• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm going on a self-imposed perma-ban, dudes. This place is too much of a timesink and I've got so many other things going on in my life that I could do without checking this forum constantly.

If you want to keep up with me, follow me on Twitter.

These threads have been great. I wish everyone the best. Papa Joe is signing off. He'll be listening to this all day.

Never understood this. I still end up coming here when I'm banned. And I waste time thinking of responses, then realizing I can't respond.

kehs

Banned
Anyone read this opinion article? It's pretty shameful that Politico gives stuff like this the dignity of a front-page posting. IMO, this kind of shit shouldn't be hosted anywhere except Red State and similar organizations.

President Obama's Real Agenda

The media, meanwhile, remain determined to protect the president. Only when they found out, belatedly, that Obama played golf with Tiger Woods did they become angry with the White House for not letting them in on the photo op. They are silent about Obama’s failure to address the nation’s fiscal challenges, his stonewalling on Benghazi, or the refusal of his unqualified Defense nominee to release his records. But a secret golf game with Tiger Woods — that’s beyond the pale.

sweet moses

sweet moses

The media, meanwhile, remain determined to protect the president. Only when they found out, belatedly, that Obama played golf with Tiger Woods did they become angry with the White House for not letting them in on the photo op. They are silent about Obama’s failure to address the nation’s fiscal challenges, his stonewalling on Benghazi, or the refusal of his unqualified Defense nominee to release his records. But a secret golf game with Tiger Woods — that’s beyond the pale.

These are flat out lies. How do they go unchallenged? Its not biased to say, "no, you're lying"

Went to a used book fair today and got a copy of Robert Caro's The Power Broker. Only $4 and in good condition. I haven't read anything of his, but though I should start on the one about Robert Moses instead of the serial on LBJ.

I keep reading a bunch of drivel about how the sequester is Obama's fault because it was his original proposal, or something. To put the sequester blame on Obama, you pretty much have to believe that in the absence of a ridiculous and unnecessary fight over the debt ceiling, Obama and the Democrats would have independently proposed and passed the sequester, which is ridiculous.

It's clear that the blame for the sequester and any economic harm it causes should rest 100% with House Republicans, since the sequester was literally the settlement in a hostage negotiation that they started. Right-wing minds are capable of some gymnastics that would make 14 year old Chinese girls stand in awe.

I keep reading a bunch of drivel about how the sequester is Obama's fault because it was his original proposal, or something. To put the sequester blame on Obama, you pretty much have to believe that in the absence of a ridiculous and unnecessary fight over the debt ceiling, Obama and the Democrats would have independently proposed and passed the sequester, which is ridiculous.

It's clear that the blame for the sequester and any economic harm it causes should rest 100% with House Republicans, since the sequester was literally the settlement in a hostage negotiation that they started. Right-wing minds are capable of some gymnastics that would make 14 year old Chinese girls stand in awe.
Obama deserves some blame for not calling the GOP bluff on the debt ceiling.

If I weren't a junior member, I'd make a thread along the lines of: "Conservative GAF: have the debt ceiling and sequester fights made you less supportive of the Republican Party?" or something like that.

Anyone else (Oblivion) feel like making something along those lines?

Link

The Autumn Wind
If I weren't a junior member, I'd make a thread along the lines of: "Conservative GAF: have the debt ceiling and sequester fights made you less supportive of the Republican Party?" or something like that.

Anyone else (Oblivion) feel like making something along those lines?
It's sad if those are the reasons anyone has become less supportive of the party. That means they were fine with all the obstruction of the past four years, the blatant racism and sexism, and being ok with letting the lesser off suffer to protect the rich and big business.

Yeah, but here you can point to direct consequences of Republican belligerence and economic illiteracy: we lost our AAA credit rating, and a whole bunch of jobs are about to get cut. That's a lot more concrete than the nebulous "racism" that you can just sweep under the rug. Literally the only defense is to defer the blame to Obama and the Democrats, but as I've shown, you can defeat that tactic in two moves.

Piecake

I honestly don't get how Republicans can say the sequester isnt going to be that bad. No, not bad at all, thousands of people will either see their wages or benefits reduced or simply let go. Not a big deal at all of those people who are already struggling struggle some more.

I swear, its as if they completely ignore the individual human element and only focus on the GDP and stock market. Past 40 years, man, look at the GDP and stock market go up! Our economy is doing great! (completely ignores stagnate wages for the middle class and absurd inequality)

I honestly don't get how Republicans can say the sequester isnt going to be that bad. No, not bad at all, thousands of people will either see their wages or benefits reduced or simply let go. Not a big deal at all of those people who are already struggling struggle some more.

I swear, its as if they completely ignore the individual human element and only focus on the GDP and stock market. Past 40 years, man, look at the GDP and stock market go up! Our economy is doing great! (completely ignores stagnate wages for the middle class and absurd inequality)
They'd probably tell them to get a steady job in the private sector, who can afford to keep employees on and hire new ones because they're not constantly under attack by a party opposed to their very existence.

fallagin

When is the new deadline for the debt ceiling again? I forgot the actual date, I haven't been paying to much attention to this considering how depressing this whole thing is. :(

kehs

Banned
So I was watching Contact earlier, and the space time machine cost half a trillion dollars.

It was a big deal.

lol

Republicans=Muslims and US Government=Israel?
That analogy would work better the other way around. Israel treats Muslims (well, Palestinians moreso) like dirt, and if they don't like that, well, they should go somewhere else then. Republicans want to cut public sector jobs, and if public workers have a problem with that, they shouldn't have been working in the public sector to begin with.

It'd be more like how the religious right treats gay people. We love you, truly! However, we also want to prevent you from marrying, holding a job or owning a house. If you can't deal with that, then maybe you shouldn't be gay.

Basically they're making it difficult for the sake of advancing an agenda.

swear, its as if they completely ignore the individual human element and only focus on the GDP and stock market. Past 40 years, man, look at the GDP and stock market go up! Our economy is doing great! (completely ignores stagnate wages for the middle class and absurd inequality)

A lot of people think the stock market is the entirety of the economy. Economic ignorance is widespread. Even amongst educated people.

FyreWulff

It's amusing and depressing at the same time to watch the Republicans both try to take ownership of the cuts and disowning them at the same time. And the journalists won't call them on their shit.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Uh oh. SNL made fun of Obama. Seems Gene Sperling needs to have a "talk" with the writing staff.

kehs

Banned
Boehner getting called out on tax cuts actually being spending.

Awesome sauce.

Boehner has "mountains of data" that lower tax rates spurs growth....

So this was happening today:

‏@repjohnlewis
I was deeply moved and honored to receive the badge of the Montgomery Chief of Police. His apology was truly meaningful #FPI2013

BEcy7ROCIAAtXSY.jpg:large

The Edmund Pettus bridge is bloody Sunday bridge from the Selma to Montgomery marches.

VdJPqpk.jpg

Look at those state rights!

That's John Lewis in that pic too. Who the tweet is from.

On March 7, 1965, an estimated 525 to 600 civil rights marchers headed east out of Selma on U.S. Highway 80. The march was led by John Lewis of SNCC and the Reverend Hosea Williams of SCLC, followed by Bob Mants of SNCC and Albert Turner of SCLC. The protest went smoothly until the marchers crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge and found a wall of state troopers waiting for them on the other side. Sheriff Jim Clark had issued an order for all white males in Dallas County over the age of twenty-one to report to the courthouse that morning to be deputized. Commanding officer John Cloud told the demonstrators to disband at once and go home. Williams tried to speak to the officer, but Cloud curtly informed him there was nothing to discuss. Seconds later, the troopers began shoving the demonstrators. Many were knocked to the ground and beaten with nightsticks. Another detachment of troopers fired tear gas. Mounted troopers charged the crowd on horseback.[9]

Televised images of the brutal attack presented people with horrifying images of marchers left bloodied and severely injured, and roused support for the U.S. civil rights movement. Amelia Boynton was beaten and gassed nearly to death; her photo appeared on the front page of newspapers and news magazines around the world.[10] Seventeen marchers were hospitalized, and the day was nicknamed "Bloody Sunday".
[edit]

Also next year is gonna be the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights act of 64. What a great time for SCOTUS to strike down the voting rights act.

lZN8gr2.jpg

SHOW ME WHERE IN THE CONSTITUTION IS SAYS THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS THE POWER TO STOP THIS STUFF, STATE RIGHTS! WE MUST ASK REMISSIONS FROM LAWYERS FIRST!

Sad that this kind of stuff still seems to go on.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/28/ope...ral_candidates_body_found_homicide_suspected/

Boynton has been involved with the LaRouche movement since the 80s. Pretty depressing.

really? That's weird but its not like it changes the actions of that day and the rest of her life.

Found more info:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20130303/NEWS01/303030025

During a weekend intended to remember and honor the actions of the past, new history was made Saturday when an apology more than 50 years in coming was issued.

U.S. Rep. John Lewis said he was moved to tears when Montgomery police Chief Kevin Murphy not only apologized for police officers’ failure to act during a May 20, 1961, attack on Freedom Riders, but also presented Lewis with the badge off his uniform.

Looking for honest takes.....

Considering we haven't had a budget in his administration along with the sequestration, fiscal cliff and all the other self imposed dilmenas; at what point do democrats says this goes behind Republicans are being difficult and acknowledging that Obama isn't a very good leader?

fallagin

Considering we haven't had a budget in his administration along with the sequestration, fiscal cliff and all the other self imposed dilmenas; at what point do democrats says this goes behind Republicans are being difficult and acknowledging that Obama isn't a very good leader?

He's not the greatest, but he's dealing with an unprecedented bunch of fuck heads in the house. They are free to do whatever they want because they gerrymandered the fuck out of their states. They have no fear of losing their seat to anyone except those who are further to the right than them. It is really incredible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Budgets aren't exactly binding in the first place. They're guidelines toward what actually controls what and how Government taxes and spends: the individual relevant pieces of legislation.

Never, although if he had lost in November the knives would have been out in seconds. The major problem is that republicans will not compromise an inch, that can't be ignored. But it should also be noted that Obama simply is not a leader, isn't good at the inside game, and still doesn't know how to play Washington.

Consider the sequestration. John McCain and Lindsy Graham are on record saying they would support tax revenue in exchange for "entitlement" cuts to replace the sequester; basically they want a grand bargain. Instead of working with them, the WH spends 100% of its time appealing to the GOP leadership (McConnell and Boehner) who have no interest in a deal. A big senate bill with McCain's stamp of approval would pass the senate easily. Boehner would then be forced to put it up for a vote, and with dem support plus less than 20 republican votes it would pass.

I am not saying I support cutting benefits, just acknowledging the political reality that both sides are obsessed with a big deal that cuts the deficit. But it won't happen unless Obama calls up McCain, Graham, and some moderate house republicans to strike a deal. Instead his staff meets with the GOP leadership's staff, they fight, and nothing gets done. Bill Clinton or even Joe Biden could get this done.

750k people will lose their jobs over this shit, for nothing. Given Obama's obsession with history, you'd think he would realize that creating jobs and avoiding a double dip recession look good on a president's resume.

Chichikov

Boynton has been involved with the LaRouche movement since the 80s. Pretty depressing.
James Meredith broke hard right too.
It doesn't bother me, those people did great service to this country at a great personal price, they deserve our gratitude, now it's true, it's not a get out of jail card against any future transgressions, but it's enough to cover "not agreeing with me about general politics".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom