• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 38s
I hear King has a strong 10 w/ him, others interested, number may grow, keep an eye on the floor

Keep in mind that Boehner also has to keep nearly every reactionary wacko, despite the fact that the CR doesn't defund Obamacare. If he loses 12 moderates and 12 reactionaries he's done.

@robertcostaNRO 2m

What may matter even more than CR vote: the next expected evening House GOP conf mtg, where it cld be clean CR vs another O'care ping

Hard to see how or why they'd ping pong another CR if this one fails at 8PM. Assuming the moderates blow up the CR at 8PM they aren't going to magically change their minds at 10 or 11PM.

Remember: it only takes the senate 20-30 minutes to table the House's shit, whereas the House takes hours to pass anything.

gcubed

Isnt now a good time to demand one?

It seems like once again the democrats are starting from a far right position and arguing from there. Rather then "lets do our jobs, make a real budget, and fund important thing"

there was one offered last year after similar grandstanding, the chambers refused to even talk about it

1378856_10202155033536063_988706911_n.jpg

I'll be here all week

Keep in mind that Boehner also has to keep nearly every reactionary wacko, despite the fact that the CR doesn't defund Obamacare. If he loses 12 moderates and 12 reactionaries he's done.

Done as the speaker or his own district? If I was Boehner I think I would be over trying to mediate these nutters. I do not envy his position.

Done as the speaker or his own district? If I was Boehner I think I would be over trying to mediate these nutters. I do not envy his position.
Curious how many Democrats would join the tea party in ousting Boehner if something like that ever got off the ground. They'd have to know whoever would replace him would be much worse, but on the other hand, it can't get much worse than it already is.

I just found the answer to the question I asked a day or two ago about if the approval rating for obamacare was including people that wanted it to go further, and probably don't want to go backwards into a republican plan.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/27/fact-check-is-obamacare-unpopular/

43% approve, 35% disapprove because too liberal, 16% disapprove because it's not liberal enough.

but my Fox News talking points tell me it's unpopular! /foxviewer

pigeon

Banned

I actually just meant that the CR wouldn't pass, at which point he'll basically have to bring up the clean CR. I honestly don't see Boehner losing the speakership.

Diablos

I actually just meant that the CR wouldn't pass, at which point he'll basically have to bring up the clean CR. I honestly don't see Boehner losing the speakership.
Is that his strategy? Say "see, I told you so, I held on for as long as I could but the majority of our party doesn't want it", then force a clean CR?

I can't see Boehner losing either unless he loses his election. But as far as his Speakership? Nah. Maybe if he ragequits. Democrats know there's a huge risk in voting for his ouster as his replacement could be someone more sympathetic to the 30 loons gambling on a shutdown right now.

Looks like the resolution has been adopted! Good times :\

Wow, someone just called C-SPAN crying saying he needs a metal hospital because he's so scared about the economy crashing.

This is what the media wants. Hysteria they are hoping some people go nuts and do something violent so they have more news to report.

The hillarious thing was CNN's headline earlier today "WILL THE LIGHTS GO OUT?"

Curious how many Democrats would join the tea party in ousting Boehner if something like that ever got off the ground. They'd have to know whoever would replace him would be much worse, but on the other hand, it can't get much worse than it already is.

Why would they help? Republicans in disarray would be amazing for Democratcs

Diablos

lol who's the dude with the game show host voice

RT @bindersab: House math: GOP conf = 232 (Rodney Alexander stepped down last wk.) That means 15 GOP defectors (not 16) take down the rule.

pigeon

Banned
I really wish they'd mint the coin just to get it out of the way so that there isn't a huge Twitterati outcry to mint the coin every time it comes up.

DarkFlow

Banned
You know at this point I might take a dictator like the republicans so fear. At least they keep the country running while they oppress us.

I get to go into work tomorrow. Gonna be fun!

‏@rebeccagberg 2m
A few tweeps asking why Bachmann, Gohmert, Broun, Steve King would oppose. They thought the new CR proposal didn't go far enough.
This group is easily my favorite.

What happens to unemployment benefits if there's a shutdown?

37. Would the government continue to pay unemployment benefits? Yes. The Employment and Training Administration "will continue to provide essential functions, as occurred during the shutdown of 1995," according to the Department of Labor contingency plan.

BONUS

28. Will the government still release economic data? Probably. The weekly unemployment claims number would still come out, and the September jobs report, due out Friday, probably will, too. The Department of Commerce reasons that some of its data is so economically sensitive that delaying it risks that it will be leaked.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tions-and-answers-about-the-shutdown/2888419/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom