• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
There's no question that Chuck Hagel has a troubling record on gay rights and needs to answer for it, but I somehow doubt that whoever funded the cash-strapped Log Cabin Republicans' full-page NYT ad against him is that concerned about those issues.
As long as Hagel implements the current policy and treats everyone with dignity, I don't think it should ruin his chances at the nomination. It's not surprising, though, that Republicans are trying to make him appear unpalatable to progressives, even if it's a disgusting tactic. It's telling that they're more "concerned" with this issue than Steve Clemons or Andrew Sullivan.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm watching hardball right now, and it's hard to imagine exactly why so many people are scared of this so called fiscal cliff. Chris Matthews is literally acting as if on January the first the country will fall back into recession. He makes it seem as if the stock market will fall back 10 percent in 1 week and never make most of those losses back once a deal is struck next month.

the dude needs to just chill out. A deal will get done within the next month. It's not really that serious, unless you believe that everybody in Washington is literally the dumbest person on the planet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm watching hardball right now, and it's hard to imagine exactly why so many people are scared of this so called fiscal cliff. Chris Matthews is literally acting as if on January the first the country will fall back into recession. He makes it seem as if the stock market will fall back 10 percent in 1 week and never make most of those losses back once a deal is struck next month.

the dude needs to just chill out. A deal will get done within the next month. It's not really that serious, unless you believe that everybody in Washington is literally the dumbest person on the planet.

Maybe not ALL of them, but at least half.

mckmas8808

I have bad news for you...

Come on man, the Republicans will not and I repeat will not allow the next Congress to be sworn in to office and pass a more liberal bill then what could pass today. That's just not going to happen. Again unless they are some of the dumbest people on the planet and. And I don't think they are that dumb.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Come on man, the Republicans will not and I repeat will not allow the next Congress to be sworn in to office and pass a more liberal bill then what could pass today. That's just not going to happen. Again unless they are some of the dumbest people on the planet and. And I don't think they are that dumb.

This is the same bunch of guys that thought defaulting on our debt was a good idea. I take nothing for granted.

A tax increase on the threshold of 1 million couldn't get through the House. There's no sort of tax increase that can pass with that bunch under these circumstances. Based on that, I don't think McConnell is gonna leave himself out to dry because Boehner hasn't been shown he'll bring a bill to the floor on the basis of vote-however-you-want.

It's going to take going over the cliff.

RDreamer

This is the same bunch of guys that thought defaulting on our debt was a good idea. I take nothing for granted.

Seriously. I hate being this cynical, but at this point congress (especially Republicans) have done nothing to demonstrate their intelligence to me. I mean the very thing we're all afraid of, this fiscal cliff, was created by congress itself. They are that dumb.

mckmas8808

Seriously. I hate being this cynical, but at this point congress (especially Republicans) have done nothing to demonstrate their intelligence to me. I mean the very thing we're all afraid of, this fiscal cliff, was created by congress itself. They are that dumb.

But the question is are they so dumb that they won't even pass a bill after we fall off the cliff, but before the next Congress starts their session?

A tax increase on the threshold of 1 million couldn't get through the House. There's no sort of tax increase that can pass with that bunch under these circumstances. Based on that, I don't think McConnell is gonna leave himself out to dry because Boehner hasn't been shown he'll bring a bill to the floor on the basis of vote-however-you-want.

It's going to take going over the cliff.

I'm still going to say we're not going over the cliff. That Reid/McConnell will get a deal and Pelosi will promise Boehner the Dem votes in the House to pass it. Call me crazy but that is where I think this is going.

RDreamer

But the question is are they so dumb that they won't even pass a bill after we fall off the cliff, but before the next Congress starts their session?

Well, I'd certainly hope not, but as of now they've flown past almost every "are they so dumb that they won't even do X" test we've had.

mckmas8808

I'm still going to say we're not going over the cliff. That Reid/McConnell will get a deal and Pelosi will promise Boehner the Dem votes in the House to pass it. Call me crazy but that is where I think this is going.

sorry man, but I think you're crazy.

Well, I'd certainly hope not, but as of now they've flown past almost every "are they so dumb that they won't even do X" test we've had.

lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I don't think McConnell will deal, it'll come down to Reid having to push a bill through and Pelosi and Boehner making an agreement for it to pass the house.

This is what scares me. Eventually we'll reach a point where something catastrophic will happen and the idea that they won't do the right thing in that sort of situation scares me. Right now for me it's either laugh or cry and I chose to laugh.

I really wish the party of governance and the party of reckless gerrymandered supported bullshit could meet somewhere in the middle on this debt crisis. Where is our serious savior to stop the fiscal cliff from ballooning the deficit to untold levels? Are any CEOs available to make emergency visits to Washington?

Mike M

Nick N
Anyone got a link to that YouTube video with the guy talking ridiculously fast to explain why the debt isn't that big of a deal?

483386_512127415476630_1490540582_n.jpg

Facebook.

Someone just fucking shoot me now.

Hey guys and girls, contributor on CNN from WSJ just argued we should extend ALL Bush tax cuts for another year and deal with ending them NEXT year. What a revolutionary idea! What a new suggestion. SURELY the GOP would be MORE than willing to let the cuts end in 2014, the year of mid terms.

Someone shoot me. My goodness.

How are you people friends with these people on Facebook? I grew up in the deep south and never saw this kind of stupidity. Yes they're all religious and stupid when it comes to politics but goddammit you guys find the worst.

Hey guys and girls, contributor on CNN from WSJ just argued we should extend ALL Bush tax cuts for another year and deal with ending them NEXT year. What a revolutionary idea! What a new suggestion. SURELY the GOP would be MORE than willing to let the cuts end in 2014, the year of mid terms.

Someone shoot me. My goodness.
You know guys, let's not even have the debate. Let's for now just pass the Republican agenda, verbatim, and we can deal with you wussy ass democRats later.

Next, I'll talk about why Democrats cheat on their wives.

lol still can't believe they never passed a tax cut for 250k and under. And more importantly that the media isn't spinning this as Republicans holding 98% of American hostage in favor of the rich who don't need the money. Even worse they'll only agree to .5% of people not getting a tax cut if we starve some more poor people. It's now at the point where it's all just hilarious and not sad anymore.

lol still can't believe they never passed a tax cut for 250k and under. And more importantly that the media isn't spinning this as Republicans holding 98% of American hostage in favor of the rich who don't need the money. Even worse they'll only agree to .5% of people not getting a tax cut if we starve some more poor people. It's now at the point where it's all just hilarious and not sad anymore.

I'm trying to think of why your summary is wrong but all I can come with is "Well, the poor people won't actually starve." and "those 0.5% of people do get a tax cut but not on the income over $1M" (which makes it even worse).

Edit: That FB post must be a troll, no one is that stupid.

So no matter what happens it looks like the issue of the debt ceiling will not be resolved through the fiscal cliff.

I now suspect the debt ceiling will be a major part, if not the center piece, of Obama's next State of the Union. Unless second-term Presidents don't get a State of the Union in the same year as their inauguration.

From Greenville?

We really need to do a neogaf meetup at some point and just vent about the wackiness of living at Ground Zero (Jim Demint's home is in Greenville) for the American conservative movement.

That'd be pretty cool. I'm overseas now in Germany, so that'd definitely be something nice to come back home too. :D

Link

The Autumn Wind
I feel like everyone is so scared of being accused of of being the "librul media" by Fox News and crew, that they don't even want to report reality anymore. Everything has to be neutral and unbiased. Meanwhile, Fox News keeps running with "Obama is the devil!!" with reckless abandon and no one second guesses it at all.

It's really an amazing phenomenon.

I feel like everyone is so scared of being accused of of being the "librul media" by Fox News and crew, that they don't even want to report reality anymore. Everything has to be neutral and unbiased. Meanwhile, Fox News keeps running with "Obama is the devil!!" with reckless abandon and no one second guesses it at all.

It's really an amazing phenomenon.

CNN was really disgusting this fall.

They took the Golden Mean fallacy to unprecedented levels.

gcubed

So no matter what happens it looks like the issue of the debt ceiling will not be resolved through the fiscal cliff.

I now suspect the debt ceiling will be a major part, if not the center piece, of Obama's next State of the Union. Unless second-term Presidents don't get a State of the Union in the same year as their inauguration.

I believe he still gets both. He's already told Bohner that both speeches will be dedicated to killing the GOP if nothing passes.

FyreWulff

Incumbents get one, and newly elected ones still get a SotU in-everything-but-name but it's called something else. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom