• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
districts are generally +4r right now, right? because of the gerrymandering? so if they do this shit again, we'll probably see the dems sweep the house back up with a decent margin, right?

would be nice if the last two years of obama was about immigration reform and energy.
Yeah. The gerrymander has made it so that in a neutral year, the GOP can continue to enjoy decent majorities. But all it takes is 3 or 4 points in one direction and they all fall.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Now is the perfect time for Chris Christie to start railing against the do-nothings in Washington. A "Get America back to work" spiel could really spark him.

He'd run away with reelection if he did, but it'd kill him in the future primary.

These numbers are straight up bananas! Bananas get in here! You'll love this shit!

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 7m
No one wants to be a partisan. Party-ID in NBC/WSJ (w/o pushing independents): D28, R17

lmao. No one wants to be associated with the GOP anymore.

emptywheel ‏@emptywheel 5m
Am I right in understanding that holding the economy hostage has proven EVEN LESS POPULAR than the Iraq War?

Oh lord.

Man, this has to be the most disastrous poll possible. It couldn't get much worse than this. Poor GOP.

789shadow

Banned
iQ5zICsdnkNmR.png

Riki

lmao. No one wants to be associated with the GOP anymore.

Oh lord.

Man, this has to be the most disastrous poll possible. It couldn't get much worse than this. Poor GOP.

Poor my ass. They deserve this and much much more. I want to see single digit numbers!

New NBC/WSJ poll shows:

People blame GOP over Obama more than during the Clinton shutdown (22 point margin now)

Obamacare more favorable, only 38/41 now.

Generic ballot +8 Dems

GOP favorability at record low 24% (lol!) while Obama at 47%

Ted Cruz 62% agree for him to commit seppuku on white house steps

Tea Party at 21% favorability, also an all-time low

Boehner has 17% favorability.

One more: New NBC/WSJ poll a disastrous story for GOP. 70% say Cong. Repubs are putting their OWN political agendas ahead of the good of the country

One of the above isn't true.

This along with Obama holding firm is making me a very happy man !!

Jooney

Just looked at the polling again - Harry Reid deserves better. 18% currently.

Because he's the hero America deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight

remist

My bet is that enough republicans won't be phased at all by this and think they can spin Obama's latest refusal. I think we're still headed for default.

BLACKLAC

My bet is that enough republicans won't be phased at all by this and think they can spin Obama's latest refusal. I think we're still headed for default.

Then Obama does a press conference and shuts their BS down.

Followed by a State of the Union Address next week.

Fuchsdh

HOLY FUCK. I didn't even think of this

Is that really surprising? Wars where there's no clear pain to the vast majority of Americans, versus services everyone uses shutting down and people getting furloughed left and right?

It's common sense that people will respond to what hits closer to home.

Diablos

Actually yes because the Iraq war was a total clusterfuck and people were so angry and it transpired over a really long period of time. Not only did it hurt the economy, it was bad foreign policy and Americans were _dying_ for nothing.

Yet in the short span of time since the GOP threw a hissy fit they have already dipped below those levels.

Fuchsdh

Actually yes because the Iraq war was a total clusterfuck and people were so angry and it transpired over a really long period of time. Not only did it hurt the economy, it was bad foreign policy and Americans were _dying_ for nothing.

Yet in the short span of time since the GOP threw a hissy fit they have already dipped below those levels.

I'm not arguing that the Iraq War wasn't worse (although if you really want to get into equivalency I suppose we could take sides on whether the US defaulting and causing a global recession would cause more ill in the world than the comparatively smaller number of people killed and maimed by the war), I'm saying that people are pretty simple when it comes to seeing what they'll respond to, and the Iraq War has way less impact on people's day-to-day lives than this, so it's entirely reasonable people respond more strongly. No changing human nature.

remist

Then Obama does a press conference and shuts their BS down.

Followed by a State of the Union Address next week.
If Boehner capitulates he'll basically be admitting he shut down the government for no reason and without the support of the American people. I think he's desperate enough that he will take us over the edge if he doesn't get a consolation prize.

And by a 52-percent-to-44 percent difference, respondents believe the government should do more to solve problems. Back in June, the public was split, 48 percent to 48 percent, on whether the government should do more or less.

Give me your tears GOP. GIVE ME YOUR TEARS

The Times story walked back the White House rejection, saying instead, "President Obama and House Republicans failed to reach agreement on a six-week extension of the nation’s borrowing authority during a meeting Thursday at the White House, but both sides agreed to keep talking and the Republican offer was seen as a first step toward ending the budget standoff."

:(

Diablos

If Boehner capitulates he'll basically be admitting he shut down the government for no reason and without the support of the American people. I think he's desperate enough that he will take us over the edge if he doesn't get a consolation prize.
Dude, what do you think part of the reason Obama didn't take the deal just now was?
Not allowing Boehner to hijack the US economy. That "short term" deal was a long term knife in the back to the President and ultimately the country. Any fool can see this.

He's got his cards close to his chest and now I can really see why they shyed away from talking about extraordinary measures for so long -- Boehner and co. are literally insane.

I've said before that I work at a conservative news/talker, and because computers like to be fickle, I had to do my top of hour newscast in the control room.

Looked over at the call screening computer, first caller's comment: "The Tea Party can win big on this one."

The tears will likely be rather impressive at the end of all this.

EDIT:

Fake his death in a tanning bed accident. Reappear later as "The Masked Representative".

If this means good ol' J.R. is calling C-SPAN coverage, I will support this idea.

Riki

I've said before that I work at a conservative news/talker, and because computers like to be fickle, I had to do my top of hour newscast in the control room.

Looked over at the call screening computer, first caller's comment: "The Tea Party can win big on this one."

The tears will likely be rather impressive at the end of all this.

This reminds me of a kind of "Alternate GAF" someone found during the Election, where everyone was super Republican. And they were all saying this would be the easiest win for Romey.
That was fun to watch.

Diablos

WASHINGTON — WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House says President Barack Obama and Republican leaders reached no specific determination on how to end the partial government shutdown or raise the nation's debt ceiling. The White House, however, described the meeting as good and said Obama looked forward to progress.

Obama met Thursday with 20 House Republicans, including Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur), in the White House Roosevelt Room. The Republicans offered a plan for a temporary extension of the federal debt ceiling and immediate negotiations over how to end the partial government shutdown, now in its 10th day.

Obama has insisted on the government reopening before initiating budget talks.

The meeting lasted about 90 minutes. It came after Obama met with Senate Democrats.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

The White House says House Speaker John Boehner's proposal for a short-term deal to increase the nation's borrowing limit is an "encouraging sign."

Spokesman Jay Carney says President Barack Obama prefers a longer agreement to lift the debt ceiling and wants Republicans to pass a spending bill to reopen the federal government. But he did not specifically say the president would reject a proposal, like Boehner's, that does not also open the government.

Carney says the White House has not seen a specific plan from the House GOP. Boehner and other members of his caucus are scheduled to meet with the president at the White House Thursday afternoon.
Yeah, they probably laid out some groundwork. But Obama isn't going to fold on something that limits his authority to save the country's economy from barfing on the global economy when you have 40-50 ideological nutjobs in the House GOP who don't live in the real world.

Jooney

Some observations:
1) It’s amazing how much more resolute a President can be when he doesn't have to run for re-election
2) For all the talk that both parties are to blame, it’s nice to see the general public reward the Dems for standing on principle and not caving like they usually do
3) Messaging from the Dems have been much tighter, and I think there has been a clear delineation within Dem leaders on who does what (Reid managing the negotiations, Obama being the spokesman and knocking it out of the park with his statement and press conference yesterday, Biden staying the fuck away, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom