• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah. But here's the thing: Repeal hasn't been mentioned as much. It's about delaying now.

Dude, it's already open. You can go to the website right now, and if the servers had been designed correctly, you'd be able to buy insurance.

Delay is repeal now.

edit: Delaying the mandate would absolutely cause a bunch of insurance companies to go out of business. Frankly, if Boehner thought there was even a tiny chance that Democrats would have agreed to it, he would never have proposed it, because it would be a huge disaster.

Diablos

Dude, it's already open. You can go to the website right now, and if the servers had been designed correctly, you'd be able to buy insurance.

Delay is repeal now.
I said as much. Repeal is gone, delays is the new hotness.

As Senator Menendez said on C-SPAN it will make premiums rise if they delay it by a year, up to 20%.

Like I said - they delay it = higher premiums = higher political toll for Democrats in future elections = more likely that GOP will finally have their wet dream of repealing PPACA or "fixing" it.

What's left to delay at this point though? The mandate? Obama and Reid won't go for that, if they were willing to they'd have done it already.
And if the Republicans were going to give up on attacking PPACA they'd have done it already, too. So we're at a total standstill in that regard _with_ a Government shutdown. Shitty situation.

Diablos

edit: Delaying the mandate would absolutely cause a bunch of insurance companies to go out of business. Frankly, if Boehner thought there was even a tiny chance that Democrats would have agreed to it, he would never have proposed it, because it would be a huge disaster.
The Tea Party doesn't give a damn, obviously.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I said as much. Repeal is gone, delays is the new hotness.

As Senator Menendez said on C-SPAN it will make premiums rise if they delay it by a year, up to 20%.

Like I said - they delay it = higher premiums = higher political toll for Democrats in future elections = more likely that GOP will finally have their wet dream of repealing PPACA or "fixing" it.

There is nothing left to delay at this point. It's live. Besides, no one will go for a delay. The insurance companies would flip their shit if they thought there was a chance in hell of it happening. There is literally no move left for Boehner here but to concede. The Tea Party will go on beating their drum, but they'll be pushed into irrelevance as time passes.

Dartastic

More or less. Once they go live, if you try and take them away, you can be painted as trying to take away people's access to healthcare. The GOP itself has admitted that once the ACA goes into effect that they've lost the fight, no large social program passed in the last 50 years has ever been dismantled.
It's gonna be really awesome over the next couple days when millions of Americans see their healthcare premiums drop and realize that Obamacare isn't so bad after all. Real awesome.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's gonna be really awesome over the next couple days when millions of Americans see their healthcare premiums drop and realize that Obamacare isn't so bad after all. Real awesome.

Keep in mind they may not drop, they are on track to do so in NY but not everywhere, but they won't be rising quite as fast either.

EDIT: I actually looked into how much a platinum plan would run me, I already have insurance through my folks for another few years, and with subsidies it's about $350 a year. Which is not bad at all considering platinum is supposed to cover like 90% of my costs.

Boehner is about to hold a presser, Fox News will air it.

EDIT: guess MSNBC is too

Listening to Krauthammer saying that the he doesn't consider himself a Republican anymore is fucking golden.

Another thing: doesn't Cruz look pretty dumb for focusing on narrow CRs? All those narrow CRs do is give Obama and the senate the opportunity to take republican leverage away. Now the troops are getting paid, thus taking that talking point away and leaving republicans with nothing.

Diablos

LOL, I can't even pick security questions for healthcare.gov signup, but can put anything in the answer field.

THANKS OBAMA

House GOPers are DDoSing the website perhaps lel

For real? For the first time in my life I wish I had Fox News!

Krauthammer was even annoyed that instead of tomorrow being about the Obamacare glitches it's not about there being no panda cam. HE LOOKED SO SAD.

Seriously? No one tried to ask why Obama decided to shut down the government?

Well, someone did try to spin that this somehow gives Boehner more leverage on the debt ceiling, lol.

But yeah, it was pretty much everyone in agreement the GOP looks bad, here. They even argued the attempt to turn it on Reid failed.

Boehner up now.

He's actually taking questions instead of dropping the mic. Saying a whole lot of nothing though. Keeps saying the house has voted to keep the govt open and it's basically up to the senate and the president to capitulate to their demands in order to open the govt back up. Par for the course.

And lol he only took one question and then fucking bolted bahahaha
Problem?

DarkFlow

Banned
So since I get my healthcare from the VA, am I boned right now if I need something? I have crohn's disease and have flare ups sometimes, so this might be rough for me if the VA is screwed too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So since I get my healthcare from the VA, am I boned right now if I need something? I have crohn's disease and have flare ups sometimes, so this might be rough for me if the VA is screwed too.

I think you'll be fine. The military has been exempted from the shut down, I'm assuming that this stretches to the VA as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyway, I took a selfie in New York just to show you all what the shut down has led to. Honestly I expected far worse...

H38bsxU.png

Dartastic

Keep in mind they may not drop, they are on track to do so in NY but not everywhere, but they won't be rising quite as fast either.

EDIT: I actually looked into how much a platinum plan would run me, I already have insurance through my folks for another few years, and with subsidies it's about $350 a year. Which is not bad at all considering platinum is supposed to cover like 90% of my costs.
I do understand that, but there is a large segment of the population that has been against Obamacare and has a low income. When they see what this can ACTUALLY do for them, it's going to be very entertaining.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I do understand that, but there is a large segment of the population that has been against Obamacare and has a low income. When they see what this can ACTUALLY do for them, it's going to be very entertaining.

They don't even know that it is Obamacare doing it for them. The ACA polls incredibly well, while Obamacare polls very poorly (according to a report I saw on Maddow earlier tonight). Some will put two and two together, but I doubt most will.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, someone did try to spin that this somehow gives Boehner more leverage on the debt ceiling, lol.

But yeah, it was pretty much everyone in agreement the GOP looks bad, here. They even argued the attempt to turn it on Reid failed.

That's insane. Fox News didn't even get mad at Todd Akin after that legitimate rape thing.

What? You want in on this too?

Diablos

Reid has communicated that if they go to conference, they go with the Senate FY budget from this past April as a baseline - which removes the sequester. Add a debt ceiling hike in there, and we're golden.
That won't go over well. That won't go over at all. I'm happy Reid is starting out strong though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That won't go over well. That won't go over at all. I'm happy Reid is starting out strong though.

I'm happy he finally found his genitals, be them a tough as nails vagina or just a pair of big brass balls. We might actually get some good out of this if he can play his cards right.

That's insane. Fox News didn't even get mad at Todd Akin after that legitimate rape thing.

What? You want in on this too?
I just roll my eyes at "I'd hit it" posts everywhere. (Besides, I'm the only one of you with a shot at Maddow anyway. My odds are way better so I don't need to preen and posture :p)

Averon

I feel that this isn't just about ACA anymore.

The Dems needed to put their foot down on this recent phenomenon of hostage taking. If they'd caved in on this, hostages taking would be the new normal. There would be a never ending string of this shit. Can you imagine another 4-8 years of this shit if Hillary wins in 2016? And you know damn well every new hostage taking attempt will have the GOP demanding even more.

Diablos

The Dems needed to put their foot down on this recent phenomenon of hostage taking. If they'd caved in on this, hostages taking will be the new normal. There would be a never ending string of this shit. Can you imagine another 4-8 years of this shit if Hillary wins in 2016? And you know damn well every new hostage taking attempt will have the GOP demanding even more.
If Hillary runs a good campaign and wins she should be able to win back the House for the Dems. I really think it is possible.

pigeon

Banned
Reid has communicated that if they go to conference, they go with the Senate FY budget from this past April as a baseline - which removes the sequester. Add a debt ceiling hike in there, and we're golden.

"Removes the sequester" is kind of a shortchange of Patty Murray here. The Senate budget contains a trillion dollars in tax increases over ten years. It's to the left of the President's own budget. It's all kinds of anathema to the GOP House.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The Dems needed to put their foot down on this recent phenomenon of hostage taking. If they'd caved in on this, hostages taking will be the new normal. There would be a never ending string of this shit. Can you imagine another 4-8 years of this shit if Hillary wins in 2016? And you know damn well every new hostage taking attempt will have the GOP demanding even more.

Yep, this is why I am so happy everyone found their balls/vaginas. The fight over the ACA is basically over, it ended an hour and 47 minutes ago, but the fight against mafia-style negotiating is still on going. That's the important fight that needs to be won at almost any cost.

If Hillary runs a good campaign and wins she should be able to win back the House for the Dems. I really think it is possible.

Diablos, are you ok? If you need help post a picture of a cantaloupe.

Dartastic

They don't even know that it is Obamacare doing it for them. The ACA polls incredibly well, while Obamacare polls very poorly (according to a report I saw on Maddow earlier tonight). Some will put two and two together, but I doubt most will.
Fuck. You're right. Ughhhhhhhhhh.
Yep, this is why I am so happy everyone found their balls/vaginas. The fight over the ACA is basically over, it ended an hour and 47 minutes ago, but the fight against mafia-style negotiating is still on going. That's the important fight that needs to be won at almost any cost.
Agreed. That style of negotiation is destroying our country.

Diablos

"Removes the sequester" is kind of a shortchange of Patty Murray here. The Senate budget contains a trillion dollars in tax increases over ten years. It's to the left of the President's own budget. It's all kinds of anathema to the GOP House.
It's never going to pass of course, but is a great place to start.

Don't speak so soon, the GOP is determined to sabotage this law even if it means bankrupting the insurance industry. These people are not rational... at all.

It's also kind of funny how the GOP is a great michrocosm why libertarianism fails. Boehner became speaker and took a libertarian approach to his caucus. He wasn't going to strongarm people like past leaders. In effect, he was going to create a bunch of small councils to decide things.

And the result? utter chaos in the GOP ranks. Nobody is leading, nobody knows what to do, and it's a giant mess.

If you ever wanted to demonstrate to a libertarian why they're idealogy makes no sense, point them towards the current House GOP.

edit: Diablos - the GOP will eventually cave. Either than or the entire economy in the world craters with them. But Obama/Dems won't cave. I promise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom