• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Ah, that's what I was trying to ask before. So Republicans can't split their own vote for Cantor and Boehner leaving the Dems as a solid block? They'll literally have only one candidate up for speakership at the end, right, be it Cantor or Boehner?
They most likely end up with a single candidate (though I don't think there's actually an official nomination process - you can vote to whoever), but it doesn't matter, again, it's a majority vote, not plurality.

RDreamer

They most likely end up with a single candidate (though I don't think there's actually an official nomination process - you can vote to whoever), but it doesn't matter, again, it's a majority vote, not plurality.

oooh. Wow I feel stupid. Yeah for some reason I didn't connect your previous statement that it needed to be a majority vote to the real ramifications of what that meant, lol.

Seems about right. The Dems don't have a real chance to take the House until after 2020.
Which is what I've been saying for some time. I worked on the census in 2010 and saw first hand how districts were eventually carved. The damage of that election will not be undone until the next census

It's not just about national congress. Republicans took complete control of multiple states like Michigan and Wisconsin. Those states have slowly gotten more blue over the last two years, but republicans remain in control. 2016 would have to be a 2008 style romp for dems to even have a chance at the house. Hopefully Hillary runs because I don't see any dems holding Obama's coalition, but she could come the closest and win more white people which is perhaps the most important aspect of winning the house back.

Why is Grover Norquist even on TV anymore? This is the worst part of being unemployed. Getting addicted to cable news. Ugh.

The spin he is doing on Andrea Mitchell right now is legendary. Using his logic, House Republicans who voted for the bill last night voted for tax CUTS, not tax increases. I wonder if he's going to pose primary challenges for all those who decided to vote against tax cuts then....

thefro

The spin he is doing on Andrea Mitchell right now is legendary. Using his logic, House Republicans who voted for the bill last night voted for tax CUTS, not tax increases. I wonder if he's going to pose primary challenges for all those who decided to vote against tax cuts then....

Seriously, in 2 weeks Republicans are going to be screaming that 1) Obama lied and raised taxes on everyone in this deal and 2) added $4 trillion in spending by sneaking in pork project money for Hollywood, dairy farmers, and electric cars.

slit

He won't, but it would be great if he did. :lol

My state representative said something stupid again.

This is the same guy that tried to get legislation to make single parenthood labeled child abuse an said money means more to men than women, etc. Really wish we could get rid of this disgusting asshat, but the people around here seem to love him.... I see signs for him everywhere during elections :(

He's sort of right, I only know one black family that celebrates Kwanza whereas I know plenty of white liberals who celebrate it to some extent. Never been a fan

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Isn't he right though? The no vote would have ended up with a lot more taxes.

Though you're right that the real question is what does that explination mean for the majority of republicans that voted against it?

Gotchaye

Krugman said it well. If Obama holds firm on the debt ceiling, this deal isn't bad. If he doesn't (which is pretty likely), it's not a good deal and the debt ceiling will likely become Fiscal Cliff Pt.2: Fuck the Poor Edition

Reiterating what I said yesterday:

Obama got more-or-less exactly what he wanted in this tax deal. Rates technically didn't go up on $250k+, but we get more revenue from them anyway through deduction capping. Probably he didn't even want a larger increase in the capital gains tax, and I'm not sure he was ever out there campaigning for one. The Democrats weren't enthusiastic about continuing the payroll tax cut - that wasn't Republican obstruction.

If anything, this strengthens Obama's position going into the debt ceiling and sequester fights because it's the first time that Republican obstruction has clearly (according to the media, according to Obama, and most importantly according to Republicans) failed to be effective. Boehner's proven willing to allow his caucus to split and to let the sane Republicans vote with the Democrats, when push comes to shove. Obama can now laugh at him when he threatens to force a default on US debt unless he gets concessions. Everything else is details.

My state representative said something stupid again.

This is the same guy that tried to get legislation to make single parenthood labeled child abuse an said money means more to men than women, etc. Really wish we could get rid of this disgusting asshat, but the people around here seem to love him.... I see signs for him everywhere during elections :(

Kwanza doesn't need to be "slapped down." It needs to be put in chains and whipped!

What a dumb ass.

RDreamer

He's sort of right, I only know one black family that celebrates Kwanza whereas I know plenty of white liberals who celebrate it to some extent. Never been a fan

Sort of, but the guy doesn't know how to phrase anything without coming out sounding like an angry jackass. He's nothing but a hot-tempered buffoon with absolutely no tact.

His only point seems to be "Look at me! I criticize black people! Look at me!"

That is his only point. This is how this dude gets elected. People around here love that shit. He tells it how it is, and isn't afraid to criticize black people or single parents, etc. People look at that as Traditional Values™.

Averon

Kwaanzaa must be 'slapped down'? He calls the holiday 'divisive' so his fix is to say some divisive statements? Who gives a fuck about Kwaanzaa? Why not ignore it?

His only point seems to be "Look at me! I criticize black people! Look at me!"

I've noticed that some conservatives loves to pick on Kwaanzaa during the holiday season. It's become an annual tradition to them, much like the fictional War On Christmas they trout out year after year.

Isn't the GOP kind of fucked with regard to budget issues?

They refuse to raise taxes and CLAIM to want cuts. But the biggest government spending is social security, medicare, and defense. Old people, old people, military people, and defense contractors . . . all big GOP constituencies.

How do they square that circle?

I know . . . the low-level tea party idiots all want welfare and foreign aid cut. But you could cut those to almost nothing and you'd still have a huge budget problem.

Isn't the GOP trapped?

Chichikov

They refuse to raise taxes and CLAIM to want cuts. But the biggest government spending is social security, medicare, and defense. Old people, old people, military people, and defense contractors . . . all big GOP constituencies.

I know . . . the low-level tea party idiots all want welfare and foreign aid cut. But you could cut those to almost nothing and you'd still have a huge budget problem.

Isn't the GOP trapped?
They hope the dems come with a proposal.
Seriously, that's their plan.
They were hoping to use the debt to scare people into supporting social security cuts, but that didn't work even when they had both houses of congress and Bush had 70% approval ratings.

Isn't the GOP trapped?

They are marketing benefits cuts as "reforms" for "sustainability," and passing themselves off as champions of the programs. Of course, the trick is that the target is not old people, it is us. Most GOP plans to cut benefits are directed towards future beneficiaries (me and you and everybody else here), not current beneficiaries. Sadly, they have a lot of younger people believing the programs are not sustainable. How many times do you hear expressions of resignation that social security won't "be there" when said person retires.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why is Lindsay graham so lazy? He keeps mentioning Greece. Shouldn't he at least use Argentina?

The power of rhetoric repeated ad nasuem.

Funny enough that this applies to EV's post (which I thought would be directly above) and Y2Kev's.

Tamanon

Banned
So, I don't understand Boehner not putting the aid package out there. It only makes sense if it was being used as another reason Boehner should lose his speakership.

Although it is giving Chris Christie a chance to spit some hot fire.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, I don't understand Boehner not putting the aid package out there. It only makes sense if it was being used as another reason Boehner should lose his speakership.

He did it as a revenge move against Cantor, who helped put it together. Basically Boehner is a dick.

Think of our future children and the massive debt they'll have to pay ... think of the children.

You know...thinking about it...why *should* our kids give any flying fucks about any debt in the future?

When they were kids there was no doom and gloom about the looming debts we had to pay or their grandparents or their great-grandparents.

It's all fucking bullshit. These people make it seem like the US governments debt is a personal problem for the American people when it's actually not even a problem for the US government itself!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You know...thinking about it...why *should* our kids give any flying fucks about any debt in the future?

When they were kids there was no doom and gloom about the looming debts we had to pay or their grandparents or their great-grandparents.

It's all fucking bullshit. These people make it seem like the US governments debt is a personal problem for the American people when it's actually not even a problem for the US government itself!

I've never really understood this. Why is the debt going to be a problem for our children? Is the debt our grandparents acrued screwing us over now? If so, no-one's ever said anything about it.

RDreamer

I've never really understood this. Why is the debt going to be a problem for our children? Is the debt our grandparents acrued screwing us over now? If so, no-one's ever said anything about it.

I think the whole "our children are going to pay for this" thing is mostly just a bad analogy, but even if you look technically there's something ideologically there. If we do keep funding a lot of these things theoretically yes we could inflate the money supply such that we would indeed need to raise taxes. The republican belief is that we never do that. Ever. Thus, our children will have to "pay" for this debt.... because their taxes might at some point in the future have to be a bit higher. Oh noes.

It's not that the debt is unsustainable. It's that it might be unsustainable if you can only ever go downward with your tax rates.

Andrew Jackson actually paid it off in 1835, but that's the only time. Not sure why it doesn't show it on there. Perhaps he got some more before the date on that tally. I dunno. But you can see the number on that year is indeed very very low.

Andrew Jackson actually paid it off in 1835, but that's the only time. Not sure why it doesn't show it on there. Perhaps he got some more before the date on that tally. I dunno. But you can see the number on that year is indeed very very low.

Don't know that specific history. He might have paid it off for a time, but it's clear that the government accrued more debt.

FyreWulff

I can't watch it, what's Christie saying?

"They forget we sent them there" (Reps to congress)

"We didn't send them there to play with themselves"

"This is internal politics"

"I'm not dealing with the Tea Party"

reporter asks same question as last one "Come up with something else, why would you think my answer would be any different to the last person that asked that?"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If the GOP pisses him off enough I can see him ditching them. He'll probably go independent before he goes Dem though. We might have a Bull Moose Party situation on our hands in four years! Can you imagine how amazing that would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom