• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
When people call for "better mental health care" what kind of actual policy is proposed and what could the federal government realistically do to catch some of these problems? I'm not being disingenuous, I just really am unsure what people would expect such policies to be.

What I'd like to see is:
- mental health services being necessarily available on all health care plans (with, of course, health care being universal in the first place)
- preventative mental health treatment being treated the same as preventative physical health treatment (free, convenient, routine)
- social services that better assist those with severe mental health issues (better care and vocational systems for the mentally challenged, rehabilitation over incarceration for those with violent/criminal disorders)
- efforts to destigmatize mental health matters among the public (fuck knows how you'd do that)
- additional funding for safe and ethical research into mental health and neurosciences (to improve future treatment of disorders).

I have a feeling that's not what most people are talking about, though.

Okay girls calm down. I was merely inquiring not judging. My why was aimed at why this guy specifically and not why would you do that in general with someone from the other side. If Google is correct then he's apparently from Illinois which explains why they'd be close.

Tim-E

What I'd like to see is:
- mental health services being necessarily available on all health care plans (with, of course, health care being universal in the first place)
- preventative mental health treatment being treated the same as preventative physical health treatment (free, convenient, routine)
- social services that better assist those with severe mental health issues (better care and vocational systems for the mentally challenged, rehabilitation over incarceration for those with violent/criminal disorders)
- efforts to destigmatize mental health matters among the public (fuck knows how you'd do that)
- additional funding for safe and ethical research into mental health and neurosciences (to improve future treatment of disorders).

Those are pretty reasonable and I think mostly doable. I think if we were to make preventative mental health care something as routine as preventative physical care, that alone would do wonders to destigmatize it.

Thanks for the answer!

Chichikov

Ya'll hate Rubio too much.
I hate him just enough.
Seriously though, that was a horrible speech, and it's fucking depressing (if not surprising) to the GOP double down on the "fight Obama above all else" playbook.
Everyone that drives that clown car on national TV deserves all the shit he gets.
What I'd like to see is:

I honestly think we need to rethink the whole framework of mental care in this country. It should probably start with a serious scientific push to better understand those conditions and evaluate treatment methods.

Magni

What I'd like to see is:

In August 2011, Rick Rypien, a Vancouver Canucks player, committed suicide, and since then the team and players has been really proactive about raising awareness and destigmatizing mental illness and depression. They relaunched the website mindcheck.ca among other things. The Canucks (along with the other Canadian NHL teams I think) are doing a new push this month called "Hockey talks" to continue raising awareness (http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653292). They've been talking about it nonstop, before games, during the intermissions, after games, on days when they don't have games, etc. Something like this in the US would be nice.

zargle

In August 2011, Rick Rypien, a Vancouver Canucks player, committed suicide, and since then the team and players has been really proactive about raising awareness and destigmatizing mental illness and depression. They relaunched the website mindcheck.ca among other things. The Canucks (along with the other Canadian NHL teams I think) are doing a new push this month called "Hockey talks" to continue raising awareness (http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653292). They've been talking about it nonstop, before games, during the intermissions, after games, on days when they don't have games, etc. Something like this in the US would be nice.

I would say it would be nice if NFL teams or the NFL as a whole did something like this, but I know that they are going to continue to do their best to distance themselves from anything that will bring attention to the potential effect their game has on mental health.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

Yea, that point's probably gonna have to come more from tragedy and media than anything a government could do. I mean, government can try, but honestly they'd likely mess it up. Having respected community figures and entertainers take on that task is probably the most sensible approach.

I actually fell asleep watching the speech. It was nice but it's just a speech. Won't matter for the most part since we still have the GOP. Even today Boehner rejected an increase in minimum wage.

Overheard some of Morning Joe while out today. Joe's basic take was that Obama was saying he can't get anything done with the congress, and was just focusing on 2014. At what point does someone point out reality: every single thing he focused on in the speech is supported by most of the country. If republicans cannot get behind bipartisan issues everyone supports, who's fault is that?

It's the stupidest shit ever. "Obama is talking about popular things, he's being confrontational!"

kehs

Banned
"Listen, I've got 11 brothers and sisters on every rung of the economic ladder. I know about this issue as much as anybody in this town. And what happens when you take away the first couple of rungs on the economic ladder -- you make it harder for people to get on the ladder," Boehner said. "Our goal is to get people on the ladder and help them climb that ladder so they can live the American dream. And a lot of people who are being the paid minimum wage are being paid that because they come to the workforce with no skills. And this makes it harder for them to acquire the skills they need in order to climb that ladder successfully."

-Boehner on min wage raise

Trey

If the minimum wage was raised to $9.00, I'd be making more money and have more money to spend.

Their argument would be that you wouldn't have a job because your place of business couldn't afford you, a presumably unskilled worker.

In order for the economy to grow, we need more people in higher paying jobs!

Quick, let's scuttle this proposal to get more people in higher paying jobs.

My mind just exploded. I can't believe he somehow thinks this is a legitimate argument. The line about dealing with minimum wage for 28 years and raising minimum wage leading to less employment is straight up ass crap too. From what I just saw it was raised in the 90's and that sure as hell wasn't a time when jobs were lost. Where the hell are his real world examples.

Because many states raise their wage every year there's a shit ton of examples. cities with higher wages too.

Raising the wage does not lead to higher prices, and in many cases has led to growth in employment

Clevinger

The best line I've seen regarding min wage was on Facebook by a poor guy (almost certainly making minimum wage) I know.

"If raising the minimum wage was so good, why doesn't he raise it to $30?"

I just... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I sat down outside one of my political classes and got into this semi-debate with a classmate over whether universal pre-K education is constitutional. He said it wasn't. I wasn't really prepared to debate that, so I mainly gave shrugged responses. So, how is universal pre-K education constitutional?

Of course, if you take that stance, then the moon landing was constitutional.

Clevinger

I sat down outside one of my political classes and got into this semi-debate with a classmate over whether universal pre-K education is constitutional. He said it wasn't. I wasn't really prepared to debate that, so I mainly gave shrugged responses. So, how is universal pre-K education constitutional?

You should have asked him to quote the part in the constitution that bars it.

Because many states raise their wage every year there's a shit ton of examples. cities with higher wages too.

Raising the wage does not lead to higher prices, and in many cases has led to growth in employment
This should just be common sense. If more places are paying a living wage, there's a chance of attracting more people. Someone might pass up a job flipping burgers at McDonald's for 7.25, but when that's bumped up to a livable wage it becomes more appealing.

But no, anything to keep short-term profits high for CEOs.

He was arguing Congress can only do what is specifically listed in the Constitution.
Funny how that always ignores the fact that the Constitution was written hundreds of years ago, before internets.

Landrieu leads potential foes for re-election

There was a time when Jindal probably would have been seen as a slam dunk candidate for Republicans against Mary Landrieu in 2014. But now he actually trails Landrieu 49/41 in a hypothetical match up.

Trailing Landrieu hardly puts Jindal alone among Louisiana Republicans. She leads all seven we tested against her, by margins ranging from 3 to 12 points. Landrieu has a narrowly positive approval rating with 47% of voters giving her good marks to 45% who disapprove. That's up from 41/53 in August of 2010...her numbers are seeing some recovery from their post Obamacare decline.

The Republican who comes closest to Landrieu is Lieutenant Governor Jay Dardenne, who trails just 46/43. Dardenne has a 41/23 favorability rating statewide and is seen positively by both Democrats (43/22) and Republicans (42/25).

We also tested a number of current or former Republicans members of Congress against Landrieu. Charlie Boustany comes the closest with a 6 point deficit at 48/42. He's followed by Jeff Landry who trails 48/39, Steve Scalise who trails 48/38 and Bill Cassidy who trails 50/40, and John Fleming who trails 50/38.
C'mon Senate Democrats, hold the margins in 2014 for a blowout 2016, Hillary supermajority.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What about mandatory schooling, where is that in the constitution?

Funny how that always ignores the fact that the Constitution was written hundreds of years ago, before internets.

I kind of brought that up, but then he argued that that position is a slippery-slope, and we can't just ignore it when it suits our needs. "We're ignoring it. I guess it's not the law of the land anymore!" I brought up the commerce clause, and he said it was ridiculous that just because it relates to the economy ("You can relate almost anything to commerce!") it doesn't mean Congress can do it.

I kind of brought that up, but then he argued that that position is a slippery-slope, and we can't just ignore it when it suits our needs. "We're ignoring it. I guess it's not the law of the land anymore!" I brought up the commerce clause, and he said it was ridiculous that just because it relates to the economy ("You can relate almost anything to commerce!") it doesn't mean Congress can do it.

General Welfare Clause. And as with any normal society things change to suit the needs at of that time. Or why do we still have a third amendment? I don't think we are going to have to quarter soldiers anytime soon. Also, the Constitution mentions nothing about nuclear weapons, but the government does things with those too.

flashback
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/13/brown-president-crazy-sounds-supporters-say/

mysmilie477.png

Pretty sure congress cannot mandate pre-k school. I don't think there is a mandatory school law. Every state has their own. What congress can do is deny a portion of funds to states that don't comply, however.

Can someone explain the difference between the debt and the deficit to me? Or link to a good article?
Deficit is the yearly amount of debt. Debt is total debt or money owed from borrowing for the deficit.

Deficit is spending minus revenues.

Dax - because they have no authority to do so. Schooling powers is reserved to the states. I see no explicit power given that relates to schooling.

Also Obama never argued for mandatory for this reason. He said it should be a avalaible.

Tim-E

Education is almost universally handled at the state level. I'm not well versed in federal education laws/limitation, though. Obama did not say that he'd mandate pre-K, though, he said he'd work with states to do so. Like BM said, Congress could potentially cut off funds to states that don't accept the pre-K expansion, similar to the current Medicaid expansion.

Magni

He was arguing Congress can only do what is specifically listed in the Constitution.

Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 should be all you need to understand that the Constitution is not perfect. It's been amended over twenty times FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom