• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Rep. Grayson: There is no fiscal crisis, we’ve just given in to Republican crisis mindset

Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Fla., joins John Fugelsang on “Viewpoint” to weigh in on news that President Obama told Senate Democrats he was open to considering cuts to such federal programs as Social Security and Medicare. “I take no pleasure in saying this because the president is my president — I voted for him twice and he’s the leader of my party — but on this regard the president is wrong,” Grayson says.

Grayson also shares his thoughts on the Congressional budget battle. “This terrible preoccupation with austerity, with deficits, with debt is mistaken,” Grayson says. “The government has never been able to borrow at such low rates for my entire lifetime, in fact, going back 100 years, the government’s never been able to borrow at 2 percent before — that’s what the rates are these days — and that just shows you that there is no fiscal crisis. … We’ve simply given in to the Republican mindset of crises.”

Yup

Glad people are saying it openly this is how you shift the debate. Just he can be a dick sometimes. He's right on policy but an asshole.

The people how crowed about the deficit were once the lunatic fring but they kept repeating their message and it got throw the dems need to do the same on preaching that the debt isn't a problem. "Conventional Wisdom" when its wrong needs to be challenged

Wait he said this on Current? Lol so nobody saw it.

Edit: Oh snap ending payroll cap and extending it to investments, yes please

kehs

Banned
Since finding out that it was the bartender who recorded the 47% video makes it more vile for some reason. Up to now, for some reason I never imagined the employees and how they felt as this asshole was spouting this shit in the background while they were serving them food.

Since finding out that it was the bartender who recorded the 47% video makes it more vile for some reason. Up to now, for some reason I never imagined the employees and how they felt as this asshole was spouting this shit in the background while they were serving them food.

It was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the video actually. Romney was talking about many of them; a lot of waitresses and bartenders don't make enough money to pay income taxes.

Whenever I attend meetings or conferences at fancy hotels I'm struck at how completely oblivious a lot of exec types are towards "the help" unless it's an attractive woman; in those cases sure a lot of these guys will go out their way to be polite, but if not you're shit out of luck.

Apparently Romney never watched Fight Club.

fc2.jpg

It was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the video actually. Romney was talking about many of them; a lot of waitresses and bartenders don't make enough money to pay income taxes.

Whenever I attend meetings or conferences at fancy hotels I'm struck at how completely oblivious a lot of exec types are towards "the help" unless it's an attractive woman; in those cases sure a lot of these guys will go out their way to be polite, but if not you're shit out of luck.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how worthless most business types make service workers feel. I work for a poor non-profit, but still leave $5/day tip in hotel rooms out of my per diem and staff act like I'm Jesus.

This is why his legacy is tarnished and he earned it completely, the rehabilitation efforts conservatives are making for him right now are hilarious (and a bit puzzling, even in the 20th century you have better candidates).

He was dead wrong about other things (raising taxes in a depressed economy, the gold standard) but this is the big one, he said "there's nothing I can do", and FDR proved him wrong.

Hoover gets a bad rap, but he lived in a period where Keynesian economics barely existed and neoclassical economics was the norm. Sure stimulus spending and quantitative easing sound intuitive now, but they weren't back then. He also has a reputation for being a laisse faire president, though he denounced those own ideas within his cabinet. He had his own version of a stimulus with public works, what really did him in was his refusal to run deficits.

FDR threw everything he could against the wall, his most effective policies, like expanding the money supply he did entirely by accident, and of course he was saved by WWII which Hoover wasn't.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hoover gets a bad rap, but he lived in a period where Keynesian economics barely existed and neoclassical economics was the norm. Sure stimulus spending and quantitative easing sound intuitive now, but they weren't back then. He also has a reputation for being a laisse faire president, though he denounced those own ideas within his cabinet. He had his own version of a stimulus with public works, what really did him in was his refusal to run deficits.

FDR threw everything he could against the wall, his most effective policies, like expanding the money supply he did entirely by accident, and of course he was saved by WWII which Hoover wasn't.

So then the problem was the lack of creating deficits? I guess I can sorta see that.

I've volunteered with high school Juniors who had better burns than that.

High School? Surely you're being generous. "Ur mom" jokes started becoming passe when I entered jr. high. And mind you, there were still a lot of shitheads there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So then the problem was the lack of creating deficits? I guess I can sorta see that.

High School? Surely you're being generous. "Ur mom" jokes started becoming passe when I entered jr. high. And mind you, there were still a lot of shitheads there.

I was being generous, these High School kids had some epic burns. Just posting one would get me banned from GAF (not that I can remember them, it was a few weeks ago).

A failure to adequately increase net spending might be a better way to put it, but that's just a different way of saying the same thing. Even FDR failed at this, which is why the country went back into recession shortly after a weak recovery began. It was the great increase in net spending caused by WWII that really kick-started the economy (and kept it going for a couple decades thereafter). Ain't no stimulus like a world-war stimulus.

So there are rumors Kerry might run again in 2016. They seem pretty unfounded ("Our unnamed Democratic operative and part-time school janitor said...") and while I'd question the wisdom of such a decision, especially if Clinton runs... hey, Nixon did it.

A failure to adequately increase net spending might be a better way to put it, but that's just a different way of saying the same thing. Even FDR failed at this, which is why the country went back into recession shortly after a weak recovery began. It was the great increase in net spending caused by WWII that really kick-started the economy (and kept it going for a couple decades thereafter). Ain't no stimulus like a world-war stimulus.

He also bought up the countries gold and made private sales of gold illegal. By artificially raising the price of gold on the gold standard he greatly increased the money supply which had been previously contracted by the Federal Reserve - which is what made the depression so severe in the first place. He didn't even really know what he was doing - he was just trying to finance more Government projects to improve unemployment, which as you mentioned only went so far.

I don't know why Hoover gets shit on by historians for being an uncaring plutocrat and a jerk, he was a very generous conservative by all accounts. He sent foreign aid to Russia in the 1921 famine despite his revulsion to communism, which was used politically against him when the depression hit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't know why Hoover gets shit on by historians for being an uncaring plutocrat and a jerk, he was a very generous conservative by all accounts. He sent foreign aid to Russia in the 1921 famine despite his revulsion to communism, which was used politically against him when the depression hit.
His betrayal to Black Americans after the great flood is what started their path to near-unanimous Democratic support.

Gotchaye

His betrayal to Black Americans after the great flood is what started their path to near-unanimous Democratic support.

I hadn't been aware of this. If the graphs in this article are accurate black party ID was split roughly evenly from '36 to '44 even as the black vote went to Democrats by 40 points. I wish those graphs went back just a little farther, but that looks pretty bad for Hoover (FDR's margins in those three elections were 20, 25, and 10 points).

Hoover must have been awful if he's that much worse.

My grandad fought in WWII and said when him and his fellow black soldiers heard FDR had died they all broke down in tears. It's amazing how beloved he was among most black people at the time. Even more so his wife (who actually supported civil rights).

Did he know any Japanese soldiers?

No, although he also claimed the Japanese constantly sent letters to segregated black camps. They were propaganda pleas pointing out how poorly black soldiers were treated at home, and offered them incentives if they surrendered/joined the Japanese army.

I'd imagine most Japanese American soldiers didn't shed any tears when FDR died.

haha, Eric Erickson demanding republicans shut down the government (ie not pass the CR) until democrats/Obama agree to defund Obamacare
http://www.redstate.com/2013/03/14/obamacare-will-not-crumble-without-a-government-shutdown/

National elections apparently don't matter. I'd love to see republicans do this, but they're too chicken. I can't think of a better way for republicans to show the public they don't deserve to control any part of government.
What's makes you so sure they won't try this? They've thrown everything they can including the kitchen sink to try and curb the presidency

haha, Eric Erickson demanding republicans shut down the government (ie not pass the CR) until democrats/Obama agree to defund Obamacare
http://www.redstate.com/2013/03/14/obamacare-will-not-crumble-without-a-government-shutdown/

National elections apparently don't matter. I'd love to see republicans do this, but they're too chicken. I can't think of a better way for republicans to show the public they don't deserve to control any part of government.

Haha, I love the first comment. "Free market reforms can work, just look at LASIK and cosmetic surgery!"

Elasticity of demand, motherfucker, do you speak it?

GhaleonEB

So, this happened.

Initial jobless claims fell 10,000 in the March 9 week to 332,000 which indicates much more improvement in the labor market than Econoday's consensus for 350,000. The week's total is the second lowest of the recovery. There are no special factors skewing today's report.

The four-week average is now at its lowest level of the recovery, down 2,750 from the prior week to a 346,750 level that is a bit below the 350,000 trend of the month-ago comparison in what is an early positive indication for the March employment report.

Continuing claims are also moving lower, down 89,000 in data for the March 2 week to 3.024 million which is another recovery low as is the 4-week average at 3.098 million. The unemployment rate for insured workers is unchanged at a recovery low of 2.4 percent.

Strength in the labor market would explain ongoing signs of strength in other economic data, especially yesterday's retail sales report. Today's report is a major positive for today's session.
So far so good.

KingGondo

Banned
HB1940 the Religious Viewpoints Anti-discrimination Bill said:
BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA:
SECTION 1. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 11-112 of Title 70, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:
A. A school district board of education may adopt a policy allowing an inspirational message to be delivered by students at a student assembly. The policy shall provide that:
1. Students who are responsible for organizing any student-led portion of a student assembly shall:
a. have sole discretion in determining whether an inspirational message is to be delivered, and
b. choose the student volunteers who will deliver an inspirational message. The student volunteers shall be solely responsible for the preparation and content of the inspirational message; and
2. School district personnel shall not:
a. participate in, or otherwise influence, the determination of whether an inspirational message is to be delivered or select the student volunteers who will deliver the inspirational message, and
b. monitor or otherwise review the content of the inspirational message to be delivered by a student volunteer.
B. The purpose of this section is to provide students with the opportunity for formal or ceremonious observance of an occasion or event.
SECTION 2. This act shall become effective July 1, 2013.
And by "inspirational," they certainly don't mean "religious," no sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom