• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

beer%20chart.jpg

For reference

watershed

Banned
Obama's push begins:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/obama-guns-plan-to-include-trafficking-law-86260.html?hp=t1_3

According to the person in the room for Reed’s presentation, Obama’s gun violence prong includes universal background checks for all new gun purchases, which Reed called the most important element of Obama’s entire gun violence proposal. It also calls for banning assault weapons and ammunition magazines with more than 10 rounds and an anti-trafficking law that the White House hopes will break up gun-trafficking rings, Reed told the group.

Reed also said Obama will direct the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health to conduct research into gun violence.

The other elements of Obama’s proposals will focus on education and mental health, Reed said. Obama will seek to build on existing anti-bullying efforts and provide more federal resources for school counselors and school resources officers, Reed told the groups.

Reed told the organizations that the Affordable Care Act – Obamacare – will provide “a massive increase” in the availability of mental health services. Obama will also call for mental health training for school counselors and first responders.

I honestly see nothing controversial in these proposals.

A. You are never annoying people here asking questions to get a better understanding of something and don't ever be afraid to ask to same things twice if you still don't get it. Ask away!

B. Not sure if there would be a class unless you have some elective about economic history of the US or something. This is more stuff you research on your own. Macroeconomics will teach standard theories and might possibly throw in some examples from the past, but it won't talk about things like the debt ceiling (you will learn about monetary and fiscal policy effects according to mainstream economics, however). That said, I always recommend taking economics. But I would take both micro and macro if you're going to opt to take one. Might as well learn both!

A lot of this is politics overriding economics. The very notion that Congress passes X amount of spending but then doesn't allow for Y amount of borrowing to account for the spending is nonsensical. It is like a doctor saying your blood pressure is too high, prescribing you medication, but then telling the pharmacy not to give you the pills.

Thank you!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Obama's push begins:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/obama-guns-plan-to-include-trafficking-law-86260.html?hp=t1_3

I like everything I hear. The only thing is the assault weapons ban will kill the entire thing. Pro-gun groups will NEVER allow such a thing again. Sadly this probably won't ever see the light of day in the House and will be filibustered to hell and back in the Senate.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/nra-tv-ad-obama-elitist-hypocrite-because-his?ref=fpa

Probably the lowest I've ever seen someone go. Seriously, this is the worst political attack ad I've seen in a while, and that's saying something.

This is fucked up, the kids are off-limits. The kids are always off-limits unless you cravenly use them as a prop, even then they are off-limits from something like this.

T'Zariah

Banned
Obama's push begins:

Of course. It's only controversial because Obama is proposing them.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/nra-tv-ad-obama-elitist-hypocrite-because-his?ref=fpa

Probably the lowest I've ever seen someone go. Seriously, this is the worst political attack ad I've seen in a while, and that's saying something.

I would lay 100-1 odds that most of the threats made to Obama and his family are from NRA members or supporters.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So one of the nations greatest governors and Voldemort stand in, shows the proper protocol for dealing with personal responsibilities in pet ownership and taking advantage of living props;

During his successful 2010 campaign for Florida governor, Republican Rick Scott adopted a rescue Labrador retriever and named the pooch Reagan. Scott won the election, but the dog isn't living it up in the governor's mansion.

So where the heck is Reagan? Has the dog entered the witness protection program?

At last, the reporters asked Gov. Scott about Reagan. The governor said, "He was a rescue dog, and he couldn't be around anybody that was carrying anything, and so he wouldn't get better." Scott said that Reagan "scared the living daylights" out of people at the governor's mansion. A kitchen employee, he added, threatened to quit and a photographer was scared of the pooch's barking.

So Reagan was sent back. The Scott family now has a new dog, Tallee, who comes with his own set of challenges.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/mystery-solved-gov-scott-missing-dog-170659491.html

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Well, people have been saying for awhile now that Reagan would have no place in the modern Republican party

Well, people have been saying for awhile now that Reagan would have no place in the modern Republican party

Even the Economist endorsed Obama.

They followed with this line:

The Economist said:
Indeed, the extremism of his party is Mr Romney’s greatest handicap. The Democrats have their implacable fringe too: look at the teachers’ unions. But the Republicans have become a party of Torquemadas, forcing representatives to sign pledges never to raise taxes, to dump the chairman of the Federal Reserve and to embrace an ever more Southern-fried approach to social policy. Under President Romney, new conservative Supreme Court justices would try to overturn Roe v Wade, returning abortion policy to the states. The rights of immigrants (who have hardly had a good deal under Mr Obama) and gays (who have) would also come under threat. This newspaper yearns for the more tolerant conservatism of Ronald Reagan, where “small government” meant keeping the state out of people’s bedrooms as well as out of their businesses. Mr Romney shows no sign of wanting to revive it

They may be living in fantasy Reagan land but even they realize that the modern Republican party is no longer "Center-Right" but "Right".

Funny how it seems to fly past these guys that the president's daughters get extra protection because they're the president's daughters. Unless these kids are wrestling grizzly bears on their way to school everyday I think their livelihoods are generally safer than Malia and Sasha Obama's are.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Funny how it seems to fly past these guys that the president's daughters get extra protection because they're the president's daughters. Unless these kids are wrestling grizzly bears on their way to school everyday I think their livelihoods are generally safer than Malia and Sasha Obama's are.
They also don't realize that the president's daughters don't have armed protection because they're worried about crazy gunmen, it's that they're worried about kidnappers.

Actually, they probably do realize that, they just know their base is stupid enough to not realize it.

Damn shame they're throwing away potential success to fight over a stupid assault weapons ban. Let it die.
They just don't want to be accused of caving.

Have you ever seen Obama present a plan that gets passed without any concessions being made? He'll probably offer the assault weapons ban up for getting the bill passed.

Magni

Obama's push begins:

The AWB part is controversial, and ineffective. I'd rather they push for background checks on all ammo purchases as well as making all internet ammo purchases go through a dealer (no home delivery, only dealer pickup), like NY's new law.

If they really want to make assault rifles illegal, at least make them only illegal for personal purchase and let me go rent and shoot one at a range, and even then, that screws with collectors or those who like making their own weapons (think of banning personal ownership of computers, cybercafes won't help those who like building their desktops).

They just don't want to be accused of caving.

Have you ever seen Obama present a plan that gets passed without any concessions being made? He'll probably offer the assault weapons ban up for getting the bill passed.

But it wouldn't be a cave if didn't agree to put it in the package. I'm baffled why democrats didn't just pass the AWB earlier this month in the senate; it would then be tabled by the House. After that, Obama could simply use the bully pulpit to complain about the House not holding a vote on it, then introduce his own bill (that didn't include an AWB).

FyreWulff

I can practically guarantee you that the AWB will be included so they can "relent" and get rid of it so they get the optics of a compromise and the GOP gets the optics of looking like they stood up for gun rights.

Trafficking control makes sense as controlling guns moving across state lines is 100% in the federal government's jurisdiction.

The AWB part is controversial, and ineffective. I'd rather they push for background checks on all ammo purchases as well as making all internet ammo purchases go through a dealer (no home delivery, only dealer pickup), like NY's new law.

If they really want to make assault rifles illegal, at least make them only illegal for personal purchase and let me go rent and shoot one at a range, and even then, that screws with collectors or those who like making their own weapons (think of banning personal ownership of computers, cybercafes won't help those who like building their desktops).
Closing the gun show loophole would be big. That is a loophole so big that you can drive a truck through, fill it up with guns, and drive to Mexico and sell them to narco-gangs.

But whatever gets done probably won't accomplish much . . . but will hopefully save a few lives. That is better than nothing.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Closing the gun show loophole would be big. That is a loophole so big that you can drive a truck through, fill it up with guns, and drive to Mexico and sell them to narco-gangs.

But whatever gets done probably won't accomplish much . . . but will hopefully save a few lives. That is better than nothing.
Is closing the gun show loophole even planned to be a part of this whole thing?

Magni

I thought that was already the plan? Making all purchases go through a background check? Or is this only NY's new law?

I still drink Sam Adams. It's the only American national label I'll ever really buy. As I said, bit surprised it's on the GOP side. I drink from all sides, though.

But it wouldn't be a cave if didn't agree to put it in the package. I'm baffled why democrats didn't just pass the AWB earlier this month in the senate; it would then be tabled by the House. After that, Obama could simply use the bully pulpit to complain about the House not holding a vote on it, then introduce his own bill (that didn't include an AWB).
Don't you know how this works? They put in a provision they know the GOP won't go for so they start negotiations from a stronger position. The Republicans will call it outrageous, then Obama can say "Fine, we'll take out this part, see America? We can compromise."

If Obama submit the exact same bill, without the ban, they would demand further concessions.

This is exactly what everyone wanted Obama to do during the healthcare debate, as well as others - start from the left so the negotiations aren't dominated by the right. e.g. Starting from single-payer and negotiating down to a public option, instead of starting from a public option and negotiating down to nothing.

It's not a "cave." It's a compromise. Caving is giving into the other side, full stop. Caving would be no gun control legislation. Caving would be extending all of the Bush tax cuts as opposed to raising them at 400k instead of 250k.

States will soon try to fulfill the Republican goal of making unemployed people pee in cups to prove they're not on drugs.

Last February, congressional negotiators and the White House included reforms to the unemployment insurance system in a broader spending bill. One of the reforms will allow states to require drug tests for unemployment claimants in certain occupations.

A bill in Wyoming will do just that, pending guidance from the U.S. Department of Labor on which occupations may be subject to testing. Republican State Rep. Michael Madden told HuffPost he introduced his drug testing law because constituents -- both workers and employers -- have complained that unemployed people were getting high instead of getting back to work.

"If somebody's working and taking dope, that's their business," Madden said. "If somebody's on unemployment and using unemployment dollars at the expense of the taxpayer, then I have a problem."

Madden said he wants to make sure his bill complies with federal law, but the Labor Department won't announce its proposed rules until May, so he might have to wait a bit.

The stakes are high for the new regulation: Congressional Republicans have said most occupations would be covered, but Democrats said few would.

"The notion that it was a majority was a figment of somebody’s imagination," Rep. Sander Levin (D-Mich.), the top Democrat on the committee that oversees unemployment insurance, said Tuesday. "There was no evidence that most people who would be covered by it –- that that would be a majority."

Still, Republicans in statehouses across the country will likely try to make the most of their opportunity to drug test the jobless. Most state legislatures in the past few years saw bills to drug test welfare applicants, though the few that became law have been bottled up by federal courts. While many states already deny unemployment insurance to people laid off for drug-related reasons, efforts to create broader drug-testing regimes have been thwarted by federal regulations, which prohibit states from denying benefits for reasons unrelated to a worker's separation from his or her job.

Those regulations are about to give states an opening, and Wyoming appears to be one of the first to take advantage -- much to the chagrin of worker advocates.

"Drug testing even certain subsets of the unemployed in Wyoming is the prototypical solution in search of a problem," emailed Judy Conti, a lobbyist for the National Employment Law Project. Wyoming, Conti noted, has the fifth lowest unemployment rate of the states -- 5.1 percent -- and one of the healthiest unemployment trust funds.

"Legislators in Wyoming would better serve their constituents by trying to pass bills that solve problems that actually exist," Conti said, noting there's no indication the state's relatively insignificant unemployment problems are fueled by drug abuse.

National drug use surveys consistently find that unemployed people are more likely than employed people to use illegal drugs, but Madden said his bill was based only on what he'd heard from constituents. "I haven't seen any data," he said.

Madden said he would meet with government bureaucrats on Tuesday to see "if they think there’s a way to fix this up so it doesn't water it down so the only people affected are airplane pilots and rocket scientists."

Madden chafed a bit at the logic that testing will be allowed only if a worker's occupation routinely requires it. "You can't restrict unemployment insurance from somebody who uses dope if the job he's looking for doe

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/drug-testing-unemployment_n_2474186.html

WTF. I thought Florida already proved this to be a massive fucking failure. Fucking GOP.

Frontline's new documentary on Obama's first term is pretty good, although it overlooks some major things like the auto bailout.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/inside-obamas-presidency/

Even better is the online round table that is discussing/debating his term.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...-obamas-presidency-discussing-the-first-term/

Dave Weigel, Michael Grunwald, James Fallows, and others going back and forth. Too much Obama love for my taste of course, but it's still an interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom