• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

I saw some news outlet mention that the DOJ was looking at the constitution clause about the credit of the United States not being questioned. Couldn't Obama just unilaterally raise the debt limit if it came down to it? I'm sure it would be challenged in the courts but then what happens if obama loses in the courts wouldn't the country then default?

Sorry I'm thinking too much..

kingkitty

2 hours until party time.

Going for a conference is just...sigh

edit: lol Rep Woodall on Cspan arguing that each bill he helped send to the Senate was more moderate than the last. He's technically right!

Diablos

Luke Russert ‏@LukeRussert 30s
Reid: "We will not go to conference till we get a clean CR. Govt closes, what benefit do we get from that?"

Luke Russert ‏@LukeRussert 1m
Reid on going conference: "We will not go to conference with a gun to our head, House has to pass a 6 week CR."

I saw some news outlet mention that the DOJ was looking at the constitution clause about the credit of the United States not being questioned. Couldn't Obama just unilaterally raise the debt limit if it came down to it? I'm sure it would be challenged in the courts but then what happens if obama loses in the courts wouldn't the country then default?

Sorry I'm thinking too much..

I think that's the idea behind minting a trillion dollar coin. That can bypass congress.

DarkFlow

Banned
original.jpg
What happens if I put that in a coke machine?

BLACKLAC

Reid: "We will not go to conference till we get a clean CR. Govt closes, what benefit do we get from that?"

Reid on going conference: "We will not go to conference with a gun to our head, House has to pass a 6 week CR."

tumblr_mc6g3oUS4H1rqmmoko1_400_zps902f6b5f.gif~original

Reid should tell them: "No, we are not going to conference - and when we do, we are going to conference on the budget the Senate passed months ago. Not on a six-week continuing resolution."

Piecake

I think that's the idea behind minting a trillion dollar coin. That can bypass congress.

Yup, the treasurer or someone has the power to mint any coin denomination he wants. Law is already on the books so he doesnt need approval from the senate or have to deal with tricky constitutional issues. Basically its ending the debt ceiling forever since presidents can just mint another coin.

If congress want to end that idiocy, they can just repeal that law along with the debt ceiling. Everyone wins

What happens if I put that in a coke machine?

SImpsons did it and goddamnit if could find the video I would have posted it by now.

Yup, the treasurer or someone has the power to mint any coin denomination he wants. Law is already on the books so he doesnt need approval from the senate or have to deal with tricky constitutional issues. Basically its ending the debt ceiling forever since presidents can just mint another coin.

If congress want to end that idiocy, they can just repeal that law along with the debt ceiling. Everyone wins

Okay good I was right. I'm learnding

Rubenov

Minting a trillion dollar coin won't happen. Market implications will be akin to a default. It means the US has lost control and its currency can no longer be trusted.

Piecake

Minting a trillion dollar coin won't happen. Market implications will be akin to a default. It means the US has lost control and its currency can no longer be trusted.

Not true, the fed can simply sell the bonds its been buying to make it work. Its not going to cause massive inflation or instability

Crisco

Banned
My fiance is from Costa Rica and she talks to me about how their government is basically an organized crime ring. That would be preferable to this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My fiance is from Costa Rica and she talks to me about how their government is basically an organized crime ring. That would be preferable to this.

The GOP is already acting like this is the case though. Their entire negotiating strategy seems to be "That's a nice economy you've got there, be a shame if anything happened to it."

In other words, IMPEACHMENTS

pigeon

Banned

To the extent to which this is true, it's only because people keep SAYING it's true. If you want to protect the global economy you had better start saying that the trillion dollar coin will be totally fine and everyone will get ice cream, no matter what you secretly think, because the markets will take their cue on how to act from how everybody is saying the market should act if it happens.

I wish I was kidding.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Do you really think he'd rather shut down Obamacare forever than mint one measly little most valuable coin ever made?

The trillion dollar coin idea will get him laughed out of the room where all the VSP reside. Instead, what he should do is mint a couple of bricks of platinum, and say,"okay, a trillion bucks right there!". It would serve the same purpose as the coin, but at least it'll make it seem somewhat more reasonable.

Piecake

To the extent to which this is true, it's only because people keep SAYING it's true. If you want to protect the global economy you had better start saying that the trillion dollar coin will be totally fine and everyone will get ice cream, no matter what you secretly think, because the markets will take their cue on how to act from how everybody is saying the market should act if it happens.

I wish I was kidding.

Yup, in the short term the market consists of human feelings and robotic trade algorithms. Long term? Well, hopefully its efficient.

So how do these Senate House conferences get set up? What is the forum structure?

Who calls the shots? Who represents each body of Congress? Is this private?

Diablos

Do you really think he'd rather shut down Obamacare forever than mint one measly little most valuable coin ever made?
Didn't the Treasury reject that during the 2011 debt ceiling crisis? What makes you think they'd do it now? I just can't see it happening. 14th Amendment might be more likely.

Sessions looked really distraught, like he didn't really think sticking to defunding Obamacare was a good idea, at the start of the meeting.

Nancy Pelosi looks like she's about to cry right now.

This is fucking bad.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So how do these Senate House conferences get set up? What is the forum structure?

Who calls the shots? Who represents each body of Congress? Is this private?

More importantly, even if there's a conference committee, how are they supposed to resolve this by midnight?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm watching the Daily Show and it's like I'm Jon and Bill is my dad. They have the exact same debate style. It's super freaky.

Diablos

As soon as Van Hollen started mentioning repealing Obamacare his voice started trembling. Pelosi's eyes are getting watery.

pigeon

Banned
Didn't the Treasury reject that during the 2011 debt ceiling crisis? What makes you think they'd do it now?

What part of "mint the coin or face global economic apocalypse" wasn't clear?

Ruling out the coin was part of the "break the fever" strategy where Obama wanted to force the GOP to take reasonable votes on normal governing business to see if they decided they liked it. In order to make them take a vote on the debt ceiling, Obama had to rule out all possible alternatives. I understand that toilet training works along these lines as well.

However, since the GOP is apparently completely unwilling to take any more reasonable votes ever, it's time to go back to all the possible alternatives.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Nope, it would just prove how pathetic congress is.

Basically, since congress won't let the treasury take on any more credit, the federal reserve will debit their account now, then credit them later whenever congress finally DOES decide to let them take on more credit. And if they don't, then they'll just continue debiting their account so they have the funds needed to continue operating. And since the money just ping pongs back and forth between the fed and the treasury, it doesn't circulate throughout the economy or cause any inflation or anything.

It's just an accounting trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom