• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole "you don't need to buy a house" kinda breaks down in retirement.
Where are people who can't afford buying a house will find the income to pay rent when they don't work?
And that's before getting into the issue of what the fuck do you do when your landlord evict you when you're 85.

And just so we're clear, I think there are many problems with the current model of home ownership, but telling people 'just rent all your life' merely replace it with another set of problems, which I'm not even sure are smaller on a personal level.

The elderly just end up selling their house to pay $10k per month rent at a facility, though.

And it's not like you don't pay property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and (assuming it's a house) bigger utility costs. All depends on where and what home, but it's not like either option is cheap.

I always tell people, it's worth buying a home if you plan to stay there most of your life, not otherwise.

For like 10 minutes, anyway. Until Boehner rejects the offer, at which point Brooks then whines about Obama being stubborn again.

I don't think the GOP has any clue as to what "it" wants at this point. It is quite a fractured party. And yeah, you'll hear a lot of 'cut spending' rhetoric but when it actually comes down to doing the the deed, their knees get weak. Bush went out there and tried to privatize social security when he had a GOP majority in the House & Senate. But ultimately, the GOP itself killed it. I think the same thing will happen with severe Medicare & Social Security cuts.

The GOP wants to just cut funding for foreign aid, whore pills, and food stamps for brown people and think that will balance the budget. But the reality is that won't make a dent in the budget issues. So the GOP is really all hat and no cattle at this point. To some degree, I wish they were in charge because they'd just flail on economic issues. But they would do serious damage to social issues if they held power. (Abortion restrictions, gay rights, etc.)

Apparently Rick Perry wants to run again in 2016. Lol.
Amazing. What a lack of self-awareness. His brand is dead. And unless he's had a brain transplant, he doesn't stand a chance. Even if he were to give a better performance, his hardcore conservatism cannot win a presidential election. Period. Whether it is guns, gays, or god . . . the nation has moved from his views and will be further from them in 2016.

I guess the one thing he does have going for him is that he is a bit more immigrant friendly . . . but that helped killed him in the Lord of the Flies GOP primary.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So the other day, Scarborough had on Campbell Brown and they were both bitching about how Obama's being too mean to the NRA while ignoring violent movies and video games.

This is nothing new, but I have to ask: What the heck do right wingers want to or expect Obama to do on those things?

So the other day, Scarborough had on Campbell Brown and they were both bitching about how Obama's being too mean to the NRA while ignoring violent movies and video games.

This is nothing new, but I have to ask: What the heck do right wingers want to or expect Obama to do on those things?
Its funny how bashing the 2nd amendment is too far but the 1st is fair game.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got Joe Biden at 69%. Bob McDonnell I'm assuming is the most moderate republican? He's at like 50%, but then again I'm not a liberal.

Piecake

Joe Biden and I must think alike, 95%

Though a few of those questions were just off. Like i put no opinion on the budget issue because I don't think we should do any cuts. Had 2 or 3 like that where i felt like I needed to look at the situation (environment versus property rights) before deciding

Piecake

I got similar results. The test is mostly bunk though, it uses conservative framing on a lot of the questions (like the budget and SS questions).

well, i would consider it mainstream framing, which is sadly conservative. Not a big deal, but I don't think the test was trying to tilt one way. Its just thats how its being framed in mainstream politics

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
well, i would consider it mainstream framing, which is sadly conservative. Not a big deal, but I don't think the test was trying to tilt one way. Its just thats how its being framed in mainstream politics

As far as the SS question went it was either privatize or up the payroll tax cap/retirement age. It was a really simple test. There weren't a lot of shades of grey in there and the shades of gray are everything.

Apparently Rick Perry wants to run again in 2016. Lol.

Maybe he'll do this homework this time. In hindsight I think he made a hasty decision to enter 2012's race. He got in relatively late after some indecision amongst his team, and things never really settled down. I remember his poll numbers being super high initially, but they plummeted after the first debate, and got even worse after later debates (especially after that "you don't have a heart" comment on immigration opponents).

Really, it's the same question many people had about Palin after the 2008 election. If she took some time to get familiar with issues, picked some pet issue that would be her "main" focus (say...energy) and worked to fix her image by doing some mainstream interviews...maybe things would have been different for her. Instead she went full blown crazy, continued to not do any homework, exclusively gave interviews to Fox News (even shunning Bill O'Reilly once he got tired of her shitty answers), and starred in a reality TV show. So yea, if Perry can...basically not do any of what Palin did, maybe he could be a decent candidate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe he'll do this homework this time. In hindsight I think he made a hasty decision to enter 2012's race. He got in relatively late after some indecision amongst his team, and things never really settled down. I remember his poll numbers being super high initially, but they plummeted after the first debate, and got even worse after later debates (especially after that "you don't have a heart" comment on immigration opponents).

Really, it's the same question many people had about Palin after the 2008 election. If she took some time to get familiar with issues, picked some pet issue that would be her "main" focus (say...energy) and worked to fix her image by doing some mainstream interviews...maybe things would have been different for her. Instead she went full blown crazy, continued to not do any homework, exclusively gave interviews to Fox News (even shunning Bill O'Reilly once he got tired of her shitty answers), and starred in a reality TV show. So yea, if Perry can...basically not do any of what Palin did, maybe he could be a decent candidate.

He's pretty done after what happened in that last debate though, the guy couldn't name three government agencies. He'd have to improve A LOT to make a come back. He'll have to win back everyone he lost and prove last time was just bad prep. I don't think he has that in him.

This site

http://www.selectsmart.com/president/

Apparently i should be supporting Cuomo. 91% in common with him, followed by Biden (87%), Hillary (79%) and O'Malley (75%).

The top GOPer is Bob McDonnell at 20% lol

Your top match for 2016 Presidential Candidate Selector is:
Joe Biden
biden.png

I'd vote for him. I don't think he'll be on the ballot though.

Yeah . . . or maybe Palin is just fucking stupid.

WARNING: THIS POST IS ONLY AIMED AT TROLLS

Look whats the front page of Mondays local newspaper....

Fresno City Hall's streetlight crisis is entering a mop-up phase likely to be as full of conflict as the others.

Led by Council Member Lee Brand, City Hall last year got serious about a plague of darkened streetlights caused largely by copper wire thefts.

After months of debate, city officials found the money to thief-proof the system's weak spot -- easily accessed maintenance boxes.

But 3,000 of Fresno's 42,000 street-lights remain out, and the cash-challenged Public Works Department figures it will take more than a year to work through the big backlog.

That's not good enough for Council Member Sal Quintero, whose southeast Fresno district has been hit hard by wire thieves.

Quintero wants the City Council to consider using some specially designed Measure C money to speed up the repair schedule.
Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/04/07/3248021/quintero-sets-sights-on-measure.html#storylink=cpy

Mike M

Nick N
Landover Baptist is satire/trolling. They've been at it a long time, I remember people being outraged with them in college, maybe even high school...

This site

http://www.selectsmart.com/president/

Apparently i should be supporting Cuomo. 91% in common with him, followed by Biden (87%), Hillary (79%) and O'Malley (75%).

The top GOPer is Bob McDonnell at 20% lol
1. Ideal Theoretical Candidate (100%)
2. Joe Biden (93%)
3. Hillary Clinton (88%)
4. Martin O'Malley (83%)
5. Andrew Cuomo (82%)
6. Bob McDonnell (26%)
7. John Kasich (25%)
8. Chris Christie (19%)
9. Bobby Jindal (19%)
10. Rand Paul (18%)
11. Rob Portman (18%)