• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnipx

While most states are trying to limit early voting the md senate just passed a bill to expand it. Along with medical marijuana. It's on the governors desk now

No. He said if GOP doesnt start letting certain nominees for the courts and other issues have an up or down vote then he will just require a straight 51 majority. Basically doing away with the rules in one fale swoop.

[url=http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/04/harry-reid-filibuster-reform-nuclear-option.php]TPM[/url] said:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) threatened in his most explicit terms yet to use the so-called nuclear option to weaken the filibuster if Republicans keep blocking judicial and other nominees from coming to a vote.

“All within the sound of my voice — including my Democratic senators and the Republican senators who I serve with — should understand that we as a body have the power on any given day to change the rules with a simple majority,” Reid told Nevada Public Radio in a little-noticed interview Friday. “And I will do that if necessary.”

Reid said he had recently spoken with Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and President Obama to review their options, and then issued his ultimatum to Republicans: stop your relentless filibusters or the Democratic majority will strip away your power to do so.

“I’m a very patient man,” he said. “We made changes but the time will tell whether they’re big enough. I’m going to wait and build a case. If the Republicans in the Senate don’t start approving some judges, and don’t start helping get some of these nominations done, then we’re going to have to take more action.”

Ahaha. ALL WHO HAVE EARS, HEAR!

The Thatcher thread is interesting, i didn't realize she was so hated.

So she's like a Reagan Nixon combination?

I think its just british people love to complain. GAF leans left so there's that on top of it.

British politics is also extreamly spiteful and mean spirited in my experiences, there isn't the pretense of bipartisanship since its not required. She was left of Reagan btw. But she radically changed the country. I like much of the denationalization

I found this chart interesting.

MHkVrbi.png

Pretty much. Not the greatest PM they've ever had.

Who is a great PM they've had besides Churchill? They all get eaten alive over there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think its just british people love to complain. GAF leans left so there's that on top of it.

British politics is also extreamly spiteful and mean spirited in my experiences, there isn't the pretense of bipartisanship since its not required. She was left of Reagan btw. But she radically changed the country.

MHkVrbi.png

Who is a great PM they've had besides Churchill? They all get eaten alive over there.

The thing to understand about British politics is that they never like anyone they elect. They seemed to like Tony Blair well enough until the whole Iraq thing, then that love affair rightfully ended quick. Churchill was sort of a dick, but got saved by WWII. They don't have the same sort of hero worship as we do when it comes to the heads of their state, that's what the Queen is for and even then no one really likes her all that much either. They're just really jaded across the pond.

The thing to understand about British politics is that they never like anyone they elect. They seemed to like Tony Blair well enough until the whole Iraq thing, then that love affair rightfully ended quick. Churchill was sort of a dick, but got saved by WWII. They don't have the same sort of hero worship as we do when it comes to the heads of their state, that's what the Queen is for and even then no one really likes her all that much either. They're just really jaded across the pond.

That's the vibe I was trying to get across. I lived with a Brit when I was living in Europe got used to him calling his politicians the worst things imaginable.

British politics is also extreamly spiteful and mean spirited in my experiences, there isn't the pretense of bipartisanship since its not required. She was left of Reagan btw. But she radically changed the country. I like much of the denationalization

MHkVrbi.png

The chart doesn't really convey any meaningful information by itself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's the vibe I was trying to get across. I lived with a Brit when I was living in Europe got used to him calling his politicians the worst things imaginable.

You should hear what the members of parliament say to each other if you think regular people say bad shit. The level of shit talking that goes on when people disagree in parliament is amazing, that's where a lot of the citizen's feelings come from. I wish our congress was more like it, stuff might actually get done.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yup, 401ks have been a complete failure. Anyone who claims otherwise is living in a fantasy land, enamored by the vehicle instead of looking at the actual results

401ks aren't a failure. They just weren't created so that you could live forever on them. You have to invest in it early and not take your money out. If you put money in your 401k for 20+ years and your company matches you at about 50% or more you should be okay if you combine it with Social Security.

The chart doesn't really convey any meaningful information by itself.

It expresses her priorities and spending in an aggregate.
You should hear what the members of parliament say to each other if you think regular people say bad shit. The level of shit talking that goes on when people disagree in parliament is amazing, that's where a lot of the citizen's feelings come from. I wish our congress was more like it, stuff might actually get done.
Disagree. Our system is built on compromise, theirs isn't.

I think the problem is we've begun to act like them but keep our system the same (I still like ours better as its more democratic and representative IMO)

Landover is not a real church, it's where doofuses go to waste their time roleplaying as Christians because they hate themselves.

Landover Baptist is satire/trolling. They've been at it a long time, I remember people being outraged with them in college, maybe even high school...

Pretty sure its a troll website. Mocking religious conservatives. At least I thought it was.

Thank God. Sorry but after seeing Stormfront, I can't be sure of much.

Good for him. He's retiring but it's never too late to do the right thing.

Landrieu has already said she personally supports it but as a matter of policy can't because she represents Louisiana, Pryor's indecisiveness is a surprise to me because I always thought he was a true believer, Manchin's just a dick. In any case, can it still be said that Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same? At least on social issues there's a clear difference.

kingkitty

Republican senator Toomey and democrat senator Manchin are somewhere I guess hashing it out on a deal for background checks.

And apparently in this deal, there won't be background checks for gun sales between close relatives...

...but what if your close relative is a fucking looney.

Meh, I guess it's better than nothing. Fuck Reid.

Good for him. He's retiring but it's never too late to do the right thing.

Landrieu has already said she personally supports it but as a matter of policy can't because she represents Louisiana, Pryor's indecisiveness is a surprise to me because I always thought he was a true believer, Manchin's just a dick. In any case, can it still be said that Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same? At least on social issues there's a clear difference.

I like to think that Landrieu will endorse same sex mariage after her upcoming election, but she has disappointed me before.

Republican senator Toomey and democrat senator Manchin are somewhere I guess hashing it out on a deal for background checks.

And apparently in this deal, there won't be background checks for gun sales between close relatives...

The only good thing I can say about the filibuster is that bills at least pass with some bipartisan support. It'd be so easy for Boehner to just shitcan any Senate bill that passes with Democratic votes alone. If there are a few Republicans on board, it makes it harder to claim Democrats are shoving legislation down peoples' throats (yeah, because passing bills that you campaigned on is tyranny of the majority!).

Hell, Democrats already passed a budget in the Senate, by a vote of 50-49. That certainly will not be used as a springboard for any budget negotiations with the GOP.

pigeon

Banned
In any case, can it still be said that Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same?

The same people who were saying it a month ago will be saying it now, for the same reason -- because they don't know much about politics, or because the numberless ways in which they're different don't directly affect them.

The same people who were saying it a month ago will be saying it now, for the same reason -- because they don't know much about politics, or because the numberless ways in which they're different don't directly affect them.
I hope they're ok with being called out for being ignorant then. That seems to get under a lot of peoples' skins.

Oh Bobby

Lousiana Governor Bobby Jindal (R) is pulling a plan to replace the income and corporate tax with a new sales tax amid an outcry from groups ranging from clergy to business lobbyists.

"I realize that some of you think I haven't been listening. But you'll be surprised to learn I have been," Jindal will say in an address to the state legislature, according to prepared remarks released to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "And here is what I've heard from you and from the people of Louisiana -- yes, we do want to get rid of the income tax, but governor you're moving too fast and we aren't sure that your plan is the best way to do it."

Jindal's about-face is a difficult blow given that he made the tax proposal a centerpiece of his second term agenda.

Angry Fork

This site

http://www.selectsmart.com/president/

Apparently i should be supporting Cuomo. 91% in common with him, followed by Biden (87%), Hillary (79%) and O'Malley (75%).

The top GOPer is Bob McDonnell at 20% lol

Some of these questions are so annoying, everything is democrat centrist/center-right vs. republican far-right. No options for single payer healthcare instead of supporting Obamacare? Spending cuts being on the table, possibility of increasing age to keep SS 'solvent' being the only left options. And if you pick neither/no opinion it likely means the question will just be x'ed out from your results. But I got Cuomo and Biden like most people here.

That's playing politics over governing in quite extreme fashion; not even Scott Walker goes that far. Rick Snyder has reached that level in terms of fucking up taxes in cities, but he's not running for president; he's just an ideological asshole.

Bobby's in for a surprise when he rolls up to Iowa and South Carolina in a couple years.

MHkVrbi.png

Thatcher, similar to Reagan, hosted the movement in radically raising Britain's poverty rate and inequality. Britain has as high of a poverty rate as the United States does. There was some video that Thatcher fans like to throw around to "zing" there opponents in which Thatcher argues with the left collation. The left collation screams that if you give the rich too much power and put the focus off of the working class poverty levels would go up and the middle class would stagnate. Thatcher disagreed. Its rather cringeworthy because everything the left collation claimed would happen has happened. It seems only France didn't get stuck in that trap as instead of going further right they have sorta remained in the center.

Thatcher, similar to Reagan, hosted the movement in radically raising Britain's poverty rate and inequality. Britain has as high of a poverty rate as the United States does. There was some video that Thatcher fans like to throw around to "zing" there opponents in which Thatcher argues with the left collation. The left collation screams that if you give the rich too much power and put the focus off of the working class poverty levels would go up and the middle class would stagnate. Thatcher disagreed. Its rather cringeworthy because everything the left collation claimed would happen has happened. It seems only France didn't get stuck in that trap as instead of going further right they have sorta remained in the center.

Compare English-speaking versus non-English-speaking countries:

Mi7d0YT.png

I heard on Talk of the Nation or On Point gun sales between relatives account for a very small portion, 5 or 10%. Most mass shooters tend to get them from stores or shows these days anyway. It's a fair, although meaningless compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom