• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkitty

BREAKING NEWS: Reuters says Pope Benedict is gonna resign. Not much else is known.

I wonder how this will affect Obama's reelection chances.

I'm just going to leave this here since I don't know if it's threadworthy or more likely because I don't want to bring shame onto my fellow Americans.

http://news.sky.com/story/1050467/steven-seagal-trains-us-school-guard-posse

rtr3dk7l-1-778x437.jpg

Action movie star Steven Seagal has been drafted in to train a volunteer armed posse to defend Phoenix-area schools against gunmen.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio - who calls himself "America's Toughest Sheriff" - called on the Under Siege actor in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut, which left 26 children and staff dead.

Hulk star Lou Ferrigno is also signed up for the Maricopa posse

Brinbe

Saw this and gotta ask: It's probably the latter, but are there more shootings than usual following Newton, or is it simply that more shootings are making the headlines because of Newton?
That'd probably be a good thing to vigorously study because although it does feel like the latter, you can't say for sure.

Anyway, in these cases, the more coverage/outrage, the better.

Watching John McCain melt down over this manufactured and disgraceful nonsense tells me that he wasn't simply a good old republican who made a poor choice with a Veep pick, but rather a fucking venal angry shit bullet that we narrowly dodged.

He has fucked himself for good. And I think Karl Rove will now be seen as a net drag on the party.

That's how he and lieberman got along so well.

Electronics made in china are cheap; Therefore, there are no poors

I'm just going to leave this here since I don't know if it's threadworthy or more likely because I don't want to bring shame onto my fellow Americans.

http://news.sky.com/story/1050467/steven-seagal-trains-us-school-guard-posse

rtr3dk7l-1-778x437.jpg

So, Rachel Ray can't wear a scarf without conservatives throwing a tizzy, but Seagal can wear that and still be a patriotic hero.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I keep reading about an authorized drone strike on US soil for that Cop killer. The only link provided is from msn.com but it is a tiny article that provides zero details. Any truth to this?

Drakeon

I keep reading about an authorized drone strike on US soil for that Cop killer. The only link provided is from msn.com but it is a tiny article that provides zero details. Any truth to this?
I was under the impression it was strictly surveillance drones. Not armed.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I just read the article again and it just stats he's the first drone target on US soil. It makes no mention of a drone strike. It's not worded very well...

Sounds like the sotu will focus on jobs. Bill Clinton hit the nail on the head during his speech ar the dem retreat: the party needs a job plan. The administration has acted as if unemployment isn't a problem for months if not years, focusing almost entirely on budget fight after budget fight. Obviously republicans are to blame for much of that but it wouldn't be hard to come to the conclusion that both parties aren't interested in jobs.

I would hope that we see less focus on pie in the sky shit like an assault weapons ban or climate change. The Jobs Act was a start, but there needs to be something beyond that small package, something long term instead of a smaller stimulus. I'm baffled why congress allegedly has to tackle gun violence after Newtown when there has been more public interest and outcry for jobs over the last four years.

Jackson50

Sounds like the sotu will focus on jobs. Bill Clinton hit the nail on the head during his speech ar the dem retreat: the party needs a job plan. The administration has acted as if unemployment isn't a problem for months if not years, focusing almost entirely on budget fight after budget fight. Obviously republicans are to blame for much of that but it wouldn't be hard to come to the conclusion that both parties aren't interested in jobs.

I would hope that we see less focus on pie in the sky shit like an assault weapons ban or climate change. The Jobs Act was a start, but there needs to be something beyond that small package, something long term instead of a smaller stimulus. I'm baffled why congress allegedly has to tackle gun violence after Newtown when there has been more public interest and outcry for jobs over the last four years.
Yeah. This president has been out to lunch on jobs. Obama proposed an economic package in late 2011. It was dead in the water largely because House Republicans refuse to compromise on anything remotely effective. And, to a lesser extent, conservative Congressional Democrats balked at supporting more spending before the campaigns. So if any proposal must satisfy an intransigent Republican House, what is the benefit of additional proposals? He's had a jobs plan that included provisions with long-term implications. Yet it is futile given the current political impasse. So the notion that Obama and the Democrats have failed because they lacked a plan is erroneous.

KingK

Yeah. This president has been out to lunch on jobs. Obama proposed an economic package in late 2011. It was dead in the water largely because House Republicans refuse to compromise on anything remotely effective. And, to a lesser extent, conservative Congressional Democrats balked at supporting more spending before the campaigns. So if any proposal must satisfy an intransigent Republican House, what is the benefit of additional proposals? He's had a jobs plan that included provisions with long-term implications. Yet it is futile given the current political impasse. So the notion that Obama and the Democrats have failed because they lacked a plan is erroneous.

Obama and the Dems could at least try to sell a jobs/stimulus plan to the public, rather than letting Republicans say "no" and proceed to own the media narrative about spending.

Dems should be pushing their own message that what we need right now is more jobs, not less spending, and they should be shouting left and right that cutting spending cuts jobs. They haven't though. They've just folded and accepted the Republican's framing of the issue and most of the public probably thinks that cutting spending will create jobs, so Obama shouldn't be surprised when Republicans don't feel any pressure to support a jobs bill.

Jackson50

Obama and the Dems could at least try to sell a jobs/stimulus plan to the public, rather than letting Republicans say "no" and proceed to own the media narrative about spending.

Dems should be pushing their own message that what we need right now is more jobs, not less spending, and they should be shouting left and right that cutting spending cuts jobs. They haven't though. They've just folded and accepted the Republican's framing of the issue and most of the public probably thinks that cutting spending will create jobs, so Obama shouldn't be surprised when Republicans don't feel any pressure to support a jobs bill.
Democrats have tried. Obama even unveiled his proposal to a joint session of Congress on national television. And it fizzled spectacularly. Republicans have demonstrated an unwillingness to compromise even slightly on the matter. Perhaps greater pressure would compel them, although I am doubtful. Of course, I am not suggesting Obama ignore the topic. But it's mistaken to identify the problem as an absence of a plan.

Tim-E

Jackson is right; Obama proposed a fairly detailed plan on national TV during a speech specifically to push this plan. A website was made to advertise it and it was at the beginning of the Presidential election and it gained absolutely no traction. I'd love to see it or a similar proposal get somewhere, but the Republicans don't want to let him win on anything.

Talon

That was a pretty baller political move by Levin to set the vote a few hours before the State of the Union.

If the Republicans hold, they'll be put on blast for politics as usual. If they vote, Hagel's going to the Senate floor.

Talon

Haha.
Ted Nugent, who last yr likened Obama & Dems to coyotes who deserve to be shot, will attend SOTU as Rep. Stockman's guest.
Who would be the Democratic equivalent of Nugent to bring to a Republican President's SotU?

BREAKING NEWS: Reuters says Pope Benedict is gonna resign. Not much else is known.

I wonder how this will affect Obama's reelection chances.
Yes another election. Has nate weighed in on whos leading in the polling for the next pope?
Will there be tracking polls? Has gallup fixed their likley voter model and adjusted it for old cardinals?

Democrats have tried. Obama even unveiled his proposal to a joint session of Congress on national television. And it fizzled spectacularly. Republicans have demonstrated an unwillingness to compromise even slightly on the matter. Perhaps greater pressure would compel them, although I am doubtful. Of course, I am not suggesting Obama ignore the topic. But it's mistaken to identify the problem as an absence of a plan.

So..he just gives up and never discusses it again? An assault weapons ban is far more unlikely, as is climate control, yet he's pivoted to both. You don't just have to just spend money to address the economy. Obama proposed a corporate tax cut years ago and there has been no movement on it. I'm not saying that is some major thing to fix unemployment, but it could certainly be a part of any jobs bill to entice republicans.

But PD said

The White House on Monday categorically ruled out raising the Medicare eligibility age as part of deficit reduction.

Asked during his daily press briefing if President Obama is willing to consider the idea, spokesman Jay Carney said, “No.”

“The president’s made clear that we don’t believe that’s the right policy to take,” he told reporters.

The White House was never fond of the idea, which Republicans and conservative advocates support, but was open to gradually raising the Medicare eligibility age to 67 as part of a broader deal in prior deficit reduction talks. Carney’s remarks nix the proposal in the White House’s most explicit terms yet.

Raising the eligibility age from 65 to 67 would save the federal government $125 billion over 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office, by shifting some of the health care burden to younger seniors by requiring them to obtain insurance on their own.

House Speaker John Boehner’s (R-OH) office responded to Carney.

“The White House keeps saying what they won’t do to replace President Obama’s devastating sequester — when will they tell us what they will do, and call on the Senate Democrats to pass it?” Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said in an email to TPM.

Immediately after Carney made his remarks, Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck tweeted that he was “shocked” and that “[t]he table is bare.”

Looks like you're on a roll PD. One day you may just get something right. May being the operative word.

Tamanon

Banned
Contemplating going to see the President on Wednesday in Asheville. Only about an hour drive. Wonder how you get tickets for that sort of thing, as it doesn't seem like a fundraiser.

KingK

Jackson is right; Obama proposed a fairly detailed plan on national TV during a speech specifically to push this plan. A website was made to advertise it and it was at the beginning of the Presidential election and it gained absolutely no traction. I'd love to see it or a similar proposal get somewhere, but the Republicans don't want to let him win on anything.

I remember when he proposed the American Jobs Act, I think it was called, and you're right that he tried, but I feel like the Dems just gave up way too easy. Did Republicans stop talking about repealing Obamacare just because it had no traction and was unable to happen?

There should be a Democrat on TV every day blasting Republicans for trying to destroy jobs by pushing for deep spending cuts, and at the same time promoting the Democrats plan to create new jobs. Even if/when Republicans continue to refuse to budge and it doesn't pass, at least more Americans would know why it doesn't pass.

My point is that you can't just release a plan and then let Republicans go unchallenged in the media spewing bullshit and building the narrative and then act surprised when that plan fails to gain traction. You need to fight back and sell it to the public because unfortunately in our media, having the facts on your side just isn't enough to win.

GhaleonEB

I remember when he proposed the American Jobs Act, I think it was called, and you're right that he tried, but I feel like the Dems just gave up way too easy. Did Republicans stop talking about repealing Obamacare just because it had no traction and was unable to happen?

There should be a Democrat on TV every day blasting Republicans for trying to destroy jobs by pushing for deep spending cuts, and at the same time promoting the Democrats plan to create new jobs. Even if/when Republicans continue to refuse to budge and it doesn't pass, at least more Americans would know why it doesn't pass.

My point is that you can't just release a plan and then let Republicans go unchallenged in the media spewing bullshit and building the narrative and then act surprised when that plan fails to gain traction. You need to fight back and sell it to the public because unfortunately in our media, having the facts on your side just isn't enough to win.

Obama went on a national tour promoting the Jobs Act, immidiately after releasing it. He proposed it to Congress in a joint session, televised. And the House and Dem leadership pushed for it, but were stonewalled in both chambers. Obama also made the components of the Jobs Act foundational to his campaign proposals, which he campaigned on heavily. It really wasn't a fire and forget proposal.

The reason you didn't see a lot of Dems on TV pushing for it is because our media was busy with debtmagedded and BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI. Dems tried. Obama campaigned on it. Republicans were steadfast in their opposition, and ultimately there's nothing Obama can do about it. Not even winning the election mattered to the GOP.

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) told the National Review Online that he and other Republicans plans to “postpone” the confirmation of Chuck Hagel, President Obama's nominee for secretary of defense.

“I’ll do that for as long as it takes,” Inhofe said. “I’m going to make sure there is a 60-vote margin.”

“Hagel may be passed out of the committee, but it’s going to be a long, long time before he hits the floor,” Inhofe said. “We’re going to need as much time as possible, and there are going to be several of us who will have holds.”

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-MI) scheduled a vote to pass Hagel's confirmation out of committee for Tuesday.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/inhofe-promises-to-postpone-hagel-confirmation-vote

glad the senate fixed the filibuster!

“I’ll do that for as long as it takes,” Inhofe said. “I’m going to make sure there is a 60-vote margin.”

“Hagel may be passed out of the committee, but it’s going to be a long, long time before he hits the floor,” Inhofe said. “We’re going to need as much time as possible, and there are going to be several of us who will have holds.”

You gotta be shitting me. They are going to filibuster an old white Republican Vietnam veteran from a red state for a cabinet post? They have lost their fucking minds.

Obama went on a national tour promoting the Jobs Act, immidiately after releasing it. He proposed it to Congress in a joint session, televised. And the House and Dem leadership pushed for it, but were stonewalled in both chambers. Obama also made the components of the Jobs Act foundational to his campaign proposals, which he campaigned on heavily. It really wasn't a fire and forget proposal.

The reason you didn't see a lot of Dems on TV pushing for it is because our media was busy with debtmagedded and BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI. Dems tried. Obama campaigned on it. Republicans were steadfast in their opposition, and ultimately there's nothing Obama can do about it. Not even winning the election mattered to the GOP.

Dems should really create their own Fox News. Make it so over the top to the point where Repubs want Dems to stop spewing BS. At that point, any changes they want to make to Fox News 2 means they'll have to make it to Fox News itself.

If Media Narrative is truly that large of a powerhouse, I don't think it would be a lose lose situation if Democrats go with the approach as well.

KingK

And the reason Debtmagedden and BENGHAZIBENGHAZI!! were the narratives in the news is because Republicans created both of those narratives and continued to shout about it until the media picked it up.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like if Republicans can create media narratives by just shouting bullshit loud and frequent enough, then Democrats should be able to do the same (especially when they usually have a lot more facts on their side). I think if Obama and all of the Dems got a list of talking points and shouted nonstop about how "spending cuts are job cuts" and "austerity destroys economies", maybe the media would have to start talking about that shit and the public would be more inclined to consider a Jobs bill. Because as of now, the Republicans have effectively convinced a shit ton of people that the best way to create jobs is to cut spending, and there is nobody except Paul Krugman pushing back against that right now on a regular basis.

It's just so fucked up to me that Republicans have been accusing Democrats of "trying to turn us into Greece" for months, but I haven't heard a single Democrat use that attack against a Republican, even though the Republican policies would factually bring us closer to Greece. I don't know whether it's lack of trying or just incompetence but the Democrats have been absolutely terrible and framing their narrative on the economy, and it's translated into a lot of voters thinking they just don't know how to handle the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom