• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

But Cantor would still have the power to bring bills to the floor. Just like in the recent fiasco, it does not matter if there are enough votes for something to pass if the leadership does not support it.

There are ways around that, though. It's relatively easy to argue the merits of merely allowing a vote on a clean debt ceiling increase, and with procedural gimmicks it's possible for a majority of the House to force a vote on something, and if it only looks pretty likely that that will happen Cantor will bring it to the floor rather than get shown up.

thefro

There are ways around that, though. It's relatively easy to argue the merits of merely allowing a vote on a clean debt ceiling increase, and with procedural gimmicks it's possible for a majority of the House to force a vote on something, and if it only looks pretty likely that that will happen Cantor will bring it to the floor rather than get shown up.

Granted, the Republicans don't have nearly as much of a majority for 13-14, but they still have plenty to control the chamber. If the margin was 10 votes instead of 30 you'd see a lot of discharge petitions potentially (for instance, the NY/NJ Republicans + the Dems would have enough votes to bring the Sandy bill to the floor)

Jesus, Howard Fineman (Huffington Post) was on Tony Kornheiser's radio show today talking about the fiscal cliff and he actually said we didn't avert the cliff and just put if off to a much higher cliff in two months with the debt ceiling stuff. When Tony asked him what the debt ceiling was, he said, and I kid you not, they have to vote to raise the ceiling so we can borrow trillions of more dollars from the Chinese and from our children.

Isn't it this guy's job to understand this stuff? Fucking media.

About as infuriating as TheHill "journalist" on CNN saying last night that the fiscal cliff gridlock is because of both sides not wanting to compromise.

Gotchaye

So you guys are saying having a crazier speaker of the house will make for more Republican rebels?

I'm sorry but I'm not really seeing the logic behind that. Especially since the rebels right now are with Cantor. Of the majority that stayed with Cantor over the compromise none would break away from him, and of the minority that stayed with Boehner over the compromise, I'd imagine at least a few will follow party loyalty and just join Cantor's ranks.

But nobody's interested in the far-right members. They're not winnable votes. The winnable votes are the moderate members who would be alienated by Cantor as Speaker. The dynamic recently has been the Republican caucus maintaining unity through compromises on the part of Boehner and those like him. The far-right wing was already essentially in control because they cared much less about maintaining unity. Moderate Republicans went along for fear of primary challenges and because, when they really needed a unified vote on something, they wanted to have political capital to spend on producing a unified vote. They've presumably learned in the last week that the crazies in the House don't give a shit about their political capital (see Plan B and last night's vote), and were quite willing to hang the moderate members out to dry. Cantor taking over as Speaker would cement that. Why would the moderate Republicans continue to care nearly as much about party unity? Members in not severely conservative districts would have a whole lot more reason to reverse course and start campaigning on being bipartisan and so forth. It only takes 15% of the Republican caucus to make a huge difference.

But nobody's interested in the far-right members. They're not winnable votes. The winnable votes are the moderate members who would be alienated by Cantor as Speaker. The dynamic recently has been the Republican caucus maintaining unity through compromises on the part of Boehner and those like him. The far-right wing was already essentially in control because they cared much less about maintaining unity. Moderate Republicans went along for fear of primary challenges and because, when they really needed a unified vote on something, they wanted to have political capital to spend on producing a unified vote. They've presumably learned in the last week that the crazies in the House don't give a shit about their political capital (see Plan B and last night's vote), and were quite willing to hang the moderate members out to dry. Cantor taking over as Speaker would cement that. Why would the moderate Republicans continue to care nearly as much about party unity? Members in not severely conservative districts would have a whole lot more reason to reverse course and start campaigning on being bipartisan and so forth. It only takes 15% of the Republican caucus to make a huge difference.

This is why I would love to see Cantor get the job. I guess part of my love for this hinges upon an Obama who has grown a pair. Cantor ensures the party doubles down on the crazy, thus hurting their brand even more (outside of the angry old white man vote). Obama would have to be willing to play hardball though. The divide in the Republican Party only grows with cantor at the helm and a tough Obama to call them out.

Ugh

Reid will postpone filibuster reform
By Alexander Bolton - 01/02/13 04:36 PM ET
Tweet

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will postpone filibuster reform until later this month, giving him time to negotiate a deal with Republicans, say Democratic aides.

A group of liberal Democrats had been pushing Reid to trigger the so-called "nuclear option" on Thursday, the first day of the 113th Congress, to make it more difficult for the minority to stall legislation and nominees.

A senior Democratic aide said Reid will instead recess the chamber at the end of Thursday’s proceedings to extend the legislative day until later this month.

This would preserve his ability to amend the Senate’s filibuster rules on the first legislative day of the 113th Congress, even if that reform would not come until late January.

A Democratic aide said Reid is hoping to negotiate a standing order or rules change to improve the chamber’s efficiency when it resumes work, likely on Jan. 22, after President Obama’s inauguration.

“I think the conversation is going to continue between [Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell [(R-Ky.)] and Harry Reid about this. I think they’re going to see if there’s a way to reach a bipartisan agreement, they’re still talking,” said Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.).

Reid and McConnell will use a bipartisan proposal crafted by Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) as the basis of their talks.

Levin and McCain, the chairman and ranking Republican of the Senate Armed Services Committee, respectively, have put forward a three-part reform of the filibuster rule.

Their proposal would make it easier for the majority leader to take up new business by empowering him to deny the minority the ability to filibuster motions to proceed. In exchange, the leader would have to guarantee the minority leader and a bill’s minority manager each the right to offer an amendment, even an amendment on non-germane business.

The leader would have the option of scheduling an immediate vote to end a filibuster of a motion to proceed if five additional senators from each caucus sign a cloture motion.

Additionally, the Levin-McCain plan would speed the process for bringing legislation to conference negotiations with the House. It would collapse the three motions currently needed to proceed to conference into one motion that could be voted on after two hours of debate.

Their proposal would also speed consideration of lower-level executive and judicial branch nominees. Motions to end debate on non-Cabinet-level officials and district court nominees could receive votes after two hours of debate.

Levin and McCain have proposed putting the new process in place through a standing order, which would need to be approved by three-fifths of the Senate and would sunset at the end of two years.

If Reid used the nuclear option, which proponents call the “Constitutional option,” he could change the Senate’s filibuster rules with a simple majority vote. But it’s a controversial tactic that has never been actually employed to change Senate rules. The threat of its use has motivated the minority party to broker compromises in the past.

Liberals say the Levin-McCain proposal is inadequate because it would not implement their highest-priority reform, the so-called talking filibuster.

Sens. Tom Udall (D-N.M.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore), the leading advocates for filibuster reform, say lawmakers who filibuster legislation should be required to actively hold the floor and debate. This would make it more arduous for senators who want to hold up business — they would have to organize teams to hold the floor for days or even weeks on end.

Rumors

Ron Meyer Jr., spokesperson for the activist group American Majority Action, Appeared on MSNBC with Martin Bashir where he said that he is hearing rumors form reliable sources that House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) will resign the speakership tonight.

“We need a new Speaker,” Meyer said. “There are serious rumors that at the conference tonight, at 5 o’clock, John Boehner will announce to the conference that he is resigning as Speaker of the House.”

Bashir said he found that hard to believe, to which Meyer replied that he also found it unlikely. Bashir pressed and asked if there was any evidence to back this up or a candidate who is seeking to replace Boehner as speaker. Meyer replied that he thought Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) was spearheading this “coup,” but had no evidence to back that up.

“I’m not going to name names, just watch tonight,” Meyer said.

Snake

The most recent comment get the award for most strained insulting nickname for a policital party ever.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present:

Typical PolieGAF poster, attacking real Americans for their innovative contributions to the field of partisan namecalling development.

Clevinger

I cannot express how much I loathe this man right now. Jesus Christ. So incredibly stupid. So incredibly cowardly.

The one thing he can do to improve the situation for the next two years and maybe more, and he throws it away.

Remember when I said Reid was talking bullshit and wouldn't do anything about the filibuster, and people argued this was "different" because Reid had "finally" realized senate republicans were beyond the pale

I hate being right fellas

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Congrats, you are PoliGAF's half of a stopped clock.

Clevinger

Eh. I will wait until the final 'deal' at the end of the month.

I will laugh, laugh so fucking hard if McConnell doesn't even bother with the deal. Because after that first day, if McConnell doesn't agree to it then there's no reform whatsoever, not even the toothless stuff McConnell will agree to.

I almost hope he does just to show what a fucking idiot Reid is. It would be the ultimate Charlie Brown football moment.

What will happen is McConnell will agree to a few tiny things, then Democrats will pat themselves on the back for being bipartisan and no will give a shit about that or remember it, and then things will go back to largely how they were.

Remember when I said Reid was talking bullshit and wouldn't do anything about the filibuster, and people argued this was "different" because Reid had "finally" realized senate republicans were beyond the pale

I hate being right fellas
It's sad when people do this after the fact, but it's even sadder when someone does this preemptively. Things might even go down exactly as you say/said, but your post is utterly sad.

So can we please stop pretending like Reid isn't a putz?

But he's a tough former boxer! He's a changed man, did you see how hard he has fought recently!

Reid is a product of the senate establishment, always has been always will be. He would rather pray that obstruction senators grow up or lose election than do anything to alter the cherished historical establishment he is a member of.

Mannnnnn.

How does he expect McConell to agree to anything? "Hey dude, we want to change the rules so you'll be less of an asshole. Any suggestions?"

reports are Boehner will no longer negotiate with Obama 1 on 1 in closed meetings (if he's even speaker) and everything will be through the legislature, I suppose.

salty as fuck.

House Republicans will consider a total of 32 amendments, including two that would establish new committees. Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana is offering an amendment that would create a Select Committee on Welfare Reform while Rep. Frank R. Wolf of Virginia wants to create a House Select Committee on the Terrorist Attack in Benghazi.

LMAO. An entire committee on Benghazi?

Averon

Bluster from Boehner to save his speakership? Not a coincidence this new, tougher Boehner talk is leaking the night before the vote.

reports are Boehner will no longer negotiate with Obama 1 on 1 in closed meetings (if he's even speaker) and everything will be through the legislature, I suppose.

salty as fuck.

LMAO. An entire committee on Benghazi?

What the fuck? Didn't a big report come out casting all sorts of blame on the State Department and 2 or 3 people resigned?

Are they going to put them on double-secret probation with the new committee? How long are they going to ride that dead horse?

They went full retard on Benghazi thinking that it was their trump card in the election -- I mean, Obama had no other holes in FP -- and now they can't back away from it.

The American people, as a whole, stop caring about Benghazi after "Please proceed, Governor." The factual checking by the moderator AND the cheering of the audience pretty much cemented the notion to the average joe that the Administration didn't do anything inherently wrong and took steps to bring the perpetrators to justice.

They lost the Benghazi debate back in October and yet two months later they STILL can't let it go.

Jesus christ, these clowns are more stubborn than roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom