• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh btw, concerning the Facebook page which is looking good too, I personally always love when there's more text available to read in the post itself without having to click to the site. Facebook shortens it automatically so it doesn't fill up peoples newsfeed anyway and maybe it makes it easier for people to feel like ''hey this is good, let me read the rest too''. I'm subscribed to Fareed Zakaria for example and he often has about 100 words which, compared to other people who only do one or two sentences, really gets you more interested in an article. Maybe you could do something similar and do the whole first paragraph or first two if it's not more than say 300 words? Just a suggestion that could maybe help get more clicksthroughs.

RDreamer

Nice, we're already getting followed by another politics blog! Baby steps :p

Oh btw, concerning the Facebook page which is looking good too, I personally always love when there's more text available to read in the post itself without having to click to the site. Facebook shortens it automatically so it doesn't fill up peoples newsfeed anyway and maybe it makes it easier for people to feel like ''hey this is good, let me read the rest too''. I'm subscribed to Fareed Zakaria for example and he often has about 100 words which, compared to other people who only do one or two sentences, really gets you more interested in an article. Maybe you could do something similar and do the whole first paragraph or first two if it's not more than say 300 words? Just a suggestion that could maybe help get more clicksthroughs.

Makes sense. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Tim-E

I'll keep it in mind, as well. Good thinking; Fareed's page always does a good job of pulling me through to the full article :p

RDreamer

We must have a lot of lurkers to tap into here, because the stats on this are looking pretty good for being up literally only hours and most of the posts being put up at times people generally aren't awake.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Do we have any limitations on swearing? I mean, I don't really curse too much on my blog but every once in a while use the occasional "fuck" and "asshole" and the like.

Most views are from America. ;p
Well shit, which other countries are watching? I don't want to be the only non-USA loser wasting my time on this =( And weekly stat updates would be cool haha.
Do we have any limitations on swearing? I mean, I don't really curse too much on my blog but every once in a while use the occasional "fuck" and "asshole" and the like.
Well you seem to get quoted/linked so what works for you should work for PoliGaf lol.

RDreamer

I wouldn't bar it, but if certainly use it sparingly. Definitely not as much as I swear here. Use it for effect, but be at least a bit professional.

RDreamer

You guys should make a thread in OT for your blog, a lot of people never check the politics thread.

Yep, I'll likely do that tonight, unless someone beats me to it. I jus wanted to make sure we got most of the regulars that are contributing in before cutting things off and letting others here know.

What's the source for this? I just want to understand the basis of the meme.

I don't know the source of the gif. But the meme is basically that Ron Paul has made all sorts of crappy predictions and they pretty much never happen. He's been predicting hyper-inflation . . . for more than 30 years. His newsletter has been warning about a race war for decades. So anytime something happens that vaguely goes along with one of his many dire predictions, the gif gets used to great amusement.

I doubt the base would accept the GOP giving up on things like immigration and gay marriage. Things would get real ugly real fast. I wouldn't rule out physical violence spiking.
I think they'll give up on gay marriage and then act like the supported it all along because marriage is an important family value.

It will just be like African-American civil rights . . . the conservatives fought it like crazy for years and eventually lost. And now they like to brag that they are the party of Lincoln that freed the slaves. (While trying to ignore the racist element that still exists within the party.)

RDreamer

First post (for me)!

http://deadheatpolitics.wordpress.c...ple-on-food-stamps-arent-being-shamed-enough/

RDreamer, I haven't used Wordpress in a long time, so can you please edit my post so that it properly embeds that media matters video?

Nice. Just read it. Good stuff, and definitely a different, more personal style to it. I'll have to check that video when I'm home on a computer again.

Make sure to add in a short bio or something on the contributors page, too.

I have my first post done. RDreamer, give me access nowwwwww

It should have sent you an email. Lemme look again.

Edit: sent again

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I finished my post as well and sent you my e-mail so you can add me. It's kind of a long one though since I added two paragraphs of the history of the Filibuster. It seems like everyone I talk to doesn't realize it's just something they came up with on their own and not a constitutional thing so I figured adding it in would be a good idea.

Nice. Just read it. Good stuff, and definitely a different, more personal style to it. I'll have to check that video when I'm home on a computer again.

Make sure to add in a short bio or something on the contributors page, too.

Edit: sent again

Been in crunch time for the past few days, but I love this idea and would like to contribute as well. I'll send a PM.

In other news:
USA Today does not renew it's contract with Gallup;
http://www.businessinsider.com/usa-today-drops-gallup-as-its-pollster-2013-1

Yeah, they seriously fucked up. "Gallup" is a brand that has been around for decades and is practically synonymous with polling. A lot of the more moderate people on the right that dismissed loons like 'unskewed polls' and Dick Morris probably still thought Romney would win because of the Gallup polling that showed Romney ahead in the national poll. Gallup destroyed their credibility big time.

Chichikov

First post (for me)!

http://deadheatpolitics.wordpress.c...ple-on-food-stamps-arent-being-shamed-enough/

RDreamer, I haven't used Wordpress in a long time, so can you please edit my post so that it properly embeds that media matters video?
The Right really doesn’t want to hear this, but recessions don’t happen because millions of people coming together and deciding to start being lazy all of a sudden.
Worth repeating.
It seem like we already forgot how we got into this mess.

Considering how bad they sucked, I am not shocked.

Also, filibuster stuff is up.
Oh shit, you're a journalist in NYC? Nice.

Edit: Wait what do we exactly have to send RDreamer if we want to be able to post on the site? Wordpress account name or?
Thanks.

Edit 2: Just found out that I made a Wordpress blog once. It's title has to do with procrastination. I guess it's fitting that there's only one lorem ipsum post and nothing else there.

So I loaded up Safari and got past the loading screen, but all it does is redirect back to the home page. Or I don't want what to do. I click "new post" but it says I'm not in charge of anything.

So I loaded up Safari and got past the loading screen, but all it does is redirect back to the home page. Or I don't want what to do. I click "new post" but it says I'm not in charge of anything.
Sweet lady, you just don't know how to use them camputorz. Back to the kitchen for youz.

RDreamer

I saw you only accepted an invite to follow. I may have sent that on accident. Check for another invite I just sent.

Gotchaye

This election?

I don't think "did they pick the winner?" is a very good test to apply. They're trying to predict the margin of victory of one candidate over another. According to Gallup's site, comparing (I think) their final polls before each election with the election results:

1976: predicted Ford by 1%, Carter won by 2% (3% difference)
1980: predicted Reagan by 3%, Reagan won by 9.2% (6.2% difference)
1984: predicted Reagan by 18%, Reagan won by 18.4% (.4% difference)
1988: predicted Bush by 12%, Bush won by 6.9% (5.1% difference)
1992: predicted Clinton by 12%, Clinton won by 5.6% (6.4% difference)
1996: predicted Clinton by 11%, Clinton won by 8.5% (2.5% difference)
2000: predicted Bush by 2%, Gore "won" by .5% (2.5% difference)
2004: predicted a narrow Kerry win, Bush won by 2.4% (2.4% difference)

2008: predicted Obama by 11%, Obama won by 7% (4% difference)
2012: predicted Romney by 1%, Obama won by 4% (5% difference)

So, other than in 2012, they've actually been at their most accurate in the races where they got the winner wrong.

Makes the whole debate over taxes even sadder when you see it like this. So many people lost the payroll tax cut that was perhaps vital to their bottom line, and so few people who won't even realize it, are paying a penny on the dollar more.

43BQXhH.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-tax-bracket-has-less-than-500-people-in-it/

Oblivion

Got the invitation, but when I clicked "accept" all it's giving me is a loading screen.

I've learned that certain browsers are dicks when it comes to blogging software. Firefox would give me a similar problem.

Makes the whole debate over taxes even sadder when you see it like this. So many people lost the payroll tax cut that was perhaps vital to their bottom line, and so few people who won't even realize it, are paying a penny on the dollar more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-tax-bracket-has-less-than-500-people-in-it/

Instead of the number of people at each tax bracket who will face that as their top rate, I would be more curious to see a graph of the percentage of income taxed at each bracket. What that would show is a ton of money being taxed at 39.6, since nearly half of all income is taken in by the top 1%.

The problem is that, of that top 1%, the overwhelming majority of that income is taken in by the top 0.1% and even the top 0.01%. That means, effectively, that the top income bracket is basically a flat tax on a huge chunk of the country's income.

I think it's criminal that the 500,000th dollar of income is treated the same for income tax purposes as the $5,000,000th dollar.

Oblivion

Question: Are the Righties actually floating the possibility of Mark Sanford being a presidential contender? Cause that's what some douchebag Republican on MSNBC said just now.

Is this an actual thing now?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Question: Are the Righties actually floating the possibility of Mark Sanford being a presidential contender? Cause that's what some douchebag Republican on MSNBC said just now.

Is this an actual thing now?

I heard he was going for a Senate seat or something...but President? If he is you have to admire his balls.

Instead of the number of people at each tax bracket who will face that as their top rate, I would be more curious to see a graph of the percentage of income taxed at each bracket. What that would show is a ton of money being taxed at 39.6, since nearly half of all income is taken in by the top 1%.

The problem is that, of that top 1%, the overwhelming majority of that income is taken in by the top 0.1% and even the top 0.01%. That means, effectively, that the top income bracket is basically a flat tax on a huge chunk of the country's income.

I think it's criminal that the 500,000th dollar of income is treated the same for income tax purposes as the $5,000,000th dollar.

Not only but it also depends on the profession.

For example, a profession athlete pays more on that $5,000,000th dollar than Warren Buffet.

Not that I'm crying for the athlete, but it shows the absurdity of the system

Not only but it also depends on the profession.

For example, a profession athlete pays more on that $5,000,000th dollar than Warren Buffet.

Not that I'm crying for the athlete, but it shows the absurdity of the system
Why is it so hard to make people understand? Why have people allowed themselves to accept it and even go so far as to defend something as indefensible? The media and education system have failed their number one job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom