• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Also, the political fallout. If the Pew poll is to be accurate Dems do not have anything to feel good about despite having a (small) lead. If a shutdown drags on it hurts lots of Dems who have an election next year, should the public support for their position go south.

I was going to say "How soon we forget how to read polls!" but then I remembered.

There have been three or four polls about the possibility of a shutdown in the last couple weeks. They've all showed that people would blame the Republicans more, by varying amounts. The Pew poll had the smallest spread of the four.

The strong implication is that the Pew poll is the lower bracket on this question -- meaning that the worst case scenario is that they'd blame Republicans only a LITTLE more than Democrats, and the best case scenario is that they'd blame them a lot more.

Now, the accurate critique of these polls is that it's very difficult to effectively poll people on what they WOULD do if something happened, for the simple reason that they probably don't really know. But if we're willing to accept the polls, the Pew one has no particular reason to be more accurate than the others, and given that it's the outlier, it probably isn't.

edit: I would also observe, from an electoral point of view, that the damage is done -- the Democrats in office now are going to get blamed for anything to do with Obamacare no matter what. If there were any actual delay, they'd get all the negatives of the law, and none of the advantages they might expect once it goes into effect. So there's really nothing for them to worry about from that direction -- it's kind of a "deadly ground" sort of situation.

The deadline to get health insurance is December 31st correct? In order to not receive the penalty tax? I would get it right now but I'm planning to move cross country in the next 2 months.

I'm pissed off. I just watched an episode of Batman: the Brave and the Bold featuring an over the top patriotic superhero named Uncle Sam who fights villains with his belief in the spirit of freedom and the entire episode had this overly-American aesthetic with color and music choices and it just made me realize that I remember when that kind of blind but optimistic "I think this country is awesome" patriotism was something I could actually engage in and I feel like I can't anymore because those aesthetics and that rhetoric have been so fully accosted by a segment of the country that I so fully disagree with that I don't want to blatantly wave a flag anymore in case someone thinks I'm one of them.

I'm a huge captain america fan so I always distinguish patriotism and loving america with the over the top manifestations in the tea party.

I have no problem rocking American flag pants.

pigeon

Banned
The deadline to get health insurance is December 31st correct? In order to not receive the penalty tax? I would get it right now but I'm planning to move cross country in the next 2 months.

There's an automatic exemption if you were insuranceless for less than three months, so the real deadline is March.

The Republican preserve was created on GAF once they moved the megathreads to community.

Very few of you participate in all of the discussions on the main OT forum. I would say some of them are what I consider to be Republican dominated or Republican view dominated.

Another question about the debt ceiling.

So some right-wingers are saying (and have been saying for a long time) that it's okay if we don't raise the debt ceiling cause we can just pay the interest and thus won't default. So we can, in turn, not worry about not paying out for medicare, SS, or whatever. But wouldn't not paying ANY of things count as default? I mean, it doesn't make sense to me how you can only pay part of your bill, while not being effected on your credit.

A bond is just a promise to pay money. Social security is a promise to pay money. Medicare is a promise to pay money. So, yes, failing to honor promises on any of those things is a "default." We are conditioned to care about defaulting on promises to make bond payments more, because those promises are more important to wealthier people who benefit from the bond program.

Markets will de facto default the US. Interest rates would spike hard, so even paying that becomes doubtful.

The Fed determines interest rates exogenously.

It just depends on what you mean by "default". They're not talking about it as a moral danger, but a financial one. There are practical difficulties, and suddenly cutting off Medicare would be terrible for the economy by itself, but cutting off Medicare isn't going to directly impact the trust investors have in US Treasuries. It's not a default on fungible debt, confidence in which is a big part of what directly determines how easy it is for the US to borrow money. Demonstrating an ability and a willingness to fuck over absolutely everyone else before fucking over bondholders would probably increase confidence in US Treasuries, because it sets a precedent for future debt ceiling fights that bondholders won't be touched.

So long as the US government is empowered to impose and collect taxes, it does not need the trust of investors provided that the Congress change the law that prohibits the Treasury from borrowing directly from the Federal Reserve (as it did from 1914 to 1935). Below is testimony from Marriner Eccles (chairman of the Fed under FDR) before Congress in 1947 urging it to reinstate Treasury's ability to borrow from the Fed:

Mr. SPENCE. I assume the reason the authority [for the Treasury to borrow directly from the Federal Reserve] was repealed in 1935 was because of the existing conditions, then, when there was no reason for the authority: is that correct?

Mr. ECCLES. Well, as I remember the discussion—and I have referred to it in this statement—there was a feeling that this left the door wide open to the Government to borrow directly from the Federal Reserve bank all that was necessary to finance the Government deficit, and that took off any restraint toward getting a balanced budget.

Of course, in my opinion, that really had no relationship to budgetary deficits, for the reason that it is the Congress which decides on the deficits or the surpluses, and not the Treasury. If Congress appropriates more money than Congress levies taxes to pay, then, there is naturally a deficit, and the Treasury is obligated to borrow. The fact that they cannot go directly to the Federal Reserve bank to borrow does not mean that they cannot go indirectly to the Federal Reserve bank, for the very reason that there is no limit to the amount that the Federal Reserve System can buy in the market. That is the way the war was financed.

Therefore, if the Treasury has to finance a heavy deficit, the Reserve System creates the condition in the money market to enable the borrowing to be done, so that, in effect, the Reserve System indirectly finances the Treasury through the money market, and that is how the interest rates were stabilized as they were during the war, and as they will have to continue to be in the future. So it is an illusion to think that to eliminate or to restrict the direct borrowing privilege reduces the amount of deficit financing. Or that the market controls the interest rate. Neither is true.​

http://fraser.stlouisfed.org/docs/historical/house/1947hr_directpurchgov.pdf (PDF)

The only things I could think of are the Vitter Amendment or something to hurt women (i.e. contraceptives).

But given how the nature of a shutdown would be so out of the ordinary, all I'm saying is it would be hard to predict where things land. Lots of crazy things could go down as they try to hash something out to get the government running again.

Also, the political fallout. If the Pew poll is to be accurate Dems do not have anything to feel good about despite having a (small) lead. If a shutdown drags on it hurts lots of Dems who have an election next year, should the public support for their position go south.

That Pew poll came out on September 23rd btw. More recent, favorable poll for democrats
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57604632/republicans-may-take-more-blame-for-shutdown-poll-says/

You know I'm really curious why the GOP thinks a one-year delay of Obamacare is a reasonable demand for a bill that funds the government for like six weeks.

What are they going to do then? Demand another year delay of Obamacare? When does it fucking end?

You know I'm really curious why the GOP thinks a one-year delay of Obamacare is a reasonable demand for a bill that funds the government for like six weeks.

What are they going to do then? Demand another year delay of Obamacare? When does it fucking end?

Probably the repeal of the Emancipation Proclamation.

GAF needs to get better at not piling on people with different views. That Republican thread did not go over well at all, mostly due to people diverting the topic to a bunch of combative nonsense instead of focusing on the topic at hand.

GAF needs to get better at not piling on people with different views. That Republican thread did not go over well at all, mostly due to people diverting the topic to a bunch of combative nonsense instead of focusing on the topic at hand.

The republican position right now is completely, totally indefensible. There was only one way that thread was going to go.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
CNN latest poll: Most Americans blame GOP for shutdown, say they're acting like "spoiled children." Numbers to come.

So Reid has gone from ball-less to bad-ass?

Not directed at you specifically, but PoliGAF, and I guess GAF in general, has made me grow to hate the phrase "He needs to grow some balls!".

Testicles are a very fragile pair of reproductive organs. They aren't indicative of any signs of toughness! Especially when half the population can be tough without 'em.

ugggggggghhhhhhhh

Not directed at you specifically, but PoliGAF, and I guess GAF in general, has made me grow to hate the phrase "He needs to grow some balls!".

Testicles are a very fragile pair of reproductive organs. They aren't indicative of any signs of toughness! Especially when half the population can be tough without 'em.

ugggggggghhhhhhhh
Well we can call him a pussy?They can take a pounding

:p

Jooney

ugggggggghhhhhhhh

Would you prefer Harry Reid grow a vagina? I hear those things can take a pounding.

shamelessly stolen

EDIT : Beaten by a fox! Damn you!

Ted Cruz argued that going from a repeal to a defund is a compromise.

lmao. Sadly, there are people who actually eat this horseshit up.

What I wish Gregory or anyone would ask Cruz is "If Reid tomorrow says the gov't will shutdown unless the House passes the Senate bill to raise taxes on the wealthy," what would your response to that be?
Could you tweet something like this so I could retweet it?

Two things!

News on that CNN poll:
According to the poll, which was conducted Friday through Sunday, 46% say they would blame congressional Republicans for a government shutdown, with 36% saying the president would be more responsible and 13% pointing fingers at both the GOP in Congress and Obama.

And Christie says the people of New Jersey should vote on same-sex marriage...but he's still going to appeal the ruling.
So then we'd reproduce by scissoring?

Can't we artificially create sperm? Pretty sure boys aren't needed anymore.

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, it's vaginas to balls. Penises weren't brought up.

But I agree with her on the subtle misogyny of the phrase "Get some balls" or "he's got balls".

So in theory the government could be shutdown for a year and no one could really do anything about it, except budge/compromise their political positions?

I highly doubt it for three reasons. First, congressional members could be charged with subversion because they have repeatedly ordered Obama by law to do three things: tax, spend, and borrow. However, he can't adhere to those authorized instructions because of the levels Congress has set. It's a caculated pattern by Republicans that should land them in jail if they follow through on their threats. You never know because of the financial crisis, but I think that's one reason a prolonged shutdown is unsustainable. Criminal and civil charges.

Another would be too many missed payments piling up after a couple of months. The treasury can make nearly 80 million payments per month and current systems are (politically) not designed to selectively pick and choose payments on such a massive scale/period of time.

Additionally, the global financial system is built on the assumption the US cannot involuntarily default and payments arrive on time 99.9% of the time. So, the elite would have their feet up Republican's asses because of the default. So, I think at best it could last maybe a month or two before heads start rolling. A year is impossible.

Whoa. Go Angus King.
Tuesday begins a 6-month race to enroll as many uninsured people as possible in the Affordable Care Act’s insurance exchanges. For the markets to be effective, they need millions of customers, and for elderly participants not to vastly outnumber younger ones.

It’s in this context that well-heeled conservative groups are appealing to uninsured young people to remain uninsured — part of a backdoor effort to undermine the structural integrity of the health care law.

Their efforts have attracted the attention of one senator who recounts how being insured saved his life when he was a young adult, and who has since then watched others die due to lack of coverage. And he doesn’t mince words with those who’d take risks with other people’s health security.

“That’s a scandal — those people are guilty of murder in my opinion,” Sen. Angus King, a Maine Independent who caucuses with Democrats, told me in a Friday interview. “Some of those people they persuade are going to end up dying because they don’t have health insurance. For people who do that to other people in the name of some obscure political ideology is one of the grossest violations of our humanity I can think of. This absolutely drives me crazy.”

“I tried to look up the phone number for one of these guys … to ask “are you aware of what you’re doing?” he added.

Forty years ago, when King was 29 years old, he was provided health insurance as a staffer for then-Sen. Bill Hathaway, R-Maine, and for the first time in a decade went to a clinic for a checkup.

“I had a health policy that included in it a free annual physical as a part of the policy and they had evening clinic hours. And I wouldn’t have taken the day off — and if that hadn’t been covered under the insurance there’s no doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t have gone to have the checkup,” King said.

“It was a routine checkup and the doctor found this mole, and I went in a week later to have the stitches out. The doctor told me I’d better sit down and that I had melanoma…. A month later I found myself having every cancer test you could imagine. Ultimately I had a fairly major surgery. The point of the story is that without the surgery I would have died.”​
More at the link. Badass.

Arksy

As a conservative (classical liberal) of the Australian persuasion, I find it really upsetting that these is the kind of tactics that are being used in the US.

I just came back from a three month trip in the States, my first time and I thought it was a spectacular country. Truly a marvelous place full of natural beauty, a great civic culture with a sense of pride and nationalism (in a good way) and some of the friendliest and most hospitable people I've ever met.

However, despite being a conservative even I could see the consequences of having your health care system. I almost dislike saying this but you guys need to move to a public UHC system like Australia, where it's private or State run hospitals that are subsidised by the Federal Government, or a Singapore style health accounts system where the government still covers those who can't pay.

It's just sad seeing the elimination of the moderate right from the face of Federal politics in the US.

Interesting. I mean that would be a great solution in this case, because you'd be able to vacate both houses totally and hold completely fresh elections for all 450 HoR members and all 100 senators.

You could also run on an Obamacare platform and the democrats would probably win in a landslide (I'm not entirely sure, but from what I understand the public is very much in support of Obamacare?)
Even if Obama could call for another election, it wouldn't do much good if the House remains as gerrymandered as it is. We also need a nonpartisan federal redistricting committee or a nonpartisan state agency for each state.
However, despite being a conservative even I could see the consequences of having your health care system. I almost dislike saying this but you guys need to move to a public UHC system like Australia, where it's private or State run hospitals that are subsidised by the Federal Government, or a Singapore style health accounts system where the government still covers those who can't pay.

It's just sad seeing the elimination of the moderate right from the face of Federal politics in the US.
This is what we have to argue against.

Chait and The Monkey Cage are having an argument on Twitter over Chait's words in an article, but the overall debate is this: If a party wins election in a country (the president, in this case, wins reelection), does that party have a mandate to pursue its policy? And if not, does that winning party have a right to pursue its policy?

fallagin

Even if Obama could call for another election, it wouldn't do much good if the House remains as gerrymandered as it is. We also need a nonpartisan federal redistricting committee or a nonpartisan state agency for each state.

This is what we have to argue against.

Chait and The Monkey Cage are having an argument on Twitter over Chait's words in an article, but the overall debate is this: If a party wins election in a country (the president, in this case, wins reelection), does that party have a mandate to pursue its policy? And if not, does that winning party have a right to pursue its policy?

The monkey cage sounds misguided.. Sure the election didnt say that the republicans couldnt vote any way they want(they can do that by right of being elected), but to say that its 'ok' to take the US hostage is wildly ignorant.

The monkey cage sounds misguided.. Sure the election didnt say that the republicans couldnt vote any way they want(they can do that by right of being elected), but to say that its 'ok' to take the US hostage is wildly ignorant.
The Monkey Cage is usually great. John Sides is arguing that because most voters choose candidates first then justify their policy reasons, it means that winners don't have a right to implement their agenda.

Which I don't know why we have elections then. I posted the article in this thread yesterday.

Arksy

Shutting down the entire government because you don't get your way is....a bit extreme.

Why can't the republicans compromise on this? I just don't understand. It makes no sense to me. Especially considering Obamacare is still pretty bad on the scheme of things when you compare it to you know, health care systems in the rest of the industrialised world.

Shutting down the entire government because you don't get your way is....a bit extreme.

Why can't the republicans compromise on this? I just don't understand. It makes no sense to me.
Because they don't want to spend the money to insure everyone, and they're afraid it'll be a success.

fallagin

The Monkey Cage is usually great. John Sides is arguing that because most voters choose candidates first then justify their policy reasons, it means that winners don't have a right to implement their agenda.

Which I don't know why we have elections then. I posted the article in this thread yesterday.

Oh, I guess I misread it then. Im a bit tired atm :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom