• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Dutch news is calling out the Republicans' plan to change voting in blue states as bullshit. I'm assuming other countries and news sources are calling it what it is too. If it's already hitting international news, I can't imagine they're not going to get a crazy amount of backlash at home too.

I don't think you get our news and citizens here.

You don't recognize self defense as a legitimate reason to want to own and keep firearms legal?

For my part, I do not. Keeping individuals safe is what a non-dysfunctional society is for. Reliance on firearms for individual self-defense is an anti-social solution to a problem of our own making.

You don't recognize self defense as a legitimate reason to want to own and keep firearms legal?

I was speaking strictly in the terms of the average joe. If you're a farmer, it makes sense to keep one around for animal predators. Self-defense is a little iffy because that kinda devolves into being one of those circumstances where you have to tweak the situation just right in order for you having a gun to make a difference.

OKAY. So if the military won't fire on US citizens, and even if they do, they have planes that can drop bombs and a whole other assortment of fancy equipment that makes owning a gun useless, why do people need guns? What "right" is there? Do you need to own a gun just to have it? Why do people feel the need to own something designed to kill other people?

I don't get it.

- Target shooting
- Hunting
- Home protection

All three of those are done with my shotgun though. Not sure why someone needs an AR15 with a 30 round clip and a hanldle to reduce recoil.

Tim-E

TPM Backpat time. Another Republican Representative has admitted that the Hastert Rule is dead:

Said Fleming: "I think the Republicans would have a real problem giving the president a clean debt ceiling, even... short term. Maybe some would do it, but I think to get a majority of the majority vote, I think it's impossible."

He added: "I think that the majority of the majority Hastert rule comes out of a time when we had a Republican president. When you have a Democrat president that's a very hard thing to achieve sometimes -- and not necessarily important."

Tim-E

Also, Obama's official second term portrait has been released:

AkCSu.jpg

For my part, I do not. Keeping individuals safe is what a non-dysfunctional society is for. Reliance on firearms for individual self-defense is an anti-social solution to a problem of our own making.

This would imply all break-ins are motivated by simple economic issues. Odds might go down that a break in is related to rape, or that the person breaking in is some psycho serial killer or kidnapper. Still, what you're implying is a little bit disingenuous.

FyreWulff

Not even Obama could escape the Presidential Grey Hair Accelerator

edit: jesus christ I went to check his age on wikipedia and his portrait is already updated to that picture.

RDreamer

I think certainly an over-reliance on weapons for individual defense demonstrates a deficiency in our society, but I don't think the existence itself indicates that. I think all societies will have a certain amount of disfunction. I don't see the problem with having some fallbacks in case society does fail here and there. That's just realism.

That said, I don't think we should emphasize the failsafe as the actual thing that keeps us safe. It's just a last resort. If we can come up with a better solution we definitely should, and we shouldn't let that last resort stop us from getting a better solution.

FyreWulff

I saw a video of him from 2008 during that Frontline documentary and it shocked me how dark his hair was compared to now. Dat stress.

I still remember how his face changed even after his first debriefing. He had that "I know some deep shit now" look on it

Tim-E

I still remember how his face changed even after his first debriefing. He had that "I know some deep shit now" look on it

I wonder how many Presidents leave that first debriefing and think to themselves "Why on Earth did I take this job, again?"

Pigeon: if every mass shooter over the last couple years had used glocks instead of assault guns, do you think the White House would be trying to ban handguns right now? The answer is no. Assault weapons are largely a distraction bandaid that won't stop mass killings; the Sandy Hook killer had a couple glocks and could have killed as many people with them, if not more. Cracking down on illegal guns makes more sense, and I'm glad the bill will address that.

Suburban schools will keep getting shot up until they institute some basic security measures that inner city schools already have like metal detectors and auto lock doors. I support a ban on assault weapons but ultimately they aren't a major problem.

Tim-E

I'd almost be willing to bet money that the AWB is nothing more than a bargaining chip that will be removed (it's the biggest target of the right's whining) in order to ensure that the more important things like illegal gun crackdowns and universal background checks get passed. It makes the Republicans feel like they accomplished something with the bill and the Democrats get the most important things that they wanted.

Cat

Regarding Obama picture: He looks happier in the second one.

On the subject of gerrymandering, ThinkProgress actually had an article the other day about the GOP openly congratulating themselves and admitting to gerrymandering being what helped them win the House.

On the subject of guns, my own feelings are generally pretty anti-gun, but I live in Texas and have come to accept that I'd want some rather radical changes that will never be. However, there are some more realistic changes I think that can be made for the better.

This would imply all break-ins are motivated by simple economic issues. Odds might go down that a break in is related to rape, or that the person breaking in is some psycho serial killer or kidnapper. Still, what you're implying is a little bit disingenuous.

I don't think it's disingenuous and I don't think all break-ins are economically motivated. Nevertheless, many societies--themselves not ideally functional--get along fine without individual members arming themselves against each other. This is not to say that I believe there is not a right to self-defense, just that I am not prepared to say that there should be a right to possess a firearm for self-defense. That to me represents the relinquishment of social responsibility.

gcubed

Prince Reibus openly advocating rigging the next presidential election.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statep...ut-its-states-decision-fp8bqc3-186720481.html

what they tried in PA in 2011 was straight up voter fraud, the new plan, i have less of a problem with... but its just basically getting rid of the EC. You really can't do it on a state by state basis. It needs to be all or nothing.

There is nothing representative about congressional districts, and the plan would be thrown out so fast its not even worth trying to pass it in a state. The GOP should advocate for ridding themselves of the EC, or at least all states giving them proportionally

I don't think you get our news and citizens here.
Haha I watch more of your news than my own! I just think it's game over for he GOP from now on. They're not going to win any beauty contest anymore. They're going to cave time after time as their approval rating keeps dropping more and more because of their evil acts. The show is over.

Tim-E

I sometimes listen to the Politics of the United States channel on SiriusXM during the day for nonpartisan political talk, but some of the stuff they talk about on this station is so stupid. They've spent many minutes seriously talking about Michelle's bangs and how some restaurant the Obamas recently ate at is "lame" and "old Washington" and talking about how their restaurant choice should've been more hip as there are better restaurants in the city.

I don't know what's worse, this or Ed Schultz yelling at me for three hours.

edit: Screw this, I'm going back to NPR.

what they tried in PA in 2011 was straight up voter fraud, the new plan, i have less of a problem with... but its just basically getting rid of the EC. You really can't do it on a state by state basis. It needs to be all or nothing.

There is nothing representative about congressional districts, and the plan would be thrown out so fast its not even worth trying to pass it in a state. The GOP should advocate for ridding themselves of the EC, or at least all states giving them proportionally
Hmm that makes sense, although you never know with this SC

The funniest thing is that it shows the GOP has no interest in changing their message, tone, or ideas: they want to do the same thing, but rig the results. So that month of soul searching clearly convinced them that they're fucked unless they do something drastic.

I don't think it's disingenuous and I don't think all break-ins are economically motivated. Nevertheless, many societies--themselves not ideally functional--get along fine without individual members arming themselves against each other. This is not to say that I believe there is not a right to self-defense, just that I am not prepared to say that there should be a right to possess a firearm for self-defense. That to me represents the relinquishment of social responsibility.

If I have a right to defend myself, why does doing so with a gun represent relinquishment of social responsibility?

remist

But you recognize that there are some situations where even the best functioning society can fail to protect you and in which a firearm is the best defense. I don't think it is irrational to want to be prepared for these admittedly low-probability events, when should they occur it could produce terrible consequences for you and your loved ones.

Hopefully someone will invent a non-lethal beam weapon or something that will put us on a level playing field with criminals carrying lethal firearms.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But you recognize that there are some situations where even the best functioning society can fail to protect you and in which a firearm is the best defense. I don't think it is irrational to want to be prepared for these admittedly low-probability events, when should they occur it could produce terrible consequences for you and your loved ones.

Hopefully someone will invent a non-lethal beam weapon or something that will put us on a level playing field with criminals carrying lethal firearms.

Like a....I don't know i'm just throwing a name out there....stun gun?

Gotchaye

But the problem is that the relevant choice isn't between having or not having a gun in a given societal context. That's the choice an individual gun owner makes, and in some cases it's probably rational. In many cases it is not, though, because there are risks that come with gun ownership.

When we're talking about policy, we're not talking about that. The difference is that policy that promotes an individual's ability to keep a gun for self-defense necessarily promotes an individual's ability to obtain a gun for crime. It is possible that curtailing individuals' ability to obtain guns makes virtually everyone safer; yes, you would have fewer options for self-defense, but likewise there would be less need for that level of defensive capability.

If I have a right to defend myself, why does doing so with a gun represent relinquishment of social responsibility?

Because a firearm so empowers an individual vis-a-vis another individual that possession of one becomes the solution to the problem. Society exists in important part to afford safety to individuals within it. Possession of a firearm for self-defense represents to me, first, a belief that society is highly dysfunctional (which is true in my opinion) and, second, an abandonment of a social commitment to fix it. Possession of a firearm for self-defense is necessarily an individual solution to a social problem. Now, I do not mean to say by this that every individual who possesses a firearm is an anti-social cretin who has no interest in fixing a dysfunctional society. I am talking about what it represents at a very abstract level and why I, at least, refuse to accept that individuals ought to have a right to armed self-defense.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Limited range and cartridge size, plus they are't very reliable. There is no true non-lethal substitute for guns as of now.

You don't exactly need a sniper rifle to defend against a burglar. Most stun guns have enough of a range to cover a single room

House Republicans have a new debt ceiling strategy.

Instead of using the debt ceiling as leverage to extract immediate spending cuts, they will use it to pressure Senate Democrats to pass a budget resolution.

Wrapping up their annual retreat on Friday, GOP leaders unveiled their plan: they intend to pass legislation that raises the country’s borrowing authority for three months, and establish that if Congress fails to approve a budget in that time, members will not be paid.

In Speaker John Boehner’s words: “No budget, no pay.”

“Next week, we will authorize a three month temporary debt limit increase to give the Senate and House time to pass a budget,” House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) said in a statement. “Furthermore, if the Senate or House fails to pass a budget in that time, Members of Congress will not be paid by the American people for failing to do their job.”

Under the plan, if one chamber passes a budget but the other doesn’t, then only members of the chamber that passed a budget will get paid, a House GOP leadership aide told TPM.

The change in strategy reflects a major concession from the House GOP’s demand that each dollar of debt limit increase come alongside a dollar in spending cuts, and it’s not yet clear that conservative House members will be on board. But it’s a sign that although GOP leaders saw their initial position as unsustainable, they aren’t prepared to fully back down on their desire to use the debt ceiling as leverage to move the needle on budget issues.

“Before there is any long-term debt limit increase, a budget should be passed that cuts spending,” said Boehner. “The Democratic-controlled Senate has failed to pass a budget for four years. That is a shameful run that needs to end, this year.”

The GOP’s new approach was met with immediate resistance from the office of Democratic Sen. Patty Murray (WA), the chair of the Budget Committee.

“As Senator Cornyn said today, Republican threats to play politics with the debt limit are nothing more than a negotiating ploy, so we expect them to allow us to raise the debt limit so the government can pay the bills it has already accrued,” Eli Zupnick, Murray’s spokeswoman, told TPM in an email. “Republicans should stop using these threats of default to hold our economy hostage, and as always, we are ready to work with them to determine the most productive path toward ending these constant crises and moving toward a balanced, bipartisan, and comprehensive budget deal.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-NV) spokesman Adam Jentleson said Democrats will consider a clean debt limit increase if the House can pass it.

“It is reassuring to see Republicans beginning to back off their threat to hold our economy hostage,” Jentleson said in a statement. “If the House can pass a clean debt ceiling increase to avoid default and allow the United States to meet its existing obligations, we will be happy to consider it. As President Obama has said, this issue is too important to middle class families’ economic security to use as a ploy for collecting a ransom. We have an obligation to pay the bills we have already incurred — bills for which many House Republicans voted.”

###

Tim-E

I don't see this stunt working. Their public image is absolutely horrible now. They will raise the debt ceiling regardless of any deficit reduction. Raising it for three months and creating this permanent state of doubt as to whether or not the economy will crater is the most harmful thing imaginable.

Tim-E

Yep Uncle Joe. But PD said!!!

Papa Joe knows this Capitol like the back of his hand, son.

It sounds like this retreat saw a lot of them acknowledging that they need to start to work with the other side just a tad. These people ultimately want to win, and letting the economy go into complete free fall willingly will not help them do that.

Under the plan, if one chamber passes a budget but the other doesn’t, then only members of the chamber that passed a budget will get paid, a House GOP leadership aide told TPM.
LOL! And what exactly is stopping them from both passing their own version of a ''budget''?
‘Firearms instructor’ hired as school guard leaves handgun in student bathroom

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/...eaves-unattended-handgun-in-student-bathroom/
Dafuq.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom