obama's second term and they'll keep creating self-inflicted economic disasters like the Fiscal Cliff and Debt Ceiling for four years. I'm scared about what kind of impact this level of dysfunction will have on the economy.

Of course Dems winning the House in 2014 would fix that, but I have absolutely no hope of that happening right now.

It is a dangerous precedent. What happens when Texas, Mississippi, or Alabama gets hit by a hurricane next? Are they gonna vote no then? Why not? Are they just regionalist assholes?

It is a dangerous precedent. What happens when Texas, Mississippi, or Alabama gets hit by a hurricane next? Are they gonna vote no then? Why not? Are they just regionalist assholes?

Short term it's a good precedent for getting things done with 30 moderate republicans and the dem caucus. Hastert rule be damned!

Ohh, and it further erodes their debt ceiling position too.

gcubed

That kind of shocked me too (although it probably shouldn't have). I'm wondering if at this point the only things that will pass these next 4 years will only do so with majority Democrat support plus 20-40 House Republicans. Of course I'm not sure how many more times Boehner can justify to his fellow party members bringing up bills for a vote that a majority of his party opposes.

I'm seriously worried that Republicans in the House will make it impossible for any single issue to get resolved in Obama's second term and they'll keep creating self-inflicted economic disasters like the Fiscal Cliff and Debt Ceiling for four years. I'm scared about what kind of impact this level of dysfunction will have on the economy.

Of course Dems winning the House in 2014 would fix that, but I have absolutely no hope of that happening right now.

Boehner broke the well with the fiscal cliff vote and still got re-elected speaker. Combined with the Sandy Aid package now he's allowed two votes in a row to go to the house without a majority of his caucus supporting. We will see how it plays out in the future. Also, they only need 10 republicans if pelosi can get her house in order.

RDreamer

It doesn't matter if the he can't translate the win into actions. Can't you see that? We're going to have another 4 years of the same in-fighting because the House despises him, and that's never going to change.

So would you rather he turn into an ultra hippie liberal, get absolutely nothing past the house and make people turn up fervently against him in 2014? Or do you want him to be reasonable so people put pressure on the House to pass things with Democratic support, and make the house republicans look worse and worse by the day so that it's possible they'll either lose in 2014 or lose even more positioning?

Going all out right now doesn't work when you've got the house full of butt-hurt man-babies who are all good at messaging. You've got to out message them, and that's what he's doing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm really confused - why does everyone think Obama has broad dictator-like powers through the Executive Order again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom