• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

i wonder if the house gop is now having to wage the decision of it being better to get primaried by tea party idealists or face an angry general populace a year from now. it'll probably be a little of both.

The leadership has to be going out of their minds, especially with the 20 or so that said they'd vote for a clean CR... Especially there, a tea party challenge is basically a D win

Diablos

I've said 100 times now: They are fucked either way, which is why I wish they'd come to their senses and bite the bullet now opposed to later when the economy collapses AND EVERYONE STILL HATES THEM.

I think it goes back to the "Pride" statement made by the GOP rep. That's exactly what it is. They have stale pride and cannot come to terms with the fact that appeasing the Tea Party to this point has done them no favors and will lose them a lot of seats next year.

They are quite close to losing the house if they don't get their act together and soon.

i wonder if the house gop is now having to wage the decision of it being better to get primaried by tea party idealists or face an angry general populace a year from now. it'll probably be a little of both.

It depends on where they are. I can only comment on PA-07 and PA-08, but both of those representatives held onto their seats via razor thin margins in areas that are progressively getting more democratic. There IS no tea party threat there, they survive by the grace of moderate republicans and ambivalent democrats.

Something like this WILL be brought up next year and WILL get them kicked out of office. That's not an "if", that's a certainty. if any other representatives are in the same boat (likely, given where these districts are) i can see a clean CR happening.

Piecake

the perfect compromise - Adopt non-partisan computer generated districts. institute mandatory voting for primaries. the top two vote getters go into a general election that also has mandatory voting. abolish the debt ceiling and get rid of the CR. If you can't pass a budget then the last one that was passed is automatically used.

Everyone wins! Republicans are saved from their own stupidity and we have a democracy that will function better.

the perfect compromise - Adopt non-partisan computer generated districts. institute mandatory voting for primaries. the top two vote getters go into a general election that also has mandatory voting. abolish the debt ceiling and get rid of the CR. If you can't pass a budget then the last one that was passed is automatically used.

Everyone wins! Republicans are saved from their own stupidity and we have a democracy that will function better.

Mandatory voting will never work here. First amendment, brah. Besides, republicans rely on disenfranchising voters to stay in office. higher turnout is a death sentence for them. Otherwise we would have already had holiday voting/saturday voting/early voting everywhere it's feasible.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The thing that confuses me about the "obama didn't really mean it" 14th admendment theory is that he didn't say he's not going to do it, he said he doesn't have the power to use it. You'd think the first one would have gotten the point across just fine without saying you'd be breaking the law to do it. It doesn't allow a whole lot of wiggle room to back out of.

I'm more for the coin anyhow. Let's end this debt backed inflation economy and try out a mint backed inflation economy. Debt is a lot more top down, while the mint would be a lot more bottom up. I mean if the economy is already screwed, why not try it?

Piecake

Mandatory voting will never work here. First amendment, brah. Besides, republicans rely on disenfranchising voters to stay in office. higher turnout is a death sentence for them. Otherwise we would have already had holiday voting/saturday voting/early voting everywhere it's feasible.

http://harvardlawreview.org/media/pdf/compulsory_voting.pdf

However, the very idea that a right, by definition can be waived is false. Numerous rights cannot be wiaved, and, although many others can, this still does not imply the general existence of inverse rights. The Supreme Court observed this in Stringer v United states, in which it upheld a federal rule that requires government consent in order for a ciminal defendat to waive his right to a jury trial. The court declared that "the ability to waive a consititutaional right does not ordinarily carry with it the right to insist upon the opposite of that right," and cited several examples of this principle in the context of a criminal defendant's Sixth amendemnt rights: the right to a public trial, the right to be tried in the state and distrit where the crime was committed, and the right to confront the government's witnesses"

Precedence

I'm scratching my head over how that's precedence. The second you REQUIRED someone to vote for a candidate, you would run smack into first amendment claims that the right NOT to vote is also speech- which it pretty much is.

given that the current supreme court seems to interpret even spending money by corporations as "speech" this isn't much of a stretch.

edit: it appears the document you link to also confirms that this is the biggest problem with compulsory voting, but gives a fairly weak argument against it. the ability to write in a candidate in no way gets around the government being unable to restrict freedom of speech/expression.

Diablos

The thing that confuses me about the "obama didn't really mean it" 14th admendment theory is that he didn't say he's not going to do it, he said he doesn't have the power to use it. You'd think the first one would have gotten the point across just fine without saying you'd be breaking the law to do it. It doesn't allow a whole lot of wiggle room to back out of.
Precisely.

I'm more for the coin anyhow. Let's end this debt backed inflation economy and try out a mint backed inflation economy. Debt is a lot more top down, while the mint would be a lot more bottom up. I mean if the economy is already screwed, why not try it?
Because it is completely unprecedented and the implications would not be known.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Precisely.

Because it is completely unprecedented and the implications would not be known.

First time for everything. Same could be said about the move from gold to debt.

Worst thing that could happen is the government abuses its new power, but then we could just put a legal limit on it that congress could vote to increase every year to keep us in check. Whatever could go wrong?

Hey guys, global warming, amirite???

b4fee452-f0c6-4cc7-911a-c3ec0083e621_320x180.jpg

wtf is climate change

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, it's fucking 80 here in Pittsburgh despite being Oct. 6.

It's 70 in NYC. I went to my folks place for dinner and they were BBQing. It's October and they're talking about needing to get another propane tank. It's like summer's never going to end.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The mentions of a possible to move to impeach Obama in the unlikely event he used the 14th reminded me somebody mentioned here there were possible legal ramifications for the House in this situation. But I forget the specifics.

Is there actually a credible legal threat the Administration can bring to bear should the House continue to not only perpetuate the situation but effectively cause default?

In an environment where Tea Party Republicans apparently do not care about the suffering or others and seemingly would happily watch the world burn rather than let Democrats and Obama "have their way", is the threat of constituent suffering in a continued rolling into default enough? Does the Administration have any angle to make this personal for House Republicans by raising the prospect of criminal charges?

My knowledge in this area is really lacking (I'm mainly learning about American politics by osmosis).

Wilsongt

It's muggy at fuck here. Karen decided to fizzle out instead of raining here in SC. Now we just get the muggy, tropical air from it. Fuck.

Both houses of Congress will be back in session on Monday afternoon after making no progress toward breaking the budget deadlock last week. With Mr. Boehner and other Republicans expanding their demands from changes in the health care law to broader budget reductions to Medicare and Medicaid, senior administration officials said the White House would challenge them to propose specific savings they want from Medicare, the popular health care programs for older Americans.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/u...to-raise-debt-ceiling.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Good to see the WH learning. Force the other side to lay out their plan to cut old people's care, don't do it for them.

Diablos

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/u...to-raise-debt-ceiling.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Good to see the WH learning. Force the other side to lay out their plan to cut old people's care, don't do it for them.
"Expanding their demands" -- so fucking Obamacare implementation stays intact? smh x infinity

Robert Costa
‏@robertcostaNRO
A good gauge of dealmaking this wk: The extent Ryan is out there, pub and priv, talking details of budget deal/framework/options--if at all
Whatever that means, Mr. Costa.

Anybody read that Scalia interview? He's really concerned about the devil and gets his news from the Washington Times and talk radio. Explains a lot.

Jooney

I think congressional subsidies are the least important thing to note about this disaster of a bill. The fact it was passed without a single republican vote pisses me off even more. But most infuriating is the control these bastards will have over our lives; so the next time the democrats want to force spending through, they'll close parks, memorials and the exchanges while blaming republicans. I'd never choose to hand over that kind of control to the government. Live free or die

One of those Facebook posts where you don't even know where to begin. It's like it's from anti-poligaf.

One of those Facebook posts where you don't even know where to begin. It's like it's from anti-poligaf.
The obsession that it was passed without republican votes annoys me too. It ignores how republicans rejected every attempt to make the bill more to their liking.

Also how many confederates voted for the 13th amendment?

Jooney

The obsession that it was passed without republican votes annoys me too. It ignores how republicans rejected every attempt to make the bill more to their liking.

More than the number of republicans who voted for the ACA, I think? That could make a great point.

IceCold

It's most probably not because of a specific post, but a combo of many. Mods must have gotten fed up of her 'I'm a woman, men are inferior" shtick.

pigeon

Banned

Confederates can't vote in the House of Representatives. (I'm probably getting trolled.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom