• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
@robertcostaNRO 8m

MT @mpoindc: Senate aide: w/in hour House vote, Senate will send our clean CR to House stripped of whatever amendments they add

Translated, because it took me a sec:

Within one hour of the House vote, the Senate plans to send back a clean CR stripped of whatever amendments the House has added.

At the moment, it may not pass: there are 12 GOP defectors. Boehner can only afford 15.

thefro

Translated, because it took me a sec:

Within one hour of the House vote, the Senate plans to send back a clean CR stripped of whatever amendments the House has added.

At the moment, it may not pass: there are 12 GOP defectors. Boehner can only afford 15.

Who the heck are the 9 Dems voting yes? Would be razor thin otherwise (although Boehner got his 218).

pigeon

Banned
Who the heck are the 9 Dems voting yes? Would be razor thin otherwise (although Boehner got his 218).

Gotta watch the timing. Generally the red state Dems will wait to see 218 GOP votes and then cross the barricade to avoid taking the bad vote. Doesn't mean they wouldn't withhold their vote if it would kill the bill.

What's scary is that Teaparty house members leading this spectacle have absolutely nothing to lose even if the government shuts down forever and debt ceiling is never raised.

I think Obama sees this and is probably headed to Obamacave to figure out a deal.

Damn 9 Dems voted Yea on this, I mean really?

Probably shook about the Vitter amendment and delaying mandate. Typical democrat behavior: fold to blatant lies instead of combating them with effective messaging.

Reid can table the House bill within 30 minutes, whereas the House has proven it can't get anything done in a timely manner. If that Cruz aide isn't bullshitting, Boehner will probably start moving towards a clean CR.

3 hours to fuck around with, we'll see.

Top Cruz aide:

The messaging tomorrow: The Dems were willing to shut down the government because they refused to compromise. We were willing to compromise and kept the government open.

Essentially they want to invert the narrative going into the debt ceiling fight: We're the compromisers, they're the hardliners. Ted Cruz has already started:

“The question,” he continued, “is whether Harry Reid and the president will maintain the same negotiating position they have on the continuing resolution, which is we will bargain for nothing, give us 100 percent of what we want or we will threaten a default.”
Lie after lie.

pigeon

Banned
What's scary is that Teaparty house members leading this spectacle have absolutely nothing to lose even if the government shuts down forever and debt ceiling is never raised.

I think Obama sees this and is probably headed to Obamacave to figure out a deal.

Please don't diablos.

ISOM

Obama doesn't have anything to lose either. He's not up for reelection again. What he does have to lose though is his legacy if makes a deal on obamacare. I don't see him giving in.

Probably shook about the Vitter amendment and delaying mandate. Typical democrat behavior: fold to blatant lies instead of combating them with effective messaging.

Reid can table the House bill within 30 minutes, whereas the House has proven it can't get anything done in a timely manner. If that Cruz aide isn't bullshitting, Boehner will probably start moving towards a clean CR.

3 hours to fuck around with, we'll see.

It's really more than 3 hours since no one works til at least 7am really. Technically it would be a shut down but no one would care if congress passes it at 3am.

DarkFlow

Banned

You don't think they would have anything to lose? Well a job for one thing, and a platform to spout there shit is another. Take both away and they are just sad little people with no one to scream at.

On a sidenote, I don't really care about ObamaCare all that much because I get VA Healthcare for the rest of my life, but I think it's a good step in the right direction to universal healthcare.

Please don't diablos.

I'm not diablosing. How does one negotiate with an immovable object? I'm curious. It's obvious that Boehner is an abject failure and cannot control the minority voices, so who's going to make them understand?
You don't think they would have anything to lose? Well a job for one thing, and a platform to spout there shit is another. Take both away and they are just sad little people with no one to scream at.
They're not going to lose their jobs until they get redistricted in the chance that a democratic governor is in charge during the next census.

pigeon

Banned
I'm not diablosing. How does one negotiate with an immovable object? I'm curious. It's obvious that Boehner is an abject failure and cannot control the minority voices, so who's going to make them understand?

What don't you get about the word "minority?"

There's a majority in the House to pass the clean CR. This is all just getting to yes.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe members of the house don't have to worry about losing their job, but they certainly do want a majority in the house, senate, and the presidency to be able to have actual power instead of just sitting around being obstructionist.

What the hell will the new non-clean CR look like after Reid punts this one back?

This would be hilarious if it didn't fuck people over if it kept going.

thefro

This makes Boehner look so weak, lololol. But Reid can approve his crap in like 20 minutes.

I'm starting to think that Reid is going to talk for about 90 minutes here to run out the clock so that the House only has enough time to pass a clean bill before midnight.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell will the new non-clean CR look like after Reid punts this one back?

This would be hilarious if it didn't fuck people over if it kept going.

Maybe he can start proposing one month delays, then one week delays, then one day delays.

This whole thing has been so pointless if the republicans are going to instantly keep giving up various things. Even if they did have a right to this negotiation, negotiating like this would only lead to them getting nothing anyhow.

The last week has been so weird. But whatever, ACA basically starts tomorrow, and thus the beginning of the end of this 4 year long debate.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm pretty ashamed to be American today.. we look so fucking stupid right now.

The GOP isn't winning this fight, but they don't seem to know how to get out of this stupid jam they got themselves into.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is like a game of ping pong where one side is a regular player and the other side is someone that has to build a paddle out of wicker every hit

I love how the senators are so much more friendly with each other than representatives.

From the twittersphere

sxqf6.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I had to turn off CNN, there was a Rep House Member saying how what they sent to the Senate WAS a compromise. How his brain didn't try to strangle him I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom