• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What's most amusing about Reid's letter is, the Senate has been trying to come to conference with the House about a budget all year. The House GOP has been refusing, unless the Senate agreed to certain preconditions (which is not the normal process). The preconditions basically were, give the House GOP their budget. The Senate wanted a clean conference, and so we are stuck with CR's until they have one.

So Reid is just offering to return to normal governance, with no pre-concessions.

Boehner has put himself in such a corner that Reid is now exerting leverage of his own to force a normal conference - and a return to normal governance as a compromise. Boehner comes to the conference already weakened from this fiasco, and Reid is seeking to remove the added leverage Boehner has been after all year. I love it.

Yep, the house basically took the position "Fuck you, WE will start the process when WE feel like it, because revenue bills start in the house!"

It was a very immature position, and any time the senate passes a budget, the house has, traditionally, sent it back citing this, as it's one of the few powers the lower house of our legislature has over the upper house.

Karakand

Are the house members who represent areas around national parks supporting the shut down?

There must be dozens of towns whose only source of revenue are tourist. People only go to Wyoming to see Yellowstone. With the park shut down, the entire economy stops.

And those economies are rural republican constituencies.

It's the only reason I can think that nunes is breaking rank

IANATA, but people go to Jackson Hole (har har).
In the winter.

Cruz's next ploy are CRs focused on the intelligence community, bolstered by Clapper saying the departments should be funded.

18 republicans are on board with a clean CR, ensuring it would pass...but as others have said, they need to actually stand up and do something about it. If I was Harry Reid I'd probably be going to these guys, especially those from Virginia, and gauging interest in a clean CR w/end of sequestration.

Costa's reporting has mentioned that House leadership is weakened due to an inability to punish members, hence the tea party. This could be used to the advantage of democrats.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I love this shit. Republicans were all SHUT IT DOWN FUCK YEAH and now that they did they're trying to push for all these targeted funding bills for popular government functions to try and take some of the heat off them.

They'd probably be willing to pass a full budget if they could do it in a million separate pieces and look like bipartisan heroes.

Crisco

Banned
These piece meal funding bills are such a fucking joke. They are going to be used for nothing but FUD during the next election when they'll run commercials saying "so and so voted against x" with dramatic music playing in the background. It's goddamn criminal. There should be laws against elected officials acting like this. It's practically treason.

Wilsongt

These piece meal funding bills are such a fucking joke. They are going to be used for nothing but FUD during the next election when they'll run commercials saying "so and so voted against x" with dramatic music playing in the background. It's goddamn criminal. There should be laws against elected officials acting like this. It's practically treason.

Oh, they're already on the news with their chests puffed out saying that American will realize how horrible the ACA is and that it'll make the Dems look toxic, thus leading for a landslide for the GOP.

That bubble is the size of Jupiter.

Diablos

"Government Slimdown". Come on. That is way, way too overt to actually replace the phrase "Government Shutdown."

#tryingtoohard

Oh, they're already on the news with their chests puffed out saying that American will realize how horrible the ACA is and that it'll make the Dems look toxic, thus leading for a landslide for the GOP.

That bubble is the size of Jupiter.

If that's true, why all the fuss? What's amazing is their constituents can't see this.

Wilsongt

"Government Slimdown". Come on. That is way, way too overt to actually replace the phrase "Government Shutdown."

#tryingtoohard

Yep, slimming down all nonessential personnel. Sending them home without a paycheck. Congress and the Republicans who did this still get a paycheck.
Instant money saving!

Slimdown the government!

KingGondo

Banned
Some really juicy results in the newest PPP conspiracy theory poll:

Overall, 36% of Americans and 62% of Republicans believe that the Obama Administration is secretly trying to take everyone’s guns away; just 14% of Democrats believe the same.

One in four Americans say that President Obama is secretly trying to figure out a way to stay in office beyond 2017 – including almost half of Republicans (44%).

13% believe that the U.S. government engages in so-called “false flag” operations, where the government plans and executes terrorist or mass shooting events and blames those actions on others, 70% disagree. Republicans (21%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (9%) to believe this theory.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...scribe-to-government-conspiracy-theories.html

Wilsongt

Some really juicy results in the newest PPP conspiracy theory poll:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...scribe-to-government-conspiracy-theories.html

princewtf.gif

Yep. If its such an obvious result, why not let it play itself out and make the case (yet again) for repeal or drastic reform through normal channels?

If it's so terrible they would likely end up controlling all 3 branches too making the repeal a piece of cake. Public support would be high etc etc.

It's not some genius levels of critical thinking that leads one to this conclusion either.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
13% believe that the U.S. government engages in so-called “false flag” operations, where the government plans and executes terrorist or mass shooting events and blames those actions on others, 70% disagree. Republicans (21%) are more than twice as likely as Democrats (9%) to believe this theory.

It's weird that the one thing that's true is the one thing Americans believe the least. It's happened at least 3 or 4 times now.

Unless you're talking about events that end in successful killings. Those are all real.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I'm talking about. The question says "plans and executes," which I would take to mean that the operations are successful.

Oh, I take execute as meaning taking action. Not taking successful action.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Really?

Is that a parody account?

Nope. Republican water coolers are going hard on the memorial closures. As if anyone is just shutting them down purposely to shit on vets and not because this is just one of many good things our government stewards over that gets shut down when one party acts like a bunch of twats.

This is why the piecemeal spending bills are bullshit. All they would do is take the pressure off Republicans for causing the shut down in the first place.

Diablos

No disrepsect to vets, but is the whole manufactured argument about veterans really a viable argument for anyone younger than 60 years old?

It's loaded with mind-numbing bullshit.

Bash: You all talked about children with cancer unable to go to clinical trials. The House is presumably going to pass a bill that funds the NIH. Will you, at least, pass that? And if not, aren't you playing the same political games that republicans are?

REID: Listen, Senator Durbin explained that very well. And he's, did it here, did it on the floor earlier, as did Senator Schumer, and it's this: What right do they have to pick and choose what part of government's going to be funded? It's obvious what's going home here. You talk about reckless and irresponsible. Wow. What this is all about is Obamacare. They are obsessed. I don't know what other word I can use. I don't what other word I can use. They are obsessed with this Obamacare thing.

As has been pointed out on the floor in the past few days, they did the same thing on Social Security, they did the same thing on Medicare, now they're doing it on this. It's working now and it'll continue to work and people will love it even more than they do now by far. So they have no right to pick and choose.

BASH: But if you can help one child, why won't you do it?

REID: I, listen...

SCHUMER: Why pit one against the other?

REID: Why, why, why would we want to do that? I have, I have 1100 people at Nellis Air Force Base that are sitting home. They have, they have a few problems of their own. This is, to have someone of your intelligence suggest such a thing maybe means you're as irresponsible and reckless
Holy shit @ Bash's question. What the fuck was she thinking? Trying to catch Reid off-guard? Not even Fox News goes this far in the press room.

Tamanon

Banned
Now, I'm guessing Bash won't ask the same type of question to Boehner about why he wants to shut down the government just because he thinks too many people get healthcare.

Now, I'm guessing Bash won't ask the same type of question to Boehner about why he wants to shut down the government just because he thinks too many people get healthcare.

I guess the reality was getting too lopsided against the Republicans so CNN was trying to turn it into a "both parties are to blame!" narrative. That's their mojo.

Barack Obama said:
No I think this time’s different.I think they should be concerned. I had a chance to speak to some of the financial industry who came down for their typical trip, and I told them that it is not unusual for Democrats and Republicans to disagree. That’s the way the Founders designed our government. Democracy’s messy, but when you have a situation in which a faction is willing potentially to default on US government obligations then we are in trouble. If they’re willing to do it now, they’ll be willing to do it later.

One thing that I often hear is, ‘Well, Mr. President even if they’re being unreasonable, why can’t you just do something that makes them happy now?” And I have to remind people, what I have to remind people is what we are debating now would keep the government open for 2 months. We would then be going through this exact same thing in the middle of Christmas shopping season, which I don’t think many businesses would be interested in. We saw what happened in 2011, and then we’d have go through it again six months from now, and six months after that. And one thing I know the American people are tired of, and I have to assume the vast majority of businesses are tired of is this constant governing from crisis to crisis, so in that sense, do we have to break that fever? Absolutely. We have to stop doing that.

Where were these balls before these clowns got elected?

More like obamasux.gov

Its really the fed website that has failed.

Coveredca.com is working fine (incidentally, is coveredcalifornia.com a scam?)

Covered California's website got 5 million Web page views by 3 p.m. And at its peak, the site was getting 16,000 views per minute, according to Covered California officials. Also, some 17,000 phone calls had been logged at service centers.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/10/01/3529698/slow-start-to-obamacare-signups.html#storylink=cpy

@brianbeutler 10m

Van Hollen just appealed chair's ruling that the Dem motion to force a vote on the Senate CR was out of order.
@brianbeutler 9m

Republicans moved to table the appeal. If Peter King and the rest really want to keep the government open, they'll vote against tabling.

They won't do shit. And tomorrow they'll once again be the toast of establishment media as they bemoan the tea party. Put up or shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom