• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sounds to me like Boehner thinks the Republican party can come away from this ahead politically if the government is shut down after a senate rejection of a bill with just the Vitter amendment. I hope he isn't that stupid.

Would the senate reject a bill with just the vitter amendment tied to it?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
House moderates = house nonidiots who know republicans are going to take a braining on this issue.

Why are people saying a shut down is bad for the economy?

Immigration: The Department of Homeland Security will no longer operate its E-Verify program, which means that businesses will not be able to check on the legal immigration status of prospective employees during the shutdown.

Sounds like a hiring bonanza to me!

Diablos

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) calls the Cruz wing of party "lemmings with suicide vests...because jumping to your death is not enough."

LMAO

+1 sane GOPers; thought I'd never say that.

"We're pretty much out of options at this point,'' said Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.). "They're all giddy about it. You know who benefits the most here from a shutdown? The Democrats benefit and they know that."
<Tea_Party> WE GOTTA PRIMARY THIS GUY'S ASS ASAP

Diablos

oPexjuj.png

King claims he has 20+. If that's true and he's serious, he should go to Pelosi and set up a discharge petition - ie force the clean CR onto the floor.
I saw on dailykos they can't use the discharge petition in this instance. I don't know whether that's true though.

Though a House revolt would be hilarious and a stunning rebuke to Boehner.

I saw on dailykos they can't use the discharge petition in this instance. I don't know whether that's true though.

fill me in on this discharge petition

edit: nevermind, from KOS:

Just a short diary to clear something up:

Several people (including me) have been asking why the option of a Discharge Petition has not been floated to bring a clean CR bill to the floor of the House despite the Speaker's attempts to block it.

We have seen this floated for the Immigration Bill earlier this year. We saw it of the middle class tax cuts, jobless benefits and other legislative options.

So, I did some research to see why this isn't on the table and the short answer is it cannot be used on this Continuing Resolution.

Details to back this up below the fold

1. A discharge petition can only be brought up after a measure has sat in committee for 30 legislative days without being reported.
1a. Unless it is a measure that can be classified as a "special rule" per the Rules Committee, in which case it can be discharged after 7 legislative days.

2. If the discharged bill relates to the budget, it requires that it immediately be referred to the Committee of the Whole, which is essentially the entire house, whereby the Speaker appoints a session "chair" (traditionally a member that does not hold any other chairman positions on any committee) to manage a full and open amendment process (which means in this case that the Tea Baggers will just re-amend it to defund/delay Obamacare)

3. A discharge petition is just that: A Petition, not a bill or vote. Representatives have to SIGN it and it sits as pending until enough signatures are added or the calendar year ends at which time all pending petitions are voided. Once enough signatures are gathered, the bill in question is automatically put on the Discharge Calendar which has priority as "special business" on the second and fourth Monday of each month. It does not mean it comes to floor immediately, unless the Speaker chooses to bring it up.

4. Note: If a discharge petition is successfully brought but the bill is defeated anyway, no further discharge petitions can be used on any bill of the same subject matter for the rest of the year.

F

King claims he has 20+. If that's true and he's serious, he should go to Pelosi and set up a discharge petition - ie force the clean CR onto the floor.
You want the government to be shutdown for a month? A bill needs to be stuck in committee for at least thirty days before you can discharge it.

edit: ah, I understand that the discharge can't work after all

the story on the moderates
Moderates Revolt Over CR

For almost three years, the story in the House has been about Speaker John Boehner&#8217;s restive right flank causing him problems. But Republican moderates have apparently had enough.

In what is by far their boldest stand since the GOP took control of the House in 2010, a group of them are threatening to bring down a vote on the rule for the government-funding bill scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

New York representative Peter King is leading the charge, and his fellow New Yorker Michael Grimm is close behind him. The group told leadership on Saturday they have 25 members who are willing to bring down the rule.

That number of defections would defeat the rule, which, like all such votes, is a party-line affair. But &#8220;how many of them are going to follow up today with the pressure and everything else, I don&#8217;t know,&#8221; King told me in a phone interview.

King wants to pass a clean continuing-resolution bill. &#8220;This is going nowhere,&#8221; he says about the standoff with Senate Democrats. He notes that &#8220;if Obamacare is as bad as we say it&#8217;s going to be, then we should pick up a lot of seats in the next election and we should win the presidency in 2016. This idea of going through the side door to take something you lost through the front door &#8212; to me it&#8217;s wrong.&#8221;
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/359969/moderates-revolt-over-cr-jonathan-strong

Last comment is the money shot. If it's true Obamacare is going to be a disaster, let it play out and capitalize in 2014/2016.

OmniOne

Let's say King brings enough votes to kill the next bad CR. What then? Boehnor still won't put a clean CR on the floor. I don't see a way for this to end without Boehnor falling on his sword. I don't see him doing it.

gcubed

Let's say King brings enough votes to kill the next bad CR. What then? Boehnor still won't put a clean CR on the floor. I don't see a way for this to end without Boehnor falling on his sword. I don't see him doing it.

if the GOP can kill the GOP CR in the house, Boehner will bring up the clean CR for a full house vote. There is no way he or the GOP would let a family fight play out in public longer then a few hours.

if the GOP can kill the GOP CR in the house, Boehner will bring up the clean CR for a full house vote. There is no way he or the GOP would let a family fight play out in public longer then a few hours.

Exactly.

BTW he can only lose 17 GOP votes. If King isn't bullshitting, there's no way the CR passes. It's also worth noting that the Club For Growth doesn't like this CR either - because it's not far right enough. So it could end up failing due to losing votes from both the right right and the moderate right wings.

Hey guys, isnt October 1st the day the NEW budget is supposed to come out?

Why arent we adding more transit funding, rebuilding infrastructure, etc etc?

Why are the dems saying "plz give us a sequester size budget plz"

Rather than "lets talk about a 200 billion transit program, and we can compromise from there"

Exactly.

BTW he can only lose 17 GOP votes. If King isn't bullshitting, there's no way the CR passes. It's also worth noting that the Club For Growth doesn't like this CR either - because it's not far right enough. So it could end up failing due to losing votes from both the right right and the moderate right wings.
19, maybe. Jim Matheson and Mike McIntyre could still vote for it.

edit: ah, I understand that the discharge can't work after all

the story on the moderates

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/359969/moderates-revolt-over-cr-jonathan-strong

Last comment is the money shot. If it's true Obamacare is going to be a disaster, let it play out and capitalize in 2014/2016.

This is key: notice he doesn't say "Let's fight this again when the clean CR expires," or "Let's fight it with a full year budget", or even "Let's use it as a condition for raising the debt ceiling." He's willing to drop it. I wonder how much of the House GOP is at that point now.

gcubed

Hey guys, isnt October 1st the day the NEW budget is supposed to come out?

Why arent we adding more transit funding, rebuilding infrastructure, etc etc?

Why are the dems saying "plz give us a sequester size budget plz"

Rather than "lets talk about a 200 billion transit program, and we can compromise from there"

there hasn't been a budget in ages

remist

It blows my mind that people take seriously the idea that even though both sides agree that a government shutdown is undesirable, the appropriate compromise is attaching republican partisan bullshit to the CR. Like running the government responsibly is some kind of concession that requires a quid pro quo to the other side.

Rubenov

Don't take me off my hopium I want to see this moderate revolt succeed.

Seriously if we want to debate conservative vs. liberal ideals and way of governing that's fine, just don't fucking shutdown/default us while at it.

Diablos

LOL. Like fucking clockwork.

You want the government to be shutdown for a month? A bill needs to be stuck in committee for at least thirty days before you can discharge it.
God dammit.

There has to be another way.

BOEHNER PLEASE STOP BEING A WIMP. Who cares if he pisses off tea partiers?

Ruh roh:
RT @ericaelliott: At approx 8:00-8:15 p.m., the House will vote on the amendment to the CR.

Diablos

Robert Costa &#8207;@robertcostaNRO 38s
I hear King has a strong 10 w/ him, others interested, number may grow, keep an eye on the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom