• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder how people will find out about the subsidies, how they'll apply for Obamacare, etc. Having worked with insurance for the last few years, I find many patients tend to be pretty good at figuring out ways to save money, so they'll find out about the subsidies one way or another. I just hope the information is easy to find/readily available.

Subsidies are rolled into the price you pay I believe. IE: If you are eligible for $200 in subsidies, all plans are just $200 dollars less.

Tamanon

Banned
Lindsay Graham is going to introduce an authorization of military force against...Iran for some reason in October.....

Weird to say the least.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
From the teabagger that's challenging Mitch, trying to defend himself for taking a $100k government grant to help save his business:

"Mitch McConnell is bringing up the loan Matt received to help rebuild his factory because McConnell doesn't want to talk about all the bailouts in his voting record," said Bevin spokeswoman Sarah Durand, "such as the Wall Street bailout and the bailout of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac."

"If Mitch McConnell had ever run a business or worked in the private sector, he would recognize what a commendable thing Matt did: He took a nearly bankrupt company, turned it around, saved American jobs and kept a historic bell manufacturing company in America," Durand, the Louisville Tea Party President continued. "Sadly, Mitch McConnell is so out of touch, he doesn’t even understand that saving American jobs is a good thing."

Remember, it's not welfare if you're a teabagger.

"Some of them are valedictorians — and their parents brought them in. It wasn't their fault. It's true in some cases, but they aren't all valedictorians. They weren't all brought in by their parents.

"For everyone who's a valedictorian, there's another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds — and they’ve got hands the size of cantaloupes because they're hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert,” King tells Newsmax. “Those people would be legalized with the same act."

But even by granting citizenship to a small portion of the 11 million illegals, "what we've done is we've set aside and destroyed the rule of law, at least with regard to immigration," he says. "We will never get it restored again."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ki...mmigration/2013/07/18/id/515882#ixzz2ZuHepO2m

Oh god, please keep putting Steven King on TV. please please please. This guy cannot open his mouth without insulting immigrants in the most vile ways.

Talon

Thanks, Weiner. Yet another reason to push the following actually relevant stories further down the queue:

Kerry's Mideast Talks
The WH briefing Congress on what Syrian Rebel Aid would look like yesterday
The Abu Ghraib Prison Event

Thanks, Weiner. Yet another reason to push the following actually relevant stories further down the queue:

Kerry's Mideast Talks

PENIS PENIS PENIS

Also, Diablos is having a meltdown in the post office thread

Kerry's Mideast Talks

All of those are deliberate distractions from Snowden!

Jooney

Kerry's Mideast Talks

Or the media can choose to focus on these stories instead of covering scandals, royals and criminal justice cases.

EDIT: The NC voter suppression measures linked below is exactly what I'm talking about. I bet this will barely make a ripple in the national news. But you won't stop hearing about the royal baby / Weiner for the next couple of days. The media makes this choice.

Tamanon

Banned
Per Dax:

Because NC is out of the spotlight too much. Details on the new election law that's about to be passed.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/17539...cans-push-extreme-voter-suppression-measures#

If anyone had any doubt about the bill’s intent to suppress voters, all he/she has to do is read it. The bill now does the following:

*shortens early voting by 1 week,
*eliminates same day registration and provisional voting if at wrong precinct,
*prevents counties from offering voting on last Saturday before the election beyond 1 pm,
*prevents counties from extending poll hours by one hour on election day in extraordinary circumstances (like lengthy lines),
*eliminates state supported voter registration drives and preregistration for 16/17 year olds,
*repeals voter owned judicial elections and straight party voting,
*increases number of people who can challenge voters inside the precinct, and
*purges voter rolls more often.

Meanwhile, it floods the democratic process with more money. The bill makes it easier for outside groups to spend on electioneering and reduces disclosure of the sources. It also raises the contribution limits to $5k per person per election from $4k and indexes to amount to rise with inflation.

So not really about voter fraud at all, more about restricting voting.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That's pretty damn sorry. Six months, people. It took six months for Republicans to really turn North Carolina to shit.

Somewhere in the NC Capitol building are two Republican reps fist bumping each other.

But y'all should have seen the signs coming. First it was Ted Price wanting to open up a studio in Raleigh and now this.

Btw, why was Dax banned?

Fuchsdh

To be fair to Cruz, in Canada and as shown in the UK pastors are being limited in what they're able to preach. I don't see that happening in the states thanks to the 1st Amendment and the fact that our population is so divided but still, there's a bit of validity to the concerns.

Some acquaintances I know who are very conservative are getting sued by a gay couple because they refused to let them host their wedding reception at their location. It's private property, if they don't wanna' rent to you who cares, there's plenty of people out there who would rather have your money. They shouldn't have any disproportionate right to decide what benefits the federal and state governments will give and whether or not they give marriage licenses, and in return they should be allowed to ignore it and go on with what they're doing. Everybody wins.

Jooney

Some acquaintances I know who are very conservative are getting sued by a gay couple because they refused to let them host their wedding reception at their location. It's private property, if they don't wanna' rent to you who cares, there's plenty of people out there who would rather have your money. They shouldn't have any disproportionate right to decide what benefits the federal and state governments will give and whether or not they give marriage licenses, and in return they should be allowed to ignore it and go on with what they're doing. Everybody wins.

Replace gay couple with a minority or inter-racial couple. Is discrimination then still ok?

Private entities shouldn't be able to discriminate against protected classes - and that includes sexual orientation.

Kerry's Mideast Talks

Anyone have some links to good coverage of these issues?

Fuchsdh

Replace gay couple with a minority or inter-racial couple. Is discrimination then still ok?

Private entities shouldn't be able to discriminate against protected classes - and that includes sexual orientation.

I don't think people have any real right to have a wedding where they want; if the proprietor wants to be a bigot, it's their business that will suffer. I know a lot of old photographers who either transitioned to wedding photography when stock portfolios destroyed their business or died off; I know many more wedding photographers who are now making a living almost entirely off being open to homosexual couples. Boycotts did much more than laws to break bus and lunch counter segregation.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't think people have any real right to have a wedding where they want; if the proprietor wants to be a bigot, it's their business that will suffer. I know a lot of old photographers who either transitioned to wedding photography when stock portfolios destroyed their business or died off; I know many more wedding photographers who are now making a living almost entirely off being open to homosexual couples. Boycotts did much more than laws to break bus and lunch counter segregation.
The problem with that logic is that certain parts of the country will actually encourage that behavior, or even punish businesses that will serve certain types of people. And then there's phenomena like Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. Maybe if we were a more progressive country, we wouldn't need protected classes, but as it stands, we're not there yet.

Clevinger

I don't think people have any real right to have a wedding where they want; if the proprietor wants to be a bigot, it's their business that will suffer. I know a lot of old photographers who either transitioned to wedding photography when stock portfolios destroyed their business or died off; I know many more wedding photographers who are now making a living almost entirely off being open to homosexual couples.

Gay couples are a tiny portion of the market. Unless there was a popular boycott, they wouldn't be hurt at all. Hell, they might even get rewarded for their bigotry like Chick-fil-A was.

East Lake

The SEC's Top Cop Is Cashing In as a Wall Street Lawyer, and You Should Feel OK About It

And here's where I think it's important to step in with the realization that the news media has, for various professional and economic reasons, a tendency toward a systematic negativity bias. Imagine a scenario in which S.E.C. lawyers had a really hard time getting private sector jobs and almost invariably ended up needing to take a pay cut to obtain a position outside of the government. Then we'd get lots of stories about overpaid and incompetent federal bureaucrats, living high on posh government salaries (S.E.C. lawyers don't earn much compared to top private sector attorneys, but they definitely earn more than the average American) despite a lack of viable skills or job prospects. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't because "Longstanding Practice Is Basically OK" is not very a good story pitch to your editors. But there's actually specific academic research on the question of how the revolving door impacts S.E.C. enforcement actions and it concludes that S.E.C. lawyers who rotate out into the private sector are more aggressive in their enforcement efforts than those who don't.

If you manage to unplug from the revolving door narrative for a second, you can see why this makes sense—if you spend your time as a government lawyer being extremely lackadaisical in your prosecutorial efforts that's going to make you look like a bad lawyer who people don't want to hire.

Here's the study if anyone wants to read it. Going through it now.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2125560

What a dumb fuck Weiner is. I have no words. Zero. How can you still have the gall to send dickpics to strangers after public humiliation of your name plastered in every newspaper with a blurred out picture of your cock. This man has no shame at all. I can guarantee everyone right now that IF he wins the mayorship, he's gonna go back to sexting with gullible 20 year olds in no time. Dude literally gets off on power tripping.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What a dumb fuck Weiner is. I have no words. Zero. How can you still have the gall to send dickpics to strangers after public humiliation of your name plastered in every newspaper with a blurred out picture of your cock. This man has no shame at all. I can guarantee everyone right now that IF he wins the mayorship, he's gonna go back to sexting with gullible 20 year olds in no time. Dude literally gets off on power tripping.

Unless he has a really amazing debate performance or everyone else melts down he's basically done. The Dem primary may as well be the general considering the GOP contenders. I've never even heard of any of them.

Unless he has a really amazing debate performance or everyone else melts down he's basically done. The Dem primary may as well be the general considering the GOP contenders. I've never even heard of any of them.

Unless Scott Brown moves to New York, of course.

AntoneM

BUT IT'S NOT THE WEDDING. You said it was a wedding reception. Would the owner's, who you know, have an objection to a gay couple renting out the space to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of their first date?

On a more normative level; should people be denied the choice to rent out a space for a party based on their sexual orientation?

If I were a New Yorker, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom