• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
CUT CUT CUT!!

DAVID GREGORY:
Is there any ratio that you could accept?

REP. KEVIN MCCARTHY:
There are no new tax increases because you don't need it. If you look at this report--

DAVID GREGORY:
But you're never going to get entitlement reform--

REP. KEVIN MCCARTHY:
You're going to get nothing.

DAVID GREGORY:
--without tax increases. Is that political reality?

REP. KEVIN MCCARTHY:
Why do you have to wait? Why do you have to wait? Why does the public have to have a bigger crisis? The longer we wait, the more we add to it. But there's only one person at this table who voted to raise Medicare; the Republicans did not. We're planning to save Medicare, not only for this generation but for the future.

pigeon

Banned
You guys need to talk to more people with different opinions.

I mean, I don't disagree, but we actually just had a big event to count up how many people are turning Republican because of their sophisticated branding operation, and the answer is, not that many! I think you're focusing on the potentially effective aspects for the GOP here and ignoring the huge problems, like, again, Sarah Palin. Whenever Palin's face appears on a screen the GOP loses votes, because they're letting her represent them, and people know all about her.

I think you're giving Portman too much credit here. I think his conversion is simply, "My son said he's gay and he wants to get married someday." I could very well be wrong, but I'm waiting to see if Portman turns into someone who fights for gay rights, or just won't vote against them.
I'm confused. He has said he will vote for gay marriage, vote and work to overturn Ohio's gay marriage ban, and supports gay rights. Does he have to marry a man before you believe him?

I'm not saying they're winning, just responding to the mocking here. Of everything (and I mean *everything*) else I have heard from CPAC, it all seems regressive and bolstering losing strategies. But the thing people were making fun of in this case was actually their one right move.

I gotta get a job as a GOP strategist.
So I can undermine them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I mean, I don't disagree, but we actually just had a big event to count up how many people are turning Republican because of their sophisticated branding operation, and the answer is, not that many! I think you're focusing on the potentially effective aspects for the GOP here and ignoring the huge problems, like, again, Sarah Palin. Whenever Palin's face appears on a screen the GOP loses votes, because they're letting her represent them, and people know all about her.

I think it cuts both ways. It is obviously damaging for Sarah Palin. And Sarah Palin is damaging to the GOP. But I think it contributes to the overall conservative zeitgeist that liberals want to control your lives, control what you eat, make your priest marry and then have gay sex with hamsters, etc. Now, of course, it's easier to sway people leaning 45 degrees in one direction, and while the vessel delivering this message is absolutely toxic, I am concerned about the how dilutive something stupid like this can be for what I believe is a good message.

Maher had a really good final New Rule on Friday about how conservatives totally overinflate the popularity of their causes (and they have been doing it forever...see the Silent Majority), but I just hate giving them ammunition.

Chichikov

Translation: we were wrong about everything, and yeah, while the bond vigilantes china come for our money hyperinflation scenario we predicted didn't happen, it might still happen in the future somehow, so let's cut social security and Medicare!

Dude such a fraud, he was pushing the same crap since 1998, what fiscal crisis was he saving us from in the 90s?

Are Bohner and Ryan messaging on the eve of making some sort of deal?
I think they just want to avoid shutting the government over the debt ceiling.
You need to be as dumb and full if yourself as newt to do that crap.

Jooney

Paul Ryan: The debt crisis is coming where seniors will have their benefits cut in the future, so what we need to do is cut benefits for seniors now.

OK.

Later: It's great that the President is finally talking to people on the other side ...

Really, he hasn't been talking to the GOP leadership? It's sad that the expectation that Ryan is selling to the American people is that the president needs to personally babysit them and explain to them his plan and what he is willing to negotiate. Shouldn't the GOP leadership be responsible for discussing the President's intentions with their own party?

reading about Charles Krauthammer's idea from a few years ago that Japan should develop nukes to deter North Korea I find it interesting how that rationale sounds eerily similar to the "if only X had a gun this wouldn't have happened!" logic that is sometimes used.

Also reading about how an explosion that could have set off a nuke was caused by a maintenance worker dropping a socket wrench. And a crash during a mid-air refueling that destroyed some nuclear bombs over Spain

...fuck me, this book is depressing

reading about Charles Krauthammer's idea from a few years ago that Japan should develop nukes to deter North Korea I find it interesting how that rationale sounds eerily similar to the "if only X had a gun this wouldn't have happened!" logic that is sometimes used.

Also reading about how an explosion that could have set off a nuke was caused by a maintenance worker dropping a socket wrench.

Why can't the GOP be more like Reagan and work towards a nuke free world instead of advocating handing out nukes

Chichikov

Also reading about how an explosion that could have set off a nuke was caused by a maintenance worker dropping a socket wrench. And a crash during a mid-air refueling that destroyed some nuclear bombs over Spain

Mutual Assured Destruction is one of the dumbest ideas ever.
The German has their Nazi technocrats, the US had von Neumann, you know can trust him, he knows math and he use complicated game theory terms to explain why we must build weapons so terrible that you can't think of a single scenario where you would want to use them, do you doubt math?
Fuck him, fuck that way of thinking and fuck people like Krauthammer still pushing that cold war bullshit.

Jooney

Just heard the Ben Carson CPAC speech. He is a master at setting up and knocking down strawmen.

There's no doubt that his personal rags to riches story is inspiring, but his co-opting of common sense as conservative principles is mind-numblingly condescending.

Indeed.

That being said, I have to commend the guys ability to do public speaking.

Agreed - he has a very comfortable speaking style. And he doesn't even need to get jiggy with a teleprompter.

Just heard the Ben Carson CPAC speech. He is a master at setting up and knocking down strawmen.

There's no doubt that his personal rags to riches story is inspiring, but his co-opting of common sense as conservative principles is mind-numblingly condescending.

Indeed.

Regarding the Euro bailout and Cyprus fiasco going on Redstate readers said:

veritaseequitas • an hour ago −
I wonder how long it is going to take the federal government to do this to American citizens?
1 •Share ›

toothpick veritaseequitas • 31 minutes ago −
They'll do it via inflation soon enough.
0 •Share ›

norris • 4 minutes ago −
Obama would never do this he feels double taxing the rich is so much more fair.
0 •Share ›

Lol

Agreed - he has a very comfortable speaking style. And he doesn't even need to get jiggy with a teleprompter.
Indeed.

Is he a legitimate threat then?

pigeon

Banned
Is he a legitimate threat then?

Ben Carson is a smart professional black guy who's not a politician but happened to have a confrontation with a Democratic President, causing him to get all kinds of praise from Fox News and related sources and suddenly jump into the limelight and be bruited about as a Presidential candidate despite never having previously expressed any interest or done any of the appropriate preparatory work (including, you know, running for lower office).

Does this remind you of anybody?

838px-Herman_Cain_by_Gage_Skidmore_4.jpg

He could literally not be a less legitimate threat.

Ben Carson is a smart professional black guy who's not a politician but happened to have a confrontation with a Democratic President, causing him to get all kinds of praise from Fox News and related sources and suddenly jump into the limelight and be bruited about as a Presidential candidate despite never having previously expressed any interest or done any of the appropriate preparatory work (including, you know, running for lower office).

Does this remind you of anybody?

He could literally not be a less legitimate threat.
Haha, point taken, good sir.

Jooney

Win/win.
He gets primaried and loses and Dems pick up another Senate seat. He gets primaried and wins and once again the tea party asshole wing gets shut down.

I hadn't considered that.

But look, I think that marriage equality needs to be bigger than just the democrats - it needs to have at least some GOP support if it is to become the law of the land via the legislature (if that ever is the case, at some distant point in the future...). Of course the Supreme Court is going to weigh in but there is no guarantee that (a) that ruling will be favourable and (b) that it will apply outside of California.

I hadn't considered that.

But look, I think that marriage equality needs to be bigger than just the democrats - it needs to have at least some GOP support if it is to become the law of the land via the legislature. Of course the Supreme Court is going to weigh in but there is no guarantee that (a) that ruling will be favourable and (b) that it will apply outside of California.

It will get GOP support as time goes on. Its just the way it is. The more they lose elections due to their stances on these isses the more will come around. Look at immigration. While there are still many who are dead set against it, the leadership for the most part seesthe writing on the wall. Same will happen with gay marriage.

Trurl

Banned
It's amazing how one picture can say so much.

XjHFK0A.jpg

Why are conservatives obsessed with taking positions to troll liberals? Thinking that Mayor Bloomberg overreached doesn't mean that you have to celebrate something as horribly unhealthy as a Big Gulp, being opposed to the federal government imposing energy efficiency standards doesn't mean you have to boast about driving a gas guzzler, etc. There is no corresponding behavior on the left as far as I can tell.

In the year 2013, the Lord came unto Noah, Who was now living in America and said:
"Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me."
"Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans."

He gave Noah the blueprints, saying:
"You have 6 months to build theArk before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights."
Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark."Noah!," He roared, "I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?"

"Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah, "but things have changed."
"I needed a Building Permit."
"I've been arguing with the Boat Inspector about the need for a sprinkler system."

"My homeowners association claim that I've violated the
Neighborhood by-laws by building the Ark in my back yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the local Planning Committee for a decision."

"Then the City Council and the Electricity Company demanded a shed load of money for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear none of it."

"Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl."
"I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!"

"When I started gathering the animals, PETA took me to court. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive and
it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space."

"Then the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on Your proposed flood."

"I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew."

"The Immigration Dept. Is checking the visa status of most of the people who want to work."
"The labor unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only union workers with ark-building experience."

"To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species."
"So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this ark."

"Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine and a rainbow stretched across the sky."

Noah looked up in wonder and asked, "You mean you're not going to destroy the world?"

"No," said the Lord. " The Government beat me to it."

LOL.

You can't make this shit up people.

Amir0x

Banned
that's the type of "joke" that is so wrong in so many ways that it almost forces one to respond compulsively...

i had to talk myself down from taking any element of that seriously enough to discredit lol

Jooney

In order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl, we must destroy the Greater Spotted Barn Owl.

Reposted for the new page:

In the year 2013, the Lord came unto Noah, Who was now living in America and said:
"Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me."
"Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans."

He gave Noah the blueprints, saying:
"You have 6 months to build theArk before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights."
Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark."Noah!," He roared, "I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?"

"Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah, "but things have changed."
"I needed a Building Permit."
"I've been arguing with the Boat Inspector about the need for a sprinkler system."

"My homeowners association claim that I've violated the
Neighborhood by-laws by building the Ark in my back yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the local Planning Committee for a decision."

"Then the City Council and the Electricity Company demanded a shed load of money for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear none of it."

"Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl."
"I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!"

"When I started gathering the animals, PETA took me to court. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive and
it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space."

"Then the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on Your proposed flood."

"I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew."

"The Immigration Dept. Is checking the visa status of most of the people who want to work."
"The labor unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only union workers with ark-building experience."

"To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species."
"So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this ark."

"Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine and a rainbow stretched across the sky."

Noah looked up in wonder and asked, "You mean you're not going to destroy the world?"

"No," said the Lord. " The Government beat me to it."

LOL.

You can't make this shit up people.

But no one in the media responds with "but Europe has a debt crisis because they cut spending too much!"

Just one fucking person on these damn Sunday news shows needs to mention this.

They won't but I assume the reply would be that taxes in these countries are so much higher than in the US and yet it didn't stop the debt problems so why should we raise taxes here.

Clevinger

RNC to spend $10 million this year on minority outreach

WASHINGTON (AP) — Reeling from back-to-back presidential losses and struggling to cope with the country's changing racial and ethnic makeup, the Republican National Committee plans to spend $10 million this year to send hundreds of party workers into Hispanic, black and Asian communities to promote its brand among voters who overwhelmingly supported Democrats in 2012.

They also, unfortunately, want to reduce the number of Republican presidential primary debates:

Committee chairman Reince Priebus on Sunday also proposed shortening the presidential nominating calendar in 2016 and limiting the number of primary-season debates to avoid the self-inflicted damage from inside-party squabbling on the eventual nominee. Priebus' top-to-bottom changes include picking the moderators for the debates and then crowning the nominee as early as June so he or she could begin a general election campaign as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom