• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice whenever I take a long time explaining reality to conservatives (or worse yet, libertarians) they ALWAYS respond with a short 1-2 sentence just like what makingmusic476 posted. Or they'll say "I agree, but -" at which point they say something that clearly doesn't agree with anything I just said.
Typical liberal propaganda. When are you commies gonna learn.

So, the type of medicine dictates whether they can profit or not? You can take this a step further. People do profit off of the hungry. They can't even get AIDS meds in certain places because of lol profits.
I don't think for-profit means taking advantage. Then we would have a lot of questions to answer. Profits on insurance cuz they know one of you will get into a terrible accident.

I don't see for-profit being inherently wrong. Hell, to survive and continue to provide a service, it almost seems like they have to be 'for-profit'.

Any for-profit entity must place making a profit as its first priority. That means that any for-profit entity cannot make curing cancer patients its first priority. I would never go to a for-profit cancer center if I had cancer. I would want the institution to which I go to make helping me its first priority.

Well ask him where he thinks all the dollars that now exist came from if they did not exist in 1776 (when they did not exist).

What is even more scary is that many of these dollars are PRIVATELY created through fractional reserve banking . . . and that is even more scary than the just the government printing money.

Well, banks only leverage the government's currency, they don't net create it. Every loan a bank makes has a corresponding liability. When a bank loan gets paid back, the money it leveraged (or "created") gets destroyed. Only the government can add dollars into the system. And, specifically, only the Treasury can do so by spending them into it. The "debt" is just a running tally of how much it has net created.

Jooney

Some dude posted that picture comparing the US budget to a household budget on Facebook with the caption "sums it up perfectly", to which I responded:

To which he responded:

I saw that image on my facebook feed too, and I was going to reply to it, but then I thought "Man, I have better things to do on a saturday".

Best decision I made all day.

Don't waste your time with these "fiscal conservatives of convenience". Not a peep was heard from those people when unfunded tax cuts for the rich, two wars, a prescription drug program, and a massive homeland security apparatus was thrown on the credit card whose limit was raised without condition.

Posted this:

In that case, could you please, in your own words, explain the debt ceiling to me? Rather, could you explain how it came to be, why it is a threshold we should not cross, and what will happen if we cross it?

For the sake of my own curiosity. I'd genuinely like to know your perspective.

Often my greatest insights occur to me late at night, and I just had one. I'm in bed on my iPod and read through some takes on Obama lobbying his state to adopt gay marriage...when I thought what if this is the WH plan to roll out the Hagel nomination? He's being slammed by progressives due to his anti-gay views, and perhaps this move on gay marriage is a pre-emptive move to excite the base before dropping the boom.

Gay power brokers spent a lot of money to get Obama re-elected, I doubt they want to see his first move be to nominate someone who clearly has or had a problem with gay people. Personally helping get gay marriage passed in Illinois would erase any disappointment.

So . . . aren't they proving that Hagel had a point?
Wow! Wow, wow, wow! I cannot believe the irony. These people are disgusting.

Edit: So he supports dialogue with Iran and Hamas? What the hell we need him in charge if he's going to act on that.

Edit: Any word on when Hillary is going to testify?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Any for-profit entity must place making a profit as its first priority. That means that any for-profit entity cannot make curing cancer patients its first priority. I would never go to a for-profit cancer center if I had cancer. I would want the institution to which I go to make helping me its first priority.
More to the pont, for-profit healthcare represents a conflict of interest, as the goal of good medicine is to lose customers to wellness and reduce sales whle doing so.

RDreamer

Some dude posted that picture comparing the US budget to a household budget on Facebook with the caption "sums it up perfectly", to which I responded:

To which he responded:

Yeah, I get responses like that a lot. It's like their brain can't process it, but they know it's wrong and they're afraid.

My cousin stopped responding to that facebook page the other day after I posted:

Greece gave up their monetary sovereignty. We are in no way shape or form anything even remotely close to Greece. We can't go broke. Literally. Our debt is in our own currency, which we still control.

Credit rating gets destroyed when you stop paying it back, which is precisely what not raising the debt ceiling is doing. (people won't put their money in bonds if they won't get their money back, obviously) It's ruining the credit rating for no reason. We have no problem paying it back. In fact we can never not have the ability to pay it back, because, again, we have monetary sovereignty. Thus, the worry with our currency has nothing to do with our debt. It has everything to do with inflation and unemployment. These are the two indicators we need to focus on. When inflation is low and unemployment is high, we need to spend more. When demand is low we need to spend more.

In addition to this we can "borrow" at the lowest rates in history. Fear over potential economic problems have caused many people to flee to the safe bond markets of almost every country in control of their own currency, making borrowing rates drop. The markets are essentially begging the United States to borrow more – offering real negative interest rates over a ten-year horizon. The US can use that borrowed money to jumpstart hiring and make a significant dent in the jobless rate. And they can pay back the money, again, AT A NEGATIVE INTEREST RATE, adjusted for inflation. There's no excuse to cut spending now. People are practically begging us to take their money and spend it, and you're arguing that at some future point people not only won't beg us, they'll actively charge us a metric ton to do it. It's a boogie man scenario with no actual basis in reality.

Traditionally, no, it doesn't really get paid for, at least not the traditional way. You grow the economy enough that the debt is a much smaller part of it. The problem comes when you shrink the economy, and cutting spending a lot right now would factually shrink the economy. You spend more now in order to kick start and grow it so that the debt we're putting on now doesn't matter much. Our debt to GDP ratio is only a large problem because our GDP is lower from the recession (and revenue is lower from it, too). Once we get to full employment and a larger inflation rate, then yes, you cut spending, because then it is a problem. Now it is not.

But his friend just posted "wow" afterwards.

dabig2

These guys really thought Obama would cave again..

He was always going to get tax rate increases Graham. No matter how much bafoonery you people engaged in.

The only question is if he gives up relevant concessions to you idiots for something he was always getting free...

What's wrong with that strategy? I think a majority of the people will support it, especially after the latest incidents, and it will cushion the backlash of those screaming "He's taking our guns!"
Oh, nothing is wrong with the strategy, I just didn't like the way he worded it, I know what he meant but it comes off as him saying "Till you guys tell me to do something about it, I'm not doing anything about it."

But alas, semantics and all that jazz.

Obama said:
The only thing I would caution against, David, is I think this notion of, "Well, both sides are just kind of unwilling to cooperate." And that's just not true. I mean if you look at the facts, what you have is a situation here where the Democratic Party, warts and all, and certainly me, warts and all, have consistently done our best to try to put country first.

And to try to work with everybody involved to make sure that we've got an economy [that] grows. Make sure that it works for everybody. Make sure that we're keeping the country safe. And does the Democratic Party still have some knee-jerk ideological positions and are there some folks in the Democratic Party who sometimes aren't reasonable? Of course. That's true of every political party.

But generally if you look at how I've tried to govern over the last four years and how I'll continue to try to govern, I'm not driven by some ideological agenda. I am a pretty practical guy. And I just want to make sure that things work. And one of the nice things about never having another election again, I will never campaign again, is I think you can rest assured that all I care about is making sure that I leave behind an America that is stronger, more prosperous, more stable, more secure than it was when I came into office.

Bu bu PD said!!!

Chichikov

Oh, nothing is wrong with the strategy, I just didn't like the way he worded it, I know what he meant but it comes off as him saying "Till you guys tell me to do something about it, I'm not doing anything about it."

But alas, semantics and all that jazz.
I think it comes mostly from the sensationalist title Think Progress picked.
He said specifically that he's going to put forward a proposal and he's going to push for it.
He's also correct in saying that this will never get passed unless there's a strong public support for it.
Hey! He had another Great Insight™ last night. Stop trying to undermine him.
What if he was also wrong about Zelda music?
inceptionbear.gif

Mike M

Nick N
I onced watched Scott Pilgrim with lady friend, which features Zelda music, and got laid later that night. You might be on to something...
If only we knew this seven years ago, we could have all been upping our game with the ladies/fellas by blasting Zelda music.

RDreamer

Graham also said something today while talking about Obama's political victory that "We have not taken steps to not become Greece." Herp derp.

I really wonder if some of these people really think that. I know some politicians are just using this debt shit to cut social programs, but others.... I mean does Lindsey really not see any difference at all between us and Greece and the monetary system? Also does he not see anything at all in the effects of Greece implementing austerity and how well that worked?

Eric_S

Yeah, I get responses like that a lot. It's like their brain can't process it, but they know it's wrong and they're afraid.

My cousin stopped responding to that facebook page the other day after I posted:

But his friend just posted "wow" afterwards.

Just as a note in the margin, Greece might very well had big problems regardless if they had their own currency.

(Devaluing ones currency, and leaning on inflation to reduce ones debt does interesting things to your bonds if you're in Greeces position.)

RDreamer

Blimey, the MMT bandwagon has really taken control, here, eh?

I guess you're all for Austerity on state budgets then, right?

Because states are users of the currency rather than issuers, yes I'm more "conservative" when it comes to state budgets in that they should be more careful not to overspend and at most times be balanced. That said, I think during a recessionary time you should be careful not to cut too much demand, because then you start shrinking your economy. Then your revenue goes down from the shrink, and your debt goes up. So, if you can cut a few things here and there that don't affect demand too terribly much, then that's good. If it affects those in the poor and middle class, though, it'll likely affect demand quite a bit.

It's very situational, really. If you can spend a bit more, but know that it'll pull you out of a recessionary period quicker, then I would support it. That's like putting money down on a car that could help you go to work when you're out of a job. Yes perhaps you can't "afford it" right at that moment, but it'll get you to a place where you can.

I also support federal spending to help states so they don't have to go through these things quite as much, and when a state gets that support they should absolutely not turn it down like some dumbass governors did (Scott Walker).

Chichikov

Graham also said something today while talking about Obama's political victory that "We have not taken steps to not become Greece." Herp derp.

I really wonder if some of these people really think that. I know some politicians are just using this debt shit to cut social programs, but others.... I mean does Lindsey really not see any difference at all between us and Greece and the monetary system? Also does he not see anything at all in the effects of Greece implementing austerity and how well that worked?
Maybe crazy idiots like Bachmann, but not establishment Republicans.
Just look at what George Bush said after 9/11 and when the economy was getting ready to tank in '07 - he was pretty much saying to the American public - "shop more".
Liberals were all like "zomg consumerism" but it's a strict Keynesian solution, Hayek would've advocated increased savings and paying off your household debt.
So yeah, when push came to shove, even the most Austrian president we ever had found his inner Keynes, that should really tell you everything you need to know.

It's starving the beast, that's all it ever was.

Is this in response to someone in specific?
Because I see mostly classical Keynesian posts here (which is what used to be call "mainstream economic theory" up until pretty damn recently).

RDreamer

Maybe crazy idiots like Bachmann, but not establishment Republicans.
Just look at what George Bush said after 9/11 and when the economy was getting ready to tank in '07 - he was pretty much saying to the American public - "shop more".
Liberals were all like "zomg consumerism" but it's a strict Keynesian solution, Hayek would've advocated increased savings and paying off your household debt.
So yeah, when push came to shove, even the most Austrian president we ever had found his inner Keynes, that should really tell you everything you need to know.

It's starving the beast, that's all it ever was.

Yeah, I could tell Romney was definitely in that camp. He advocated Keynesian policies, but had to placate the tea party base and kind of reform the policies around what might be palatable for them (weaponized Keynesianism!).

I still get confused from time to time, though, on who's actually a true believer in this stuff and who is just using it because the big scary debt number is now big and scary enough that they can win elections and arguments based on it.

I still think this was one of the weirder things to watch play out over the last elections, too. Largely the republican base doesn't understand and actively goes against normal economics to the point where people running for office have to also parrot those dumb views. It comes across even weirder than parroting dumb social views, because at least those are kind of subjective in a minor way.

Is this in response to someone in specific?
Because I see mostly classical Keynesian posts here (which is what used to be call "mainstream economic theory" up until pretty damn recently).

Keynes wasn't a Chartalist, though. Indeed, he actively considered himself to be a classical liberal, something which Hayek was confused about during their letter debates. He suggested using deficits to increase demand, but not that this was universally possible, or that the government "can't run out of money you yourself create" as has been said at least once on this page of this thread. Whilst tautologically true, it's basically irrelevant. I can't run out of CyclopsRock dollars either, but if no one wants them, they're useless. the US economy is large and powerful, but only a fool would suggest that deficits literally don't matter, which appears to be the logical extension of the "you can't run out of money you print" argument, nor did he advocate removal of the bond system.

Likewise, to the "they're basically paying us to take their money!" re: negative interest rates, that's true, and only a silly billy - be they private or public - would ignore an offer like that. It's worth noting, though, that by far the single largest holder (and increasing, not decreasing, as a share of debt - up almost 3x in the last decade) of US bonds is the US government itself. This has the benefit of pushing down the interest rates of the other, foreign holders (as well as domesticate ones like pension funds which, obviously, suffer from negative interest rates), but also means that those arms of the US governments that buy its own bonds will lose out when they get them repaid at negative interest rates. Given this is such a large portion of the debt, the perceived gains from this negative interest rate is significantly lower than it appears on the surface.

But, further to this, it seems that this is offered an argument to continue with public spending. The problem with this is that, short of building a lot of infrastructure, this encourages the production of structural deficits - which, again, when you're having other people pay you to take their money is OK, but structural deficits aren't easy to remove. If you do take a look at Greece (and I'm not drawing a comparison with the US here, but we can all learn lessons), it used debt to bolster it's GDP for about a decade. It's GDP rose almost exactly in line with its debt for its first decade in the Euro - so the economy itself really didn't grow at all. Its wages also rose in real terms, as well as its public welfare programmes etc. The problem is that it wasn't actually producing any more - indeed, it's increased wages actually caused its international competitiveness to go down. Its started cutting now - which has had disasterous effects on its economy - and it's GDP has fallen, but it still hasn't fallen as far as it grew since it's adoption of the Euro; A place it'll inevitably end up in, as it's real economy has not grown in that time. This highlights the problem is using temporarily cheap credit (as Greece's was from the ECB, after their own high rates with the drachma) to fund not infrastructural projects, but ones that need constant payments - that credit won't always be there. A better use for the money, therefore, in my view, is to either earmark specific parts of it to specific bits of infrastructure, or to fund tax cuts to the lowest paid (and then work your way up - in the UK now, anyone earning under about $14k doesn't pay any income tax at all, and that ceiling is going up still). These both have the effect of increasing demand without offering long term liabilities to the government which do real harm when they are later removed.

GhaleonEB

Often my greatest insights occur to me late at night, and I just had one. I'm in bed on my iPod and read through some takes on Obama lobbying his state to adopt gay marriage...when I thought what if this is the WH plan to roll out the Hagel nomination? He's being slammed by progressives due to his anti-gay views, and perhaps this move on gay marriage is a pre-emptive move to excite the base before dropping the boom.

Gay power brokers spent a lot of money to get Obama re-elected, I doubt they want to see his first move be to nominate someone who clearly has or had a problem with gay people. Personally helping get gay marriage passed in Illinois would erase any disappointment.

While it's possible there's a political calculus at play as you described, my thinking is it has more to do with Obama's understanding of how social change happens. I wish I could find it, but Obama has laid it out pretty clearly in a few interviews early in his term. He's less interested in getting engaged in a big national debate than simply presiding over a gradual change, and helping to move the dial a bit as it happens. The gradual roll out of regulations and such supportive of gay rights through his first term is consistant with that approach, slowly making it the norm. His "evolution" which coincided with the turn in popular opinion, which helped move it further, is another.

And he knows that as more and more states allow gay marriage, it will become increasingly accepted as the norm; at some point the SCOTUS will step in and make it national. I think he's just trying to help that process along as opportunity allows.

WASHINGTON -- As 2012 comes to a close, the 112th Congress is set to go down in American history as the most unproductive session since the 1940s.

According to a Huffington Post review of all the bills that hit President Barack Obama's desk this session, Obama has signed 219 bills passed by the 112th Congress into law. With less than a week to go in the year, there are currently another 20 bills pending presidential action. In comparison, the last Congress passed 383 bills, while the one before it passed 460.

The 104th Congress (1995-1996) currently holds the ignominious distinction of being the least productive session of Congress, according to the U.S. House Clerk's Office, which has records going back to 1947. Just 333 bills became law during that two-year period, meaning the 112th Congress needs to send nearly 100 more bills to Obama's desk in the next few days if it wants to avoid going down in history -- an unlikely prospect, considering that both chambers are squarely focused on averting the "fiscal cliff" before the new year.

The 112th Congress has done far less than the 80th Congress (1947-1948), which President Harry Truman infamously dubbed the "Do-Nothing Congress." Those lawmakers passed 906 bills that became law.

While Obama has signed several pieces of large, consequential legislation in the past two years -- such as sanctions on Iran and the National Defense Authorization Act, allowing the indefinite detention of terrorism suspects without charge -- many of the bills passed by Congress have been small and noncontroversial.

At least 40 bills, including ones awaiting Obama's signature, concerned the renaming of post offices or other public buildings. Another six dealt with commemorative coins.

Meanwhile, significant pieces of legislation that have traditionally received bipartisan support -- such as the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act -- have been blocked.

House Republicans have also held votes to repeal Obamacare more than 30 times since gaining control of the chamber in 2011, despite the fact that such a measure has no chance of passing the Democratically controlled Senate or being signed by Obama.

When asked for comment on the record of the 112th Congress, Adam Jentleson, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), pointed to the 115 times the Republican minority has held up a bill's passage by threatening to filibuster it. House Speaker John Boehner's (R-Ohio) office did not return a request for comment.

The lack of bipartisanship in Congress has been lost on no one. In April, Thomas Mann of the left-leaning Brookings Institution and Norm Ornstein of the conservative American Enterprise Institute published a Washington Post op-ed saying that the GOP deserves the blame for the dysfunction.

"We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional," they wrote. "In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party."

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) also cited the hyper-partisan, unproductive atmosphere of Congress when she announced her retirement in February.

"[W]hat I have had to consider is how productive an additional term would be. Unfortunately, I do not realistically expect the partisanship of recent years in the Senate to change over the short term," she said. "So at this stage of my tenure in public service, I have concluded that I am not prepared to commit myself to an additional six years in the Senate, which is what a fourth term would entail."

Congress' approval rating currently stands at 18 percent.

Congrats GOP. You're the worst Congress in Generations.

States are financially constrained because, as RDreamer said, they are mere users of the federal governments currency. That doesn't mean anybody supports "austerity" for them, although it does mean that their spending is limited by their revenue and borrowing capacity.

I also support federal spending to help states so they don't have to go through these things quite as much, and when a state gets that support they should absolutely not turn it down like some dumbass governors did (Scott Walker).

This is exactly how a state government's revenue can be boosted when its tax revenues fall, e.g., as a result of an economic recession. The state government's spending is limited to its revenue, but its revenue is not limited to tax collection, because the federal government is another source of revenue. The federal government is obligated to backstop state governments and has bailed out various state governments many times with nary a peep from other state governments. (See, e.g., every natural disaster.) Note that this could be a potential solution to the Eurozone mess, but it would require restructuring their system to provide for a more powerful federal entity. Germany whines about bailing out Greece (despite the fact that Greece's use of the Euro was a boon to Germany), but New York did not whine about bailing out Texas after the Savings and Loan crisis.

One of the reasons our unemployment rate is so high currently is because the federal government failed to satisfy its obligations to bail out state governments during this last recession. Had it done so, unemployment would be a couple points lower than it is now.

RDreamer

Keynes wasn't a Chartalist, though. Indeed, he actively considered himself to be a classical liberal, something which Hayek was confused about during their letter debates. He suggested using deficits to increase demand, but not that this was universally possible, or that the government "can't run out of money you yourself create" as has been said at least once on this page of this thread. Whilst tautologically true, it's basically irrelevant. I

Well, it can't. The thing is that this is a counter argument to the statement "We will run out of money." We can't. Period. It's not irrelevant when the conversation is focused on whether we do or do not have that specific money, and people who say we don't point to the debt and deficit as proof.

Basically you need to think of "the government can't run out of money you yourself create" statement as something intended to get the conversation back on the tautologically correct track. If we're arguing about things that are untrue, then we've strayed and our arguments hold no real weight. If we accept the government cannot run out of money that they create, though, then we're starting from a basis of truth and we can further examine the real problem that may indeed happen if the government overprints its money. Correctly arguing in the basis of reality is never irrelevant.

I can't run out of CyclopsRock dollars either, but if no one wants them, they're useless. the US economy is large and powerful, but only a fool would suggest that deficits literally don't matter, which appears to be the logical extension of the "you can't run out of money you print" argument.

That is not really the logical extension at all, at least I think what you're saying isn't. People who seem to dislike or fear MMT seem to have this notion that "deficits don't matter" means we can print forever and ever without regard to anything at all. That is not the case. Deficits (i.e. the specific amount we spend in surplus of what we take in) doesn't matter, true. But what does matter is what we spend in relation to inflation and unemployment. Those are your barometers, not a specific deficit number. I.e. if we're in a good economic time, and things are booming, inflation is slightly high and we have full employment a very high deficit could very well push us over the edge to higher inflation, and that would be bad.

So, deficits matter, because spending matters in relation to other things. Most people who know MMT say this and know this. The reason people seem to be confused on this issue is that we're bringing it up during a time when, seriously, deficits are not a bad thing. Our barometers indicate that we need a larger deficit right now, not a lower one. That is right now, though, not forever on in perpetuity.

Chichikov

Keynes wasn't a Chartalist, though. Indeed, he actively considered himself to be a classical liberal, something which Hayek was confused about during their letter debates. He suggested using deficits to increase demand, but not that this was universally possible, or that the government "can't run out of money you yourself create" as has been said at least once on this page of this thread. Whilst tautologically true, it's basically irrelevant. I can't run out of CyclopsRock dollars either, but if no one wants them, they're useless. the US economy is large and powerful, but only a fool would suggest that deficits literally don't matter, which appears to be the logical extension of the "you can't run out of money you print" argument, nor did he advocate removal of the bond system.
I'm not aware of any economic discipline that argues that the government can't increase the money supply in a fiat currency system, nor am I aware of any such theory that claim that overall money supply has no effect on the economy.
This has nothing to do with MMT.

Likewise, to the "they're basically paying us to take their money!" re: negative interest rates, that's true, and only a silly billy - be they private or public - would ignore an offer like that. It's worth noting, though, that by far the single largest holder (and increasing, not decreasing, as a share of debt - up almost 3x in the last decade) of US bonds is the US government itself. This has the benefit of pushing down the interest rates of the other, foreign holders (as well as domesticate ones like pension funds which, obviously, suffer from negative interest rates), but also means that those arms of the US governments that buy its own bonds will lose out when they get them repaid at negative interest rates. Given this is such a large portion of the debt, the perceived gains from this negative interest rate is significantly lower than it appears on the surface.

But, further to this, it seems that this is offered an argument to continue with public spending. The problem with this is that, short of building a lot of infrastructure, this encourages the production of structural deficits - which, again, when you're having other people pay you to take their money is OK, but structural deficits aren't easy to remove. If you do take a look at Greece (and I'm not drawing a comparison with the US here, but we can all learn lessons), it used debt to bolster it's GDP for about a decade. It's GDP rose almost exactly in line with its debt for its first decade in the Euro - so the economy itself really didn't grow at all. Its wages also rose in real terms, as well as its public welfare programmes etc. The problem is that it wasn't actually producing any more - indeed, it's increased wages actually caused its international competitiveness to go down. Its started cutting now - which has had disasterous effects on its economy - and it's GDP has fallen, but it still hasn't fallen as far as it grew since it's adoption of the Euro; A place it'll inevitably end up in, as it's real economy has not grown in that time. This highlights the problem is using temporarily cheap credit (as Greece's was from the ECB, after their own high rates with the drachma) to fund not infrastructural projects, but ones that need constant payments - that credit won't always be there. A better use for the money, therefore, in my view, is to either earmark specific parts of it to specific bits of infrastructure, or to fund tax cuts to the lowest paid (and then work your way up - in the UK now, anyone earning under about $14k doesn't pay any income tax at all, and that ceiling is going up still). These both have the effect of increasing demand without offering long term liabilities to the government which do real harm when they are later removed.
You're arguing against Keynesian economics here, which is fine, but once again, this has nothing to do with MMT specifically, this is the old countercyclical vs. procyclical argument.

I'm not aware of any economic discipline that argues that the government can't increase the money supply in a fiat currency system, nor am I aware of any such theory that claim that overall money supply has no effect on the economy.
This has nothing to do with MMT.

You're arguing against Keynesian economics here, which is fine, but once again, this has nothing to do with MMT specifically, this is the old countercyclical vs. procyclical argument.

Both these paragraphs are linked, though. They're both true, but MMT'ers interpretation of money supply and fiat currencies entirely informs what appears to be their consensus view on Keynesian stimulus - which is understandable, as the cost of borrowing is a big part (though obviously not all of) the arguments against Keynesian stimulus. I often see those agreeing with MMT say that there's nothing about MMT that specifically demands public spending - MMT is primarily concerned with money supply, after all, and it's offered that what you do with that money is up to you, be it public spending or tax cuts (which is basically what I was advocating in that bottom paragraph) - yet no one ever seems to do the the latter, only the former. And of course, a big part of the MMT theory on maintaining the value of a currency comes from the governments ability to force its citizens to pay tax in US Dollars, which means that it's fairly difficult to advocate MMT policies without also advocating Keynesian ones.

First, on Keynes:

The State, therefore, comes in first of all as the authority of law which enforces the payment of the thing which corresponds to the name or description in the contracts. But it comes in doubly when, in addition, it claims the right to determine and declare what thing corresponds to the name, and to vary its declaration from time to time--when, that is to say, it claims the right to re-edit the dictionary. This right is claimed by all modern states and has been so claimed for some four thousand years at least. ... [T]he Age of Chartalist or State Money was reached when the state claimed the right not only to enforce the dictionary but also to write the dictionary.

From Keynes's A Treatise on Money.

Second, the proposition "you can't run out of money" is not equivalent to the proposition "the amount of money you create and spend has no consequence." The first is true. The second is not. Accordingly, the relevant questions are (1) what are the consequences of creating and spending too much money; and (2) how do we know when too much money is created and spent?

People like you just point to the very existence of money creation itself (deficit) and say: too much. It's a totally ridiculous argument that doesn't even require further rebuttal. If we are to be serious about this subject matter, then we must investigate the two questions above.

If the US government owes itself so much debt, one ought to recognize that debt as totally illusory. I can talk about the debt that my left hand owes to my right hand, but it'd be a stupid thing to account for.

The irony of talking about US bonds as debt is that US dollars, themselves, are debt. A bond is a debt instrument that just replaces another debt instrument.

But, further to this, it seems that this is offered an argument to continue with public spending. The problem with this is that, short of building a lot of infrastructure, this encourages the production of structural deficits - which, again, when you're having other people pay you to take their money is OK, but structural deficits aren't easy to remove. If you do take a look at Greece (and I'm not drawing a comparison with the US here, but we can all learn lessons), it used debt to bolster it's GDP for about a decade. It's GDP rose almost exactly in line with its debt for its first decade in the Euro - so the economy itself really didn't grow at all. Its wages also rose in real terms, as well as its public welfare programmes etc. The problem is that it wasn't actually producing any more - indeed, it's increased wages actually caused its international competitiveness to go down.

The bolded statements are economically diametrically opposed. Both cannot be true.

FyreWulff

While it's possible there's a political calculus at play as you described, my thinking is it has more to do with Obama's understanding of how social change happens. I wish I could find it, but Obama has laid it out pretty clearly in a few interviews early in his term. He's less interested in getting engaged in a big national debate than simply presiding over a gradual change, and helping to move the dial a bit as it happens. The gradual roll out of regulations and such supportive of gay rights through his first term is consistant with that approach, slowly making it the norm. His "evolution" which coincided with the turn in popular opinion, which helped move it further, is another.

And he knows that as more and more states allow gay marriage, it will become increasingly accepted as the norm; at some point the SCOTUS will step in and make it national. I think he's just trying to help that process along as opportunity allows.

Part of the reason I voted for him again was his steady stance on DADT. He could have very well easily EO'd it away, but he took the smart route of "just wait a bit longer" and let the courts repeal it. Gave it a better foundation to build off of and stopped kicking the DADT repeal can down the road for another conservative president to undo.

It was agonizing for that period of time, but was a much better way for future progress.

RDreamer

Both these paragraphs are linked, though. They're both true, but MMT'ers interpretation of money supply and fiat currencies entirely informs what appears to be their consensus view on Keynesian stimulus - which is understandable, as the cost of borrowing is a big part (though obviously not all of) the arguments against Keynesian stimulus. I often see those agreeing with MMT say that there's nothing about MMT that specifically demands public spending - MMT is primarily concerned with money supply, after all, and it's offered that what you do with that money is up to you, be it public spending or tax cuts (which is basically what I was advocating in that bottom paragraph) - yet no one ever seems to do the the latter, only the former. And of course, a big part of the MMT theory on maintaining the value of a currency comes from the governments ability to force its citizens to pay tax in US Dollars, which means that it's fairly difficult to advocate MMT policies without also advocating Keynesian ones.

Technically yes cutting taxes and public spending are in the same sort of category as tools to spur economic development. I think the reason that you don't see so many people advocating cutting taxes is that if you do an across the board tax cut you are mainly giving a lot of money to the already well off. It tends to skew things. If your primary concern is demand in a recessionary time you have to skew your spending and cuts toward what will give you the most demand. Tax cuts aren't that thing. Spending increases on things like infrastructure are much better, because you absolutely know that money will be spent here on people in the US, and thus it affects demand a bit more. The other thing is that a lot of other governmental programs and spending that we'd say to increase primarily help lower class people who tend to spend all of their money and affect demand more. Last, things like education spending and things like that are good because that's an investment. That more educated populace will help you later on, too, when they can perhaps invent new things and come up with new businesses. And spending on renewable energy tends to both help local economies (because you can't really import wind energy) and helps us secure the future.

So, there are plenty of reasons people tend to gravitate more toward spending that cuts at this point. We've tried the cuts under Bush, and they largely didn't work that well. We also now have some of our lowest rates in history already. You're reaching the point of diminishing returns on that.

And on top of that I personally believe at this moment it's far more palatable to cut spending, whatever it is, than to raise taxes. People will almost always fucking hate raising taxes. It's a hard as hell thing to get done, and thus I'm really apprehensive about lowering it any further, because it just won't be going back up even when we need it to.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yes. I assumed the bits bolded about the number of laws being passed were relevant.

What about the other parts were previous bipartisan bills that never ever Had trouble getting through congress have been blocked?

Stuff like the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act?

Is it right to assume you only read the bolded?

You also don't seem to have a problem that a significant number of bills passed have been about renaming/naming post offices and crap? How how much wasted time the House has spent on 'repealing Obamacare?'

You see no problems with any of it?

This congress has been literally the least productive congress since the 40's and bar none, one of the worst as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom